ImageImageImageImageImage

Phase 4 / The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019” 

Post#1121 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Then yall can trade him for Gallo, Saric, or whatever crap people are clamoring for on here if he's so "injury prone". 10 games missed in December of last season isn't much and this year was a freak accident. If his foot breaks again, then I'll take all of this seriously honestly. I could care less about his college injuries now that he's under the supervision of the Nets medical staff.

1) no one (and a least certainly not me) wants to trade him for someone like Gallo or Saric. That is absurd injury risk or not. From the posts I read from Netsfan and VC4P it was more just "im open to moving him in the right deal/he wouldnt be a hold up in a blockbuster trade"

2) if it was just 10 missed games, i wouldnt call him injury prone. but he missed the All/the majority of 3 of the past 4 seasons. I know the ankle injury was a freak accident, but that doesnt make it the worlds strongest ankle moving forward. Ankle + foot injuries long term probably arent a great combo. im not saying he will be glass joe the rest of his career, but he is 100% the absolute definitiion of injury prone. he has been constantly injured with both freak and non freak injuries and for long and short periods.

maybe he will enjoy 12 more mainly injury free years moving forward... but the risk is certainly there

3) not caring about his college injuries to me seems absurd conidering they were major foot injuries and just a few years ago. its not like he broke his hand in college 15 years ago. those injuries are very relevant
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1122 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 6, 2019 7:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:All these free agent situations are incredibly fluid. It's easy to say Tobias is a lock to stay in Philly now but what happens if he's the 5th option and Butler is starting fights in the locker room?

I'd never bet on a player leaving if he's on a successful team and playing the role he wants. But out of Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, Philly - at least 2 are getting bounced in the 2nd round. They all have key FAs and that could REALLY sway their decision.

Philly is a lock for the NBA finals barring injury. No way can I see Harris and Butler leaving a winning situation.

id still put Philly clearly behind toronto and maybe milwaukee too.

Kawhi is just too good, and the clear best in the conference. Milwaukee is playing great and are deeper after their own trades. philly has talent, but not a ton of depth and they dont really mesh well.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#1123 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 6, 2019 8:04 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:All these free agent situations are incredibly fluid. It's easy to say Tobias is a lock to stay in Philly now but what happens if he's the 5th option and Butler is starting fights in the locker room?

I'd never bet on a player leaving if he's on a successful team and playing the role he wants. But out of Milwaukee, Toronto, Boston, Philly - at least 2 are getting bounced in the 2nd round. They all have key FAs and that could REALLY sway their decision.

Philly is a lock for the NBA finals barring injury. No way can I see Harris and Butler leaving a winning situation.

Kawhi is just too good, and the clear best in the conference. Milwaukee is playing great and are deeper after their own trades. philly has talent, but not a ton of depth and they dont really mesh well.

Toronto has quietly been underachieving over the last couple of months after a hot start. I agree with MDB. I think the 76ers are clear favorites in the East (barring an Embiid injury or Butler meltdown).
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,885

Post#1124 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:09 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

We don't know how they'll mesh. On paper Embiid/Harris/Butler/Reddick/Simmons is an elite starting 5. Playoff time depth only matters so much when you're only going 8 deep in most games.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1125 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 6, 2019 9:13 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Then yall can trade him for Gallo, Saric, or whatever crap people are clamoring for on here if he's so "injury prone". 10 games missed in December of last season isn't much and this year was a freak accident. If his foot breaks again, then I'll take all of this seriously honestly. I could care less about his college injuries now that he's under the supervision of the Nets medical staff.

1) no one (and a least certainly not me) wants to trade him for someone like Gallo or Saric. That is absurd injury risk or not. From the posts I read from Netsfan and VC4P it was more just "im open to moving him in the right deal/he wouldnt be a hold up in a blockbuster trade"

2) if it was just 10 missed games, i wouldnt call him injury prone. but he missed the All/the majority of 3 of the past 4 seasons. I know the ankle injury was a freak accident, but that doesnt make it the worlds strongest ankle moving forward. Ankle + foot injuries long term probably arent a great combo. im not saying he will be glass joe the rest of his career, but he is 100% the absolute definitiion of injury prone. he has been constantly injured with both freak and non freak injuries and for long and short periods.

maybe he will enjoy 12 more mainly injury free years moving forward... but the risk is certainly there

3) not caring about his college injuries to me seems absurd conidering they were major foot injuries and just a few years ago. its not like he broke his hand in college 15 years ago. those injuries are very relevant

off the top of my head, LeVert played 50 something games in his rookie year because he was recovering from surgery + Nets are slow bringing guys back

last year he played around 70+ games. that isn't missing the majority of a season

this year is the first of his nba career where he missed substantial time and it was not dude to some reoccurring injury. Ankle dislocations are freak accidents. if LeVert's foot starts seeing issues like how we saw with Brook early on in his career, I'll buy what you're selling.

Rockice_24
Starter
And1: 816

Post#1126 » by Rockice_24 » Wed Feb 6, 2019 10:08 pm

If we could trade for Beal I would do it. I think we could convince Kawhi to come if we had a core of D-Lo, Beal, Allen.

Would something built around Crabbe (expiring) and some other grouping of Musa, Rodi and picks in the offseason be enough to land him? Would Kawhi come play PF for us if we had D-Lo, Beal, Levert, Din, Harris, PF?, Allen

Beal should be a target if the price is right.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1127 » by Keith Van Horn » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:00 pm

Rockice_24 wrote:If we could trade for Beal I would do it. I think we could convince Kawhi to come if we had a core of D-Lo, Beal, Allen.

