ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ecuhus1981
RealGM
Posts: 14,995
And1: 733
Joined: Jun 19, 2007
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#641 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:13 pm

It's just getting started. The league has opened an investigation:

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-kyrie-irving-expected-to-be-investigated-by-nba-and-miss-at-least-three-more-nets-games-164735666.html

This won't end well for either Kyrie or us. He may have been moved by his father's and his sister's birthday, and wanted time to reflect; that does not give him the license to put lives in jeopardy.

It reminds me of Rodman's emergency getaway. The problem is, he is not a roleplayer, he's a leader. I feel for the guys, they must be conflicted in their feelings towards Ky as well all are.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
User avatar
Claud
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,738
And1: 642
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Austin, TX
   

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#642 » by Claud » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:25 pm

Kyrie is the Kanye of the NBA.

Brilliant and gifted at his craft, a legend but WTF is going on in his head?

I'm 100% a Ky fan but seriously starting to worry this season is going to get derailed by his off the court shiz.

The worse part is that he's the ONLY one doing this so it's not even a protest. He hasn't released ANY statement on the subject.

Bad look for Kyrie, Nets and NBA.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#643 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:04 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


Imagine being paid $500k for each of those games.

The Nets need to fine him. **** walking around on eggshells, this guy just did the team dirty.


I dont see how there is even a minor issue with any of it. fine him for what? he is 100% in his means to miss for personal reasons and those personal reasons shouldnt exclude him for attending family functions.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#644 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:06 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:This is even worse than the Harden stuff. And we killed him for that. Not sure what Kyrie is thinking but he's turned a private issue into a completely public one. Outside of quarantine, I expect a fine or a suspension. If the Nets aren't willing to do anything, the league will step in. And of course he's doing this when the league is meeting about making restrictions more strict.



I honestly would forgive him for the party issue if it wasn't coupled by the fact that this guy is missing games. What he did was really stupid, and illegal for that matter because I don't think New Jersey allows parties indoors of that size at a public venue, but it would be a forgivable act if he wasn't throwing the entire team in disarray with his absence.

I mean the guy is out for "personal reasons" and yet he's on film partying with his sister at the same time that the Nets are playing OKC....there is no excuse for it.

So he's okay to party but he had to miss Sunday's game and now today's (which he wouldn't even be cleared to play in now). This season is quickly becoming a disaster and i feel sorry for KD who was railroaded by this guy into coming here when he clearly isn't serious about wanting to lead this team and win. Leaders don't do this ****.


Whats wrong with celebrating family birthdays while on personal leave. if anything time with is family is probably a good thing as opposed to isolation in a time when you are distraught. i know during the white supremiacists terror attack on the capital the first thing i did was reach out to family.

ithe idea that you need to isolate because you are missing games to me doesnt make much sense. do what you need to get yourself in a place where you can focus on basketball again. and by all means spend time with family.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#645 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:07 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:I don’t even know what to say about this. If he’s on a personal leave then he needs to say now what it’s for. I’m sorry this is unacceptable.


He has told the team. its a private matter between kyrie and the team. he 100% owes nothing to the fans or national media. no one has an obligation to disclose personal leave/personal reasons for anything. if he wants to put it out there he can, but thats his business.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#646 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:This is even worse than the Harden stuff. And we killed him for that. Not sure what Kyrie is thinking but he's turned a private issue into a completely public one. Outside of quarantine, I expect a fine or a suspension. If the Nets aren't willing to do anything, the league will step in. And of course he's doing this when the league is meeting about making restrictions more strict.



I honestly would forgive him for the party issue if it wasn't coupled by the fact that this guy is missing games. What he did was really stupid, and illegal for that matter because I don't think New Jersey allows parties indoors of that size at a public venue, but it would be a forgivable act if he wasn't throwing the entire team in disarray with his absence.

I mean the guy is out for "personal reasons" and yet he's on film partying with his sister at the same time that the Nets are playing OKC....there is no excuse for it.

So he's okay to party but he had to miss Sunday's game and now today's (which he wouldn't even be cleared to play in now). This season is quickly becoming a disaster and i feel sorry for KD who was railroaded by this guy into coming here when he clearly isn't serious about wanting to lead this team and win. Leaders don't do this ****.


Whats wrong with celebrating family birthdays while on personal leave. if anything time with is family is probably a good thing as opposed to isolation in a time when you are distraught. i know during the white supremiacists terror attack on the capital the first thing i did was reach out to family.

ithe idea that you need to isolate because you are missing games to me doesnt make much sense. do what you need to get yourself in a place where you can focus on basketball again. and by all means spend time with family.


Nothing wrong with celebrating his sister's birthday, but he did so in violation of protocol. Just because he's on personal leave for whatever doesn't make him exempt.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#647 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

I honestly would forgive him for the party issue if it wasn't coupled by the fact that this guy is missing games. What he did was really stupid, and illegal for that matter because I don't think New Jersey allows parties indoors of that size at a public venue, but it would be a forgivable act if he wasn't throwing the entire team in disarray with his absence.

