ImageImageImageImageImage

NBA Playoffs Rd 1 Game 5: Nets @ Sixers 8:00pm

Moderators: NyCeEvO, jerseyjac, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 9,906

Re: NBA Playoffs Rd 1 Game 5: Nets @ Sixers 8:00pm 

Post#241 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 pm

SpeedyG wrote:That's fine but you can't stay with the same expectations. They may have thought we were ahead of schedule and didn't expect us to be in playoffs until 2 years from now but here we are...

of course you do. you stay the course and stick to the plan... and the plan is to build something sustainable over 10-15+ years, not some win now agenda, regardless of how quickly we made the playoffs

The bill are coming due in the form of Russell's deal this off season and Caris next.

Irrelevant. we have max room even giving russell the max. we have tons of money to spend. they wont waste it on size they will use it on a small board PF who is an all-star/all-star calibur player to upgrade from dudley/RHJ/Carroll.

We can't come back next season and win 42 games, have same negatives and be like "well...thats fine, were still ahead 1 year"

of course we can. this isnt a knee-jerk billy king win now at all costs era. Marks is trying to build something long term

No, we're ahead of projection this season.

exactly, if things are going well and your plan has yielded great results you dont stray from what has worked so well

This is like the Wolves. They made the playoffs last season, lock up their core.

And this season, they were a relative mess in a tough west.

Yet, universally their season is viewed as a disappointment.

our situation couldnt be less like the wolves.... whose coach and GM are on 2 different pages... one wants to win now the ohter build slow... they spent big money on butler to win now only to have to trade him. their young guys dont work hard and the cultrue their is awful. does that sound like the nets to you?

This team can't step back next season and it be viewed as natural progression simply because two years ago they thought we were three years away.

of course they can. we are a team of 20-25 year olds, there is no rush. at least not for the smart people in charge
Kswiss wrote:Go watch a D'Angelo Russell highlight tape and tell me with a straight face the kid looks like a NBA prospect. I just can't see him in the league in three years.

Timestamp: July 21, 2017
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,191

Post#242 » by SpeedyG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:That's fine but you can't stay with the same expectations. They may have thought we were ahead of schedule and didn't expect us to be in playoffs until 2 years from now but here we are...

of course you do. you stay the course and stick to the plan... and the plan is to build something sustainable over 10-15+ years, not some win now agenda, regardless of how quickly we made the playoffs

The bill are coming due in the form of Russell's deal this off season and Caris next.

Irrelevant. we have max room even giving russell the max. we have tons of money to spend. they wont waste it on size they will use it on a small board PF who is an all-star/all-star calibur player to upgrade from dudley/RHJ/Carroll.

We can't come back next season and win 42 games, have same negatives and be like "well...thats fine, were still ahead 1 year"

of course we can. this isnt a knee-jerk billy king win now at all costs era. Marks is trying to build something long term

exactly, if things are going well and your plan has yielded great results you dont stray from what has worked so well

This is like the Wolves. They made the playoffs last season, lock up their core.

our situation couldnt be less like the wolves.... whose coach and GM are on 2 different pages... one wants to win now the ohter build slow... they spent big money on butler to win now only to have to trade him. their young guys dont work hard and the cultrue their is awful. does that sound like the nets to you?

This team can't step back next season and it be viewed as natural progression simply because two years ago they thought we were three years away.

of course they can. we are a team of 20-25 year olds, there is no rush. at least not for the smart people in charge
You can say all of that but this team would be universally viewed as a disappointment if we don't make the playoffs next season (barring some cataclysmic injury scenario).

NBA is year to year. You don't put down a 5 year plan and cement it expecting never to change it.

I think Sean and Kenny have done a great job that losing out on FA this off season doesn't blow up our plans, but make no mistake. Expectations are being raised.

That's what winning does.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#243 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:38 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

You can say all of that but this team would be universally viewed as a disappointment if we don't make the playoffs next season (barring some cataclysmic injury scenario).

NBA is year to year. You don't put down a 5 year plan and cement it expecting never to change it.

I think Sean and Kenny have done a great job that losing out on FA this off season doesn't blow up our plans, but make no mistake. Expectations are being raised.

of course it would not be seen as a disappointment. that is abusurd. only highly emotional fans who nee dinstant gratification who subscribe to the billy king era would view it as a disappoinment

if something is working at an elite level, you dont change it and do something 100% outside your philosiphy. you stick with the plan thats been working at an elite level
Kswiss wrote:Go watch a D'Angelo Russell highlight tape and tell me with a straight face the kid looks like a NBA prospect. I just can't see him in the league in three years.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 8,816

Post#244 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 pm

Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
Prokorov wrote:of course you do. you stay the course and stick to the plan... and the plan is to build something sustainable over 10-15+ years, not some win now agenda, regardless of how quickly we made the playoffs

of course it would not be seen as a disappointment. that is abusurd. only highly emotional fans who nee dinstant gratification who subscribe to the billy king era would view it as a disappoinment

if something is working at an elite level, you dont change it and do something 100% outside your philosiphy. you stick with the plan thats been working at an elite level

Wait, you wouldn't be disappointed if this team doesn't make the playoffs next season? I would.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#245 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:24 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:You can say all of that but this team would be universally viewed as a disappointment if we don't make the playoffs next season (barring some cataclysmic injury scenario).

Wait, you wouldn't be disappointed if this team doesn't make the playoffs next season? I would.

Not unless someone had a devestating career altering injury. if we went say 30-52 id be fine with it as long as we stuck with the plan. continues year over year growth is great but i dont mind a minor setback. im looking at this like marks, as a 10-15 year outook

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 8,816

Post#246 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Not unless someone had a devestating career altering injury. if we went say 30-52 id be fine with it as long as we stuck with the plan. continues year over year growth is great but i dont mind a minor setback. im looking at this like marks, as a 10-15 year outook

30 wins is a -12 year over year. That's not exactly that minor a setback, especially when we've been raving about the +14 this season.
SpeedyG
RealGM
And1: 1,191

Post#247 » by SpeedyG » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:45 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

30 wins is a -12 year over year. That's not exactly that minor a setback, especially when we've been raving about the +14 this season.
It's not even the W/L numbers.

Without significant injuries, this team only getting 30 wins means Russell, Caris, Spencer, Allen (any combination of them) had bad years...and that's not what you want when you're developing a young core.

It would even be worse if it was Russell who had the done year, after getting his extension.

Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09

Return to Brooklyn Nets