ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Blazers 3/25/19

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: GT: Nets @ Blazers 3/25/19 

Post#321 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:You have to make FTs, you cannot make critical turnovers in crunch time, and you cannot make silly fouls, and you cannot make boneheaded plays during clock management possessions when you're down. Multiple players were guilty of this last night which led to a loss.

The Nets deserved to lose that game regardless of the refs. they also showed a clear lack of poise following the resume in play after the Nurkic injury whereas the veteran Blazers were composed and locked in. This is the difference between a young team starting to figure out how to win games and a veteran team that already knows how.

the team is fatigued... mentally and physically. id give some of the keys guys a night off
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#322 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:You have to make FTs, you cannot make critical turnovers in crunch time, and you cannot make silly fouls, and you cannot make boneheaded plays during clock management possessions when you're down. Multiple players were guilty of this last night which led to a loss.

The Nets deserved to lose that game regardless of the refs. they also showed a clear lack of poise following the resume in play after the Nurkic injury whereas the veteran Blazers were composed and locked in. This is the difference between a young team starting to figure out how to win games and a veteran team that already knows how.

the team is fatigued... mentally and physically. id give some of the keys guys a night off

Every team in the league is fatigued right now. We have younger legs than most. Time for these guys to grit it out.

Had they not dicked around and pissed away multiple wins during the course of the season, including this last game, they could be already in a position to rest players.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#323 » by MGrand15 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:56 pm

The time to rest guys was during the Jazz-Clipper B2B. Too late for that now. Only see that happening if we lock up seeding somehow by the last game or 2.

For all the guys that need rest - Russell, Harris, Allen, etc. - these are the biggest games of their lives. We're basically in playoff mode now so we're not gonna force them to sit out.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#324 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Every team in the league is fatigued right now. We have younger legs than most. Time for these guys to grit it out.

Had they not dicked around and pissed away multiple wins during the course of the season, including this last game, they could be already in a position to rest players.

I take issue with alot of this...

First, i dont think that "young legs" are an advantage. Kurucs played 59 minutes last year. he has already playes 1061 minutes this year... vs bigger stronger guys on a higher level. Russell has also played 1000 more minutes then last year, in bigger games, while having to carry the team. due to injuries levert has never played these kinds of minutes. dinwiddie is at a career high in minutes. Allen has 500 more minutes then last year.

these guys are hitting "rookie wall" type situations. vets and guys in their prime are more equipped, conditioned to play into april.

second... "pissed away wins" really does a disservice to this team... on the road in portland on a long road trip and we were right there at the end with a chance to win and then went 2 ovetimes... you say they need to "grit it out"... well to me taking protland to double OT on the road is nothing less then gritting it out.

I believe your expectations are really out of whack if you expect a team full of 22 and 24 year olds to not piss away some games, to be fresh this time of year, and to "grit out" wins vs top 4 teams in respective conferences, om the road.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#325 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I take issue with alot of this...

First, i dont think that "young legs" are an advantage. Kurucs played 59 minutes last year. he has already playes 1061 minutes this year... vs bigger stronger guys on a higher level. Russell has also played 1000 more minutes then last year, in bigger games, while having to carry the team. due to injuries levert has never played these kinds of minutes. dinwiddie is at a career high in minutes. Allen has 500 more minutes then last year.

these guys are hitting "rookie wall" type situations. vets and guys in their prime are more equipped, conditioned to play into april.

second... "pissed away wins" really does a disservice to this team... on the road in portland on a long road trip and we were right there at the end with a chance to win and then went 2 ovetimes... you say they need to "grit it out"... well to me taking protland to double OT on the road is nothing less then gritting it out.

I believe your expectations are really out of whack if you expect a team full of 22 and 24 year olds to not piss away some games, to be fresh this time of year, and to "grit out" wins vs top 4 teams in respective conferences, om the road.

ASKING them to win 3 out of 7 games is out of whack expectations????

This team has exceeded expectations. There is no reason why the bar should still be on the floor with this group. Handle business versus Indiana and Miami, and take one of these game versus the top 4. The other teams in this playoff race are not using excuses. Orlando is handling their business right now. The Nets have no reason not to conduct themselves in a similar manner.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#326 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:44 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:ASKING them to win 3 out of 7 games is out of whack expectations????

This team has exceeded expectations. There is no reason why the bar should still be on the floor with this group. Handle business versus Indiana and Miami, and take one of these game versus the top 4. The other teams in this playoff race are not using excuses. Orlando is handling their business right now. The Nets have no reason not to conduct themselves in a similar manner.

asking them to go 3-4 vs. 6 teams who are all better, and 1 vs. a team also playing for its playoff life is definitely out of whack expectations... ESPECIALLY when you factor in these guys are all completely out of gas and have never come close to playing this many meaningful minutes and some never playing a full college season let alone a full NBA one.

There is no need to force this team into failure by saying they need to make the playoffs to be successful when they have blown every single goal they had this season out of the water.

that would be like me asking you to climb mt everest then when you do it asking you to carry 5 people back down on your back and if you dont you failed at climbing the mountain.

this nets season has been a MASSIVE success even if they miss the playoffs. putting a new goal of the playoffs on them with less then 10 games to go is a disrespectful slap in the face to everything these guys have busted their butts for all year.

everyone should be thanking their lucky stars this group of guys are such high charecter hard workers that gave us a competitive season... not talking some nonsense about "grit". this nets team has more grit then anyone
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#327 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:33 pm

Prok if you think that missing the playoffs after all of this won't not only leave a bad taste in the mouth of the players, coaches, and ownership as well as look bad optics wise on the national level, you are kidding yourself. The Nets can't blow this chance after they busted their asses all season long to get to this point.

Winning matters. Making the playoffs matters. You want free agents to take us seriously, don't you?

Everything changed for the Nets this season because of winning games. All of a sudden we're getting national coverage on a level we haven't seen in god knows how long. making the playoffs absolutely matters at this point.

The Nets should absolutely not settle for less and not use any of the excuses you are giving them. I'm not asking them to get to the east finals, I'm asking them to win 3 games.

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#328 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:25 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Prok if you think that missing the playoffs after all of this won't not only leave a bad taste in the mouth of the players, coaches, and ownership as well as look bad optics wise on the national level, you are kidding yourself. The Nets can't blow this chance after they busted their asses all season long to get to this point.

I strongly disagree... im not saying your wrong because its subjective, but i dont think we will find common ground on this one.

Winning matters. Making the playoffs matters. You want free agents to take us seriously, don't you?

i dont think it matters if we make it or miss it. i think players notice were we are. maybe winning 1-2 rounds would do wonders, but i dont think we'd get out of the first round.

Everything changed for the Nets this season because of winning games. All of a sudden we're getting national coverage on a level we haven't seen in god knows how long. making the playoffs absolutely matters at this point.

right and that doenst get undone if we fall short. we will be viewed as one of the young up and coming teams either way

The Nets should absolutely not settle for less and not use any of the excuses you are giving them. I'm not asking them to get to the east finals, I'm asking them to win 3 games.

its not settling... its the reality. these guys have never played this many games/minutes and in this high impact this late. they are also playing 6 better teams in the 7 games.

it isnt an "excuse" when you lose to a better team when you are running on empty

Return to Brooklyn Nets