ImageImageImageImageImage

2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide

Moderators: NyCeEvO, jerseyjac, Rich Rane

User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#1 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 2, 2019 12:50 am

As a handy reference sheet for anyone wishing to project the Nets off-season, I have created the image below of our cap situation. Figures were obtained from Spotrac, and also credit to DeRoma for the max salary figures for FA

Image

*Updated after Crabbe +17th pick traded for Taurean Prince

Last two rows is a comparison of what the Nets can offer Russell as a MAX player, and what other teams can offer him

This is very tight, but I think taking a stash at the 27th pick gets us very very close to the rumored Kyrie + KD signing after renouncing Russell that I don't think it will be necessary to even facilitate a Dinwiddie or Harris deal (or even cutting/trading Musa)

Below is what it will look like if we renounce Russell, stash the 27th pick to sign Kyrie and KD (note: we are short roughly 300k)

Image
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 28,703
And1: 9,926
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#2 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 2, 2019 8:57 am

This is kind of rough, but I didn't have much high hopes for anything in free agency. Hopefully Durant gives us a meeting though.
"Mother____er, get me two fingers of Southern Comfort"
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#3 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 2, 2019 10:32 am

MrDollarBills wrote:This is kind of rough, but I didn't have much high hopes for anything in free agency. Hopefully Durant gives us a meeting though.
Why is that? I actually think it's a good situation. Worst case scenario, we stretch Crabbe and say trade or stash Denver pick. That gives us just enough to bring Durant in. Best case we trade Crabbe with Denver pick (opening more space for depth signing)

PG- Russell, Spencer
SG- Caris, Musa
SF- Harris
PF- KD, Kurucs
C-Allen, Davis

17th Pick and Knicks 2nd round pick as possible backups at some positions. Room for vet min and an exception.

Given versatility and philosophy of Kenny, a lot of these guys can play 1 or 2, 2 or 3, and 3 or 4 (with a couple who can do 2 to 4 if injuries really push us)



Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 28,703
And1: 9,926
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu May 2, 2019 3:02 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This is kind of rough, but I didn't have much high hopes for anything in free agency. Hopefully Durant gives us a meeting though.
Why is that? I actually think it's a good situation. Worst case scenario, we stretch Crabbe and say trade or stash Denver pick. That gives us just enough to bring Durant in. Best case we trade Crabbe with Denver pick (opening more space for depth signing)

PG- Russell, Spencer
SG- Caris, Musa
SF- Harris
PF- KD, Kurucs
C-Allen, Davis

17th Pick and Knicks 2nd round pick as possible backups at some positions. Room for vet min and an exception.

Given versatility and philosophy of Kenny, a lot of these guys can play 1 or 2, 2 or 3, and 3 or 4 (with a couple who can do 2 to 4 if injuries really push us)



Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


We won't have much room for additional frontcourt help.
"Mother____er, get me two fingers of Southern Comfort"
Papi_swav
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,942
And1: 1,572
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#5 » by Papi_swav » Thu May 2, 2019 3:30 pm

I have a question, can we denounce Russell's cap hold in the middle of the off season? Let's say 2 max stars give us a verbal agreement, can we renounce Russell and tell him we will re-sign him but we have to sign 2 max guys first? Or is there a deadline for that? Taking out Russell's cap hold and Crabbe deal will free up like 39 million which will give us like 64M in cap space, that is more then enough to sign to max guys but they might have to take a little pay cut.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 32,427
And1: 9,906
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Thu May 2, 2019 3:31 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:This is kind of rough, but I didn't have much high hopes for anything in free agency. Hopefully Durant gives us a meeting though.
Why is that? I actually think it's a good situation. Worst case scenario, we stretch Crabbe and say trade or stash Denver pick. That gives us just enough to bring Durant in. Best case we trade Crabbe with Denver pick (opening more space for depth signing)

PG- Russell, Spencer
SG- Caris, Musa
SF- Harris
PF- KD, Kurucs
C-Allen, Davis

17th Pick and Knicks 2nd round pick as possible backups at some positions. Room for vet min and an exception.

