Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#21 » by Rich Rane » Wed Sep 5, 2018 4:26 am

Trump was sharply criticized for initially saying that “both sides” were to blame. At the urging of advisers, he then condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis but almost immediately told aides, “That was the biggest **** mistake I’ve made” and the “worst speech I’ve ever given,” according to Woodward’s account.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6a037cc8bbb
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,887

Post#22 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 5, 2018 11:12 am

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Let me say this, all of the polls are indicating that the GOP is going to get destroyed in November. If the Democrats clean up in November and do not seize upon this moment from 2019 til January 2021 to use the precedents set by Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan to fix this mess, this country is screwed. Today, I thought they showed guts.

I believe polls say the Democrats will take the House, not the Senate as Republicans have a lot less up for grabs in the upcoming midterms.

That's true regarding Senate seats, i think the GOP only has 7 senate seats at stake.

Still, one can hope that the incumbent Dems can hold on while the Dems pick up two more seats to get the majority (if my math is correct) :-?

People need to get off of their asses and vote.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#23 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 5, 2018 11:21 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Trump was sharply criticized for initially saying that “both sides” were to blame. At the urging of advisers, he then condemned white supremacists and neo-Nazis but almost immediately told aides, “That was the biggest **** mistake I’ve made” and the “worst speech I’ve ever given,” according to Woodward’s account.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/bob-woodwards-new-book-reveals-a-nervous-breakdown-of-trumps-presidency/2018/09/04/b27a389e-ac60-11e8-a8d7-0f63ab8b1370_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f6a037cc8bbb

The excerpts from the Woodward book are wild. This isn't even the worst thing out of it. There are two instances where you literally can take away the fact that

a) the dude is bat **** crazy. like literally start WW3 crazy

b) certain members of his cabinet are actually doing the best that they can to keep him from driving this country off of a cliff all at once.

It's actually pretty frightening to know that the dude ordered the military to kill the entire Syrian government (not that I am a fan of Assad, but thats not how this works) or preemptively attack North Korea (which would have guaranteed the deaths of millions of people in the Korean peninsula) and Defense Sec. Mattis ignored him, thank god. This is crazy. Read the stuff about what Gary Cohn was doing to keep Trump from pulling out of long negotiated trade deals on a whim. :crazy:

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#24 » by Rich Rane » Wed Sep 5, 2018 1:42 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Let me say this, all of the polls are indicating that the GOP is going to get destroyed in November. If the Democrats clean up in November and do not seize upon this moment from 2019 til January 2021 to use the precedents set by Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan to fix this mess, this country is screwed. Today, I thought they showed guts.

I believe polls say the Democrats will take the House, not the Senate as Republicans have a lot less up for grabs in the upcoming midterms.

That's true regarding Senate seats, i think the GOP only has 7 senate seats at stake.

Still, one can hope that the incumbent Dems can hold on while the Dems pick up two more seats to get the majority (if my math is correct) :-?

People need to get off of their asses and vote.

Democrat incumbents have some seats in some solid red states. As you know, this administration hasn't exactly brought bipartisan politics to the forefront.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#25 » by Rich Rane » Wed Sep 5, 2018 1:53 pm

Prokorov wrote:It is such a tragedy. And literally nothing has been done since the parkland shooting. This is unfathomable to me. not just that our politicians/government has failed us, but that most people dont care and just want to go back to living in their bubble where there is no violence/racism/homelesness/etc. How can we continue to have 2x/5x/ten times the guns and gun deaths then any other country and have nothing done about it?

Put aside what solutions you would be behind, regardless of that, no solutions have been put in place. if you think its a gun control/gun issue... nothing has been done with guns. if you think its a mental health issue, nothing has been done with mental health or social services which are extremely under funded. no one wants to talk about it, no one is pushing legislation. and these kids who are effected, seeing their friends die, who are trying to fight for their safety are being supressed and/or their news cycle is up so we dont hear from them anymore.

GRADE SCHOOL KIDS ARE BEING SHOT AND KILLED!

how is this not, constantly, the #1 issue until SEVERAL solutions/changes are made? I dont have kids yet, but i cant imagine being a parent and dropping my kids off at school. My wife works in education creating curriculum and often visits schools. ive had her text me saying "im ok, school in lockdown, going into the closet with the kids." everything was fine, it was some mixup and they were being overly cautious... but your heart stops.

It gets me so frustrated:

-We cant have gun control because its "our constitutional right" even though that wasnt even in the original constituion, it was ammended in and can be ammended out (just like prohibition).

