Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Re: Official Current Affairs & Politics Thread II 

Post#621 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:NATO getting involved directly is part of what this is all about I think, as The Ukraine had been inching towards becoming a member, and Putin seems to feel that's disastrous for him. So this gradual move to annex Eastern Ukraine is not just about that vital port he wants, but also to push back on NATO before they have a more legitimate presence. Before NATO can say "Oi, you're messing with one of ours now! Here come reinforcements!" That's why all the pre-invasion reinforcements to Ukraine were so piecemeal, scattered, and completely voluntary coming from other nations around the world.

I think I have all that more or less right, anyway.

Also, in terms of ruining the Russian economy, most of that damage has perhaps already been done. It's a similar playbook to the GOP systematically destroying the American middle class and lower classes IMO. I.e., as long as the oligarchs and rich corporations have freedom to operate with impunity, and to keep their knees on the peoples' necks, then they're perfectly happy to slowly tank the whole situation as long as they can ride it out on top.

It's absolutely bone-chilling to me how the world is shifting in such authoritarian, right-wing directions so quickly. In places like Russia, the USA and other nations, they've monkeyed the situation in enough ways such that even a majority of citizens pushing back for first-world centrist policies is not necessarily enough to restabilise things.

Don't discount either how Putin has had a clear hand in elevating far right wing movements in Europe/UK/USA. Brexit/Trumpism had the GRU's fingerprints all over them. Even the antivax furor in the USA can directly be linked to Russian intelligence ops. Putin has played a long and dirty game to enrich himself and destabilize western nations.

Yup. I read an industry insider article (I work as a CIO for a large MSP) that over 80% of all social media identities are Fake/Bots. now, not all of those are malicious. Most of it is capitalism/marketing. Using fake accounts an AI to extract data to target ads and get them in your feeds. But alot of those are malicous. outside interests and bad actors manipulating americans to hate each other, preying on the 50/50 divide and our arrogance where we think we are special and all our problems are because of the poor or the other party.

It will be the downfall of western civilization as we have known it. They prey on our egos... they train us to make us think we are intelligent because we googled something. they have for years chipped away at our educaiton system.

Americans are arrogant, ignorant, lazy, and ready to blame anyone but themselves.

Bingo. And to piggy back off of what you said, Its not entirely 100% Russia behind the malicious bots either I'd wager, there are a ton of bad faith actors right now foreign and domestic working to tear apart the west. The rise of malicious bot networks paired with Twitter, Facebook, and Reddit have done irreparable damage. It has literally killed hundreds of thousands of people in real time over the last two years due to botnets pumping antimask furor in 2020 and antivax furor in 2021. And it's not just right wing conservatives being targeted, they literally have bots pretending to be Black people spewing antivax propaganda in Black dominated social media circles.

Social media needs to be heavily regulated, but its far too late, and frankly both American political parties are so compromised by the corporate oligarchy, that nothing will be done about it.

Also yes, another good point you've raised is about education being decimated. Critical thinking has all but been destroyed. Someone thinks that they can google stuff and regurgitate it regardless of context without corroborating the source. It's madness.

Also, Right now there is a concerted effort in several states to literally destroy public education under the guise of "culture war" politics. In Indiana and other Red states they are passing laws where teachers aren't allowed to teach about the Holocaust unless there is also a "differing viewpoint" presented to children.

Let that sink in for a second. What kind of "differing viewpoint" do you need to present when teaching children factual information about Hitler throwing people in ovens and gassing them to death? That's beyond the pale. State governments literally forcing teachers to instill Holocaust denialism into children.

Any teacher worth their salt will refuse to work under these conditions and we will see a massive exodus of teachers, if it isn't happening already. This is by design, so that poorer communities will be underserved while the wealthy can send their kids to private schools not hindered by batsh*t laws where the best teachers will flock to.