Given versatility and philosophy of Kenny, a lot of these guys can play 1 or 2, 2 or 3, and 3 or 4 (with a couple who can do 2 to 4 if injuries really push us)



Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


We won't have much room for additional frontcourt help.


KD isnt enough front court help?!?!
Kswiss wrote:Go watch a D'Angelo Russell highlight tape and tell me with a straight face the kid looks like a NBA prospect. I just can't see him in the league in three years.


Timestamp: July 21, 2017
ecuhus1981
RealGM
Posts: 13,434
And1: 162
Joined: Jun 19, 2007
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#7 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu May 2, 2019 6:15 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I have a question, can we denounce Russell's cap hold in the middle of the off season? Let's say 2 max stars give us a verbal agreement, can we renounce Russell and tell him we will re-sign him but we have to sign 2 max guys first? Or is there a deadline for that? Taking out Russell's cap hold and Crabbe deal will free up like 39 million which will give us like 64M in cap space, that is more then enough to sign to max guys but they might have to take a little pay cut.

We can renounce a cap hold in the middle of the offseason, sure. If we did, we would have nothing but the veteran's minimum to offer D'Angelo, so he would leave.

There were many periods this season where I thought our best move would be to trade Russell before this offseason, to maximize our capspace. I no longer hold this opinion. D'Angelo has become the leader of the core, even though a healthy Caris might be the better player. Waiving rights to Russell in order to sign, for example, Kyrie is a step backwards for the organization IMO. I would rather pay a 23yo D'Angelo $27mil/year, than pay a 27yo Irving $33mil per year.

The only two players who I think are worth waiving DAR are Kevin and Kawhi (I said AND, not OR). For the chance to pair those two FA's on our roster, yeah, I'd move Heaven and Earth. Short of that, I'd pick the continuity and youth of Russell over Kemba, Klay, Jimmy, Tobias or anyone else as a 2nd max player. If one of Durant or Leonard said, "I'll sign, BUT only if you waive D'Angelo so that we can sign (insert name here)", I would politely decline.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#8 » by SpeedyG » Thu May 2, 2019 6:55 pm

Papi_swav wrote:I have a question, can we denounce Russell's cap hold in the middle of the off season? Let's say 2 max stars give us a verbal agreement, can we renounce Russell and tell him we will re-sign him but we have to sign 2 max guys first? Or is there a deadline for that? Taking out Russell's cap hold and Crabbe deal will free up like 39 million which will give us like 64M in cap space, that is more then enough to sign to max guys but they might have to take a little pay cut.
Two max guys is possible ONLY if we renounce Russell. We can do that pretty much anytime, but of course we do that and he's pretty much gone (and we lose the ability to pay him more than other teams). He would lose his bird rights as well, which he wouldn't be happy about.

Unless we have a guarantee from Kawhi and KD, Russell isn't going anywhere.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
Papi_swav
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,942
And1: 1,572
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#9 » by Papi_swav » Fri May 3, 2019 12:14 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I have a question, can we denounce Russell's cap hold in the middle of the off season? Let's say 2 max stars give us a verbal agreement, can we renounce Russell and tell him we will re-sign him but we have to sign 2 max guys first? Or is there a deadline for that? Taking out Russell's cap hold and Crabbe deal will free up like 39 million which will give us like 64M in cap space, that is more then enough to sign to max guys but they might have to take a little pay cut.

We can renounce a cap hold in the middle of the offseason, sure. If we did, we would have nothing but the veteran's minimum to offer D'Angelo, so he would leave.

There were many periods this season where I thought our best move would be to trade Russell before this offseason, to maximize our capspace. I no longer hold this opinion. D'Angelo has become the leader of the core, even though a healthy Caris might be the better player. Waiving rights to Russell in order to sign, for example, Kyrie is a step backwards for the organization IMO. I would rather pay a 23yo D'Angelo $27mil/year, than pay a 27yo Irving $33mil per year.

