ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets buyout Faried; Faried headed to HOU (Shams)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Re: Nets to buyout Faried (Shams) 

Post#21 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:24 am

Born_Ready wrote:While it isn't completely out of the realm of possibilities, making room for Melo is the first thing that that popped in my head.

He’d fit in well in Atkinson’s system. A stretch 4 who can play with his back to the basket, and rebound, id love to have him here. As for Faried I wish things could’ve worked out differently.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:02 am

NetsJets wrote:
Born_Ready wrote:While it isn't completely out of the realm of possibilities, making room for Melo is the first thing that that popped in my head.

He’d fit in well in Atkinson’s system. A stretch 4 who can play with his back to the basket, and rebound, id love to have him here. As for Faried I wish things could’ve worked out differently.

Kenny doesnt play back to the basket. and a stretch 4 doesnt help if he doesnt pass the ball is a chucker and overall is an enormous negative on and off the court

carmello hasnt been a good 3 point shooter in several years and offensively is well below average at this point. he sulks and doesnt play hard and has a huge ego.

we dont need a guy to shoot 40% fg, 32% threes, and not play defense
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Re: Nets buyout Faried; Faried headed to HOU (Shams) 

Post#23 » by LOUiS-D » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:08 am

I much prefer to have existing two way dudes fill out the roster or at least someone who's happy and willing to bounce between Long Island and Brooklyn. If you fill the spot with another player who feels entitled to minutes (rightly or wrongly) you may as well have kept Faried.

Unless there really is a missing piece out there.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#24 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

Kenny doesnt play back to the basket. and a stretch 4 doesnt help if he doesnt pass the ball is a chucker and overall is an enormous negative on and off the court

carmello hasnt been a good 3 point shooter in several years and offensively is well below average at this point. he sulks and doesnt play hard and has a huge ego.

“Kenny doesn’t play back to the basket” because we don’t have a back to the basket player. That is an element that is lacking on this team right now, someone that is capable of creating shots downlow and when the defense collapses it gives the team open 3’s when the ball is kicked out. He’s a better passer than he gets credit for, Jared Dudley is averaging 1.6 assists for his career, Melo is averaging 3.0 for his career. He’s not the greatest defender in the world but he has smarts and savvy and would be a good veteran presence. To say he doesn’t play hard is definitely not true, you sound like you have something against him..
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#25 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:50 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:He’d fit in well in Atkinson’s system. A stretch 4 who can play with his back to the basket, and rebound, id love to have him here. As for Faried I wish things could’ve worked out differently.

“Kenny doesn’t play back to the basket” because we don’t have a back to the basket player. That is an element that is lacking on this team right now, someone that is capable of creating shots downlow and when the defense collapses it gives the team open 3’s when the ball is kicked out. He’s a better passer than he gets credit for, Jared Dudley is averaging 1.6 assists for his career, Melo is averaging 3.0 for his career. He’s not the greatest defender in the world but he has smarts and savvy and would be a good veteran presence. To say he doesn’t play hard is definitely not true, you sound like you have something against him..
No, post ups are not part of the system. The 4 out and 5 out systems are predicated on spacing, movement and driving.

Also, Melo is not a long term fit. Marks will use the spot to advance the long term goals.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,852

Post#26 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 1:55 pm

Two things:

1) Really glad that the Nets did Faried a solid here. He kept his mouth shut and was a supportive teammate even though he wasn't a fit here. I wish him much success with Houston and I hope he gets to respark his career because even in limited minutes here he showed that he still is an explosive athlete.

2) Why in god's earth would anyone want Melo to come in here and taint this locker room? Are yall serious??? There's a reason why he's unemployed right now. His game has fallen into the toilet and he's a locker room cancer.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#27 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:11 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:He’d fit in well in Atkinson’s system. A stretch 4 who can play with his back to the basket, and rebound, id love to have him here. As for Faried I wish things could’ve worked out differently.

We dont have a back to the basket player on the roster because Marks and Kenny dont value back to the basket basketball. They fully subscribe to the analytics that say any touch in the post is a wasted possession.

more open threes? we gets TONS of open threes. going to the pick and roll and motion drive and kick will always result in more threes then a post touch. in fact the post gets fewer open threes then almost anything since 99?% of teams wont double the post even in a huge mismatch.

Carmello isnt just bad on defense, he doesnt try. he has a huge ego. he reused to come off the bench. and most of all at this point in his career he is a BAD player.

Graham is a better player right now. so is RHJ. so is dudley
NetsJets
Starter

Post#28 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:35 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

No, post ups are not part of the system. The 4 out and 5 out systems are predicated on spacing, movement and driving.

Also, Melo is not a long term fit. Marks will use the spot to advance the long term goals.