I mean the guy is out for "personal reasons" and yet he's on film partying with his sister at the same time that the Nets are playing OKC....there is no excuse for it.

So he's okay to party but he had to miss Sunday's game and now today's (which he wouldn't even be cleared to play in now). This season is quickly becoming a disaster and i feel sorry for KD who was railroaded by this guy into coming here when he clearly isn't serious about wanting to lead this team and win. Leaders don't do this ****.


Whats wrong with celebrating family birthdays while on personal leave. if anything time with is family is probably a good thing as opposed to isolation in a time when you are distraught. i know during the white supremiacists terror attack on the capital the first thing i did was reach out to family.

ithe idea that you need to isolate because you are missing games to me doesnt make much sense. do what you need to get yourself in a place where you can focus on basketball again. and by all means spend time with family.


Nothing wrong with celebrating his sister's birthday, but he did so in violation of protocol. Just because he's on personal leave for whatever doesn't make him exempt.


I see an argument for that, but if you read what i quoted, the criticism was for attending a family gathering while the nets have a game with OKC.

if he is on leave, he should be able to see family even if the nets have a game. if he is in violation of some covid protocol, then hey, i get that and can see criticism for it. but what im reading here and whats quoted seems like displaced anger for him not being on the floor. but to me thats cut and dry. Dude is missing time for legit personal reasons (ANY minority stepping away after that white terrorist attack and the lack of charges for a black dude being shot in the back AND breonna taylor not getting just to me is 100% justified) and being with family during it really deserves no criticism. sucks not to have him on the floor but these are troubling times bigger then basketball.
drchaos
Senior
Posts: 575
And1: 153
Joined: Feb 01, 2019
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#648 » by drchaos » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:19 pm

I am afraid that the league may not be as forgiving to Kyrie as I am.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#649 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:22 pm

drchaos wrote:I am afraid that the league may not be as forgiving to Kyrie as I am.


Based on other violations, he will probably miss a game or two, but in effect, he would have missed those games for personel reasons anyway, so nothing additional
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,813
And1: 141
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#650 » by Sharcm1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:I don’t even know what to say about this. If he’s on a personal leave then he needs to say now what it’s for. I’m sorry this is unacceptable.


He has told the team. its a private matter between kyrie and the team. he 100% owes nothing to the fans or national media. no one has an obligation to disclose personal leave/personal reasons for anything. if he wants to put it out there he can, but thats his business.



And I agreed with you u til he partied it up maskless while he is on his personal leave.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#651 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:31 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:I don’t even know what to say about this. If he’s on a personal leave then he needs to say now what it’s for. I’m sorry this is unacceptable.


He has told the team. its a private matter between kyrie and the team. he 100% owes nothing to the fans or national media. no one has an obligation to disclose personal leave/personal reasons for anything. if he wants to put it out there he can, but thats his business.



And I agreed with you u til he partied it up maskless while he is on his personal leave.


The mask thing is deserving of criticism. but the rest is still 100% kosher. not wearing a mask doesnt change that
User avatar
3pt_chucker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,537
And1: 812
Joined: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Practicing my 3's
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#652 » by 3pt_chucker » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:32 pm

These videos are not a good look assuming they are true. If Kyrie has been going around maskless at parties etc, without informing the team and teammates then there is no excusing that. The team would need to fine him in this case.

Hopefully he has been upfront to the team about what's going on and this won't be a huge problem because this could turn into a huge problem in the locker room.
Yearning for more 3's
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,813
And1: 141
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#653 » by Sharcm1 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:40 pm

You know had he not been on a personal leave from the team when this happened I would have been mad but not as mad about it. People do dumb stuff and everyone is locked up and wants some relief. It would have been more understanding.

But he has taken a leave from the team for personal reasons. And then did this. I defended his personal reasons. But now I’m questions on what those reasons are. I thought maybe a death or illness in his family, maybe he was depressed and needed time, maybe something else. But what ever his reason is he looks fine at the party doesn’t he. I can’t believe I defended him
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#654 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:42 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:These videos are not a good look assuming they are true. If Kyrie has been going around maskless at parties etc, without informing the team and teammates then there is no excusing that. The team would need to fine him in this case.

Hopefully he has been upfront to the team about what's going on and this won't be a huge problem because this could turn into a huge problem in the locker room.


I dont see how it could possibly cause any locker room issues. Kyrie's teammates have unanimously loved and supported him everywhere he has been even with media assassinations'.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#655 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:44 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:You know had he not been on a personal leave from the team when this happened I would have been mad but not as mad about it. People do dumb stuff and everyone is locked up and wants some relief. It would have been more understanding.


I feel the exact opposite. if he did this while playing games, its just irresponsible and opening himself up for a 1-2 game suspension.

