ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,827

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#261 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:50 pm

shakendfries wrote:The recent criminal justice reform is just further proof that this country is racist and doesn't give a single :censored: about the black and brown people who dominate the grossly inflated prison population. It only affects federal prisons, and is essentially only going to benfit the Michael Cohens, and all of the other bastards getting caught up in this scandal.

Its essentially the government making a bed for Donald to lay in :nonono:

What a crock of :censored:

It was a Republican backed bill. Of course it was going to benefit white collar criminals (who usually end up in federal prison). That's why I paid it no mind because I knew if it was something McConnell allowed to the floor for a vote its probably something that benefits wealthy people who get caught committing fed crimes.

Donald Trump, his adult children minus Tiffany, his charity organization, his campaign, and his corporation are going to be facing both federal and state prosecution for multiple crimes when the **** hits the fan.

There is no escape.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#262 » by gigantes » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am

(Re-posting and linking this here. I thought the reply was pretty fascinating.)

"Meh. All Republican congressmen are idiots."

This is a dangerous attitude. They may do idiotic things, and certainly some of them are absolutely anti-science loons, but every single thing the GOP does is in service of the overriding goal of regulatory capture. And there is a lot of brainpower behind all of this.

They don't -want- to fix anything. They want to break our government so that the GOP can point to the shambles and yell "See? It needs to be drowned in the bathtub, like St. Grover Norquist says!" and then attempt to hand the whole shebang over to their billionaire master/donors as private enterprise.

Regulatory capture is the goal. That's the true endgame. But they need to break democracy to do that.

They do that in a million little ways, by a thousand cuts, and it's a plan that's not only backed by billions of dollars from American oligarchs, but is orchestrated and anchored by hundreds of think tanks. It's an ideology of pure greed that is propped up by shady organizations like the Federalist Society (to train up hyperconservative/extreme libertarian justices), REDMAP (to gerrymander everything), and ALEC (to allow corporations and lobbyists to directly write bills that benefit the wealthiest members of the corporate world).

What's going on with Walker and in several state legislatures is about breaking democracy. The GOP-manufactured deadlock over a ridiculous wall we don't need and subsequent shutdown are more ways to pretend that democracy doesn't work while in actuality it is simply being subverted by the bad actors in the GOP.

https://np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/aadcmn/scott_walkers_parting_gift_a_corporate_welfare/ecrit77/
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#263 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:14 pm

gigantes wrote:(Re-posting and linking this here. I thought the reply was pretty fascinating.)

This is a dangerous attitude. They may do idiotic things, and certainly some of them are absolutely anti-science loons, but every single thing the GOP does is in service of the overriding goal of regulatory capture. And there is a lot of brainpower behind all of this.

They don't -want- to fix anything. They want to break our government so that the GOP can point to the shambles and yell "See? It needs to be drowned in the bathtub, like St. Grover Norquist says!" and then attempt to hand the whole shebang over to their billionaire master/donors as private enterprise.

Regulatory capture is the goal. That's the true endgame. But they need to break democracy to do that.

They do that in a million little ways, by a thousand cuts, and it's a plan that's not only backed by billions of dollars from American oligarchs, but is orchestrated and anchored by hundreds of think tanks. It's an ideology of pure greed that is propped up by shady organizations like the Federalist Society (to train up hyperconservative/extreme libertarian justices), REDMAP (to gerrymander everything), and ALEC (to allow corporations and lobbyists to directly write bills that benefit the wealthiest members of the corporate world).

What's going on with Walker and in several state legislatures is about breaking democracy. The GOP-manufactured deadlock over a ridiculous wall we don't need and subsequent shutdown are more ways to pretend that democracy doesn't work while in actuality it is simply being subverted by the bad actors in the GOP.

https://np.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/aadcmn/scott_walkers_parting_gift_a_corporate_welfare/ecrit77/

Bingo. A lot of them are far from stupid. They're also traitors who have no problem violating their oaths of office.

Only a fool would think that for a second that Mitch McConnell is even remotely stupid. He's calculating, manipulative, and shrewd. He knows exactly what he's doing by ramming through unqualified circuit court judges and trash like Brett Kavanaugh to the SCOTUS. The GOP and their benefactors want judges who will make judgments in a partisan manner instead of upholding the rule of law.

For the last 38 years, there have been 4 Republican presidents and all four of them presided over GOP efforts to destroy the economy. GOP leadership always leaves the country in bad shape. Clinton left office with a surplus, Bush II nearly drove us into The Great Depression Part 2. Obama fixed Bush's mess and Trump is hell bent on actually destroying the economy (and he has admitted as much in the past because he knows if he drives the economy into the tank, wealthy investors can swoop in and buy up everything for cheap while everyone else suffers).