This country is going to be ripped apart after the 2024 elections and you can bet Putin, Xi, and other enemies of the west are waiting patiently.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#622 » by gigantes » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:55 pm

> Any teacher worth their salt will refuse to work under these conditions and we will see a massive exodus of teachers, if it isn't happening already.

Not to mention, teaching at the ~7 to 12 grade level in the States was already a sh-tshow, not unlike what nurses dealing with CV19 are undergoing.

Being a teacher in America right now is generally one of the most stressful, underpaid jobs that I'm aware of.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#623 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:00 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Don't discount either how Putin has had a clear hand in elevating far right wing movements in Europe/UK/USA. Brexit/Trumpism had the GRU's fingerprints all over them. Even the antivax furor in the USA can directly be linked to Russian intelligence ops. Putin has played a long and dirty game to enrich himself and destabilize western nations.

For sure.

This is why I've been saying amongst friends the past few years that in real-world terms, we (and by extension the West) are in an active war with Russia, China, and even N.Korea to some degree. They are attacking us relentlessly via internet sabotage / IP theft, via internet false actors (both human & bot), via injecting money in to counter-security and treasonous activity taking place inside our borders, and who knows what else.

Not calling it a 'cold war' since that's kind of an antiqued term, but more of a Stealth / Underground war.

Sometimes I wonder if Dems at the national level wouldn't be better off drawing attention to this on a regular basis, because 1) it's real & measurable and 2) exposes what absolute traitors the modern GOP have become, directly in bed with Putin as they increasingly are.

Prokorov wrote:It will be the downfall of western civilization as we have known it. They prey on our egos... they train us to make us think we are intelligent because we googled something. they have for years chipped away at our educaiton system.

Americans are arrogant, ignorant, lazy, and ready to blame anyone but themselves.

Very much this.

The more I learn about Nixon, the more I realise what a huge, dirty step he was towards destroying democracy and laying the groundwork for future destruction, which Reagan of course seized on like the nectar of life, expanding the whole fraud.

Meanwhile, what were Dems and centrists doing in the ~five decades this whole scam was going on? Mostly stuff like futiley (sp?) reaching across the aisle and gently mocking the Right's ridiculousness, hoping both things would lead to an overall correction in an appeal to reason and national conscience. Well, f-ck... how god-awful naive those ideas were.

Like you say, meanwhile most Americans didn't have much clue about the mechanics of how the country was gradually being destroyed, and incidentally learned to get comfortable sniffing the whole 'America is the greatest country on Earth' BS.

Yes, most Americans outside the extreme Right have only themselves to blame for this whole mess, except that it did happen by degree, and the slow scam was likely being conducted by the right's masters of manipulation, like on par with the cigarette and oil industries' best psychological war-masters. Using our own pettier interests against ourselves... that sort of thing.

I have zero faith in National Democrat leadership to combat the stealth war that has been raging on social media networks for the last several years. Most of them are so old they barely know how to operate a smart phone.

You ever watch when tech CEOs get called in front of congress? It's absolutely embarrassing stuff to watch about how uninformed these Senators, many of whom are well past retirement age, are about how any of this works. I've seen Mark Zuckerberg, who has sold this country to the wolves, spew absolute bullsh*t in front of Congress and walk away unscathed.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#624 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:03 pm

gigantes wrote:> Any teacher worth their salt will refuse to work under these conditions and we will see a massive exodus of teachers, if it isn't happening already.

Not to mention, teaching at the ~7 to 12 grade level in the States was already a sh-tshow, not unlike what nurses dealing with CV19 are undergoing.

Being a teacher in America right now is generally one of the most stressful, underpaid jobs that I'm aware of.

Imagine having to teach during a pandemic, where the parents are more immature than their own children, and your local government is trying to pass laws that will force you to make teaching plans that fit a radical christo-fascist agenda?

I would quit too. Its not worth it.

gigantes
Starter

Post#625 » by gigantes » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:13 pm

I think also worth mentioning is that their set of strategies works by turning us against each other.

