ImageImageImageImageImage

Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,750
And1: 1,679
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#701 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:12 pm

I guess I'm the only one not worried about this Kyrie stuff at all. If he randomly decides to retire after 7 games of elite ball + a LONG offseason working to get healthy and get back + playing with one of his best friends + playing for the team he grew up watching, then he's really having a true mental breakdown. I don't even know how I could be mad at that. That would be concerning more than anything. Like a friend quitting his job and going completely off the grid.

If he comes back in a week or 2, we have one of the best guards in basketball and someone who always plays hard. Ya'll can turn into Celtic fans in the mean time. I'd rather wait.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#702 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:17 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one not worried about this Kyrie stuff at all. If he randomly decides to retire after 7 games of elite ball + a LONG offseason working to get healthy and get back + playing with one of his best friends + playing for the team he grew up watching, then he's really having a true mental breakdown. I don't even know how I could be mad at that. That would be concerning more than anything. Like a friend quitting his job and going completely off the grid.

If he comes back in a week or 2, we have one of the best guards in basketball and someone who always plays hard. Ya'll can turn into Celtic fans in the mean time. I'd rather wait.


:lol: being pissed that the team's star player just went AWOL to party and attend Zoom meetings during games is being a Celtic fan?

Okay. Yall will excuse anything I see.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#703 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:29 pm

strokerace wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Durant on Kyrie:

"“I won’t speak on Kyrie. I’ll let him do that for himself,” Durant said. “I’m sure you guys will see him soon whenever he comes back and we support him 100 percent."

I know its disappointing not having Kyrie on the floor. I love watching the dude play and am super disappointed too. but its important to see the bigger picture. Guys not pulling a Harden. he didnt bail on his team. he is dealing with personal stuff during a time of great distress in this country. His teammates clearly dont feel like he bailed on them and support him. The team is clearly ok with it at this point, verifying its an excused absence.

Everyone wants more info, but 1) Kyrie owes no one info on his personal life and 2) the team knows anything they say will be spun as negatively as possible.

sucks to wait, sucks not to know, but the anger in my opinion is very displaced. And I really dont get the "trade Kyrie for Harden" stuff as a response. Don't get me wrong, I still want Harden, but people who are like "kyrie is bailing on his team and is out partying" are clamoring for a trade for a guy who is ACTUALLY bailing on his team and ACTUALLY out partying

You are the very definition of a stan.


durant and levert seem to be kyrie stans as well
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,750
And1: 1,679
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#704 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:32 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one not worried about this Kyrie stuff at all. If he randomly decides to retire after 7 games of elite ball + a LONG offseason working to get healthy and get back + playing with one of his best friends + playing for the team he grew up watching, then he's really having a true mental breakdown. I don't even know how I could be mad at that. That would be concerning more than anything. Like a friend quitting his job and going completely off the grid.

If he comes back in a week or 2, we have one of the best guards in basketball and someone who always plays hard. Ya'll can turn into Celtic fans in the mean time. I'd rather wait.


:lol: being pissed that the team's star player just went AWOL to party and attend Zoom meetings during games is being a Celtic fan?

Okay. Yall will excuse anything I see.


Being pissed and some of the talk I'm seeing is completely different. You guys can cook though.
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,114
And1: 441
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#705 » by gigantes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Prokorov wrote:durant and levert seem to be kyrie stans as well

How much choice does KD really have but to stick with his friend at the moment? His whole mission here is arguably borked if he critiques Kyrie right now.

Similarly, how much choice did the team have but to declare an "excused leave" publicly? Again, the team rebuking Kyrie has a high chance of turning him against the org, which would be a disaster.

You seem to think these kinds of 'supportive statements' were made with complete goodwill and all the latitude in the world, when that's almost certainly not the case. The far more likely scenario is that these were both teeth-gritting statements, and both KD & the org have real issues with what Kyrie is doing right now.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#706 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Instead of the great win by the Nets last night, this is the narrative:

Read on Twitter


There is nothing that can be said here that paints Irving in a positive light. He has **** ed this team. He's not showing leadership, or anything. Leaders show up and do what they have to do. This guy just said **** it and some of you expect us to be cool with that?


I just view it completely different then you do.