Why do you think GOP leadership is perfectly content with Trump driving this country off of a cliff economically? it suits their purposes. They know that tax cuts for the wealthy will drive up the deficit. They know that tariffs harm the economy. They don't care. They'll burn the house to the ground and then when they lose power they'll blame the Democrats for everything and the rednecks and idiot baby boomers will fall for the bait and vote them back in again. And this is the problem in itself, the behavior of the voting public that enables all of this crap.

If their voter base woke up and stopped propping them up they wouldn't have any power to do what they are doing. Look at the poorest states in the union. They're all perpetual red states who keep voting in Republicans into state, local and federal positions. That is not a coincidence, that is by design. But the rubes keep voting them in because the GOP panders to their base level instincts of racism, fear, and ignorance while robbing them all blind in the process. In turn they'll continue to disrupt, obstruct, and destroy democratic institutions.

Just wait until they attempt to start to disrupt the peaceful transition of power at the federal level. They're doing it piecemeal at the state level right now. What happens if Trump is shielded from impeachment up until 2020, he loses, claims the election was rigged, and refuses to leave office?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#264 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Dec 29, 2018 2:20 pm

oh

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-fbi-ag-evidence-crimes-trump-golf-20181228-story.html

New Jersey prosecutors have collected evidence that supervisors at President Trump’s Garden State golf club may have committed federal immigration crimes — and the FBI as well as special counsel Robert Mueller have played part in the inquiry, the Daily News has learned.

Anibal Romero, a Newark attorney who represents several undocumented immigrants who used to work at the Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, said Friday he recently met with investigators from the state attorney general’s office and handed over fraudulent green cards and Social Security numbers that management at the club allegedly procured and gave his clients, Victorina Morales and Sandra Diaz.

Before he met with the state prosecutors, Romero said he reached out to Mueller’s office because, while he wanted to contact federal authorities, he was concerned about looping in the Justice Department, which was headed by Jeff Sessions at the time.

“I wasn’t sure, one, if they’d take me seriously and, two, if this could backfire on my clients,” Romero told The News, referencing the Trump administration’s aggressive immigration agenda.

Mueller’s office, which is separately investigating Trump’s campaign for possible collusion with Russians during the 2016 election, made contact and informed Romero the matter was not within their jurisdiction.

A few weeks later, an FBI agent in New Jersey called Romero.

“He said to me that he had received a referral from Robert Mueller’s office and that he already knew the specifics and that he wanted to meet with me in person,” Romero said.

It's so odd that Mueller's office has to keep referring crimes uncovered by Trump's businesses and associates over to NY/NJ feds...it's almost as if the president of the united states is running a criminal enterprise while in office.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,572

Post#265 » by Rich Rane » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:41 pm

But her emails...
Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#266 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:16 am

^^millions in taxpayer dollars wasted.

The House GOP members aren't going to like what's coming on January 3rd. They spent the last few years making sure that the minority party was completely neutered in the House. They might as well not even show up for work, because they're done.

And I hope Devin Nunes' behavior over the last two years including his role in Trump's transition team is fully investigated.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#267 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:57 pm

Read on Twitter

That business is not coming back, even after Trump leaves office. That's 12 billion dollars gone within a year's time.

As much as I want to laugh at the racist redneck soybean farmers who voted for this man who are feeling the pain right now, it's not really funny at all.

gigantes
Starter

Post#268 » by gigantes » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:(Re-posting and linking this here. I thought the reply was pretty fascinating.)

This is a dangerous attitude. They may do idiotic things, and certainly some of them are absolutely anti-science loons, but every single thing the GOP does is in service of the overriding goal of regulatory capture. And there is a lot of brainpower behind all of this...

Bingo. A lot of them are far from stupid. They're also traitors who have no problem violating their oaths of office.

Only a fool would think that for a second that Mitch McConnell is even remotely stupid. He's calculating, manipulative, and shrewd. He knows exactly what he's doing by ramming through unqualified circuit court judges and trash like Brett Kavanaugh to the SCOTUS. The GOP and their benefactors want judges who will make judgments in a partisan manner instead of upholding the rule of law....

There's so much to think about in these posts, yours and the reddit guy's above. So much stuff hiding in plain site, or thinly veiled, or necessitating a bit of a ponder.

It's disappointing that more figures of influence aren't breaking down the situation thusly instead of sticking to the sniping stuff, clever or ham-handed as it may be. Maybe that's an acknowledgement that there's too many ignoramuses, money and power on the side of darkness to risk confronting it head-on. So we have public figures like, I don't know... John Oliver, Bill Maher, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert and the like pointing out aspects of this madness, perhaps leaving the audience to put it all together. And they can take refuge in beings humorists / wags, sort of like telling those on the right (sotto voce) "hehe, don't mind me too much, I'm just being an assh-le here."

