ImageImageImageImageImage

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1481 » by Prokorov » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:13 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:Obviously, the Clippers have to be happy about nabbing both Kawhi and Paul, even though they gave up the farm to get them.

I still don't see them as the favorites, but it's a tight race. I see LAL, HOU, LAC, POR, DEN and then UTA as having the best odds ot make it out of the West. It's really a crapshoot as to who is best, though.

I think people are underestimating what a LeBron-AD combo can do. Green was a nice pickup if a bit pricey, Cook and Dudley are low-key coups. Rondo and Cousins could be great, or could blow up team chemistry, but it'll be exciting! I expect them to fill out the roster with McGee, Pope, Meeks and a defensive stalwart PF.

If Houston weren't so dysfunctional internally, they'd be my pick. I feel like they are a powder keg about to explode. All during their pursuit of Butler, I thought of Pau land Harden as a swinger couple. They keep inviting other people to "join" their soiree, just to mask the toxic relationship between the two of them.

LAC look like a defensive boa constrictor on the perimeter, but they have an abysmal bigman group. Kawhi and Paul could slide to the 3 and 4 in Doc's system, but who's going to take the bruising night in and night out, while the other lights it up on the wing? If they could have snapped up DMC, they'd have been set. Instead, they will have to take their lumps in the playoffs against LAL's new twin towers, and Jokic, and Gobert, and Towns, and Porzingis, and Aldridge and...

clippers chances ended when they dealt for PG. that guy is a loser on the court and in life
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#1482 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:38 am

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Obviously, the Clippers have to be happy about nabbing both Kawhi and Paul, even though they gave up the farm to get them.

I still don't see them as the favorites, but it's a tight race. I see LAL, HOU, LAC, POR, DEN and then UTA as having the best odds ot make it out of the West. It's really a crapshoot as to who is best, though.

I think people are underestimating what a LeBron-AD combo can do. Green was a nice pickup if a bit pricey, Cook and Dudley are low-key coups. Rondo and Cousins could be great, or could blow up team chemistry, but it'll be exciting! I expect them to fill out the roster with McGee, Pope, Meeks and a defensive stalwart PF.

If Houston weren't so dysfunctional internally, they'd be my pick. I feel like they are a powder keg about to explode. All during their pursuit of Butler, I thought of Pau land Harden as a swinger couple. They keep inviting other people to "join" their soiree, just to mask the toxic relationship between the two of them.

LAC look like a defensive boa constrictor on the perimeter, but they have an abysmal bigman group. Kawhi and Paul could slide to the 3 and 4 in Doc's system, but who's going to take the bruising night in and night out, while the other lights it up on the wing? If they could have snapped up DMC, they'd have been set. Instead, they will have to take their lumps in the playoffs against LAL's new twin towers, and Jokic, and Gobert, and Towns, and Porzingis, and Aldridge and...

clippers chances ended when they dealt for PG. that guy is a loser on the court and in life

lol bro come on Prok, he must have really done something to u in real life :crazy: please explain how on earth is George trash
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#1483 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:55 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:I CANNOT believe they gave up that much for Paul George.

They got straight up bent over.

Who were they competing against? I have to believe OKC would have taken less. Nobody else would have come close to that offer.

The Clippers may be good next year but they will be crippled moving forward without any way of getting better in the near future.

We gave up NOTHING and got Kyrie and KD. That's unreal.

I’ve yet to hear someone dismiss the reports that Kawhi has a DEGENERATIVE condition (tendinitis?) in his quad.

We also saw Kawhi struggle as the postseason went on. Should we expect him to fight through pain every year? Since it’s degenerative, it will get worse, right? The Clips better pray they remain relevant over the course of those picks.

This is an interesting offseason to date.

Kawhi clearly has something wrong with him long term. He's gonna stay playing 60 games for the rest of his career.

But he couldn't even make it through the playoffs without playing in pain.

And that’s the thing...if it’s truly degenerative, wouldn’t it mean that it couldn’t get any better going forward?

So even with load management, he’s going to struggle physically for every deep run in the playoffs. If he can still be effective over the life of the contract like he was last year, things will be ok. But what if he’s not?

I will admit though that barring injury, the Clippers top 7 is a pretty tenacious group.

I wouldn't be shocked if Paul George leaves to team up with Giannis on the Knicks in 2021. We see that stuff happens all the time.
I think it’s more likely for Giannis to leave, which is sad because Milwaukee may have created doubt in his mind for the first time in his career. They let go of Brogdon and Mirotic, but Middleton’s new contract will just takes up the cap once occupied by those players. So they basically paid Middleton more to replace two other valuable contributors who helped provide spacing. Idk what MIL will do going forward.

Yes Durant may not be the same player, but we gave up nothing. If Durant-Kyrie doesn't work out we have all our picks and young players moving forward.

