ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,818

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1461 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:27 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Dude they gave up their picks for the decade.

Kawhi could leave in 4 years. Paul George could leave in 2. Its an insane overpay of unreal proportions.

I can't believe they gave up that much.

Are they contenders? If the answer is yes, the Clippers do it 10 times out of 10.

The Nets do the KG/Pierce trade 10/10 too.

Its not about doing it. Its about did you have to give up that much?

OKC was going to trade him. But you really didn't have to give up that kind of a package. Nobody else was going to come close.

Risk-reward ratio is still a hell of a lot higher when King did it. You're talking about one of the top players in their prime vs two guys in their twilights.

OKC did a good job using Raptors as a potential bidding partner. The difference was Masai not wanting to let go of Siakim, the team already coming off a championship, and that they already gave up a pick to bring Kawhi in this season.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,887

Post#1462 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:30 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Are they contenders? If the answer is yes, the Clippers do it 10 times out of 10.

The Nets do the KG/Pierce trade 10/10 too.

Its not about doing it. Its about did you have to give up that much?

OKC was going to trade him. But you really didn't have to give up that kind of a package. Nobody else was going to come close.

Risk-reward ratio is still a hell of a lot higher when King did it. You're talking about one of the top players in their prime vs two guys in their twilights.

OKC did a good job using Raptors as a potential bidding partner. The difference was Masai not wanting to let go of Siakim, the team already coming off a championship, and that they already gave up a pick to bring Kawhi in this season.

Were not in disagreement about making the trade.

Were in disagreement about how much the Clippers have up.

OKC was going to make that trade without giving up that many picks in my view.

Raptors were a smoke screen. Raps were not going to give up that much unless they knew Kawhi was coming back.

I just think this was a massive overpay for George. They should have given half of those picks and forced Presti's hands.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,818

Post#1463 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:34 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Were not in disagreement about making the trade.

Raptors were a smoke screen. Raps were not going to give up that much unless they knew Kawhi was coming back.

I just think this was a massive overpay for George. They should have given half of those picks and forced Presti's hands.

For George alone, sure. But to team him up with Kawhi on either team, one would think Presti would've taken less from Toronto in the East unless West gave a ransom. Who knows, maybe I'm overrating Presti's intelligence.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1464 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 7:41 pm

Rich Rane wrote:

For George alone, sure. But to team him up with Kawhi on either team, one would think Presti would've taken less from Toronto in the East unless West gave a ransom. Who knows, maybe I'm overrating Presti's intelligence.

But it was for George alone. I mean thats what they traded for.

Toronto wasn't gonna do it unless they knew Kawhi was coming, And Kawhi could have gone to the Lakers.

I just think it was too much. I think they will regret this long term. It was the biggest haul ever given in a trade for a Superstar. The return on value was INSANE.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#1465 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:02 pm

Obviously, the Clippers have to be happy about nabbing both Kawhi and Paul, even though they gave up the farm to get them.

I still don't see them as the favorites, but it's a tight race. I see LAL, HOU, LAC, POR, DEN and then UTA as having the best odds ot make it out of the West. It's really a crapshoot as to who is best, though.

I think people are underestimating what a LeBron-AD combo can do. Green was a nice pickup if a bit pricey, Cook and Dudley are low-key coups. Rondo and Cousins could be great, or could blow up team chemistry, but it'll be exciting! I expect them to fill out the roster with McGee, Pope, Meeks and a defensive stalwart PF.

If Houston weren't so dysfunctional internally, they'd be my pick. I feel like they are a powder keg about to explode. All during their pursuit of Butler, I thought of Pau land Harden as a swinger couple. They keep inviting other people to "join" their soiree, just to mask the toxic relationship between the two of them.