Less economically-fair wages, less spending power, and less consumer protections for all us regular people because it's being sucked in to the pockets of the sheltered wealthy? Then quite naturally-- the more us individuals tend to beef with each other over almost anything... the pettiest of sh-t, in effect.

Then the 'moral superiors' can point to us squabbling with each other and declare that WE are the root of the problem.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#626 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:55 pm

gigantes wrote:I think also worth mentioning is that their set of strategies works by turning us against each other.

Less economically-fair wages, less spending power, and less consumer protections for all us regular people because it's being sucked in to the pockets of the sheltered wealthy? Then quite naturally-- the more us individuals tend to beef with each other over almost anything... the pettiest of sh-t, in effect.

Then the 'moral superiors' can point to us squabbling with each other and declare that WE are the root of the problem.

This is at the heart of politicians pushing their racially charged and bigoted culture war politics: it keeps the rubes hatred aimed at minorities, gays and liberals while they ignore the fact that the corporate oligarchy is turning the USA into a 3rd world country.

The economy is supposedly "good" right now....but for whom? Food and gas prices are skyrocketing. Rents are out of control, an entire generation of Americans are locked out of the housing market.

This whole thing stinks.

gigantes
Starter

Post#627 » by gigantes » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:06 am

MrDollarBills wrote:This is at the heart of politicians pushing their racially charged and bigoted culture war politics: it keeps the rubes hatred aimed at minorities, gays and liberals while they ignore the fact that the corporate oligarchy is turning the USA into a 3rd world country.

The economy is supposedly "good" right now....but for whom? Food and gas prices are skyrocketing. Rents are out of control, an entire generation of Americans are locked out of the housing market.

This whole thing stinks.

Yes, well said. I was talking in a general sense, but for sure it's more targeted towards minorities, LGBT, and yeah, I guess 'liberals'* in a less-direct way. Makes anyone caught in that crossfire naturally kind of suspicious and competitive of each other when most of us should be helping each other out more and organising against the culture war.

* The use of the word "liberal" in the States makes me roll my eyes. Crazy how the far-right has gradually imposed it across the board, adding a nonsensical tinge of 'being out of touch,' when in reality, a "liberal" in the States is basically just a first-world centrist, with first-world wants & concerns.

Regarding the last thing you said, my growing perception is that wealth & power really are terribly effective insulators, directly reinforcing ego and helping divorce a person from reality, giving them the luxury of believing whatever batsh-t crazy nonsense they care to.

I mean yeah, most people easily understand that in theory, but it's when you actually listen to the people in power, you get so much better of a sense how bonkers they can be with their conspiracy theories, their easy dismissal or unconcern about sustainability issues, and their pet projects. Current figures like Bezos, Zuckerberg, & Musk come to mind, with Gates and Jobs being older examples. Except Jobs was an enormous, crazy a-hole who barely tried to pretend otherwise, and a thieving scoundrel like Gates probably had more sense than all of them combined, and at least made some efforts for charitable works and for sustainability, even if they were perhaps of the token and 'tax haven' variety.

So, circling back... not surprising why the whole thing stinks, when so many of these people have the view of 'I got mine, screw society, and now I get to play in my custom-built fantasy land for the rest of my life!' :D
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#628 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:32 pm

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This is at the heart of politicians pushing their racially charged and bigoted culture war politics: it keeps the rubes hatred aimed at minorities, gays and liberals while they ignore the fact that the corporate oligarchy is turning the USA into a 3rd world country.

This whole thing stinks.

Yes, well said. I was talking in a general sense, but for sure it's more targeted towards minorities, LGBT, and yeah, I guess 'liberals'* in a less-direct way. Makes anyone caught in that crossfire naturally kind of suspicious and competitive of each other when most of us should be helping each other out more and organising against the culture war.

* The use of the word "liberal" in the States makes me roll my eyes. Crazy how the far-right has gradually imposed it across the board, adding a nonsensical tinge of 'being out of touch,' when in reality, a "liberal" in the States is basically just a first-world centrist, with first-world wants & concerns.