-We cant have gun control because "we need to protect ourselves against the government"... which may have made sence back in the 1800s, when were fresh off splitting off from England and were in world were the government had a tyrannical reign, or the threat of such on its citizens. Somehow, owning an AR-15 is going to stop the government from taking your land/killing you with their arsenal of drone manned missle strikes, fighter planes, tanks, ballistic and nuclear weapons.

-It isnt guns, its people. sick people. we need to beef up mental health and healthcare. Yet the majority of people with this stance, identify with republicans, who have consistently proposed or voted to cut funding to healthcare, mental heath services, and social services. And while i can kill someone with a car, we arent by far #1 in the world in vehicular homicide. while i can kill someone with a steak knife, we dont have kids going into schools and killed 30 people with steak knives. NO ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD HAS THIS GUN PROBLEM. before we say "getting rid of guns won change anything" maybe we can just try it and see if we end up like other countries that dont have all these school shootings and gun deaths.

-Its bullying. we need kids to be nicer. only bullying happens everywhere in the world. if bullying is the problem why dont other countries have this problem?

-We need to arm teachers! no one will shoot up a school if they know teachers are armed!... seems crazy that we cant find the money for paper, pencils, and books for school kids, but we can find the money to arm every teacher in america. My wifes family is full of teachers, they literally have to go out and buy notebooks and pencils for their class because the school cant afford it. but we have money to arm and train every teacher? and we are going to ask people making 35-45K a year to now be some kind of security militia? we want all of our kindegarden and 1st grade kids to be within arms reach of a gun every day?

I honestly dont get the problem. KIDS ARE BEING SHOT UP! 5 YEAR OLDS! 10 YEAR OLDS! and it is happening not just in poor neighborhoods. how do parents send their kids to school these days?

Read on Twitter

Gun control (and most likely any proposals on mental health) in a nutshell.

By the way, a lot of students go back to school this week. I encourage anyone with young relatives in schools to have a talk with them to always remain alert and to establish some plan of avoiding a shooter and having multiple escape plans.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Sep 5, 2018 8:40 pm

jesus christ....

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I have been alive since Reagan and I have never seen anything like this **** show thats going on.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#27 » by Prokorov » Thu Sep 6, 2018 1:47 am

Rich Rane wrote:
By the way, a lot of students go back to school this week. I encourage anyone with young relatives in schools to have a talk with them to always remain alert and to establish some plan of avoiding a shooter and having multiple escape plans.

Already a school shooting in Rhode Island. Day 1. didnt take log. simply heartbreak and frustrating. This is no longer news. this was buried on the headlines because only a couple kids got shot/killed. we've gotten to the point where school shootings are no longer front page news :oops:

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/providence/teen-dies-after-being-shot-outside-providence-school/1420328145
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#28 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:57 am

Prokorov wrote:
Already a school shooting in Rhode Island. Day 1. didnt take log. simply heartbreak and frustrating. This is no longer news. this was buried on the headlines because only a couple kids got shot/killed. we've gotten to the point where school shootings are no longer front page news :oops:

https://www.wpri.com/news/local-news/providence/teen-dies-after-being-shot-outside-providence-school/1420328145

This sounds gang related to me. a fight breaks out, a kid gets shot dead. the shooters flee, and then later on one of the persons of interest in the first shooting ends up getting shot? yeah.

All of this needs to be addressed. I don't care if its some white dude mass shooting people, or some gang related coward pulling out a gun during a fist fight and shooting someone, all of it needs to be addressed. This is all entirely mental health issues mixing with easy access to guns. Period. The gun violence in America transcends race/ethnicity. And it needs to change. Why are men, especially white, black, and latino, doing this **** in America?

This is not normal. This doesn't happen in any other 1st world country besides the United States.

I'm sorry, but this country's collective view of itself is out of wack. America is **** ed up. What's the difference between drive bys in the hood urban areas of the US and some dude rolling up on a dirtbike in the favelas in Brazil blowing someone's head off over beef or drug money?

Not much when you look at the poverty driven lives that lead people towards really bad decisions (MENTAL HEALTH) and an easy access to firearms. and this doesn't cover the people who aren't in poverty who choose to commit mass murder.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#29 » by shakendfries » Thu Sep 6, 2018 5:40 am

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Here come the excuses

New bet: are we getting the resignation before opening night?
Is Donald Jr going to get an executive pardon from the Muller investigation in exchange for the resignation?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#30 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:25 pm

I believe that the reports of cognitive decline in Trump are true. Watch videos of him (if you can stand to, I hate this **** er so much that seeing him talk makes me sick) back in the 80s/90s and compare it to him now. He sounds totally different and nowhere near as unhinged. But cognitive decline isn't an excuse for his behavior. Its just quickly peeling back the layers to reveal that he has always been an immoral, racist lunatic his entire life.

