Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,563

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#181 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 am

Read on Twitter

Where is FEMA?

There's a reason I keep saying in this thread that America is a **** hole country. Look at what is happening around you.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#182 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:40 pm

Read on Twitter

While this still sucks because a 50-50 tie means that Pence gets to cast tie breaking votes, this makes a 2020 Senate take over by the Dems seriously in play. Hopefully the best case scenario plays out.

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#183 » by gigantes » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:45 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

While this still sucks because a 50-50 tie means that Pence gets to cast tie breaking votes, this makes a 2020 Senate take over by the Dems seriously in play. Hopefully the best case scenario plays out.

Woah. After voting, like a doofus I didn't pay too much attention to the results other than a basic recap of who was in control of each house. I had no idea the Dems had even gotten close to 50-50.

I have no idea how the criminal proceedings go against Drumpf, but maybe-hopefully one or two honest Red senators can do their job and support the Mueller case in the case of a vote going to the upper house.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#184 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:58 am

Read on Twitter

Mitch is either in the early stages of dementia, or he's trolling. I'll pick the latter. He isn't stupid. He's criminally negligent and his activity during the 2016 election where he knew full well what the Russians were doing should be called into question. There is no bi partisanship. The only thing Mitch's Senate can do is prevent an Impeachment verdict of Trump at this point. They can't stop multiple House investigations that will result in criminal referrals.

It doesn't matter. The House is going to tear so much ass starting in January that Mitch may want to opt to retire before 2020 comes along. The mandate has been set.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#185 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:01 pm

Read on Twitter

Well, that takes one person who has no business running for President as a Dem out of the way. Now if only Sanders, Biden, and Hillary will take a seat as well.

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#186 » by Roy Tarpley » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Andy Kim's win over MacArthur is official. Only 1 Republican rep from NJ.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#187 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:10 pm

Roy Tarpley wrote:Andy Kim's win over MacArthur is official. Only 1 Republican rep from NJ.

New Jersey wiped the GOP out :nod:

Time to legalize WEED I mean time to hold Trump's ass to the fire

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#188 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 am

Dear Tom MacArthur,

Sincerely,
Jersey
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#189 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:45 am

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#190 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:54 am

And the Republicans can thank Chris Christie and Trump's insane tax plan which **** ed Jersey property owners up the rear for this. Even with how bad Trump is its stunning to see some of these areas flipped blue.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#191 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:24 am

Read on Twitter

Schumer needs to be primaried and replaced. This is aiding and abetting a corporation that allowed a hostile nation to use its platform to target Americans.

If you haven't read the news today about Facebook, it's seriously bad. Zuckerberg and Sandberg are going to be hauled in front of the House come January and god help them if they lie.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#192 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter

FYI, what the administration just attempted to do is exactly what Mike Flynn got caught for. He was going to be paid millions to have this man kidnapped and extradited to Turkey.

I'm sure Robert Mueller will be very interested to hear about why this request was made.

gigantes
Starter

Post#193 » by gigantes » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:11 pm

With another Dem pulling out a late victory in Maine, I wonder...

What if, in 2020, the Dems take the White House, both congressional houses, and maybe even insurmountable majorities in both houses. Probably quite the longshot right there, but in such a case, would there be any chance of reviewing the recent and blatant hijacking of a Supreme Court seat? I mean the one which originally should have gone to Merrick Garland (or next choice), and instead wound up being fenced off to Brett Kavanaugh.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#194 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 am

gigantes wrote:With another Dem pulling out a late victory in Maine, I wonder...

What if, in 2020, the Dems take the White House, both congressional houses, and maybe even insurmountable majorities in both houses. Probably quite the longshot right there, but in such a case, would there be any chance of reviewing the recent and blatant hijacking of a Supreme Court seat? I mean the one which originally should have gone to Merrick Garland (or next choice), and instead up being fenced off to Brett Kavanaugh.

The plan would be if the Dems have a super majority and the White House is to either impeach Kavanaugh or to expand the number of seats on the court and ram through nominees to balance the SCOTUS. I don't know much about either process to know how easy it would be even with a super majority.

Mitch McConnell subverted a lot of norms over the last decade. If the Dems retake control of congress and the white house, every single thing that he did should be put into practice by the Dems. Ram through judicial nominees with sensible (key word...not nut jobs, but sane, pragmatic qualified judges) picks. Ram through sensible tax laws that do not put the burden on the middle class and the poor. Ram through medicare expansion, and relieve corporations of the burden of having to provide health insurance for employees. Also, The Dems definitely need to hammer out a way to make sure that Social Security and other social safety net programs remain solvent.

