Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#381 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:10 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

So he's getting the surgery it seems, and I'd imagine that's him done for the season.

This was the only thing left to do that makes sense for everyone here involved long term. He just needs to get it completely fixed.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#382 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:13 pm

Paradise wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20

So he's getting the surgery it seems, and I'd imagine that's him done for the season.

This was the only thing left to do that makes sense for everyone here involved long term. He just needs to get it completely fixed.

2-4 month recovery time if it's minimally invasive.

So yeah, that's that for his season. I have no issue with this, he'll be back in time for camp and Durant is already set for next season so lets just play it out and develop Claxton, see what we have with Rodi, and move accordingly.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
clo12345
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#383 » by clo12345 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:21 pm

Called it in this thread?
I have a theory..it's inevitable that Kyrie gets surgery and they actually have a target date set soon - ending his season. Until then Kyrie wants to give us a short term boost so that we don't miss the playoffs. That's why he's not on a minutes restriction

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1930662

I hope for Kyrie's sake he isn't really vegan, since the vegan diet is suboptimal for recovery and the odds are against you as an athlete. Regardless hope he comes back healthy for next year.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#384 » by gigantes » Thu Feb 20, 2020 9:43 pm

clo12345 wrote:I hope for Kyrie's sake he isn't really vegan, since the vegan diet is suboptimal for recovery and the odds are against you as an athlete.

What's your science evidence for that, if I may ask?
Paradise

Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#385 » by Paradise » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:31 pm

clo12345 wrote:Called it in this thread?
I have a theory..it's inevitable that Kyrie gets surgery and they actually have a target date set soon - ending his season. Until then Kyrie wants to give us a short term boost so that we don't miss the playoffs. That's why he's not on a minutes restriction

I hope for Kyrie's sake he isn't really vegan, since the vegan diet is suboptimal for recovery and the odds are against you as an athlete. Regardless hope he comes back healthy for next year.

Him being a vegan has little to do with an injury that has plagued Paul George and most recently, Jabari Parker.

I grew up, born and raised in a raw vegan household and that’s a pretty ridiculous statement. I’m 26 going on 27 and I definitely know the difference as I’ve become a meat product consumer an adult, I’ve regretted it.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#386 » by vincecarter4pres » Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:57 pm

Paradise wrote:

Him being a vegan has little to do with an injury that has plagued Paul George and most recently, Jabari Parker.

I grew up, born and raised in a raw vegan household and that’s a pretty ridiculous statement. I’m 26 going on 27 and I definitely know the difference as I’ve become a meat product consumer an adult, I’ve regretted it.

I went damn near vegan/vegetarian for about 3 years and it was the healthiest, most filled with energy and good vibes I had/have ever been, along with the most in shape. I was in my early 30's and went from a fat, yet relatively strong slob with a very high body fat percentage weighing about 220 to a wirey strong 180(I'm 5'10 in socks). Although regrettably didn't really start playing ball again, I was able to grab rim with relative ease(although barely grab lol) off a one step 2 foot jump, which even in my best in shape youth I was only able to do the same off a run up from the foul, if not college 3 point line in the days when I played ball CONSTANTLY and I've always mainly been a 1 foot jumper.

Granted I was working out a lot more and cut back on beer a lot, but even when I gradually went back to full on carnivore I kept working out about the same amount(about 5 days a week for an hour on an elliptical, some free weights and calisthenics) for a year or so and struggled to stay under 195. I also immediately started feeling $hittier for lack of a better description and my sleep patterns(which had wildly improved) got worse again.

Also, I've never been one who needed more than 5 to 6 and a half hours sleep. When My diet was mainly vegan/veg/pesc, I felt great after that same sleep. When I went back to crap eating, I then/now feel drained no matter what sleep I get and wake up a number of times every night.

There were other variables though. I pretty much cut out fast food entirely, just gave myself a once a month Taco Bell or White Castle cheat haha. Also almost entirely cut out processed foods. Ate a lot of raw foods. Made my own soups, dressings, salads with and without lettuce, even cold cuts and cheeses I ate were of the locally sourced no preservative variety.

These days I eat like ****, way too much red meat, fast food, workout like once every 2 weeks lol(though I work a physical blue color job), drink too much beer(not even binge drink, just too often and high fat beers) and I struggle to stay at 215 of fat but still strong weight and feel like **** a lot of the time.

