Official 2019 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,480

Official 2019 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread 

Post#1 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:57 am

well, might as well not waste any time.

42 wins was a remarkable achievement. Now its time to improve on this roster.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Re: Official 2019 Brooklyn Nets Offseason Thread 

Post#2 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:10 am

Not even the most delusional among us thought the Nets would actually make the playoffs. There was definitely talk of tanking and getting a top 3 pick, especially after our 8-18 start.

The fact that we made it as a 6th seed is truly remarkable. That can't be understated and needs to be celebrated. So many amazing things happened for this team and it's been the most I've enjoyable/heart attack inducing season I've had as a Nets fan.We are probably a year ahead of our schedule.

Everyone from the GM down to our assistant coaches should feel proud about this season.

That said we cannot afford to waste this year of development and culture building. Philly exposed the flaws as a team and as individual players. Take this loss on the chin and use it as motivation to take the next step.

This is going to be a critical offseason for the team's future and will dictate where we'll be 2-3 yrs from now.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,535

Post#3 » by Rich Rane » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 am

3pt_chucker wrote:The fact that we made it as a 6th seed is truly remarkable.

See, that's why I wanted to win the last game of the season. It just looks better. :lol:
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001

Post#4 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:16 am

Rich Rane wrote:
3pt_chucker wrote:The fact that we made it as a 6th seed is truly remarkable.

See, that's why I wanted to win the last game of the season. It just looks better. :lol:

:lol: So true. Sounds much better than 7th seed.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#5 » by MGrand15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:46 am

Well, I don't think you can overreact to one or two regular season game but a playoff series gives you a nice sample size of who should be untouchable or not. Philly, Toronto, and Boston aren't going away even if they lose all their FAs. If guys can't handle length and physicality in the post season, we can't be afraid to move them if necessary.

We're still a young team but we're basically capped out after this off-season. It should be interesting to decide what direction Marks thinks the team should move in. Is the plan to compete in 4-5 years? Or 1-2?
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:47 am

I dont think we need to change much... bring the whole squad back + a max guy... either Kawhi or stop gap like milsap.

add 3 rookies or move up. either way we will be much more talented next year with the highest draft pick under marks another huge development offseason for kenny and his guys and maybe a big free agent
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,557

Post#7 » by DarkXaero » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 am

MGrand15 wrote:Well, I don't think you can overreact to one or two regular season game but a playoff series gives you a nice sample size of who should be untouchable or not. Philly, Toronto, and Boston aren't going away even if they lose all their FAs. If guys can't handle length and physicality in the post season, we can't be afraid to move them if necessary.

We're still a young team but we're basically capped out after this off-season. It should be interesting to decide what direction Marks thinks the team should move in. Is the plan to compete in 4-5 years? Or 1-2?
Agree with most of this. Obviously, I'm immensely proud of the team for the regular season that they had against all expectations. And normally, I wouldn't be worried but the fact is that we do have to make huge decisions this offseason. We have to make the most usage out of the cap space that we have, while we can. Because that is a short window in the NBA and once it closes, it can become very difficult to gain cap flexibility. And we need to consider the likelihood of us not getting any max stars, and other teams in the East getting stronger. Assuming that we are unable to get any max stars, what is the best way to spend our cap?
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,196

Post#8 » by Papi_swav » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:15 am

Max star or stop gap. No more giving these role players big contracts.
FrenchNBAFan
Junior
And1: 95

Post#9 » by FrenchNBAFan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:16 am

Julius Randle boyz here
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:17 am

We need size....

We need actual shooters if we're going to run this gimmick offense.

This is not the way I wanted to see the NETs go out. It was embarrassing and not an indictment of their season. I posted that their white jerseys were symbolic to waving the white flag after how they started....

Congrats to them and the coaches, won't hide that I am bummed that we aren't drafting in the top 5 in our first yr with our own pick but playoffs are playoffs(and typical luck in our history).

Hope each player works on their flaws with passion and reason this offseason and come back stronger.

I'll add it here
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,480

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:33 am

I don't think the offense is gimmicky at all, I think it pretty much hid this team's flaws for most of the year. That makes it a good system, we just need to add size to it and hopefully a marquee free agent that can really thrive in it.

I don't expect too much turnover since Russell, LeVert, Dinwiddie, Allen, Kurucs, Harris and Musa are most likely locked in. I think Ed Davis should be retained. after that, your guess is good as mine.

I would not mind Jared Dudley returning on a vet minimum contract.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#12 » by MGrand15 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:05 am

Our defense is gimmicky and junk but our offense is great. When you have a team switching everything like Philly, you need 1v1 players to attack. LeVert is the only one that showed up. We're supposed to have 3. Nothing the coaches can do about that.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#13 » by Prokorov » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:11 am

MGrand15 wrote:Our defense is gimmicky and junk but our offense is great. When you have a team switching everything like Philly, you need 1v1 players to attack. LeVert is the only one that showed up. We're supposed to have 3. Nothing the coaches can do about that.

we lack defenders too... dinwiddie/levert/harris gave their all but at the end of the day those guys are poor on that end. Russell shook his rep a bit but he is still averagish is. Carroll/Graham/RHJ/Dudley are solid defensively but Allen and kurucs have some growth yet to go.

I think we are ok, rockets model of outscore them. if allen bulks up and we add someone like hunger we will be ok. Levert has all the tools and size and work to be a good defender, i think he becomes that. harris can get by
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#14 » by gigantes » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:20 am

Papi_swav wrote:Max star or stop gap. No more giving these role players big contracts.

Jesus, you're good at being an annoying f-cking poster.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,196

Post#15 » by Papi_swav » Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:57 am

gigantes wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Max star or stop gap. No more giving these role players big contracts.

Jesus, you're good at being an annoying f-cking poster.

:lol: :lol: wtf ? what did I ever say wrong ?
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 639

Post#16 » by NetsJets » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:27 am

We definitely need size. Hopefully that gets addressed in free agency. Hoping Musa can fill Allan Crabbe’s role, Kurucs to take another step up and Allen adding some muscle and some improvement in his game.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,431

Post#17 » by Stone » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:44 am

Prokorov wrote:I dont think we need to change much... bring the whole squad back + a max guy... either Kawhi or stop gap like milsap.

add 3 rookies or move up. either way we will be much more talented next year with the highest draft pick under marks another huge development offseason for kenny and his guys and maybe a big free agent

Pretty much my thoughts as well.......

I would add that I would not want to see us overpay someone....for example Tobias Harris to a max.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,869

Post#18 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:50 pm

Im all in on on Durant. With Durant we are immediate title contenders. He is the best player in the NBA. He fits in our system well. Him, Russell and Levert would be an epic trio. Probably the best team in the East next year.

If KD want to be in NY and actually have a chance of winning a title with a good front office he needs to come here.

If we can't get Durant or Kawhi, then I don't want a max FA. No Jimmy Butler or Tobias Harris.

I'd rather wait till next year and go after Davis.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,869

Post#19 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:52 pm

I don't want to overpay anyone either but we desperately need some bigs. Bring back Davis and look for a veteran PF. And maybe draft another C too. We can't get abused in the playoffs again cause we having nobody.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,557

Post#20 » by DarkXaero » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:04 pm

As much as I've loved Ed Davis here, we might be better off signing someone like Dewayne Dedmon. He's a legit 7'0 center who can rebound well, play defense, and can stretch the floor.

Return to Brooklyn Nets