Whoever wrote that Op Ed came off as a real ass hole regardless of the intent. I would not doubt it was Pence.

But if Pence is doing this to set himself up to become POTUS, he may want to pump his brakes. If he think he's getting away unscathed he'd better hope that Paul Manafort doesn't cave in after his trial in DC sends him to prison for life.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#31 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:28 pm

Donald Trump Jr. is going to prison unless he offers to tell the truth about that Trump Tower meeting and the obstruction of justice that his father and Hope Hicks engaged in last year after the news broke out about it.

This doesn't even cover the fact that he lied to congress and can be charged for it. I would have fled the country by now if i were him.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:39 pm

Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) threatened Thursday to release a confidential email from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh “about racial profiling” at the start of the third day of confirmation hearings.

The senator said he would “knowingly violate” the rules and accept any punishment for his action, which he would consider to be civil disobedience. Booker said the email, taken from Kavanaugh’s time in the Bush White House, does not pose a threat to national security.

Booker could be expelled for violating Senate rules, although it is unlikely.

His colleagues Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) rallied around him, pledging their support in the event Booker faced “retribution,” as Durbin put it.

Hirono also offered to release the committee confidential documents to the press, saying she would “defy anyone.”

“You want everything to be made public? All your emails? I don’t think you do,” Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) responded.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cory-booker-kavanaugh-documents-confidential_us_5b91326ee4b0cf7b003d4cbe

Holy **** the Dems are really fighting back. :o The GOP has zero respect for the rule of law and have broken norms left and right. Booker is doing the right thing here, **** the rules.

Senator Hirono just said she's going to release emails too.

and while I won't post it here the NY Times is now leaking documents left and right, holy crap this is nuts. This is push back in real time

Roy Tarpley
Veteran
And1: 987

Post#33 » by Roy Tarpley » Thu Sep 6, 2018 2:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I believe that the reports of cognitive decline in Trump are true. Watch videos of him (if you can stand to, I hate this **** er so much that seeing him talk makes me sick) back in the 80s/90s and compare it to him now. He sounds totally different and nowhere near as unhinged. But cognitive decline isn't an excuse for his behavior. Its just quickly peeling back the layers to reveal that he has always been an immoral, racist lunatic his entire life.

Whoever wrote that Op Ed came off as a real ass hole regardless of the intent. I would not doubt it was Pence.

But if Pence is doing this to set himself up to become POTUS, he may want to pump his brakes. If he think he's getting away unscathed he'd better hope that Paul Manafort doesn't cave in after his trial in DC sends him to prison for life.

I can't believe the NYT published this op-ed. The author is basically telling the Republican base before the elections, "If you like tax cuts and deregulation and other Republican policies, don't worry about Trump, we'll keep em coming."
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#34 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 6, 2018 3:01 pm

^^I rolled my eyes while reading that. It definitely sounded like something Pence would say.

sorry to spam but this is great

Read on Twitter

^^This exchange in itself is even more evidence that this man is unfit to serve on the Supreme Court. Senator Harris already knew the answer to this question and was baiting him into committing perjury. She is so bad ass.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

If either Harris or Booker run for the nomination in the near future, i will be hard pressed not to support either one of them after today. this is the stuff that makes me want to vote for a Democrat.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#35 » by Prokorov » Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

This sounds gang related to me. a fight breaks out, a kid gets shot dead. the shooters flee, and then later on one of the persons of interest in the first shooting ends up getting shot? yeah.

All of this needs to be addressed. I don't care if its some white dude mass shooting people, or some gang related coward pulling out a gun during a fist fight and shooting someone, all of it needs to be addressed. This is all entirely mental health issues mixing with easy access to guns. Period. The gun violence in America transcends race/ethnicity. And it needs to change. Why are men, especially white, black, and latino, doing this **** in America?

This is not normal. This doesn't happen in any other 1st world country besides the United States.

I'm sorry, but this country's collective view of itself is out of wack. America is **** ed up. What's the difference between drive bys in the hood urban areas of the US and some dude rolling up on a dirtbike in the favelas in Brazil blowing someone's head off over beef or drug money?

Not much when you look at the poverty driven lives that lead people towards really bad decisions (MENTAL HEALTH) and an easy access to firearms. and this doesn't cover the people who aren't in poverty who choose to commit mass murder.

