ImageImageImageImageImage

Should the Nets begin a ring of honor?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,845

Should the Nets begin a ring of honor? 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm not sure if we have one, but we have several players who have come through here who may not warrant jersey retirement, but they definitely should be honored by this franchise as a nod to the past.

Vince Carter (his jersey should be retired, he was one of the greatest players in this franchise's history)
Richard Jefferson
Kerry Kittles
Sam Cassel
Michael Ray Richardson
Keith Van Horn
Kenyon Martin
Kenny Anderson
Chuck Daly

Those are just some names off of the top of my head who I would put there. What about you???
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,242

Re: Should the Nets begin a ring of honor? 

Post#2 » by Papi_swav » Tue Apr 9, 2019 3:20 pm

I think only Vince, we do need some names up there tho it looks pretty empty up there. The other guys didn't play great long enough
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 9, 2019 5:32 pm

We have already retired a bunch of Jerseys.... Buck, Doc, Super John, Petro, Kidd.

I dont think we need a ring of honor. Just add jerseys to the rafters when warranted. if we give every an favorite a spot in the ring they will need to build more levels to barclays.

Chuck Daly was here for like 2 years and bailed the second things got tough. Kenny was awesome but dont think id honor him that way. Kenyon wanst here long enoug. and i wouldnt give that to RJ or Kittles just cause of 2 trips to the finals. Cassell and Calapari gave us a great season but it was just 1 season.

Vince should get the nod. maybe birdsong if you wanted to get more names up there

problem is most of the guys who were great only spent a short time here. and those who had success with kidd werent that great.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2019 6:39 pm

So I guess we all agree on Vince's number being retired.

Brook Lopez should probably get some recognition years from now even though he played during a time when things were really nasty and bitter surrounding this franchise.

That's the thing about the Nets...no one stays here long enough, or some of them are just straight up scumbags. Even Armon Gilliam (rest his soul) was only here for like 3 years.

This is why it feels good to have a team of guys who we have here at such a young age, maybe they can grow to be long time players of the franchise.

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#5 » by Prokorov » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:00 pm

Brook Lopez doesnt deserve to have his jersey retired or anything like that. sure he is the nets all-time leading scorer, but that doesnt say much considering the nets have the lowest total (10,444 points) of any franchises all time leading scorer.

its really that lopez played 9 seasons for the nets, and no one else decent played more then 5.

Lopez is only 15th all time on the nets for points per game...

Barry, irving, carter, marbury, King, Coleman, Cassell, among others averaged more per game.
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#6 » by Mosdefinition » Tue Apr 9, 2019 7:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I'm not sure if we have one, but we have several players who have come through here who may not warrant jersey retirement, but they definitely should be honored by this franchise as a nod to the past.

Vince Carter (his jersey should be retired, he was one of the greatest players in this franchise's history)
Richard Jefferson
Kerry Kittles
Sam Cassel
Michael Ray Richardson
Keith Van Horn
Kenyon Martin
Kenny Anderson
Chuck Daly

Those are just some names off of the top of my head who I would put there. What about you???

You might as well put Byron Scott in there if youre putting Daly. Scott's the most successful coach in NJ franchise history
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:Brook Lopez doesnt deserve to have his jersey retired or anything like that. sure he is the nets all-time leading scorer, but that doesnt say much considering the nets have the lowest total (10,444 points) of any franchises all time leading scorer.

its really that lopez played 9 seasons for the nets, and no one else decent played more then 5.

Lopez is only 15th all time on the nets for points per game...

Barry, irving, carter, marbury, King, Coleman, Cassell, among others averaged more per game.

Brook Lopez is indisputably one of the best players to ever wear a Nets jersey. He should absolutely be embraced by this franchise when his playing career ends.

Does that mean retiring his jersey? No. That's reserved for hall of fame level talent, like Vince. But he should definitely be recognized in some shape or form.

The Nets don't have much to proud of historically, but I think Brook is definitely someone who should not be shunned because he played here during a time where the team was mismanaged from the top down and there were some grade A pieces of trash on this roster.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#8 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Apr 9, 2019 9:20 pm

Mosdefinition wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I'm not sure if we have one, but we have several players who have come through here who may not warrant jersey retirement, but they definitely should be honored by this franchise as a nod to the past.

Richard Jefferson
Kerry Kittles
Sam Cassel
Michael Ray Richardson
Keith Van Horn
Kenyon Martin
Kenny Anderson
Chuck Daly

You might as well put Byron Scott in there if youre putting Daly. Scott's the most successful coach in NJ franchise history

man **** Byron Scott

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#9 » by NetsJets » Tue Apr 9, 2019 11:00 pm

Vince, RJ and Lopez should get their jerseys retired.
-soul fist-
Junior
And1: 96

Post#10 » by -soul fist- » Tue Apr 9, 2019 11:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:We have already retired a bunch of Jerseys.... Buck, Doc, Super John, Petro, Kidd.

Johan Petro was a great player, but I didn't think he was worthy of getting his jersey # retired.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,797

Post#11 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 am

-soul fist- wrote:
Prokorov wrote:We have already retired a bunch of Jerseys.... Buck, Doc, Super John, Petro, Kidd.

Johan Petro was a great player, but I didn't think he was worthy of getting his jersey # retired.

Return to Brooklyn Nets