1) I dont think he "**** the team." not at all. I dont think he but us in some catastrophic situation like Harden is with the Rockets where he wants out, refuses to try, and will only accept trades to a few teams. Kyrie is missing time to take care of himself. I'd want that for any player struggling.

2) Leaders show up is really simplifying things. Leaders certainly step out when warranted. Is KD a leader for missing all of last year? of course he was injured so thats ok. If a family member dies or gets COVID and they dont play to be with them does that make them "not a leader" for not showing up? There is obviously a scale. you dont skip out on work to go see the new Avengers movie. but mental health, emotional health, physical health, A global pandemic, A terror attack with tiest to racism, Kenosha police off the hook... where do you draw that line?

It is hard for me to tell someone that they are mentally or emotionally well enough to return to work and need to worry about ME the fan who tunes in for entertainment and not the THEM, the person going through the mental/emotional issues.

3) I do expect fans to be cool with it once they remove themselves emotionally from the situation of "i want my team to win, he isnt playing, i dont know why, and he eneds to play cause go nets". When you step back and see that the guy is out for personal reasons, realize thats private, sympathize with what the country is going through and black men are going through, its understandable and you wait for details before taking a dump on the guy like he is just doing what harden is

@
MrDollarBills wrote:
... you keep giving real world work examples where things are tough in the world but you are still expected to show up, but let me paint another real world work example for you:

-You are suffetring from depression and anxiety because of what just happened in Washington combined with Kenosha and the long list of social injurtice issues.
-You are having anxeity attacks, you let your employer know, right before your shift starts, you wont make it in for personal reasons
-when they press you further, you say, its anciety/stress around the capital terror attack

here is what happens next:
-you can use your time off or be granted an excused paid absence in the short term
-your employer is legally bound by workplace laws and HIPPA where they can not disclose the reason, other then personal issues
-you have ZERO obligation to the public to state why you are missing time from a legal standpoint
-You have ZERO obligation to your co-workers to tell them why you are out. and HR/your employer cant tell them beyond "personal reasons"

If you miss enough time, you are required to file FMLA (family medical leave) forms to miss extended time WITH pay, once verified by a medical professiional depending on state/insurance/contract.

You may WANT to tell your co-workers something (Kyrie texted them, they choose to keep it private)
you may WANT to issue a public statement if you are a person of celebrity... in general those usually come out later in the process. once treatment is given, a resolution is there, a decision is made, a plan is in place. Celebrities typically to come out and say "i had a drug relapse" or "i had an axiety attack". they usually wait until they are in a more stable, definitive place and say" ive entered rehab with the support of my family and friends after a relapse and hope you respect my privacy as i get better" or "For my entire life, ive suffered with anxiety, in the troulbling time in our country, i have struggled to keep what was once managable managable. im working with my family and counsellors to get to a place where i can focus on ___________ again"

This is early in the process. I'm sure Kyrie, once he is in a more definitive place, has talked to family and the team and has a plan, will address it. until then, he needs to take care of himself. fans should support him the way levert, durant, and the team is.

It is sad to think that fans would turn on a guy who is out for personal reasons instead of supporting him and hoping he sorts it out
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#707 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Durant on Kyrie:

"“I won’t speak on Kyrie. I’ll let him do that for himself,” Durant said. “I’m sure you guys will see him soon whenever he comes back and we support him 100 percent."

I know its disappointing not having Kyrie on the floor. I love watching the dude play and am super disappointed too. but its important to see the bigger picture. Guys not pulling a Harden. he didnt bail on his team. he is dealing with personal stuff during a time of great distress in this country. His teammates clearly dont feel like he bailed on them and support him. The team is clearly ok with it at this point, verifying its an excused absence.

Everyone wants more info, but 1) Kyrie owes no one info on his personal life and 2) the team knows anything they say will be spun as negatively as possible.

sucks to wait, sucks not to know, but the anger in my opinion is very displaced. And I really dont get the "trade Kyrie for Harden" stuff as a response. Don't get me wrong, I still want Harden, but people who are like "kyrie is bailing on his team and is out partying" are clamoring for a trade for a guy who is ACTUALLY bailing on his team and ACTUALLY out partying


Christ, I am the last person to defend Harden but AT LEAST HE SHOWED UP FOR WORK. Come on man, this is ridiculous. Kyrie is **** ing us over and you are in denial.


