ImageImageImageImageImage

With the 17th Pick the nets take... Deandre Hunter

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Re: With the 17th Pick the nets take... Deandre Hunter 

Post#61 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:34 pm

SpeedyG wrote:The "solution" for our rebounding problems isn't a rookie...its Allen (and Rodi) getting stronger. Kenny isn't playing Allen plus a bruiser at the 4.

He hasn't done so in the three years he's been here, and I doubt it will change him. Every time we have went against a big team, he further digs in the sand and plays EVEN smaller.

Though hopefully this series wakes his ass up.

THIS what were seeing here is one of my problems in analytics, and one that the pro-analytics keep ignoring.

See, playing small and playing three ball is fine in the regular season.

You shoot 30% from the field for 2 games, you find your rhythm and shoot 42 plus next 6, great.

I looked it up awhile back and we shot under 33% 20 something times this season. Well, the other 50 something time we shot over 40 normalizes that so you look at the season and you're like...ok..shot high 30s as a team. Point value analysis says good trade off.

But in the playoffs? You go cold turkey for 2 games and you're done. Especially if you are overly reliant on it.

This is what were seeing now.

Analytics is great over a course of a season.

But every game, every possession counts in the playoffs.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app

I agree. I think Sean Marks has to be the one to reinforce balance into how we approach the game and also reshape the roster to give us some versatility in terms of analytics and traditional basketball. we're seeing right now in real time what we lack, and that is size. This has to change.

I think Julius Randle or Bobby Portis should absolutely be approached about joining this team in July. I also think we should use the draft to get some more frontcourt depth. We cannot continue to play small and hope to ever compete. Philly, Boston, and Toronto all have considerable size advantages over us.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,568
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#62 » by LloydFree » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:22 am

De'Andre Hunter is overrated and will be over-drafted. The Nets may luck out and have Nassir Little fall to them, and fall into the better player. People get too caught up in college 3pt% when projecting talent.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,310

Post#63 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:25 am

LloydFree wrote:De'Andre Hunter is overrated and will be over-drafted. The Nets may luck out and have Nassir Little fall to them, and fall into the better player. People get too caught up in college 3pt% when projecting talent.
Little looks like an athlete playing basketball. He has terrific lift and explosion on his pull up, which is the main thing that tantalize me about his potential.

The profile for those type of players translating in the pros have not been favorable

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
LloydFree
RealGM

Post#64 » by LloydFree » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:30 am

SpeedyG wrote:
LloydFree wrote:De'Andre Hunter is overrated and will be over-drafted. The Nets may luck out and have Nassir Little fall to them, and fall into the better player. People get too caught up in college 3pt% when projecting talent.
Little looks like an athlete playing basketball. He has terrific lift and explosion on his pull up, which is the main thing that tantalize me about his potential.

The profile for those type of players translating in the pros have not been favorable

That's what they said about Kawhi Leonard when he declared.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#65 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:40 am

LloydFree wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:

Sure, if you want to name the one or two player profile who bucked the trend...

LloydFree
RealGM

Post#66 » by LloydFree » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:38 am

SpeedyG wrote:
LloydFree wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Little looks like an athlete playing basketball. He has terrific lift and explosion on his pull up, which is the main thing that tantalize me about his potential.

One or two?

Outside of the top 5 picks in any draft, the best bet to get a high upside "steal" in a draft is to take the player with unfinished skills, that is a superior athlete, who has great body control and long arms.

The nonsense so-called negative evaluation, "looks like an athlete playing basketball" was said (just off the top of my head) about all of the following players:

Kawhi Leonard
Russell Westbrook
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Donovan Mitchell
Jaylen Brown
Zach Lavine
Paskal Siakam
Jeremi Grant

If it's distasteful to get prospects that can immediately physically dominate other NBA athletes while they learn, then take some "Basketball players" like Grant Williams, Ty Jerome or Cameron Johnson, and see how that turns out.
SpeedyG
RealGM

Post#67 » by SpeedyG » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:08 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
LloydFree wrote:That's what they said about Kawhi Leonard when he declared.

