ImageImageImageImageImage

Would You Drop Trou for AD?

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Would You Drop Trou for AD? 

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 7:06 am

The next 72 hours will be extremely interesting.

Anthony Davis, the 25yo MVP candidate and walking 30/15/5/2/3 machine, is agitating for a trade. The Lakers, his WIDELY rumored preferred destination, have insulted New Orleans' FO with their initial offer. AD's hometown team, Chicago, has declared (unprompted) that Markannen and Carter are off limits. That would suggest that they are not looking to trade for a bigman. The only other team that was rumored to be in play for Unibrow was New York, and they just sent their best trade asset packing to Dallas.

Could this be the Brooklyn Nets' golden opportunity to swoop in for a franchise-altering player? If the Pelicans decide to wait until the summer, surely teams like Boston will join the bidding war. But if you believe the rumor mill, NOP may not have the stomach to wait for the summer, and may opt to avoid the possible drama of a drawn-out soap opera over their superstar's next destination.

Now, getting Davis won't be cheap. To outdo LAL's offer, we would need to sacrifice Jarrett Allen AND Caris LeVert, among others. IF we could move Crabbe along with them, we would be able to keep enough capspace to offer a maximum salary to a FA this summer. We have a fun nucleus now, but with AD and Russell in the fold, we could vault to the pole position for the very best FA's.

The trade deadline is February 7th. It may come and go without a peep from Brooklyn. But despite our affection for this core, would YOU pull the trigger on this deal?

Crabbe/LeVert/Allen/DEN1st for Davis/Miller/Frazier

I'll just leave this here:

Russell, Harris, Leonard, Kurucs, Davis
Napier, Dinwiddie, Musa, {Schofield}, Williams
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Re: Would You Drop Trou for AD? 

Post#2 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 1:14 pm

You need at least one more unprotected 1st in that deal, plus you won't have the ability to sign Leonard without losing one of DLo, Dinwiddie or Harris.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#3 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 4, 2019 2:16 pm

Davis wants to play for the Lakers. The only thing this trade accomplishes is holding a player hostage for a season and a half before he walks to LA in July of 2020.

As much as I would love to add him to this roster, it doesn't make sense. He would need to want to actually come here for me to think that something like this is even remotely feasible.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#4 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Davis wants to play for the Lakers. The only thing this trade accomplishes is holding a player hostage for a season and a half before he walks to LA in July of 2020.

As much as I would love to add him to this roster, it doesn't make sense. He would need to want to actually come here for me to think that something like this is even remotely feasible.

Yes, the Lakers' involvement makes me leery. But again, IF you believe sources, both New York clubs are on his list. We'll most likely never get a sound byte from AD saying " I will re-sign here", but 16 months of superstar play and the ability to pay him more than everyone else in 2020 FA is a gamble I'm willing to take. Especially if his presence helps us lure another superstar THIS summer.

Anyway, Silver is probably going to put the Tampering kibosh on any deal to LAL. We might low-key be his likeliest destination.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#5 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 3:13 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:You need at least one more unprotected 1st in that deal, plus you won't have the ability to sign Leonard without losing one of DLo, Dinwiddie or Harris.

Yeah, I played with the numbers a bit, and I know what you mean. After this trade, we'd have about $85mil in committed salary and roster holds for 19-20, with Russell's RFA cap hold but without Jefferson's (I don't think we'll keep him, unless we whiff on every single 1st-, 2nd- and 3rd-tier FA).

That's $24mil in capspace. To get the additional $6mil needed for Kawhi's max deal (7-10yrs exp), we could include our 1st in the Davis deal, waive Napier and ask Russell to agree to a deal starting in the $17mil range. It's a lot of hoops to jump, but within the realm of possibility. And for the chance to form a team with 2 legit MVP candidates under 28, I say do it!
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 4, 2019 5:07 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Davis wants to play for the Lakers. The only thing this trade accomplishes is holding a player hostage for a season and a half before he walks to LA in July of 2020.

Yes, the Lakers' involvement makes me leery. But again, IF you believe sources, both New York clubs are on his list. We'll most likely never get a sound byte from AD saying " I will re-sign here", but 16 months of superstar play and the ability to pay him more than everyone else in 2020 FA is a gamble I'm willing to take. Especially if his presence helps us lure another superstar THIS summer.

Anyway, Silver is probably going to put the Tampering kibosh on any deal to LAL. We might low-key be his likeliest destination.

I have yet to see anything from the media that says AD is considering Brooklyn?

ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 6:33 pm

https://www.metro.us/sports/anthony-davis-nba-trade-rumors-celtics-lakers-knicks-nets
https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/1/28/18200500/anthony-davis-trade-rumors-lakers-celtics-nets-knicks-bulls

As I mentioned, we're never going to hear first-hand from Anthony Davis that he would accept a trade to Brooklyn, and indicate a willingness to re-sign here in 2020. This is Woj saying that the Knicks and Nets THINK they have a shot. You can say it's pure speculation, but there are other teams with max capspace and a promising future. It's a short list of alleged preferred destinations, and we're on it. In fact, unless LAL ponies up, we might be the highest bidder.