Regarding the last thing you said, my growing perception is that wealth & power really are terribly effective insulators, directly reinforcing ego and helping divorce a person from reality, giving them the luxury of believing whatever batsh-t crazy nonsense they care to.

I mean yeah, most people easily understand that in theory, but it's when you actually listen to the people in power, you get so much better of a sense how bonkers they can be with their conspiracy theories, their easy dismissal or unconcern about sustainability issues, and their pet projects. Current figures like Bezos, Zuckerberg, & Musk come to mind, with Gates and Jobs being older examples. Except Jobs was an enormous, crazy a-hole who barely tried to pretend otherwise, and a thieving scoundrel like Gates probably had more sense than all of them combined, and at least made some efforts for charitable works and for sustainability, even if they were perhaps of the token and 'tax haven' variety.

So, circling back... not surprising why the whole thing stinks, when so many of these people have the view of 'I got mine, screw society, and now I get to play in my custom-built fantasy land for the rest of my life!' :D

Wealth is the ultimate insulator here in the United States. Just look at the establishment Democrats.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#629 » by GTR11 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=YXKoisr03oZPUJRXIhYR2w
gigantes
Starter

Post#630 » by gigantes » Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:06 am

Wow...

As pitiful as Putin looks here, he could still go on to cause untold damage across Europe and even the planet.

Hope the alliance of Russian oligarchs have an excellent "Plan P" for just this moment.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#631 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 26, 2022 1:37 pm

gigantes wrote:Wow...

As pitiful as Putin looks here, he could still go on to cause untold damage across Europe and even the planet.

Hope the alliance of Russian oligarchs have an excellent "Plan P" for just this moment.

The West is hesitant to engage militarily because of the threat of nukes. Putin is scum, but i always thought he wasnt crazy. Now he looks like he's unhinged. If the oligarchs aka the Russian Mafia want to maintain their cushy lifestyles and not be locked out of the global economy/face possible nuclear winter they may indeed want to pull Putin's plug. I doubt it though.

It's a tough call from the Western standpoint. NATO will support Ukraine with weaponry and supplies/money but that's where it ends. But to me, if Putin takes Ukraine, what stops him from marching into Poland?

This is probably going to evolve into something that doesn't end well.

bargara
Freshman
And1: 33

Post#632 » by bargara » Sat Feb 26, 2022 2:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Wow...

The West is hesitant to engage militarily because of the threat of nukes. Putin is scum, but i always thought he wasnt crazy. Now he looks like he's unhinged. If the oligarchs aka the Russian Mafia want to maintain their cushy lifestyles and not be locked out of the global economy/face possible nuclear winter they may indeed want to pull Putin's plug. I doubt it though.

It's a tough call from the Western standpoint. NATO will support Ukraine with weaponry and supplies/money but that's where it ends. But to me, if Putin takes Ukraine, what stops him from marching into Poland?

This is probably going to evolve into something that doesn't end well.

Yep, the problem is that Putin is all powerful & now appears to be totally unhinged

The oligarchs might cop some short term financial pain on the chin over Ukraine as nobody is stepping in

However, attacking a NATO country like Poland is a totally different proposition

Russia will be bombed back into the stone age if that were to occur & financial devastation would be inevitable

Not happening
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#634 » by GTR11 » Wed Mar 2, 2022 10:08 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=ZsMtR78vwPILnEgezAZgpg
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#635 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:15 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Facts.

You cannot be reliant on hostile governments for anything. The fact that we are importing Russian oil and are super reliant on China for goddamn everything is a national security threat.

TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#636 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Mar 3, 2022 1:59 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Facts.

You cannot be reliant on hostile governments for anything. The fact that we are importing Russian oil and are super reliant on China for goddamn everything is a national security threat.

That sort of nationalism was frowned upon a few years ago. It's amazing how a hostile act by hostile actors can quickly change a country's perspective.