I would think various academics have tackled this treasonous "conservative" activity as well, but who exactly? I try to keep up with various news and chains of scuttlebutt, and I don't really see any particular author / public figure tying this stuff together for more people to read and absorb.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#269 » by Prokorov » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:35 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

This is a dangerous attitude. They may do idiotic things, and certainly some of them are absolutely anti-science loons, but every single thing the GOP does is in service of the overriding goal of regulatory capture. And there is a lot of brainpower behind all of this...

Only a fool would think that for a second that Mitch McConnell is even remotely stupid. He's calculating, manipulative, and shrewd. He knows exactly what he's doing by ramming through unqualified circuit court judges and trash like Brett Kavanaugh to the SCOTUS. The GOP and their benefactors want judges who will make judgments in a partisan manner instead of upholding the rule of law....

There's so much to think about in these posts, yours and the reddit guy's above. So much stuff hiding in plain site, or thinly veiled, or necessitating a bit of a ponder.

It's disappointing that more figures of influence aren't breaking down the situation thusly instead of sticking to the sniping stuff, clever or ham-handed as it may be. Maybe that's an acknowledgement that there's too many ignoramuses, money and power on the side of darkness to risk confronting it head-on. So we have public figures like, I don't know... John Oliver, Bill Maher, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert and the like pointing out aspects of this madness, perhaps leaving the audience to put it all together. And they can take refuge in beings humorists / wags, sort of like telling those on the right (sotto voce) "hehe, don't mind me too much, I'm just being an assh-le here."

I would think various academics have tackled this treasonous "conservative" activity as well, but who exactly? I try to keep up with various news and chains of scuttlebutt, and I don't really see any particular author / public figure tying this stuff together for more people to read and absorb.

This doesnt even scratch the surface... all this border wall stuff... it goes even beyond lining pockets, its also about taking peoples land. its always under publicized but you are probably looking at a couple hundred square miles where eminent domain is going to rob people of their land... just like with the oil pipelines.

there is so much corruption and crime and shady stuff going on that it will not ever be improved let alone fixed without a catastrophic event.
gigantes
Starter

Post#270 » by gigantes » Tue Jan 1, 2019 7:46 pm

Prokorov wrote:This doesnt even scratch the surface... all this border wall stuff... it goes even beyond lining pockets, its also about taking peoples land. its always under publicized but you are probably looking at a couple hundred square miles where eminent domain is going to rob people of their land... just like with the oil pipelines.

there is so much corruption and crime and shady stuff going on that it will not ever be improved let alone fixed without a catastrophic event.

Meh. Somehow I doubt the expected catastrophic events looming on the horizon will be particularly helpful in these areas. But I do think building awareness of what the American Right is really up to could exert a lot of positive influence. Greater knowledge and awareness will naturally set some energy in motion...

Meanwhile, I find myself not having much patience with centrist's / leftists fatigue over Trump-bashing. Just now on FB, a friend from back in HS was annoyed about 'too many political floats going by' during the Annual New Year's Mummers Day in Philly (it's similar to Festivál / Mardi Gras). One of them depicted Trump on a leash, for example.

These people seem to think that Trump-bashing is just something relatively juvenile & faddish, without much real point behind it. I mean, I get that a lot of people don't like to analyse politics too much, but IMO this is one of the clearest / easiest set of issues to analyse, ever. Well, at least in the US, anyway. It's not quite like places such as Russia, China, the Philippines, Turkey & N. Korea yet... but of course that's only because there's a certain amount of constitutional balance left at this point.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#271 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 1, 2019 8:37 pm

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:This doesnt even scratch the surface... all this border wall stuff... it goes even beyond lining pockets, its also about taking peoples land. its always under publicized but you are probably looking at a couple hundred square miles where eminent domain is going to rob people of their land... just like with the oil pipelines.

Meh. Somehow I doubt the expected catastrophic events looming on the horizon will be particularly helpful in these areas. But I do think building awareness of what the American Right is really up to could exert a lot of positive influence. Greater knowledge and awareness will naturally set some energy in motion...

Meanwhile, I find myself not having much patience with centrist's / leftists fatigue over Trump-bashing. Just now on FB, a friend from back in HS was annoyed about 'too many political floats going by' during the Annual New Year's Mummers Day in Philly (it's similar to Festivál / Mardi Gras). One of them depicted Trump on a leash, for example.

