ImageImageImageImageImage

The 8th anniversary of the Deron Williams trade

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: The 8th anniversary of the Deron Williams trade 

Post#41 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:59 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I just can't believe that we traded for a prime star who happened to stop giving an F about basketball. I understand the injuries but dude looked like he didn't pick up a basketball all off season. Never seen someone's skill decline like that. His game should've EASILY aged to the point where he was still good at 32-33. He had the natural feel to do what CP3 did but had literally 0 work ethic.

The follow up trades really killed us. Billy King and Bobby Marks are on my fade on-sight list.

yup... everyone loves to kill the boston trade were we gave up all the pics... but if deron doesnt have the most unprecedented fall from grace (without a serious injury being involved) at 29 years old, then we dont end up swapping picks with boston and the picks they do get are not top 3/lotto picks

he went from All-NBA to low level backup being bought out by multiple teams in 3 years from age 26 to 29

unheard of.

That would be like anothony davis being cody zellars backup 2 seasons from now
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#42 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:01 pm

NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:So if we give up assets and young players for top 15 NBA talent then we’re no longer rebuilding and is now trying to be competitive. If we don’t move to Brooklyn we don’t try to acquire a superstar since we are not moving to a new city and trying to win over new fans. We more than likely stay the course and rebuild.

there is no scenario were we dont make the trade for deron. none.

Yes there is. The no move to Brooklyn scenario

We would still jump at the chance to trade for a 26 year old superstar. it isnt even debateable. we 100% make that move with no brooklyn. every team in nab history would regardless of their situation. there is literally nothing more valuable then a superstar just entering his prime
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#43 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:07 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Of course the follow up moves were far worse, no one's arguing otherwise. What I'm saying is that Billy King didn't do his due diligence, and rushed into the Deron Williams trade. The Jerry Sloan drama should have been a huge red flag. The wrist injury and his attitude should have been a red flag.

nothing that would have prevented a trade. look at Anothony Davis, he has injury questions, ego questions. teams are falling over themselves to sign him
Deron was nowhere near AD's level.

Deron was coming off three straight 2nd team All-NBA the year we traded for him.

Davis missed the all-nba team 2 of the last 3 years and was 1st team all-nba 2 yeas ago.

Davis is a top 10 player... probably 4th to 7th best.

Deron was a top 12 player.... probably 6th to 10th best

he was certainly in a similar range/age and he got his team further as far as wins/playoffs as their clear best player
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#44 » by NetsJets » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
there is no scenario were we dont make the trade for deron. none.

Yes there is. The no move to Brooklyn scenario

We would still jump at the chance to trade for a 26 year old superstar. it isnt even debateable. we 100% make that move with no brooklyn. every team in nab history would regardless of their situation. there is literally nothing more valuable then a superstar just entering his prime

We were rebuilding and it didn’t make sense to give up assets and picks for a player that at the time we didn’t know whether he’d resign or not. Those were my thoughts at the time of the trade. And to be honest we didn’t need him. We were better off staying the course. But of course they needed a superstar to market to their new city. Everything else was secondary.
shakendfries
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,063

The 8th anniversary of the Deron Williams trade  

Post#45 » by shakendfries » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 pm

The dwill era was a different level of stupid, not because we traded for the bum, but because the FO put overwhelming faith in the judgement and temperament of an end of the bench all star. There is no comparison between signing dwill and Kawhi. Signing borderline all star dwill would be more like giving Butler a max and acquiescing to every time he butted heads or had a complaint. Like KAT said, Butler ain’t Kobe and dwill wasn’t real either.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
ImageImage

"Kevin Durant is not coming to the Nets. If I'm wrong, I will change my avatar to anything you request no matter how humiliating it is." - MrDollarBills, 10/22/18
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,847

Post#46 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:00 pm

Williams showed his ass from the moment he got to New Jersey tbh. Dude was pouting like a child all the time.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
JoseRizal
General Manager
And1: 2,233

Post#47 » by JoseRizal » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 pm

F@ck D’Wont!