ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets buyout Faried; Faried headed to HOU (Shams)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Nets buyout Faried; Faried headed to HOU (Shams) 

Post#41 » by MGrand15 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm gonna start reporting people that suggest we should sign Melo. I'm sorry, mods. It's becoming offensive.

He's one of the worst defensive players in the league. Super inefficient offensive player. Not a good spot up shooter. Not willing to be a role player. Huge ego that Westbrook, Paul George, James Harden, and Chris Paul couldn't help him with.

We're over here WINNING with young guys, smart vets, guys that play 100% full effort that believe in team ball. Melo is the exact opposite.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#42 » by kamaze » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:07 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:If your young center doesn't post up in the offense why would you use your point guard to do it? DLO is better on the perimeter.

yall want Russell getting to the FT line more right? Giving him 2-3 post up possession a night probably helps that.

Don't care about him shooting more free throws.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#43 » by SpeedyG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Two things:

1) Really glad that the Nets did Faried a solid here. He kept his mouth shut and was a supportive teammate even though he wasn't a fit here. I wish him much success with Houston and I hope he gets to respark his career because even in limited minutes here he showed that he still is an explosive athlete.

2) Why in god's earth would anyone want Melo to come in here and taint this locker room? Are yall serious??? There's a reason why he's unemployed right now. His game has fallen into the toilet and he's a locker room cancer.

He’s not that bad. Come on. He’s not a liking IG statuses essentially calling his teammate a bum like Faried.

I do believe the Rockets are mishandling that situation...he’s getting the same treatment we gave Dudley before he got traded here.

I think it would also help send a good message to FAs...

Nah. Unless sitting at home the last several weeks has humbled his ego, Melo is not a good fit here.
He really doesn't fit. But if Kenny can get him to buy in? Might as well give him coach of the decade award because he would have done something no coach had been able to do including his mentor.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#44 » by SpeedyG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
kamaze wrote:If your young center doesn't post up in the offense why would you use your point guard to do it? DLO is better on the perimeter.

yall want Russell getting to the FT line more right? Giving him 2-3 post up possession a night probably helps that.
Not sure it does. He'll be taking the same type of shots (semi hooks, pull up, fade) that he'd take off the dribble. I don't think it will change his offense much, and might be a detriment since then our offense may stagnate (as offenses sometimes do in post ups/iso).

Though I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of action where Joe comes from left to right for a three in the wing (same side as Russell's post up) behind an Allen screen on top of key, who would dive to the basket.

That would give Russell option of shooting, passing to Joe coming open, or to Allen.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,911

Post#45 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:38 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Not sure it does. He'll be taking the same type of shots (semi hooks, pull up, fade) that he'd take off the dribble. I don't think it will change his offense much, and might be a detriment since then our offense may stagnate (as offenses sometimes do in post ups/iso).

Though I wouldn't mind seeing some kind of action where Joe comes from left to right for a three in the wing (same side as Russell's post up) behind an Allen screen on top of key, who would dive to the basket.

That would give Russell option of shooting, passing to Joe coming open, or to Allen.

^^that too. Lots of options.

again, I only advocate doing this 2-3 times a game at most. It just throws a different wrinkle into the offense from time to time.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets to buyout Faried (Shams) 

Post#46 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:27 pm

NetsJets wrote:It can be if we have someone that can post up. I do recall Lopez posting up under Atkinson.

Really? that what you recall? Because what I recall is that brook lopez had attempted 19 career three point attempts in 8 seasons and then once kenny took over he told brook to stop posting up and start shooting threes. lopez to 387 three point attempts in year 1 under kenny. His two point attempts were reduced by 187 and his post ups reduced by 110.

and even then, they felt they needed a pick and roll center who was more mobile defensively so they traded lopez after just 1 season in their system....

so yea dont give me this stuff that its about not having a back to the basket player. they dont want a back to the basket player

And it isn’t like Melo can’t spot up and/or move without the ball or provide spacing. He’s not the long term answer here but everyone knows that, it’s about helping us in the short term while we find a long term solution...

he cant help us short term. he is bad player with a horrible ego and a terrible fit. we have better floor spacing options (Carroll) who arent ego maniacs and who actually play defense and arent huge chucking ball hogs
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#47 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:30 pm

NetsJets wrote:I don’t think it’s an issue of them not valuing back to the basket players, if the right players comes along and he’s a fit they’ll play him. Those possessions where RHJ/Allen/Graham/Davis is attempting to post up with tepid results should point to a issue where we need someone that is capable of getting points downlow and can draw a double team or two. That would make our offense better and would give more open looks to our shooters. And as a added bonus he can actually help on the boards which is another area of weakness for us.