The only two players who I think are worth waiving DAR are Kevin and Kawhi (I said AND, not OR). For the chance to pair those two FA's on our roster, yeah, I'd move Heaven and Earth. Short of that, I'd pick the continuity and youth of Russell over Kemba, Klay, Jimmy, Tobias or anyone else as a 2nd max player. If one of Durant or Leonard said, "I'll sign, BUT only if you waive D'Angelo so that we can sign (insert name here)", I would politely decline.

Oh I see, I forgot we don't have Russell's bird rights. So basically we really only have room for 1 max and another solid signing if we get rid of Crabbe. Unless these stars want to take a pay cut which I highly doubt.
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#10 » by SpeedyG » Fri May 3, 2019 12:30 am

Papi_swav wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I have a question, can we denounce Russell's cap hold in the middle of the off season? Let's say 2 max stars give us a verbal agreement, can we renounce Russell and tell him we will re-sign him but we have to sign 2 max guys first? Or is there a deadline for that? Taking out Russell's cap hold and Crabbe deal will free up like 39 million which will give us like 64M in cap space, that is more then enough to sign to max guys but they might have to take a little pay cut.

We can renounce a cap hold in the middle of the offseason, sure. If we did, we would have nothing but the veteran's minimum to offer D'Angelo, so he would leave.

There were many periods this season where I thought our best move would be to trade Russell before this offseason, to maximize our capspace. I no longer hold this opinion. D'Angelo has become the leader of the core, even though a healthy Caris might be the better player. Waiving rights to Russell in order to sign, for example, Kyrie is a step backwards for the organization IMO. I would rather pay a 23yo D'Angelo $27mil/year, than pay a 27yo Irving $33mil per year.

The only two players who I think are worth waiving DAR are Kevin and Kawhi (I said AND, not OR). For the chance to pair those two FA's on our roster, yeah, I'd move Heaven and Earth. Short of that, I'd pick the continuity and youth of Russell over Kemba, Klay, Jimmy, Tobias or anyone else as a 2nd max player. If one of Durant or Leonard said, "I'll sign, BUT only if you waive D'Angelo so that we can sign (insert name here)", I would politely decline.

Oh I see, I forgot we don't have Russell's bird rights. So basically we really only have room for 1 max and another solid signing if we get rid of Crabbe. Unless these stars want to take a pay cut which I highly doubt.


We actually DO have his bird right, which is why we can max him out after the fact. But for us to have that right, we need to account for his cap hold, which is $21M.

We simply don't have enough space because of his cap hold. With that $21M hold, a Durant Max ($38M), a Kawhi Max (32M), and Deron's $5M dead money, we're already looking at 96M in total salaries, when the salary cap is 109M.

There's a reason why the Heat were able to afford 3 max contracts when they brought in Lebron and Bosh....they absolutely gutted their roster with the exception of 1 or 2 players. And those guys took slightly less than MAX, IIRC
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 28,703
And1: 9,926
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri May 3, 2019 1:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
SpeedyG wrote:Why is that? I actually think it's a good situation. Worst case scenario, we stretch Crabbe and say trade or stash Denver pick. That gives us just enough to bring Durant in. Best case we trade Crabbe with Denver pick (opening more space for depth signing)

PG- Russell, Spencer
SG- Caris, Musa
SF- Harris
PF- KD, Kurucs
C-Allen, Davis

17th Pick and Knicks 2nd round pick as possible backups at some positions. Room for vet min and an exception.

Given versatility and philosophy of Kenny, a lot of these guys can play 1 or 2, 2 or 3, and 3 or 4 (with a couple who can do 2 to 4 if injuries really push us)



Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


We won't have much room for additional frontcourt help.


KD isnt enough front court help?!?!


I'm talking about bench depth. i think we need a 3rd big behind Allen and Davis (if Ed comes back).
"Mother____er, get me two fingers of Southern Comfort"
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#12 » by SpeedyG » Fri May 3, 2019 7:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
We won't have much room for additional frontcourt help.


KD isnt enough front court help?!?!