And that’s the key. The Nets would’ve been capped out going forward if they just continued a slow build and extended our main core after their rookie contracts expired. With DLo, Caris, and Allen, I think their ceiling over the next four years would’ve been a darkhorse ECF contender. Now, if Caris and Allen improve and KD is 90% of what he used to be, we’re legit title contenders, and we didn’t give up the future to make that happen. Unless DLo becomes an MVP candidate (highly unlikely), this situation is better for us at the present and going forward.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1484 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:57 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:The Clippers to me are easily the favorites to win it all this season. Probably not have the best overall record, but come playoff time with a likely top 4 seed, dangerous as Dolan at open mic night.

I wish I threw a hundo on the Clips at 16 to 1 earlier this week smh.

But parity has finally arrived in the NBA and it's hella exciting. There's 7 or 8 top contenders and an additional 4 or 5 teams who could sneak in there for the chip if their star goes into God Mode for a few weeks starting in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

This is what a healthy league looks like.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1485 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:09 am

Keith Van Horn wrote:While it's not really a free agent move, thought I'd just stick it here since it's related to the conversation.

If the Nets are truly not done and want to make another splash, I think a lot of us like Bradley Beal. His skill set screams perfect for the Nets with Kyrie and Durant (For the record, I also think Jrue Holiday would be a really good fit).

I think the AD trade and George trade helped establish a massive value for big names. Maybe the Wizards are encouraged to start a rebuild now after seeing what the Pelicans and Thunder were able to do

I don't think Beal will be as expensive, but he'd probably cost 3 FRPs, Levert, and filler. probably have other teams out there with better offers though.

Yeah, a few of us have mentioned Beal. Although I do expect a bidding war. Teams are competing to have the best team. Some contender/faux contender probably already believes that adding Beal will put them into the driver’s seat for title contention.

Caris is my boy. I’d hate to send him to Washington because their front office is terrible. But if we got Beal, I think it puts us as a strong playoff team without KD and true contenders with him.

With that said, it wouldn’t shock me (and this is what I’m hoping for) if Caris improves on his jumpshot the degree that he’d finally become an offensive menace. He’s an average/above-average passer, elite first step to blow by defenders, above-average handle that seems to improving with each year. The last but most important hole to fill is shooting. If he unlocks that, he fulfills the condition for offensive stardom and would do so at a cheaper rate than Beal (hence why I think Caris needs to be extended before the season and not allowed to become a RFA).
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1486 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:12 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:The haul OKC got for George was insane. In retrospect, all these top tier guys are getting things they want at the cost of the franchise.

Durant and Kyrie get the Nets to get Jordan at a 4/40 contract.

Lebron gets the Lakers to fork over a haul for Davis.

Kawhi gets the Clippers to fork over a haul for George.

Player empowerment era is in full force.

Kyrie and KD took paycuts to get Jordan in here and also, Jordan fills a huge need at center.

Compared to what Lebron and Leonard did to the Lakers and Clippers futures, paying DeAndre Jordan 10 mil a year until he's 34 isn't a big deal at all.

I always find it funny that people act like Jordan’s deal is some albatross of a contract. With the new cap, he’s literally less than 1/10th of the team’s total salary cap. That’s an easily tradable/filler contract.

The hate from some people is just oozing. There are no downsides to have Jordan on the team. We essentially got him for free.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#1487 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:39 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:The Clippers to me are easily the favorites to win it all this season. Probably not have the best overall record, but come playoff time with a likely top 4 seed, dangerous as Dolan at open mic night.

I wish I threw a hundo on the Clips at 16 to 1 earlier this week smh.

But parity has finally arrived in the NBA and it's hella exciting. There's 7 or 8 top contenders and an additional 4 or 5 teams who could sneak in there for the chip if their star goes into God Mode for a few weeks starting in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

This is what a healthy league looks like.

For sure for sure. Love it man. And the icing on the cake is we should be one of the top 4 of this mix next season.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Crafty919
Ballboy
And1: 6

Post#1488 » by Crafty919 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:55 am

All this parity in the league is pretty damn good. Just glad the Nets are finally in the picture.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1489 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jul 7, 2019 11:32 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Keith Van Horn wrote:The haul OKC got for George was insane. In retrospect, all these top tier guys are getting things they want at the cost of the franchise.

Kyrie and KD took paycuts to get Jordan in here and also, Jordan fills a huge need at center.

Compared to what Lebron and Leonard did to the Lakers and Clippers futures, paying DeAndre Jordan 10 mil a year until he's 34 isn't a big deal at all.

I always find it funny that people act like Jordan’s deal is some albatross of a contract. With the new cap, he’s literally less than 1/10th of the team’s total salary cap. That’s an easily tradable/filler contract.

The hate from some people is just oozing. There are no downsides to have Jordan on the team. We essentially got him for free.