"showed up for work" in a physical sense sure. be he isnt trying, and based on what wall said he certainly isnt trying to help them win. id much rather Kyrie take care of himself then be on the floor submarining the teams chances of winning
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#708 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:01 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one not worried about this Kyrie stuff at all. If he randomly decides to retire after 7 games of elite ball + a LONG offseason working to get healthy and get back + playing with one of his best friends + playing for the team he grew up watching, then he's really having a true mental breakdown. I don't even know how I could be mad at that. That would be concerning more than anything. Like a friend quitting his job and going completely off the grid.

If he comes back in a week or 2, we have one of the best guards in basketball and someone who always plays hard. Ya'll can turn into Celtic fans in the mean time. I'd rather wait.


You arent the only one. Thats how I feel and really once you take off the fan glasses, its pretty clear. We have seen guys who maliciously dont give a Flying F and dog it and fake injuries. This isnt that, not by a long shot.

like you said, after all that if he decides to retire either due to anxiety/mental health or because he feels a higher purpose and a call to use his power/money/influence to help a bigger issue more power to him. id respect him even more.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#709 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:02 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I guess I'm the only one not worried about this Kyrie stuff at all. If he randomly decides to retire after 7 games of elite ball + a LONG offseason working to get healthy and get back + playing with one of his best friends + playing for the team he grew up watching, then he's really having a true mental breakdown. I don't even know how I could be mad at that. That would be concerning more than anything. Like a friend quitting his job and going completely off the grid.

If he comes back in a week or 2, we have one of the best guards in basketball and someone who always plays hard. Ya'll can turn into Celtic fans in the mean time. I'd rather wait.


:lol: being pissed that the team's star player just went AWOL to party and attend Zoom meetings during games is being a Celtic fan?

Okay. Yall will excuse anything I see.


Did he leave to attend a party or a zoom? or did he leave for personal reasons and he still lives life 24 hours a day while being out. if your out for personal reasons and cant be with family or work towards bettering the thing causing you anxiety, what are you supposed to do? like its better if he was playing playstation or building model airplanes?
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#710 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:04 pm

gigantes wrote:How much choice does KD really have but to stick with his friend at the moment? His whole mission here is arguably borked if he critiques Kyrie right now.


he has a ton of choice. he has had no issue being confrontational or going to the media about players and teammates before

Similarly, how much choice did the team have but to declare an "excused leave" publicly? Again, the team rebuking Kyrie has a high chance of turning him against the org, which would be a disaster.


they had plenty of choices. they could easily have gone the other route... but its a bad look for an organization to trash a player out for personal reasons/family reasons/mental health reasons.

You seem to think these kinds of 'supportive statements' were made with complete goodwill and all the latitude in the world, when that's almost certainly not the case. The far more likely scenario is that these were both teeth-gritting statements, and both KD & the org have real issues with what Kyrie is doing right now.


complete and utter speculation on your part.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 8,433
And1: 6,255
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#711 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:19 pm

I would rather have Kyrie take a few weeks off and continue to play at an elite level than Harden who goes to strip clubs, is out of shape and is straight up quitting on the floor.

Harden is no better than Kyrie. Hes actually worse in my view.

When Kyrie is on the floor he shows up. I just hope he can come back soon and keep playing the way he was.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#712 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:24 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I would rather have Kyrie take a few weeks off and continue to play at an elite level than Harden who goes to strip clubs, is out of shape and is straight up quitting on the floor.

Harden is no better than Kyrie. Hes actually worse in my view.

When Kyrie is on the floor he shows up. I just hope he can come back soon and keep playing the way he was.


This is how I feel....

Give me the guy who is taking time off to get healthy and then comes back and is exceptional over the guy who is there every day, sleeping on the job, bringing others down, and then shows to work drunk the next day or hungover
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 8,433
And1: 6,255
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#713 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:25 pm

As long as he comes back, I don't care that much.