One or two?

Outside of the top 5 picks in any draft, the best bet to get a high upside "steal" in a draft is to take the player with unfinished skills, that is a superior athlete, who has great body control and long arms.

The nonsense so-called negative evaluation, "looks like an athlete playing basketball" was said (just off the top of my head) about all of the following players:

Kawhi Leonard
Russell Westbrook
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Donovan Mitchell
Jaylen Brown
Zach Lavine
Paskal Siakam
Jeremi Grant

If it's distasteful to get prospects that can immediately physically dominate other NBA athletes while they learn, then take some "Basketball players" like Grant Williams, Ty Jerome or Cameron Johnson, and see how that turns out.

That's not the profile I'm talking about. Those guys you mentioned are elite athletes lacking skill development.

Little is an athlete lacking some skill (which isn't a big issue since that can be developed) but also lacking feel.

Giannis, Westbrook, Mitchell...those guys looked like players while also being great athletes. Even Lavine shows a great feel (albeit lacking on defense)

I don't know what Pascal or Grant looked like in college so I can't speak to them.

But Jaylen is often a comparison for Little.

Little looks unsure what to do on the court. It's hard to quantify "feel" for the game, so I'm not going to debate if you feel he's got that.

And to clarify, I'm not completely oppose to taking Little. I just am not as high as others are on him. And I definitely take Hunter over him if both are there.

I also think that while Little is a great athlete, I don't think he's a freak athlete that he will physically dominate from day 1 despite other things he lacks.

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Post#68 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:12 pm

Wasn't Giannis looked at as a big time project coming into that draft?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#69 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:The "solution" for our rebounding problems isn't a rookie...its Allen (and Rodi) getting stronger. Kenny isn't playing Allen plus a bruiser at the 4.

He hasn't done so in the three years he's been here, and I doubt it will change him. Every time we have went against a big team, he further digs in the sand and plays EVEN smaller.

Though hopefully this series wakes his ass up.

THIS what were seeing here is one of my problems in analytics, and one that the pro-analytics keep ignoring.

See, playing small and playing three ball is fine in the regular season.

You shoot 30% from the field for 2 games, you find your rhythm and shoot 42 plus next 6, great.

I looked it up awhile back and we shot under 33% 20 something times this season. Well, the other 50 something time we shot over 40 normalizes that so you look at the season and you're like...ok..shot high 30s as a team. Point value analysis says good trade off.

But in the playoffs? You go cold turkey for 2 games and you're done. Especially if you are overly reliant on it.

This is what were seeing now.

Analytics is great over a course of a season.

But every game, every possession counts in the playoffs.

I agree. I think Sean Marks has to be the one to reinforce balance into how we approach the game and also reshape the roster to give us some versatility in terms of analytics and traditional basketball. we're seeing right now in real time what we lack, and that is size. This has to change.

I think Julius Randle or Bobby Portis should absolutely be approached about joining this team in July. I also think we should use the draft to get some more frontcourt depth. We cannot continue to play small and hope to ever compete. Philly, Boston, and Toronto all have considerable size advantages over us.

you can say the same thing about a non-analytics approach though. regardless of what yu subscribe too if your shots dont fall in and your less talented its not going to go well for you.

If we went big we would be in the same spot. we are 1 blown call from being 2-2 with a team 10 times more talented then us.

we went 42-40 with a team that is not top 16 in talent.

analytics approach has been a massive success
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#70 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:06 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:

No, they didnt
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#71 » by Prokorov » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:07 pm

LloydFree wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
LloydFree wrote:That's what they said about Kawhi Leonard when he declared.

One or two?

Kawhi Leonard
Russell Westbrook
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Donovan Mitchell
Jaylen Brown
Zach Lavine
Paskal Siakam
Jeremi Grant

For every Giannis there is a cabocollo, darius miles, thomas robinson, etc...

Return to Brooklyn Nets