I've made a vow to go back to good eating and living these coming months and for good. I'm in my late 30's and it's only getting harder to make those physical turnarounds.

Lastly, my mental was so much better.

Eat clean bro, lol. :lol: :lift: :nod:
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#387 » by DarkXaero » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:14 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20

It's official, Kyrie out for the season.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#388 » by Born_Ready » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:36 pm

I honestly expected KI to miss some time with Brooklyn but not 26 games, then the remainder of the season. Luickly, this team is still somewhat built to compete without a big name All Star. It's just going to take a collective effort from everyone. Not Spencer playing hero ball (because he knows he can) and not Caris being tentative and not trusting himself in spots.

I hope to see more of DJ, Claxton, and maybe make a run at a buyout player they feel can help not just this season but going forward (not sure who that player would be) but hopefully everyone can play their part. Get in the playoffs and see what happens. Start tonight by beating fake bully ballers, 76ers.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
gigantes
Starter

Post#389 » by gigantes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 am

Paradise wrote:

My first thought was that "Clo12345" is talking about vegans who don't sufficiently understand how to do a healthy vegan diet. For example, those who don't know enough to get a full range of amino acids.

But I have a feeling what he's really talking about is that as a professional athlete, specific dietary demands are perhaps significantly more exacting than for us regular schlubs (even those of us who exercise religiously). "Suboptimal" at least sounds like a reasonable word for something like that.

I'm pretty curious though, since given today's nutritional science, a responsible / knowledgeable vegan -should- be able to get everything they need from the diet.

Actually, I'd love to hear Kyrie breaking down his diet and concepts on this stuff.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#390 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Paradise wrote:

I went damn near vegan/vegetarian for about 3 years and it was the healthiest, most filled with energy and good vibes I had/have ever been, along with the most in shape. I was in my early 30's and went from a fat, yet relatively strong slob with a very high body fat percentage weighing about 220 to a wirey strong 180(I'm 5'10 in socks). Although regrettably didn't really start playing ball again, I was able to grab rim with relative ease(although barely grab lol) off a one step 2 foot jump, which even in my best in shape youth I was only able to do the same off a run up from the foul, if not college 3 point line in the days when I played ball CONSTANTLY and I've always mainly been a 1 foot jumper.

Granted I was working out a lot more and cut back on beer a lot, but even when I gradually went back to full on carnivore I kept working out about the same amount(about 5 days a week for an hour on an elliptical, some free weights and calisthenics) for a year or so and struggled to stay under 195. I also immediately started feeling $hittier for lack of a better description and my sleep patterns(which had wildly improved) got worse again.

Also, I've never been one who needed more than 5 to 6 and a half hours sleep. When My diet was mainly vegan/veg/pesc, I felt great after that same sleep. When I went back to crap eating, I then/now feel drained no matter what sleep I get and wake up a number of times every night.

There were other variables though. I pretty much cut out fast food entirely, just gave myself a once a month Taco Bell or White Castle cheat haha. Also almost entirely cut out processed foods. Ate a lot of raw foods. Made my own soups, dressings, salads with and without lettuce, even cold cuts and cheeses I ate were of the locally sourced no preservative variety.

These days I eat like ****, way too much red meat, fast food, workout like once every 2 weeks lol(though I work a physical blue color job), drink too much beer(not even binge drink, just too often and high fat beers) and I struggle to stay at 215 of fat but still strong weight and feel like **** a lot of the time.

I've made a vow to go back to good eating and living these coming months and for good. I'm in my late 30's and it's only getting harder to make those physical turnarounds.

Lastly, my mental was so much better.

Eat clean bro, lol. :lol: :lift: :nod:

My diet is all over the place because I work so many hours cooking when I get home is a no go. However I weight lift 3 nights a week with cardio in between non lift days. Plenty of deadlifting keeps the pounds off

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#391 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:11 am

gigantes wrote:
Paradise wrote:

My first thought was that "Clo12345" is talking about vegans who don't sufficiently understand how to do a healthy vegan diet. For example, those who don't know enough to get a full range of amino acids.

But I have a feeling what he's really talking about is that as a professional athlete, specific dietary demands are perhaps significantly more exacting than for us regular schlubs (even those of us who exercise religiously). "Suboptimal" at least sounds like a reasonable word for something like that.