Now as far as stuff like free college and what not that some of the more progressive Dems want to do, I would need to see how they plan to pay for that (I know, I know, if we can afford bombs we can afford to do x, y, z but I do believe in sensible spending). I think a good investment would be to subsidize programs that steer kids who aren't necessarily geared towards doing stuff like STEM towards learning trades, getting them apprenticeships, and teaching them how to work for themselves. There will always be a need for trade workers in this country. Instead of letting kids fall by the wayside because they aren't good at science or math let them learn how to be electricians, plumbers, etc.

It's up to the elected Dems to clean up the GOP's mess, but it is up to the population to keep showing up to the polls like we did on election day to keep the right people in charge. And if those people in charge don't deliver, like Chuck Schumer, then they need to be sent a message during primary season.

Another side note, I currently am not in favor of Nancy Pelosi getting the boot unless her replacement is someone who knows what she or he is doing. I am still pissed at her for how she treated Bush II with kid gloves and called for bipartisan ship after she won her election, but not enough to have her removed. If she's the Speaker of the House she needs to do her duty, put a check on Trump, make sure to find a balance between the moderate and progressive wings of the party so that everyone is on the same page, and help to keep the ship steady until 2020. I think she's more than capable. Just miss me with even attempting to be bipartisan. The GOP are traitors and should be treated as such.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#195 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Read on Twitter

This isn't rocket science, it played a huge role. Orange County, CA flipped BLUE. Eliminating interest deductions and celebrating it as a way to stick it to the coastal blue states was a brilliant idea :lol:

The GOP clearly didn't think any of this through, but not surprising for a party full of old, hand me down rich corrupt white men with **** for brains.

gigantes
Starter

Post#196 » by gigantes » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:The plan would be if the Dems have a super majority and the White House is to either impeach Kavanaugh or to expand the number of seats on the court and ram through nominees to balance the SCOTUS. I don't know much about either process to know how easy it would be even with a super majority.

Interesting, thank you. I didn't know such things were even possibilities. oO

Mitch McConnell subverted a lot of norms over the last decade. If the Dems retake control of congress and the white house, every single thing that he did should be put into practice by the Dems. Ram through judicial nominees with sensible (key word...not nut jobs, but sane, pragmatic qualified judges) picks. Ram through sensible tax laws that do not put the burden on the middle class and the poor. Ram through medicare expansion, and relieve corporations of the burden of having to provide health insurance for employees. Also, The Dems definitely need to hammer out a way to make sure that Social Security and other social safety net programs remain solvent.

I'm not all that familiar with the works of that particular villain. But I'm pretty sure Mitch is the older guy who looks like he was exposed to too many G-forces or something. (that melty look)

I'm not very good on political specifics, but I guess my worry with the 'ramming' strategy is that it could too easily be used as cheap political capital by the other side. Then again, that's pretty much their whole playbook already, so maybe it doesn't matter. But ideally, I'm thinking it might be equally good to go after gerrymandering and all the cheap tricks the GOPs typically use to turn away or discourage opposition voters. I mean, since Dems are already the real majority across the country, just exercising an accurate vote should make for lots of changes right there. I don't know...

Now as far as stuff like free college and what not that some of the more progressive Dems want to do, I would need to see how they plan to pay for that (I know, I know, if we can afford bombs we can afford to do x, y, z but I do believe in sensible spending). I think a good investment would be to subsidize programs that steer kids who aren't necessarily geared towards doing stuff like STEM towards learning trades, getting them apprenticeships, and teaching them how to work for themselves. There will always be a need for trade workers in this country. Instead of letting kids fall by the wayside because they aren't good at science or math let them learn how to be electricians, plumbers, etc.

I'm not crazy about the "free college" thing, partly because Sanders caused so much damage with it this past election. Totally disingenuous on his part, similar to his last online AMA, which was apparently nothing but a book promotion. But I agree very much about your ideas about better matching kids with future professions. Personally I would have been far better off going to trade school than college. Also, finding ways to deal with all these scammy for-profit colleges would be nice. (with for-profit prisons right behind, hey?)

...The GOP are traitors and should be treated as such.

Aye. Their whole party is a huge scam at this point, and it would be nice if that was more widely known.
The Dems aren't magical / flawless or whatever, but at least they're a real political party out for the greater good of the nation and its peoples, on the whole.