I don't disagree, but we also have to brace for much, much higher inflation if we disentangle ourselves from Russia and especially China.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#637 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 3, 2022 3:00 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Facts.

That sort of nationalism was frowned upon a few years ago. It's amazing how a hostile act by hostile actors can quickly change a country's perspective.

I don't disagree, but we also have to brace for much, much higher inflation if we disentangle ourselves from Russia and especially China.

Yeah 100% you're right, it changes everything now. Putin becoming unhinged and China's threats to Taiwan/alleged Uyghurs genocide/South China seas antics have made things really shaky. I say we're still on better footing with China since both countries have a crap ton to lose if we stop doing business with each other, but our relationship Russia undoubtedly is in need of correction if the Russians don't put a bullet in Vlad's head for bring us closer to WW3. Either option comes with serious pain for everyone.

gigantes
Starter

Post#638 » by gigantes » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:42 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:...I don't disagree, but we also have to brace for much, much higher inflation if we disentangle ourselves from Russia and especially China.

From what I've read, economically disengaging from Russia is almost a non-issue for the States. We evidently get 3% of our crude from them and that's about it. Global gasoline prices spiked for a while because Russia's a much greater oil supplier to Europe, which drove up prices globally when the ban hit. But if I understand correctly, OPEC nations are now stepping in to replace that lost supply.

So, far as I know, at this point the USA doesn't have to worry directly about anything Russia provides, but Europe now has to worry about replacing natural gas supplies. That one's going to be rough, I think. Russia being the world's gas & oil depot, of course.

Btw one thing I hadn't understood earlier is that evidently Ukraine's Black Sea fossil fuel resources are extremely promising, and if put in to European / global supply, would be a tremendous blow to Russia. Putin's invasion is multifactorial of course, but that one might possibly be a 1A or 1B reason.
gigantes
Starter

Post#639 » by gigantes » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:55 pm

This war / invasion has to be one of the craziest things I've seen in my life. For example, I like to think I'm fairly good with history, but I'm trying to think of the last time a global or major regional power tried for a quick invasion of a neighboring area and it turning in to such an absolute disaster for them. A regime-ending and future-hobbling disaster, that is.

The obvious difference is that with this modern global economy, Russia's able to be crippled from afar with zero action needed on the battlefield. But even so, it's still astonishing to see a major power get trounced like this in a land-air battle, much of it due to its own unpreparedness and substandard military quality. Unfortunately of course, the murderous scoundrel is taking out plenty of innocents and infrastructure just because he can.

In any case, Putin just keeps digging himself further and further in, refusing to concede anything, with losses piling up in every conceivable direction.

He's gotta find some kind of offramp he can take, otherwise this does not bode well for a non-nuclear event IMO. Unfortunately I get the sense he's incredibly well insulated, surrounded by sycophants, fearful / cowed underlings, and thugs who wouldn't fare so well if he went down.
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#640 » by TheNetsFan » Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:35 am

gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:...I don't disagree, but we also have to brace for much, much higher inflation if we disentangle ourselves from Russia and especially China.

From what I've read, economically disengaging from Russia is almost a non-issue for the States. We evidently get 3% of our crude from them and that's about it. Global gasoline prices spiked for a while because Russia's a much greater oil supplier to Europe, which drove up prices globally when the ban hit. But if I understand correctly, OPEC nations are now stepping in to replace that lost supply.

So, far as I know, at this point the USA doesn't have to worry directly about anything Russia provides, but Europe now has to worry about replacing natural gas supplies. That one's going to be rough, I think. Russia being the world's gas & oil depot, of course.

Btw one thing I hadn't understood earlier is that evidently Ukraine's Black Sea fossil fuel resources are extremely promising, and if put in to European / global supply, would be a tremendous blow to Russia. Putin's invasion is multifactorial of course, but that one might possibly be a 1A or 1B reason.

It's more than just oil. They're big on mining as well. Prokhorov made most of his money in nickel.

Return to Brooklyn Nets