As much as a I love Jarrett's progression, and think that LeVert has 20/5/5/1/1 potential, the opportunity to land a superstar AND keep capspace is too rich to pass.
-- Steve Martin
flavio_93
Junior
And1: 419

Post#8 » by flavio_93 » Mon Feb 4, 2019 8:02 pm

If he agrees to resigning here you give anyone and anything for Davis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#9 » by Claud » Mon Feb 4, 2019 8:08 pm

AD is a top 10 player in this league and has not even reached his prime yet. If we have him in BK come summer time we'd be able to sell NY + come play with AD.

With that being said, it would take an offer of Fro + Dlo + multiple 1st + getting back bad contracts to even be in the conversation.

Very curious to see what happens. I still see him ending up in LA with Lakers since they have bron.
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#10 » by JoseRizal » Mon Feb 4, 2019 10:48 pm

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:04 pm

And today just reaffirms what I've been saying all along about this franchise and big name talent.

Anthony Davis is not interested in playing for the Nets, and neither are any of the other big names. So before people on here balk at signing Tobias Harris this summer, or resigning Russell for 20+ mil a season, realize that these are the only feasible choices.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:07 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:https://www.metro.us/sports/anthony-davis-nba-trade-rumors-celtics-lakers-knicks-nets
https://www.netsdaily.com/2019/1/28/18200500/anthony-davis-trade-rumors-lakers-celtics-nets-knicks-bulls

As I mentioned, we're never going to hear first-hand from Anthony Davis that he would accept a trade to Brooklyn, and indicate a willingness to re-sign here in 2020. This is Woj saying that the Knicks and Nets THINK they have a shot. You can say it's pure speculation, but there are other teams with max capspace and a promising future. It's a short list of alleged preferred destinations, and we're on it. In fact, unless LAL ponies up, we might be the highest bidder.

As much as a I love Jarrett's progression, and think that LeVert has 20/5/5/1/1 potential, the opportunity to land a superstar AND keep capspace is too rich to pass.

Read on Twitter

we absolutely do not have a shot. we are not on his list.

Anthony Davis wants to play for the Lakers. Period.

JoseRizal
General Manager

Post#13 » by JoseRizal » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:24 pm

That is something that really pains me as a Nets fan. We’ve been through hell with the Billy King idiocy, but was able to recover very well, thanks to a competent GM in Sean Marks, and is now progressing and has attractive players & culture moving forward.

But in spite of these, we’re still not a preffered destination for superstar free agents?

The Knicks has been mediocre, even worse than we are in terms of ownership, front office management, chemistry and team morale, and yet after blowing it up by trading the unicorn, they are still a preferred team? What am I missing here?
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,597

Post#14 » by TheNetsFan » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:47 pm

The list is fugazi. He picked 3 teams that don't have the type of assets NOLA wants. He's saying only the Lakers without saying only the Lakers.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 4, 2019 11:55 pm

JoseRizal wrote:That is something that really pains me as a Nets fan. We’ve been through hell with the Billy King idiocy, but was able to recover very well, thanks to a competent GM in Sean Marks, and is now progressing and has attractive players & culture moving forward.

But in spite of these, we’re still not a preffered destination for superstar free agents?

The Knicks has been mediocre, even worse than we are in terms of ownership, front office management, chemistry and team morale, and yet after blowing it up by trading the unicorn, they are still a preferred team? What am I missing here?

This is why I get so down about it. It's always "Knicks Knicks Knicks" when the Nets have been busting their tails the last few years to really become something special and it seems like it just doesn't matter.

JoseRizal
General Manager

Post#16 » by JoseRizal » Tue Feb 5, 2019 12:31 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
JoseRizal wrote:That is something that really pains me as a Nets fan. We’ve been through hell with the Billy King idiocy, but was able to recover very well, thanks to a competent GM in Sean Marks, and is now progressing and has attractive players & culture moving forward.

This is why I get so down about it. It's always "Knicks Knicks Knicks" when the Nets have been busting their tails the last few years to really become something special and it seems like it just doesn't matter.

Plight of a Nets fan... :banghead:
flavio_93
Junior
And1: 419

Post#17 » by flavio_93 » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:02 am

That’s fine man. Let Knick fans have something to look forward to. We all know no one is really going o the knicks. I rather enjoy watching a great team then have Stephen a smith talking about us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#18 » by DarkXaero » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:37 am

I don't believe for a second that he'd be fine playing for the Knicks but not the Nets. It makes zero sense.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#19 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:49 am

DarkXaero wrote:I don't believe for a second that he'd be fine playing for the Knicks but not the Nets. It makes zero sense.

Just like Kyrie Irving wanting to play for the Knicks, but yet this is all we hear about. Durant, Irving, Davis all want to play for the Knicks. Nets are an afterthought. :crazy:

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,559

Post#20 » by DarkXaero » Tue Feb 5, 2019 1:53 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I don't believe for a second that he'd be fine playing for the Knicks but not the Nets. It makes zero sense.

Just like Kyrie Irving wanting to play for the Knicks, but yet this is all we hear about. Durant, Irving, Davis all want to play for the Knicks. Nets are an afterthought. :crazy:
It doesn't make sense. Knicks are a historically bad franchise, especially since 2000, with awful management & ownership. Nets aren't especially successful but the front office/ownership & current outlook ranks way higher than the Knicks. I feel like its a media fed narrative. Not saying that Shams isn't reliable or that AD can't list the Knicks as a destination. But it makes zero sense to list the Knicks as a preferred destination but not the Nets.

Return to Brooklyn Nets