Try to be fair and understanding, and compromise with that party of bigots and the shamelessly greedy, and they'll simply use it to their advantage and give nothing back. It is way past time to stop giving them automatic respect as a legit political party, IMO.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#197 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:50 am

If the Republicans are going to forgo the political norms for the last several decades and ram through federal circuit judges and SCOTUS judges, the Democrats should do it too.

Without hesitation.

The idea that the Democrats should engage in fair play while the GOP, who panders to actual Nazis and KKK Militiamen, should adhere to pre 2009 norms is foolishness. The new norms have been set by Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan. Now its time for the GOP to pay for the price for their decision making.

Ram through judges and legislation. eliminate gerrymandering. Stop playing fair. These people put children in cages FFS. This needs to be up ended right here and now.

At this point in America's history, the Democrats don't just represent the left side of the political spectrum, they represent everyone in this country who has common sense, empathy, morals and basic decency. The umbrella includes a wide range of people. People who wouldn't mind seeing the Democrats using the GOP's tactics against them as far as the legislative branch goes.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#198 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:49 am

Just upping this thread in light of today's events surrounding Michael Cohen, Donald Trump, and the rest. :lol:

Robert Mueller is a savage, and tomorrow's early AM twitter **** rage fest from Trump should be one for the ages.

I'm not gonna bother posting a bunch of links or what not, if you're not following the news from early on today, you'll learn soon enough. Robert Mueller's team gave Trump a series of questions to answer. Trump answered those questions while sharing information (read: lies to tell) with Paul Manafort (who violated a plea agreement and will now die in jail). Trump most likely put lies in writing to questions posed to him by the feds. As soon as Mueller got his hands on those answers (lies), the hammer got slammed down onto Paul Manafort, and the go ahead was given for Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen to cop a plea deal in court for lying to congress in exchange for him ratting out Trump, Trump's dealings with Russia during the 2016 campaign and The Trump Organization's legal exposure.

TD;DR: They are all going to jail, including his elder children.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mueller-eyes-ivanka-don-jr-s-work-trump-tower-moscow-003012099.html

This will be a bitterly cold Christmas for some. I'll enjoy some good craft beers and whiskey this month, and get ready for the **** show that takes places in January when the House Dems and Mueller start breaking backs and taking scalps. Mueller is a registered Republican btw.

there's a certain karma that comes with being racist, putting children in cages, tear gassing children, or being involved with the murder of a reporter whose body was taken apart by bone saws by Saudi killers.

gigantes
Starter

Post#199 » by gigantes » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:27 pm

A giant Trump baby blimp that the president says makes him 'feel unwelcome' has followed him to the G20 summit in Argentina

Bwahahaha :D

They just need to add a giant Winnie the Pooh balloon since Emperor Xi is going to be there as well. (cliff's notes-- he hates it, and has banned it all across China)
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#200 » by Prokorov » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Just upping this thread in light of today's events surrounding Michael Cohen, Donald Trump, and the rest. :lol:

Robert Mueller is a savage, and tomorrow's early AM twitter **** rage fest from Trump should be one for the ages.

I'm not gonna bother posting a bunch of links or what not, if you're not following the news from early on today, you'll learn soon enough. Robert Mueller's team gave Trump a series of questions to answer. Trump answered those questions while sharing information (read: lies to tell) with Paul Manafort (who violated a plea agreement and will now die in jail). Trump most likely put lies in writing to questions posed to him by the feds. As soon as Mueller got his hands on those answers (lies), the hammer got slammed down onto Paul Manafort, and the go ahead was given for Trump's lawyer Michael Cohen to cop a plea deal in court for lying to congress in exchange for him ratting out Trump, Trump's dealings with Russia during the 2016 campaign and The Trump Organization's legal exposure.

TD;DR: They are all going to jail, including his elder children.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mueller-eyes-ivanka-don-jr-s-work-trump-tower-moscow-003012099.html

This will be a bitterly cold Christmas for some. I'll enjoy some good craft beers and whiskey this month, and get ready for the **** show that takes places in January when the House Dems and Mueller start breaking backs and taking scalps. Mueller is a registered Republican btw.

there's a certain karma that comes with being racist, putting children in cages, tear gassing children, or being involved with the murder of a reporter whose body was taken apart by bone saws by Saudi killers.

MDB youre a whiskey guy? i knew i liked you...

whats your poison?

Return to Brooklyn Nets