You dont think its about not valuing back to the basket players?

Marks/kenny took over and:

-year 1 traded thad young
-year 2 traded brook lopez after changing him into a pick and pop three point shooter in year 1
-drafted a center who has 5 career post ups in 2 seaons (1 post up this year) in Jarrett Allen
-have gone small at PF with guys who shoot and drive... carroll, dudley, kurucs...
-they glued faried to the bench

they have brought in, or offered contracts to ZERO back to the basket players
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#48 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:32 pm

Paradise wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Two things:

1) Really glad that the Nets did Faried a solid here. He kept his mouth shut and was a supportive teammate even though he wasn't a fit here. I wish him much success with Houston and I hope he gets to respark his career because even in limited minutes here he showed that he still is an explosive athlete.

2) Why in god's earth would anyone want Melo to come in here and taint this locker room? Are yall serious??? There's a reason why he's unemployed right now. His game has fallen into the toilet and he's a locker room cancer.

He’s not that bad. Come on. He’s not a liking IG statuses essentially calling his teammate a bum like Faried.

I do believe the Rockets are mishandling that situation...he’s getting the same treatment we gave Dudley before he got traded here.

I was 100% for bringing in a dudley... a great teammate everywhere he has been and a guy who is unslefish and wants to help younger guys.

MElo is 180 of that.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#49 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:

i dont care if he never shoots another FT. i want him continuing to execute in the pick and roll, continue improving his three point shot and continue to create offense for others
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#50 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:34 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I'm gonna start reporting people that suggest we should sign Melo. I'm sorry, mods. It's becoming offensive.

He's one of the worst defensive players in the league. Super inefficient offensive player. Not a good spot up shooter. Not willing to be a role player. Huge ego that Westbrook, Paul George, James Harden, and Chris Paul couldn't help him with.

We're over here WINNING with young guys, smart vets, guys that play 100% full effort that believe in team ball. Melo is the exact opposite.

/Thread

there couldnt possibly be a worst fit for this team other then maybe bringing derrick coleman out of retirement
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#51 » by SpeedyG » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:I don’t think it’s an issue of them not valuing back to the basket players, if the right players comes along and he’s a fit they’ll play him. Those possessions where RHJ/Allen/Graham/Davis is attempting to post up with tepid results should point to a issue where we need someone that is capable of getting points downlow and can draw a double team or two. That would make our offense better and would give more open looks to our shooters. And as a added bonus he can actually help on the boards which is another area of weakness for us.

-year 2 traded brook lopez after changing him into a pick and pop three point shooter in year 1
-drafted a center who has 5 career post ups in 2 seaons (1 post up this year) in Jarrett Allen
-have gone small at PF with guys who shoot and drive... carroll, dudley, kurucs...

In fairness...

Brook has gotten this false rep that hes a post up guy. And while he can do that, he was better going to the rim because as a post up guy he doesn't establish his base and gets pushed waaaay out. This was a pretty clear cut discussion in this board when we had him.

Young, again can post. But we absolutely needed a 1st and he got us our guy in Caris.

There's just not a lot of bigs who legitimately post, and if they do they are deficient in other aspect of the game (likely perimeter defense) that it negates whatever value they have as a post scorer.

Rondae the past couple of seasons has been given the ball in the post.

I don't think that if Allen (or some other big, shoot even Kawhi or KD) come here that Kenny will dissuade from operating from the post.

It's not that they don't want it...its just that it's tough to find one who is also athletic enough to defend the wide-open perimeter everoyone plays now.

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#52 » by NetsJets » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:It can be if we have someone that can post up. I do recall Lopez posting up under Atkinson.

Really? that what you recall? Because what I recall is that brook lopez had attempted 19 career three point attempts in 8 seasons and then once kenny took over he told brook to stop posting up and start shooting threes. lopez to 387 three point attempts in year 1 under kenny. His two point attempts were reduced by 187 and his post ups reduced by 110.

and even then, they felt they needed a pick and roll center who was more mobile defensively so they traded lopez after just 1 season in their system....

so yea dont give me this stuff that its about not having a back to the basket player. they dont want a back to the basket player

And it isn’t like Melo can’t spot up and/or move without the ball or provide spacing. He’s not the long term answer here but everyone knows that, it’s about helping us in the short term while we find a long term solution...

he cant help us short term. he is bad player with a horrible ego and a terrible fit. we have better floor spacing options (Carroll) who arent ego maniacs and who actually play defense and arent huge chucking ball hogs

Lopez is strictly a 3 point shooter now, do you see him in Milwaukee these days? His game has evolved into taking much more 3 pointers now, and the point about posting up is having someone with the ability to post up because it gives us another dimension to our offense that we currently don’t have. Melo can shoot and post up, we else on our roster can consistently do that?