But the dude is clearly having issues with what alot of us are struggling with after the news on breonna taylor, kenosha police, and the capitol. i have alot more sympathy for him being with family and lapsing on protocol in those circumstances.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,980
And1: 1,515
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#656 » by CalamityX12 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:40 pm

Never seen or heard top players or leaders ever taking time off for this... in a pandemic nevertheless....

Why shouldn't anyone else just take time off for personal reasons?

And the no masks? Really?..... we gonna see him in February at this rate
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#657 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:41 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Never seen or heard top players or leaders ever taking time off for this... in a pandemic nevertheless....

Why shouldn't anyone else just take time off for personal reasons?

And the no masks? Really?..... we gonna see him in February at this rate


you have never seen this before... never seen white supremists breach the capital either.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#658 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:43 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Whats wrong with celebrating family birthdays while on personal leave. if anything time with is family is probably a good thing as opposed to isolation in a time when you are distraught. i know during the white supremiacists terror attack on the capital the first thing i did was reach out to family.

ithe idea that you need to isolate because you are missing games to me doesnt make much sense. do what you need to get yourself in a place where you can focus on basketball again. and by all means spend time with family.


Nothing wrong with celebrating his sister's birthday, but he did so in violation of protocol. Just because he's on personal leave for whatever doesn't make him exempt.


I see an argument for that, but if you read what i quoted, the criticism was for attending a family gathering while the nets have a game with OKC.

if he is on leave, he should be able to see family even if the nets have a game. if he is in violation of some covid protocol, then hey, i get that and can see criticism for it. but what im reading here and whats quoted seems like displaced anger for him not being on the floor. but to me thats cut and dry. Dude is missing time for legit personal reasons (ANY minority stepping away after that white terrorist attack and the lack of charges for a black dude being shot in the back AND breonna taylor not getting just to me is 100% justified) and being with family during it really deserves no criticism. sucks not to have him on the floor but these are troubling times bigger then basketball.



We don't know his personal reasons. the one thing here is that people are just saying that he's been out because of what happened in Washington DC but we don't know that. To address your point, being Black myself, I would understand if anyone needs a mental health break, even though most of us have to wake up, go to work and live up to our obligations regardless of how depressed and anxious we are every day living in this racist hell hole. I get it....but I don't expect other people will, based on the backlash not only from outside the Nets community but from within.

However, yes you are right. My anger was over him partying in violation of protocol while supposedly on leave while the Nets were out on the floor playing. I can't lie, the optics here frustrated the hell out of me as a fan because here a lot of us were worried about him and boom, oh it looks like he's fine and he's out...partying in a club without a mask with a ton of people. It irked me for several reasons as I feel really strongly about people not taking Covid seriously having lost a long time family friend last year, so that also led to my anger.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#659 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:53 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Nothing wrong with celebrating his sister's birthday, but he did so in violation of protocol. Just because he's on personal leave for whatever doesn't make him exempt.


I see an argument for that, but if you read what i quoted, the criticism was for attending a family gathering while the nets have a game with OKC.

if he is on leave, he should be able to see family even if the nets have a game. if he is in violation of some covid protocol, then hey, i get that and can see criticism for it. but what im reading here and whats quoted seems like displaced anger for him not being on the floor. but to me thats cut and dry. Dude is missing time for legit personal reasons (ANY minority stepping away after that white terrorist attack and the lack of charges for a black dude being shot in the back AND breonna taylor not getting just to me is 100% justified) and being with family during it really deserves no criticism. sucks not to have him on the floor but these are troubling times bigger then basketball.



We don't know his personal reasons. the one thing here is that people are just saying that he's been out because of what happened in Washington DC but we don't know that. To address your point, being Black myself, I would understand if anyone needs a mental health break, even though most of us have to wake up, go to work and live up to our obligations regardless of how depressed and anxious we are every day living in this racist hell hole. I get it....but I don't expect other people will, based on the backlash not only from outside the Nets community but from within.

However, yes you are right. My anger was over him partying in violation of protocol while supposedly on leave while the Nets were out on the floor playing. I can't lie, the optics here frustrated the hell out of me as a fan because here a lot of us were worried about him and boom, oh it looks like he's fine and he's out...partying in a club without a mask with a ton of people. It irked me for several reasons as I feel really strongly about people not taking Covid seriously having lost a long time family friend last year, so that also led to my anger.


im with you 100% on the maskless. the rest i support kyrie... and anyone else that missed time for it.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 8,433
And1: 6,255
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#660 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 pm

CalamityX12 wrote:Never seen or heard top players or leaders ever taking time off for this... in a pandemic nevertheless....

Why shouldn't anyone else just take time off for personal reasons?

And the no masks? Really?..... we gonna see him in February at this rate


In fairness, its not like anyone has done anything like this before.

Remember when LeBron took off two weeks for no reason when he came back to Cleveland and just went to Miami?

This is not that different.

My issue is that if you really do need time off, don't spend it being irresponsible.

His sister is an idiot for having a big birthday bash in the first place. Shes 30 years old, why not show a little maturity and have a low key celebration?
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant

Return to Brooklyn Nets