I'm talking about bench depth. i think we need a 3rd big behind Allen and Davis (if Ed comes back).
It's still not an issue. Worst case scenario:

Stretch Crabbe
Trade or Stash Denver pick
Sign KD
Resign Russell
Resign Ed (we retained his bird rights in both finance sheets above)
(over the cap at this point)

Use MLE for 3rd bench big.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
TheNetsFan
Veteran
Posts: 2,873
And1: 582
Joined: Feb 11, 2007
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#13 » by TheNetsFan » Fri May 3, 2019 8:22 pm

Davis’s non-bird rights are worthless to us. His cap hold is the same as the max we can pay him under non-bird. He’ll cost us pure cap space unless he settles for the room MLE.
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#14 » by SpeedyG » Sat May 4, 2019 2:48 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:Davis’s non-bird rights are worthless to us. His cap hold is the same as the max we can pay him under non-bird. He’ll cost us pure cap space unless he settles for the room MLE.
Crap I completely forgot about him signing as a FA. I'll update the sheet at some time today. Still, if he's fine with that amount, we can basically bring him back for roughly same 1st year salary for multiple year deal

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
Posts: 48,082
And1: 2,148
Joined: May 30, 2005
Location: New Jeruz
Contact:
     

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#15 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat May 4, 2019 4:47 pm

Just renouncing Ed Davis gets us uber close to a 7 to 9 year max. He doesn't even create another cap hold, because technically you only have to account for 11 cap holds, since it's implied the signing of a free agent removes the 12th so that cap hold amount can be included in said free agents first year base salary.
Image
PD28 wrote:Retirement Bod Dudley FTW!
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#16 » by SpeedyG » Fri May 10, 2019 1:46 am

Updated to remove Ed's cap hold. Easier to fit a rookie max, but hurts our depth since all we can offer Ed is basically exception
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
Netaman
Starter
Posts: 2,050
And1: 319
Joined: Jun 04, 2004

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#17 » by Netaman » Fri May 10, 2019 2:04 am

I hope we can land Porzingas or T. Harris. Both young, dynamic, and would fit well with the current core group.

Obviously I'd also happily take Durant or Leonard if they wanted to come here. If we can trade Crabbe great, other wise stretch away.
TheNetsFan
Veteran
Posts: 2,873
And1: 582
Joined: Feb 11, 2007
   

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#18 » by TheNetsFan » Fri May 10, 2019 3:01 am

You have too many roster cap holds, plus the 12th hold Disappears when signing a FA.
User avatar
SpeedyG
RealGM
Posts: 15,274
And1: 1,191
Joined: Mar 07, 2003

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#19 » by SpeedyG » Fri May 10, 2019 10:39 am

TheNetsFan wrote:You have too many roster cap holds, plus the 12th hold Disappears when signing a FA.
Were either trading Crabbe or stretching him in both scenarios so we will have 3 spots open before we sign somebody.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
Bless the man if his heart and his land are one ~ FrancisM, R.I.P. 3/6/09
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 32,427
And1: 9,906
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: 2019 Off-season Nets Salary Cap Quick Guide 

Post#20 » by Prokorov » Fri May 10, 2019 12:13 pm

SpeedyG wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:You have too many roster cap holds, plus the 12th hold Disappears when signing a FA.
Were either trading Crabbe or stretching him in both scenarios so we will have 3 spots open before we sign somebody.

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app


I think there is a 50% or better chance we keep Crabbe.

I think the "2 max players" scenario is extremely unlikely and i think durant is unlikely. meaning the guy we sign is less then a 35% max player. Crabbe's expiring will be a VERY valuable asset for us in season if we want to be players for a big name trade during the year.

even if we do dump crabbe, one of those cap holds goes away when we sign a free agent, as netsfan said. it is still, at most, 2 cap holds. and 1 until crabbe is dumped.
Kswiss wrote:Go watch a D'Angelo Russell highlight tape and tell me with a straight face the kid looks like a NBA prospect. I just can't see him in the league in three years.


Timestamp: July 21, 2017

Return to Brooklyn Nets