How is a big man that can stretch the floor, pass, and rebound not fit and can’t help us? And where are you getting this idea that he’s an egomaniac?
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#53 » by NetsJets » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:

Thad Young and Brook Lopez were veterans that were traded for draft picks and younger players that could be long term players on this team? That’s a bad argument.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#54 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:55 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Lopez is strictly a 3 point shooter now, do you see him in Milwaukee these days? His game has evolved into taking much more 3 pointers now, and the point about posting up is having someone with the ability to post up because it gives us another dimension to our offense that we currently don’t have. Melo can shoot and post up, we else on our roster can consistently do that?

How is a big man that can stretch the floor, pass, and rebound not fit and can’t help us? And where are you getting this idea that he’s an egomaniac?

we dont want guys who post up... marks and atkinson dont value post ups. Carmello has shot the ball below average, we have better big man three point shooters then carmello. he plays no defense and offensively he is a ball stopper. he is the worst possible fit on and off the court
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#55 » by Paradise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:50 pm

Is he serious?

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#56 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:59 pm

He wasn't a fit and he's not better than Allen or Davis, so it is what it is.

It's not the Nets' problem that he's mad, it's his. He's on another team getting a chance to earn a contract well before it was too late to join a playoff team.

Regardless, the Nets did him a solid and let him go and still paid his ass. It changes nothing on our end.

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#57 » by MGrand15 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:12 pm

Don't blame him at all for being mad. RHJ essentially took his spot as the 3rd string center. That wasn't the plan at all nor was it a good idea.

Not a big deal - its difficult to keep everyone happy. We made the right move letting him go.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#58 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:49 pm

not enough minutes... seems unlike marks to tell a guy one thing and then do another... he typically bends over backwards for these guys. more likely they asked him to shoot threes and he never go to where they needed to see to get him minutes at the 4, nor did he outplay davis for minutes at the 5.

that said, i think he probably interpeted things a different way

i wish him luck and no ill will
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#59 » by gigantes » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:34 am

Kenneth Faried wrote:“It’s very frustrating. A lot of, ‘We’re going to play you when injuries,’ and a lot of, ‘We’re going to play you when in this moment, that moment,’” Faried said Tuesday.

“Just tell me when you’re going to play me or tell me if you don’t want to play me. Tell me if you want me here or not. Because I’m a real honest player, I’m going to give you my heart, give you my all. And I wear my emotions on sleeve. I’m not going to be happy if you keep lying to me and telling me false statements.”

Maybe there's something about the situation I'm not understanding, but this guy sure sounds like he's being a petulant brat, here. He's saying the Nets lied to him and/or were unclear about when he would play, yet he also seems to refute his own remark up above. He gives no allowance for the fact that the injury situation and the available moments did not in fact work in his favor. But that's something everyone else on the roster had to battle through, as well. Anyone in life could also say they've been "lied to" and "deceived" when life didn't give them what they expected.

And then the Nets totally hooked him up by buying him out at almost full price in order for him to go to a team that needed him. But there was also some actual risk in doing so, for example in case Davis or Allen go down for the year or something. Faried seems incredibly oblivious and ungracious about all that. And then there's this:

Ian Eagle noted in both a podcast last week with WFAN’s Steve Lichtenstein and in a post-game summary Monday’ that Faried was the only one on the 17-man roster who was not all-in with the Nets culture. And as our Anthony Puccio noted, that was more than obvious on occasions when during huddles, Faried would stand as far as 20 feet away.

Again, maybe I'm missing something, but it sounds like good riddance to this guy. I'm sure he would have been quite useful if we'd needed him, but there's a lot more to being a good teammate and culture fit IMO.

/rant
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:16 pm

You could tell that there was a disconnect, but its even worse than I figured I guess. Oh well, the Nets deal with someone like this every year it seems like since Marks took over. Last year it was Okafor. Before that it was Scola. I'm sure next year someone will be "that guy" as well who will be shown the door while the rest of the group continues to move upward.

That's why you've got to be wary of who you bring in. Faried for the most part kept his mouth shut which is why I'm glad the Nets did him a solid, but still.

Return to Brooklyn Nets