ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#961 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:17 pm

Eric Adams is basically now all but admitting that the rules are stupid since out of town athletes are allowed to play in NYC.

But saying he doesn't want to send the wrong message. Its obvious this has to be changed.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xyFenXQEicgC2nmDZ0w7aA
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,833

Post#962 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:29 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Eric Adams is basically now all but admitting that the rules are stupid since out of town athletes are allowed to play in NYC.

But saying he doesn't want to send the wrong message. Its obvious this has to be changed.

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xyFenXQEicgC2nmDZ0w7aA

I think he will have to change it. My thinking is because it would be a really bad idea for NYC to bar unvaccinated performers (not just athletes) from coming to the city to perform because it will cost the city a crap ton of revenue. So, the only way to make this fair is to allow for NY performers to perform as long as they submit to daily testing, which Kyrie is.

Him acknowledging that the rule is unfair is a step in the right direction, at least. I just wish Kyrie wasn't so stubborn.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 333

Post#963 » by bullsaficianado » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:50 pm

Pretty simple really have Kyrie get a covid test before each home game and if he tests negative let him play. That should at the very least be allowed if they let performers from out of town come in and play that are unvaccinated. If he ever tests positive send him home. As long as most NBA players get vaccinated or are current an unvaccinated Kyrie Irving isn't going to do anyone any harm as long as he gets tested daily. People can die from complications of the Flu virus that never stopped NBA players from playing that are not vaccinated.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#964 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:04 am

Everything is (knock on wood) looking positive on the mandate front...

-Adam Silver publically saying the mandate doesnt make alot of sense. NBA has some clout.
-Kyrie on a twitter storm, replying with a Dearth vader .gif that his return to barclays is coming
-Marks comments about being optomistic
-Adams admitting the mandate makes no sense, not taking a hard stance as he has in some prior comments
-rates down across the board
-DC, Bos, Cali all loosening restrictions
-NY at the state level removing the mandate

It has to end soon. not doing it would just over the top political nonsense. As it is firing all those city workers on Monday was way over the top given the infection/death rates.

there is a light at the end of this tunnell
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#965 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:59 am

Christ just stick a q tip up his nose an hour before tip off and be done with it. There's zero reason for him not to play now. The city's vaccination rates are impeccable and cases are plummeting. God willing, we are nearing the end of this nightmare.

Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#966 » by Stone » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:35 pm

One thing we should start discussing is Kyrie's contract. He has a players option for next season. Is he planning on resigning with us or is he going to test the market?

Hopefully we will get a decent look at how he KD and Ben play together this season in advance of any decisions.

I believe Marks wants to keep the core of KD, Ky and Ben and have them all locked up for seasons to come. But it would not shock me if there was a sign and trade either.

What does the Nets board think?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#967 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:12 pm

Stone wrote:One thing we should start discussing is Kyrie's contract. He has a players option for next season. Is he planning on resigning with us or is he going to test the market?

Hopefully we will get a decent look at how he KD and Ben play together this season in advance of any decisions.

I believe Marks wants to keep the core of KD, Ky and Ben and have them all locked up for seasons to come. But it would not shock me if there was a sign and trade either.

I don't think we can get too cute with it. I'm sure Marks will try to get the contract base pay sub-max & add performance based bonuses for games played to bring it back to the possibility of full max salary. He'll probably also try to line it up to expire the same year KD's deal does. To do that would mean offering 4 years instead of 5, or 5 with a team option & partial guarantee. That being said, people are projecting a $171mil salary cap in 2025 based on a new TV deal & no cap smoothing. In that scenario, I'm sure players will be angling to hit free agency when the cap jumps, because as we saw with the last jump, FAs in the year of the jump (Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, etc.) got paid, and left no money for FAs the following couple of years.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#968 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:27 pm

TheNetsFan wrote:
Stone wrote:One thing we should start discussing is Kyrie's contract. He has a players option for next season. Is he planning on resigning with us or is he going to test the market?

I don't think we can get too cute with it. I'm sure Marks will try to get the contract base pay sub-max & add performance based bonuses for games played to bring it back to the possibility of full max salary. He'll probably also try to line it up to expire the same year KD's deal does. To do that would mean offering 4 years instead of 5, or 5 with a team option & partial guarantee. That being said, people are projecting a $171mil salary cap in 2025 based on a new TV deal & no cap smoothing. In that scenario, I'm sure players will be angling to hit free agency when the cap jumps, because as we saw with the last jump, FAs in the year of the jump (Crabbe, Tyler Johnson, etc.) got paid, and left no money for FAs the following couple of years.

Yeah I am in the boat that we pretty much have no choice but to resign Kyrie. But he needs to definitely have incentives in place because this part time crap is not cool.

Netaman
Analyst
And1: 1,069

Post#969 » by Netaman » Thu Feb 17, 2022 3:39 pm

Kyrie is what he is - with KD on the floor, when he decides to play, he's an excellent role player. HOF level basically. Will hit almost every open shot, every free throw, and a half dozen highlight worthy drives. All time skill.

But as the main guy he is as flawed of a "floor general" as Marbury. I'm convinced they would have lost if he played in the Knicks game last night. He just doesn't know how to get the rest of the team going. He's hero ball or nothing. This is possibly too heavily influenced by the last few games he played because they were basically the first with Kyrie and no Harden since last year, but it reminded me of how much better the offense looked when Harden arrived and Kyrie went off ball. Now reminded I fully expect the team to function better when Simmons is on the point.

And he's obviously super high maintenance. He has lived up to his reputation prior to the nets fully.

So what do they do with him going forward? No idea. But if KD has learned anything from the Harden situation it's got to be that he needs to get as many RELIABLE people/players around him as possible. Guys who are truly all about ball the way he is. I'm not saying that means Kyrie should or will be a goner, but if he's half committed it wouldn't shock me if the nets let him move on somehow (s&t, opt in and the trade in-season, etc). Or put another way if Kyrie doesn't want the vision KD has for BKLYN going forward he will let him move on to what he wants - just like Harden did. And Marks will extract the best value he can.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#970 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:04 pm

i mean, what's the big noise about? The part in the mandates/rules where the home athlete cannot play but outside unvax can play(extended beyond sports, all entertainers) are as stupid now as it was then back in Fall.....

The spirit was correct, in my opinion, in making such an action to defeat the pandemic but the details didn't make sense.

Nothing excuses Kyrie IMO but make it so unvax play in NYC OR NO unvax players play.... make a change now!
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#971 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:40 pm

I cant envision any scenario were he considers other options. A seperation from the Nets would only come from the team side, and also seems unlikely. if they stuck with him through this, i doubt they cut bait after
TheNetsFan
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#972 » by TheNetsFan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:

I cant envision any scenario were he considers other options. A seperation from the Nets would only come from the team side, and also seems unlikely. if they stuck with him through this, i doubt they cut bait after

Agree, but you wonder if given the amount of time he has missed each year, the team plays some hardball rather than hand over a full max deal.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#973 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:57 pm

He doesn't deserve a full max imo.
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.

Return to Brooklyn Nets