If Kyrie doesn't come back next week then I officially will be worried.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
GTR11
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,560
And1: 1,126
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#714 » by GTR11 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:26 pm

I'll give him benefit of doubt right now. When you mentally ain't there and something else is going on it's hard to commit. However him partying at the club left a bad taste with me. He will never be fully supported by me again. This is not how you act.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,750
And1: 1,679
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#715 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:46 pm

Read on Twitter


JA is usually pretty honest with the media. He could've easily sidestepped this one if the players were mad.
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,114
And1: 441
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#716 » by gigantes » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:How much choice does KD really have but to stick with his friend at the moment? His whole mission here is arguably borked if he critiques Kyrie right now.

he has a ton of choice. he has had no issue being confrontational or going to the media about players and teammates before

Similarly, how much choice did the team have but to declare an "excused leave" publicly? Again, the team rebuking Kyrie has a high chance of turning him against the org, which would be a disaster.

they had plenty of choices. they could easily have gone the other route... but its a bad look for an organization to trash a player out for personal reasons/family reasons/mental health reasons.

You seem to think these kinds of 'supportive statements' were made with complete goodwill and all the latitude in the world, when that's almost certainly not the case. The far more likely scenario is that these were both teeth-gritting statements, and both KD & the org have real issues with what Kyrie is doing right now.

complete and utter speculation on your part.

Yeah, but at least it's reasonable speculation. As in, show me a similar situation where someone was doing this, and the reactions I'm describing would be completely ordinary and expected by the parties involved.

As for your other responses, I find them both naive and disingenuous. As if KD's situation here with Kyrie was like other situations in which he called people out, such as Draymond. As if the Nets don't have to walk on eggshells around someone like Kyrie, making damn well sure they don't needlessly upset him by making a public statement even a little bit critical.

Maybe the situation can be reeled back in, and hopefully we can look at this and shrug later in the year, but you are being, just... unbelievable right now.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#717 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:09 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:As long as he comes back, I don't care that much.

If Kyrie doesn't come back next week then I officially will be worried.


Yup, it hasn't really been long in the grand scheme of things. when you speculate what it is... be it anxiety, depression, or just a personal struggle that you are playing a game for a living when you could focus 100% on fighting social injustice.

Asking someone to have figured out depression, anxiety, or a conflict in if they are doing right as a person in a week or so is kind of unreasonable.

Also, for those here or on the GB saying "there is no way the dude is struggling when he is smiling and partying" need to take a long look at the list of celebreties who killed themselves. Robin Williams, Anthony Bourdain, etc... these people all appeared happy. Not saying Kyrie is suicidal, i dont think he is, but often the face of depression, axiety, and struggle is not recognizable on the surface.

Also, about the zoom thing... none of you have ever gone to the doctor or therapist and then had a conversation or meeting or done anythig besides being alone after that doc appointment? to me the criticism of the zoom thing is the most absurd

If it goes another couple weeks with no word id be worried he is make a life change and dedicating himself to fighting for minorities and against social injustice, which would suck as a fan but id respect the hell out of him for it
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#718 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:12 pm

gigantes wrote:Yeah, but at least it's reasonable speculation.
assuming all of his teammates are lying is "resonable speculation" but assuming they are telling the truth, when they clearly have a strong past bond with him, is not reasomable?

As for your other responses, I find them both naive and disingenuous. As if KD's situation here with Kyrie was like other situations in which he called people out, such as Draymond. As if the Nets don't have to walk on eggshells around someone like Kyrie, making damn well sure they don't needlessly upset him by making a public statement even a little bit critical.


you are twisting yourself into pretlzes to paint things how you want them to, instead of listening and taking it right from the horses mouth

Maybe the situation can be reeled back in, and hopefully we can look at this and shrug later in the year, but you are being, just... unbelievable right now.


there is nothing to reel in. people may end up looking really silly if they bashed a guy struggling with an anxiety disorder or something for missing a few weeks to get some help.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#719 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:15 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Read on Twitter


JA is usually pretty honest with the media. He could've easily sidestepped this one if the players were mad.


Add Allen to Levert and Durant as guys who say they know, support him, and are brothers.

but i guess they are all lying and hate him.... just like when the media told us all his boston teammates hated him but trip over themselves at every chance to defend him, support him, or show him on-court love and give him hugs/dap.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Official Welcome Home Kyrie Thread 

Post#720 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:30 pm

Time to get rid of this ass hole.

Return to Brooklyn Nets