When I was growing up you just had to stay out of the bad areas of town, and the dark alleys

now grammar schools and high schools are danger zones

what a country
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#36 » by Prokorov » Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:19 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.) threatened Thursday to release a confidential email from Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh “about racial profiling” at the start of the third day of confirmation hearings.

The senator said he would “knowingly violate” the rules and accept any punishment for his action, which he would consider to be civil disobedience. Booker said the email, taken from Kavanaugh’s time in the Bush White House, does not pose a threat to national security.

Booker could be expelled for violating Senate rules, although it is unlikely.

His colleagues Sens. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) and Mazie Hirono (D-Hawaii) rallied around him, pledging their support in the event Booker faced “retribution,” as Durbin put it.

Hirono also offered to release the committee confidential documents to the press, saying she would “defy anyone.”

“You want everything to be made public? All your emails? I don’t think you do,” Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa) responded.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cory-booker-kavanaugh-documents-confidential_us_5b91326ee4b0cf7b003d4cbe

Holy **** the Dems are really fighting back. :o The GOP has zero respect for the rule of law and have broken norms left and right. Booker is doing the right thing here, **** the rules.

Senator Hirono just said she's going to release emails too.

and while I won't post it here the NY Times is now leaking documents left and right, holy crap this is nuts. This is push back in real time

Glad to see Corey Booker showing some of the fight and morality that got him where he is... as an early supporter of his, he kind of let me down. this is a step back in the right direction
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#37 » by Prokorov » Thu Sep 6, 2018 10:29 pm

Booker true to his word releases the documents:

Read on Twitter
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by shakendfries » Fri Sep 7, 2018 12:54 am

Prokorov wrote:Booker true to his word releases the documents:

Read on Twitter

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
shakendfries
Assistant Coach

Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#39 » by shakendfries » Fri Sep 7, 2018 12:57 am

It’s 1000% Pence who wrote the OpEd -trying to ‘save face’ for the impending resignation/impeachment of 45. He’s the only one with the true incentive to do preemptive damage control and start the narrative of himself as the savior of the office

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#40 » by gigantes » Fri Sep 7, 2018 3:00 am

Looks like this thread isn't being trolled at the moment, so I think I might try to drop in again, plus read more of the updates here. It can get a little overwhelming at times, particular since my tank is full with various issues already, like China and even Western Civ as a whole. But I'll try. I mean the midterm elections in particular seem pretty //fluffing// important, for one.

Anyway, here's a little rant du jour...

So, one thing I often muse on in a head-shaking kind of way is the common idea of being a "proud conservatism" that many Americans seem to Trumpet and/or lovingly embrace.

So then-- fine. You're proudly proclaiming yourself a "conservative?" Okay then, but here's a question-- what is it you're "conserving," exactly? What does your identity word of CONSERVATIVE actually mean? ((Perfectly fair question, amirite...?))

For example, are you concerned about SUSTAINABILITY? Because, yeah... that seems like a pretty dang important thing to be concerned about in the age of GCC, ocean acidification, shrinking fresh water sources, microplastics contamination of the air, sea and land (a recent issue in the news), overuse of antibiotics, fracking and related activities causing both groundwater contamination and increased seismic activity, etc, etc, etc. I.e., stuff that we kinda need to take care of in order to have a future.

Oh yeah, I know-- "don't worry, we'll figure it out in the future!" (funny how that's been the working response since the start of the industrial age, with the stakes ever higher and the problems ever worse)

But again, setting that little bit of 'extremist liberal overreaction' aside, what DOES a "conservative" think they're actually conserving, anyway? Because it obviously wasn't the bulk of the natural, stupendously-beautiful American environment, nor the original peoples here who could have gone on living with said environment for an almost endless amount of time... nor was it historically equal rights (or even human decency) for women, African slaves, various minorities, and a range of outsiders across the greater portion of American history. (The list goes on, but I guess the point is made)

So anyway yeah, it just seems weird to me sometimes-- the way I've normally just nodded my head on the usage of the word so utterly automatically. "Ah, so you're a Conservative. That means a certain rough set of beliefs and opinions about what's best for America, and that sort of thing. No problem. We'll just proceed from there and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and you can go ahead and own the word. Cool, cool..."

But then for some reason I stop and think about it one day. And then it seems more like a proud, self-proclaimed "conservative" is basically just saying stuff like... I dunno... "all I really care about is money, covering my rump, and my own uncompromisingly narrow vision of right-and-wrong." So for me it's like...wow. Where the hell were my real listening skill this whole time?

Rant du jour be done! Peace.

Return to Brooklyn Nets