Would something built around Crabbe (expiring) and some other grouping of Musa, Rodi and picks in the offseason be enough to land him? Would Kawhi come play PF for us if we had D-Lo, Beal, Levert, Din, Harris, PF?, Allen

I like Beal, but he’s going to be expensive, especially if you’re sending Crabbe back. Probably Denver pick plus a 2020 top 5 protected pick. Does Washington own their own pick next year?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1128 » by vincecarter4pres » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:06 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
Rockice_24 wrote:If we could trade for Beal I would do it. I think we could convince Kawhi to come if we had a core of D-Lo, Beal, Allen.

I like Beal, but he’s going to be expensive, especially if you’re sending Crabbe back. Probably Denver pick plus a 2020 top 5 protected pick. Does Washington own their own pick next year?

I think you're talking more. At least add Musa and a couple seconds. Maybe Kurucs too, or an additional 1st.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#1129 » by Paradise » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:09 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Claud wrote:Tobias Harris does not move the needle much for me. Sure, he's a perfect fit in theory since we lack any quality forwards but I'd rather stay the course instead of locking into mediocrity.

KD,Kawhi or bust this summer for me. If we bust we keep with the organic rebuild and try again in 2020 when Porzingis and others become FAs.

Then you're going to be looking at a bust. Durant and Leonard have not been once even remotely realistic options.

Our 2019 summer free agency just got blown to smithereens.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Last week:

Read on Twitter
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1130 » by TheNetsFan » Wed Feb 6, 2019 11:20 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:

Washington probably wants more than a 2020 pick. Given the Wall injury, they could justify a complete blow up and 2 draft tank. Beal and Porter are not enough to be more than a fringe playoff team, and Washington lacks the ability to add much. Would Marks entertain trading for both? Crabbe+Carroll+Dudley would match salary and get Washington under the tax threshold. We'd have to add picks and maybe LeVert, but both adds would be very good system fits.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#1131 » by SpeedyG » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:09 am

Philly didn't give up what they gave up just to let Harris walk. If he's really willing to walk away from all that money, great. But it wouldn't be for lack of effort on Philly

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Paradise

Post#1132 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:44 am

Otto Porter Jr to Chicago

Read on Twitter
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Post#1133 » by Rich Rane » Thu Feb 7, 2019 12:50 am

Paradise wrote:Otto Porter Jr to Chicago

Read on Twitter

Probably would've asked for a first if I was Chicago to take on Porter's contract.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1134 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:01 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

off the top of my head, LeVert played 50 something games in his rookie year because he was recovering from surgery + Nets are slow bringing guys back

last year he played around 70+ games. that isn't missing the majority of a season

this year is the first of his nba career where he missed substantial time and it was not dude to some reoccurring injury. Ankle dislocations are freak accidents. if LeVert's foot starts seeing issues like how we saw with Brook early on in his career, I'll buy what you're selling.

how is "recovering from an injury" something that doesnt get factoreed in to being injury prone?

his nba career is 2.5 seasons. he has missed 1/3 of his NBA games due to injury. you can throw away college, but ignorance doesnt equal health here
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#1135 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:04 am

Rich Rane wrote:

Read on Twitter

Probably would've asked for a first if I was Chicago to take on Porter's contract.

yup... There are worst contracts then porter... like Parsons. but he is a role player who has declined making close to 30 million for multiple years. he certainly has negative value, especially to a team where he isnt a 4th player glue guy.

I would be all-in on porter if/when the bulls buy him out and stretch him
TheNetsFan
Head Coach

Post#1136 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:20 am

Prokorov wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Read on Twitter

yup... There are worst contracts then porter... like Parsons. but he is a role player who has declined making close to 30 million for multiple years. he certainly has negative value, especially to a team where he isnt a 4th player glue guy.

I would be all-in on porter if/when the bulls buy him out and stretch him

Porter only has 2 years left. His contract is not that bad. Bulls got a solid young player for expiring contracts and a distant future 2nd. Good for them. I would've been ok with us doing that this summer.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1137 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:45 am

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Claud wrote:Tobias Harris does not move the needle much for me. Sure, he's a perfect fit in theory since we lack any quality forwards but I'd rather stay the course instead of locking into mediocrity.

KD,Kawhi or bust this summer for me. If we bust we keep with the organic rebuild and try again in 2020 when Porzingis and others become FAs.

Then you're going to be looking at a bust. Durant and Leonard have not been once even remotely realistic options.

Our 2019 summer free agency just got blown to smithereens.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Last week:

Read on Twitter

The very idea that the Sixers gave up all of those assets to rent Harris is ludicrous. He most likely receives a 5 year max extension. The Sixers have stated they want to keep their "big 4" together.

I'll believe it when I see it. Elton Brand would deserve to be fired if the Nets end up stealing him from them. I doubt it happens, unfortunately.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1138 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 7, 2019 1:47 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

how is "recovering from an injury" something that doesnt get factoreed in to being injury prone?

his nba career is 2.5 seasons. he has missed 1/3 of his NBA games due to injury. you can throw away college, but ignorance doesnt equal health here

I'm not going to argue it, if you're going to paint this picture like Caris LeVert is getting banged up every other day like Rondae has been, by all means you win.

Paradise

Sean Marks: “We have a year to prepare for summer of 2019”  

Post#1139 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 7, 2019 4:52 am

Former Cavs GM...