I'm pretty curious though, since given today's nutritional science, a responsible / knowledgeable vegan -should- be able to get everything they need from the diet.

Actually, I'd love to hear Kyrie breaking down his diet and concepts on this stuff.

Is it confirmed that he's vegan? I know that DJ is.

clo12345
Freshman

Post#392 » by clo12345 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:23 am

gigantes wrote:
clo12345 wrote:I hope for Kyrie's sake he isn't really vegan, since the vegan diet is suboptimal for recovery and the odds are against you as an athlete.

I'm not a doctor and this is strictly my opinion based on research and my own journey to better health. Show me vegan athletes who have thrived and not been injury plagued - there are very few. It's very hard to get an adequate amount of protein, arguably the most important macronutrient, without eating meat.

Meat has been demonized in place of the true culprits of modern disease and ill health - sugar, vegetable oils, wheat/grains, ultra processed foods, legumes. I get veganism from an ethical stance, and it CAN be healthy and doable. Its just hard to sustain and IMO not optimal for athletes.
clo12345
Freshman

Post#393 » by clo12345 » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:29 am

gigantes wrote:
Paradise wrote:

Nutrition science is definitely a hotly debated and filthy industry. I don't know anything about Kyries diet other than him being a vegan advocate. Again it could be doable, but there isn't a good track record with vegan athletes.
gigantes
Starter

Post#394 » by gigantes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:58 am

clo12345 wrote:
gigantes wrote:

I'm not a doctor and this is strictly my opinion based on research and my own journey to better health. Show me vegan athletes who have thrived and not been injury plagued - there are very few. It's very hard to get an adequate amount of protein, arguably the most important macronutrient, without eating meat.

This is all hearsay without reputable studies, though.

Meat has been demonized in place of the true culprits of modern disease and ill health - sugar, vegetable oils, wheat/grains, ultra processed foods, legumes. I get veganism from an ethical stance, and it CAN be healthy and doable. Its just hard to sustain and IMO not optimal for athletes.

Well, there's plenty of studies which suggest that a meat-centric diet leads to higher levels of cardiovascular events and cancer. Those shouldn't be hard to google. In fact it's my working understanding that animal matter tends to produce more metabolic toxins than plant matter, all things being equal.

That said, I'm not trying to reject everything you're saying out of hand. I'm not in to extremism, here. Indeed, from what I gather, legit science has indeed found (many times over) that processed sugars are probably the most toxic food source we regularly ingest. On the other end of the things you mention, though, I can't seem to recall many negative findings on legumes in particular. More like the opposite, really.

Also, just for the record, the objection to meat runs far deeper than mere ethics IMO. More importantly, industrial meat production has been utterly disastrous to our sustainability. Key concerns are that it uses huge amounts of fresh water and is a significant contributor to green house gases (famously starting with cattle). But there are other nasty effects, too, such as messing with biotic and pesticide levels.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#395 » by Prokorov » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:59 am

clo12345 wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Deandre is a vegan.

Kyrie was injury prone before becoming a vegan

levert eats meat and is always hurt
gigantes
Starter

Post#396 » by gigantes » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:04 am

MrDollarBills wrote:Is it confirmed that he's vegan? I know that DJ is.

There's multiple sources saying he went vegan/vegetarian back in 2017. Most also seem to say that he's a "flexitarian" version of that, i.e. he might break his diet every once in a while in social situations.

Obviously it's also possible that he went strict / no-exceptions with this stuff at some point. Or that he dialed that back at some point, too.

Hard to know for sure unless you're a tiny spy living in his stomach, I guess. :P
Paradise

Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#397 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 3, 2020 7:01 pm

Update:

Read on Twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#398 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 3, 2020 8:16 pm

Paradise wrote:Update:

Read on Twitter

Good. Minimally invasive and he'll be healed up well before training camp.

Paradise

Post#399 » by Paradise » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Kyrie discusses the NJ Nets and growing up a struggling Nets fan.

Read on Twitter
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#400 » by NyCeEvO » Wed May 20, 2020 10:40 pm

Some quarantine content to remind you of the electric closer we have on our squad:

;feature=share

Return to Brooklyn Nets