It can be if we have someone that can post up. I do recall Lopez posting up under Atkinson. And it isn’t like Melo can’t spot up and/or move without the ball or provide spacing. He’s not the long term answer here but everyone knows that, it’s about helping us in the short term while we find a long term solution...
NetsJets
Starter

Post#29 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:48 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

We dont have a back to the basket player on the roster because Marks and Kenny dont value back to the basket basketball. They fully subscribe to the analytics that say any touch in the post is a wasted possession.

more open threes? we gets TONS of open threes. going to the pick and roll and motion drive and kick will always result in more threes then a post touch. in fact the post gets fewer open threes then almost anything since 99?% of teams wont double the post even in a huge mismatch.

Carmello isnt just bad on defense, he doesnt try. he has a huge ego. he reused to come off the bench. and most of all at this point in his career he is a BAD player.

Graham is a better player right now. so is RHJ. so is dudley

I don’t think it’s an issue of them not valuing back to the basket players, if the right players comes along and he’s a fit they’ll play him. Those possessions where RHJ/Allen/Graham/Davis is attempting to post up with tepid results should point to a issue where we need someone that is capable of getting points downlow and can draw a double team or two. That would make our offense better and would give more open looks to our shooters. And as a added bonus he can actually help on the boards which is another area of weakness for us.

To say he doesn’t try on defense is wrong and sounds to me like you have an agenda against him. He never refused to come off the bench, he accepted a bench role, the issue was that he wanted to play and coaches wanted to sit him in favor of guys like Gary Clark. Those 3’s that Graham bricks all the time Melo would make at least at the minimum half of those.. RHJ and Graham are better players defensively, but it’s offset by their lack of scoring which Melo is clearly superior at even at this stage of his career. Melo can do what Dudley does while teams have to game plan for him.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#30 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:03 pm

We actually do have someone that can post up his defender, but I like it better when he takes threes since he's hitting them at a 36% clip.

NetsJets
Starter

Post#31 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:We actually do have someone that can post up his defender, but I like it better when he takes threes since he's hitting them at a 36% clip.

Who? Russell?
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#32 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:22 pm

NetsJets wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We actually do have someone that can post up his defender, but I like it better when he takes threes since he's hitting them at a 36% clip.

Who? Russell?

yep.

that hasn't been given the green light by Kenny, but it's something that I think the coaching staff shouldn't just ignore.

you kind of have to throw the analytics out with Russell. As someone put the other day, this kid shouldn't be doing what he does when you look at the advanced numbers. he's an outlier.

NetsJets
Starter

Post#33 » by NetsJets » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
NetsJets wrote:

Who? Russell?

yep.

that hasn't been given the green light by Kenny, but it's something that I think the coaching staff shouldn't just ignore.

you kind of have to throw the analytics out with Russell. As someone put the other day, this kid shouldn't be doing what he does when you look at the advanced numbers. he's an outlier.

He’s just not aggressive enough when his shot isn’t falling. At least Dinwiddie will drive and look to draw fouls, Russell becomes passive and defers a little too much, so if he is to be a consistent post up threat he’d have to look to drive more.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#34 » by brook » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:56 pm

Melo :lol: :crazy:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#35 » by kamaze » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:57 pm

If your young center doesn't post up in the offense why would you use your point guard to do it? DLO is better on the perimeter.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Nets buyout Faried; Faried headed to HOU (Shams) 

Post#36 » by Paradise » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:11 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Two things:

1) Really glad that the Nets did Faried a solid here. He kept his mouth shut and was a supportive teammate even though he wasn't a fit here. I wish him much success with Houston and I hope he gets to respark his career because even in limited minutes here he showed that he still is an explosive athlete.

2) Why in god's earth would anyone want Melo to come in here and taint this locker room? Are yall serious??? There's a reason why he's unemployed right now. His game has fallen into the toilet and he's a locker room cancer.

He’s not that bad. Come on. He’s not a liking IG statuses essentially calling his teammate a bum like Faried.

I do believe the Rockets are mishandling that situation...he’s getting the same treatment we gave Dudley before he got traded here.

I think it would also help send a good message to FAs...

Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#37 » by Mosdefinition » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:24 pm

Shark wrote:Why is Melo even in anyone's mind for this team? He would ruin the chemistry we have going right now and we've seen that his game doesn't really fit in with a run and gun style offense.

Exactly this team isn't winning a championship so why would marks take a risk like that

It's still about finding pieces to get to a championship level
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#38 » by TheNetsFan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:14 pm

kamaze wrote:If your young center doesn't post up in the offense why would you use your point guard to do it? DLO is better on the perimeter.

You post upto to exploit size advantages. Russell has a size advantage over most PGs. Allen does not have a size advantage over any Centers.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:04 pm

kamaze wrote:If your young center doesn't post up in the offense why would you use your point guard to do it? DLO is better on the perimeter.

yall want Russell getting to the FT line more right? Giving him 2-3 post up possession a night probably helps that.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#40 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Two things:

He’s not that bad. Come on. He’s not a liking IG statuses essentially calling his teammate a bum like Faried.

I do believe the Rockets are mishandling that situation...he’s getting the same treatment we gave Dudley before he got traded here.

I think it would also help send a good message to FAs...

Nah. Unless sitting at home the last several weeks has humbled his ego, Melo is not a good fit here.

Return to Brooklyn Nets