LAC look like a defensive boa constrictor on the perimeter, but they have an abysmal bigman group. Kawhi and Paul could slide to the 3 and 4 in Doc's system, but who's going to take the bruising night in and night out, while the other lights it up on the wing? If they could have snapped up DMC, they'd have been set. Instead, they will have to take their lumps in the playoffs against LAL's new twin towers, and Jokic, and Gobert, and Towns, and Porzingis, and Aldridge and...
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
isekii
Sixth Man
And1: 207

Post#1466 » by isekii » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:28 pm

looks like this year is wide open in terms of teams vying for a championship.

it's not a single team stacked where they're almost guaranteed the ring. it can go several different ways.

This upcoming season is going to be exciting to watch.
Bynum = Future Olowokandi
Prepare to be disappointed Laker Fans.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1467 » by NyCeEvO » Sat Jul 6, 2019 8:56 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I CANNOT believe they gave up that much for Paul George.

They got straight up bent over.

Who were they competing against? I have to believe OKC would have taken less. Nobody else would have come close to that offer.

The Clippers may be good next year but they will be crippled moving forward without any way of getting better in the near future.

We gave up NOTHING and got Kyrie and KD. That's unreal.

I’ve yet to hear someone dismiss the reports that Kawhi has a DEGENERATIVE condition (tendinitis?) in his quad.

We also saw Kawhi struggle as the postseason went on. Should we expect him to fight through pain every year? Since it’s degenerative, it will get worse, right? The Clips better pray they remain relevant over the course of those picks.

This is an interesting offseason to date.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1468 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:28 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I CANNOT believe they gave up that much for Paul George.

They got straight up bent over.

Who were they competing against? I have to believe OKC would have taken less. Nobody else would have come close to that offer.

The Clippers may be good next year but they will be crippled moving forward without any way of getting better in the near future.

We gave up NOTHING and got Kyrie and KD. That's unreal.

I’ve yet to hear someone dismiss the reports that Kawhi has a DEGENERATIVE condition (tendinitis?) in his quad.

We also saw Kawhi struggle as the postseason went on. Should we expect him to fight through pain every year? Since it’s degenerative, it will get worse, right? The Clips better pray they remain relevant over the course of those picks.

This is an interesting offseason to date.

Kawhi clearly has something wrong with him long term. He's gonna stay playing 60 games for the rest of his career.

But he couldn't even make it through the playoffs without playing in pain.

I wouldn't be shocked if Paul George leaves to team up with Giannis on the Knicks in 2021. We see that stuff happens all the time.

I think this trade was a crazy haul.

Yes Durant may not be the same player, but we gave up nothing. If Durant-Kyrie doesn't work out we have all our picks and young players moving forward.
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#1469 » by bud29 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:34 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Toronto wasn't gonna do it unless they knew Kawhi was coming, And Kawhi could have gone to the Lakers.

I just think it was too much. I think they will regret this long term. It was the biggest haul ever given in a trade for a Superstar. The return on value was INSANE.

Clippers weren't going to get Kawhi if they didn't land George too. They gave up a ton and it may hurt them later on, but every GM in the league would give up five first rounders for Kawhi + Paul George.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1470 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:37 pm

The Clippers to me are easily the favorites to win it all this season. Probably not have the best overall record, but come playoff time with a likely top 4 seed, dangerous as Dolan at open mic night.

I wish I threw a hundo on the Clips at 16 to 1 earlier this week smh.

But parity has finally arrived in the NBA and it's hella exciting. There's 7 or 8 top contenders and an additional 4 or 5 teams who could sneak in there for the chip if their star goes into God Mode for a few weeks starting in the 2nd round of the playoffs.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1471 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:39 pm

bud29 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Clippers weren't going to get Kawhi if they didn't land George too. They gave up a ton and it may hurt them later on, but every GM in the league would give up five first rounders for Kawhi + Paul George.

So you're telling me when push comes to shove Presti is saying no to three first rounders, SGA, ad Gallo with no pick swaps?

You really think he doesn't take it?

What leverage does he have?
DeRoma
Veteran
And1: 525

Post#1472 » by DeRoma » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:46 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bud29 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

So you're telling me when push comes to shove Presti is saying no to three first rounders, SGA, ad Gallo with no pick swaps?