I was just saying how the star players were able to get what they want. I like DJ with Allen. Honestly didn’t think it was possible and that’s why I threw out names like Gortat and Robin Lopez previously. Please don’t misconstrue my comment on player empowerment with complaining about a potential bad deal. (But maybe you’re just referencing a lot of social media who’s hating on the player and deal? Bc I’ve seen that too)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#1490 » by Keith Van Horn » Sun Jul 7, 2019 12:30 pm

Random... and excuse me if I come off sounding like an IceMan trade idea lol (no offense bud).

What about Jabari Parker on a cheap deal? Give him a 1/1 TO deal. See if Kenny can work on his game and get him into the rotation this year. Revitalize him and he becomes a useful asset or rotation player. Worst case he’s a minor sunk cost.

Thoughts on Parker?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#1491 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:47 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I was just saying how the star players were able to get what they want. I like DJ with Allen. Honestly didn’t think it was possible and that’s why I threw out names like Gortat and Robin Lopez previously. Please don’t misconstrue my comment on player empowerment with complaining about a potential bad deal. (But maybe you’re just referencing a lot of social media who’s hating on the player and deal? Bc I’ve seen that too)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

I wasn’t referring to you. My bad...I should’ve been more clear.

I was referring to fans of opposing teams who magnify the imperfections of the Nets roster as massive problems. No team is perfect. The better you are, the more flaws people find, and the greater the criticisms are, regardless of whether they are legitimate or not.

I don’t like “sneak dissing”. I would’ve quoted you if I wanted to disagree with a specific point that you made lol.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Pt. II – The 2019 Free Agency Thread (Kyrie, KD, Kawhi, AD) 

Post#1492 » by NyCeEvO » Sun Jul 7, 2019 1:48 pm

Keith Van Horn wrote:Random... and excuse me if I come off sounding like an IceMan trade idea lol (no offense bud).

What about Jabari Parker on a cheap deal? Give him a 1/1 TO deal. See if Kenny can work on his game and get him into the rotation this year. Revitalize him and he becomes a useful asset or rotation player. Worst case he’s a minor sunk cost.

Thoughts on Parker?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I wouldn’t do it. I think it’s pretty clear that he has attitude issues, and he’s not going to change at least until he has really been humbled.

He’s been on...what...2-3 teams (?) since Milwaukee and each of them had the same mindset of hoping he’d change. By the end, they all thought it would be best to part ways.

The Nets shouldn’t waste a roster space on him. I think he would be more of a threat to destroy team chemistry than Kyrie.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#1493 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jul 7, 2019 2:46 pm

Crafty919 wrote:All this parity in the league is pretty damn good. Just glad the Nets are finally in the picture.

Yes this is why I'm ecstatic Kawhi went to the Clippers instead of Lakers, but now with PG they will be contenders for years. Make this a 2 star league again... LeBron/AD , PG13/Kawhi, Kyrie/KD, CP3/Harden, Curry/Klay, Simmons/Embiid, Dame/CJ, Giannis/Middleton, Doncic/KP , Mitchell/ Conley ... This will be one of the best seasons in NBA history.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1494 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 7, 2019 3:23 pm

Has it ever occurred to anyone we might be witnessing history repeat itself?

Imagine if our first trip back to the NBA Finals is against the LeBron, AD & the Lakers...
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,095

Post#1495 » by therealbig3 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 4:56 pm

Lakers are good purely because of the LeBron/AD combo, but LeBron isn't the same guy anymore...and it's fair to expect either him or Davis or both of them to miss time this regular season, and even in the playoffs as well.

Really not that impressed with them, from a title contender point of view. They screwed up free agency so badly by chasing Kawhi Leonard. They could have easily just moved on and gone after one of the other, smaller name free agents who fits them better than Kawhi, and would have actually helped their team this year, compared to who they got. They literally had to sign guys on the trash heap who nobody else wanted. Horford/Kemba would have made them dangerous, instead they wanted Kawhi and didn't get him, and all the other good players already went elsewhere.

I think the Clippers are easily the title favorites now, with Philadelphia capable of making a run as well. We'll be there next year, but it depends on how much of a recovery Durant can make.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#1496 » by Paradise » Sun Jul 7, 2019 5:55 pm

Bobby Portis just destroyed Ric Bucher’s credibility.

Read on Twitter
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#1497 » by Claud » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:05 pm

I don't think free agency could have gone any better.

Now we must hope for good health because if we can stay healthy even without KD in the mix we can hit 50 wins IMO.

Kyrie/Dinwiddie/Hands
Harris/Temple/Pinson
LeVert/Prince/Musa
Kurucs/Chandler/KD
Jordan/Allen/Clax
NetsWorld
Starter
And1: 1,030

Post#1498 » by NetsWorld » Sun Jul 7, 2019 6:29 pm

Bring Westbrook over :))
Crane08
Senior
And1: 249

Post#1499 » by Crane08 » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:42 pm

Sup everyone what are your thoughts on RHJ?
"...Butler is in that next tier. Fred and Pascal are getting close though" 8-)
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,843

Post#1500 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jul 7, 2019 9:44 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Yep. Lots of angry, bitter fans this offseason
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe

Return to Brooklyn Nets