These people seem to think that Trump-bashing is just something relatively juvenile & faddish, without much real point behind it. I mean, I get that a lot of people don't like to analyse politics too much, but IMO this is one of the clearest / easiest set of issues to analyse, ever. Well, at least in the US, anyway. It's not quite like places such as Russia, China, the Philippines, Turkey & N. Korea yet... but of course that's only because there's a certain amount of constitutional balance left at this point.

Anyone who says they are tired of "politics" or the Trump bashing are saying that from a position of privilege.

Trump's racist rhetoric endangers people's lives. His policies have killed children. He is single handedly driving the country's economy into the tank. Federal workers are now in a precarious position due to him behaving like a child and shutting down the government. Anyone who is "tired" of the Trump bashing are either apart of his delusional base or most likely, somehow insulated from what he is doing to a degree.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#272 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jan 3, 2019 7:26 pm

Read on Twitter

Pelosi has officially been elected House Speaker. I know a lot of liberals might hate that she quoted Reagan to support immigration, I thought that was perfect political trolling to show how far some Republicans have gone when they don't applaud their former great leader. She even called some of them out when she saw that they weren't applauding "No applause for Ronald Reagan?"
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#273 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 4, 2019 12:31 am

^the fact that the number of women representatives in the GOP hasn't grown an inch since the mid 80s should frighten any GOP political strategist with a shred of common sense. That party is dying. Big time.

I'm pleased to see her become Speaker again, but Pelosi absolutely cannot repeat what she did when the Dems won the house under George W. Bush. Bipartisanship is dead. The GOP is not operating in good faith, I think she's well aware that the days of common sense compromise are long gone. These people are beyond corrupt. Stick to your guns. Feed Trump his balls on a plate.

Also, I saw that one Dem House member wants to introduce the articles of impeachment already. I say they should wait until Mueller makes his report along with seeing the findings from the multiple house investigations that are about to be underway. Put all of the evidence out there in public of his crimes and then impeach his ass and then dare McConnell, Graham, and the of the traitors lay on their swords for Trump in the Senate.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#274 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 4, 2019 1:05 am

Read on Twitter

GOPers and right wing lunatics are losing their minds over her. They are scared to death of her and I love every minute of it :lol:

case in point:

Read on Twitter

:lol: @ this ratio. These loons are appalled at this but think that Brett Kavanaugh getting black out drunk and raping women is perfectly acceptable. The amount of losing and despair that these far right nutjobs are in for will make their heads explode.

shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

Post#275 » by shakendfries » Fri Jan 4, 2019 1:57 pm

Actual news

Read on Twitter

This man is a bum

Read on Twitter
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#276 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 4, 2019 1:58 pm

Got to love the hand wringing from the so called liberal media over decency after running cover for Trump for three years:

Read on Twitter

Now you're concerned about profanity and decency? Miss me with this "liberals should always act decent" while Republicans/right wingers behave like animals, condone rape, pedophilia, racism etc. **** off. The media is complicit as hell in all of this crap, this is why when Trump attacks them they have frankly brought it upon themselves.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#277 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 4, 2019 2:03 pm

shakendfries wrote:Actual news

Read on Twitter

This is why voting matters. You want true criminal justice reform? Get off your asses and vote in EVERY election local, state and federal. Get people inside of the system that can start deconstructing systemic garbage that is consistently held up by white men. This is true change in progress

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#278 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 4, 2019 5:55 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

GOPers and right wing lunatics are losing their minds over her. They are scared to death of her and I love every minute of it :lol:

case in point:

Read on Twitter

:lol: @ this ratio. These loons are appalled at this but think that Brett Kavanaugh getting black out drunk and raping women is perfectly acceptable. The amount of losing and despair that these far right nutjobs are in for will make their heads explode.

They deactivated and then reposted with a new account because it was such a backfire. Someone should respond with Melania's pictures.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#279 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:06 pm

^^and I'm not even going to shame Melania for that. I think her birtherism is what she should be shamed about, i could care less if she took nudies (even though I'm with you on the Republican hypocrisy, had a Democrat/Liberal taken nude photos in their past they'd be slut shaming her to hell and back).

Read on Twitter

whoopsie.

Donald Trump Jr., the clock is now ticking.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#280 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 4, 2019 6:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:^^and I'm not even going to shame Melania for that. I think her birtherism is what she should be shamed about, i could care less if she took nudies (even though I'm with you on the Republican hypocrisy, had a Democrat/Liberal taken nude photos in their past they'd be slut shaming her to hell and back).

I don't really care about Melania's nude photos either, but yeah again the Republican hypocrisy is on full display though. I don't even care about Trump motorboating Giuliani in drag in the grand scheme of things.

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter

Oh I'm sure his predecessor, Devin Nunes, already did that.

On a serious note, they need a separate investigation into just Nunes as well.

Return to Brooklyn Nets