They had to do it. Their main competition(Lakers) just went all-in. If Kawhi went to that team and the clippers striked out. They would've lost their fan base.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1473 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:48 pm

DeRoma wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bud29 wrote:Clippers weren't going to get Kawhi if they didn't land George too. They gave up a ton and it may hurt them later on, but every GM in the league would give up five first rounders for Kawhi + Paul George.

They had to do it. Their main competition(Lakers) just went all-in. If Kawhi went to that team and the clippers striked out. They would've lost their fan base.

They had to do it, they didn't have to give up that much. That's the point.

The Thunder still woulda done it.
bud29
Junior
And1: 139

Post#1474 » by bud29 » Sat Jul 6, 2019 9:51 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bud29 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

"Give me more or I'm not trading you George, which means you're not getting Kawhi either." That's some decent leverage.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#1475 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 10:50 pm

bud29 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bud29 wrote:Clippers weren't going to get Kawhi if they didn't land George too. They gave up a ton and it may hurt them later on, but every GM in the league would give up five first rounders for Kawhi + Paul George.

"Give me more or I'm not trading you George, which means you're not getting Kawhi either." That's some decent leverage.

They were gonna trade George. Sorry it was gonna happen.

Nobody would have given them close to that offer.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1476 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:14 pm

The haul OKC got for George was insane. In retrospect, all these top tier guys are getting things they want at the cost of the franchise.

Durant and Kyrie get the Nets to get Jordan at a 4/40 contract.

Lebron gets the Lakers to fork over a haul for Davis.

Kawhi gets the Clippers to fork over a haul for George.

Player empowerment era is in full force.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1477 » by Keith Van Horn » Sat Jul 6, 2019 11:39 pm

While it's not really a free agent move, thought I'd just stick it here since it's related to the conversation.

If the Nets are truly not done and want to make another splash, I think a lot of us like Bradley Beal. His skill set screams perfect for the Nets with Kyrie and Durant (For the record, I also think Jrue Holiday would be a really good fit).

I think the AD trade and George trade helped establish a massive value for big names. Maybe the Wizards are encouraged to start a rebuild now after seeing what the Pelicans and Thunder were able to do

I don't think Beal will be as expensive, but he'd probably cost 3 FRPs, Levert, and filler. probably have other teams out there with better offers though.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,883

Post#1478 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:03 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:The haul OKC got for George was insane. In retrospect, all these top tier guys are getting things they want at the cost of the franchise.

Durant and Kyrie get the Nets to get Jordan at a 4/40 contract.

Lebron gets the Lakers to fork over a haul for Davis.

Kawhi gets the Clippers to fork over a haul for George.

Player empowerment era is in full force.

Kyrie and KD took paycuts to get Jordan in here and also, Jordan fills a huge need at center.

Compared to what Lebron and Leonard did to the Lakers and Clippers futures, paying DeAndre Jordan 10 mil a year until he's 34 isn't a big deal at all.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1479 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:05 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:While it's not really a free agent move, thought I'd just stick it here since it's related to the conversation.

If the Nets are truly not done and want to make another splash, I think a lot of us like Bradley Beal. His skill set screams perfect for the Nets with Kyrie and Durant (For the record, I also think Jrue Holiday would be a really good fit).

I think the AD trade and George trade helped establish a massive value for big names. Maybe the Wizards are encouraged to start a rebuild now after seeing what the Pelicans and Thunder were able to do

I don't think Beal will be as expensive, but he'd probably cost 3 FRPs, Levert, and filler. probably have other teams out there with better offers though.

I'm not interested in anything like that if the cost is going to be three first round picks. I'd rather hold onto LeVert and see what happens when he's playing with Durant and Irving.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#1480 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:06 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
bud29 wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:

They were gonna trade George. Sorry it was gonna happen.

Nobody would have given them close to that offer.

I agree that the cost was insane but the opportunity to become a championship team overnight was too good for the Clippers to pass up.

Return to Brooklyn Nets