ImageImageImageImageImage

Welcome KD! - The Official Kevin Durant Thread

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#321 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:52 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:There's minimal flexibility with this roster, and it should be largely similar next year. You need to at least give it a low expectations dry run. I think the dream scenario is getting into the 6/7 spot, and having all of the size in the 1/4/5 (Milwuakee/Toronto/Philly). I'd have some confidence matching up with Boston & Miami if we have a healthy KD & Kyrie.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.


Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:


i dont think it makes sense to play hm... but opponent is irrelevant to that. no D can slow durant
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#322 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:52 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:I always expected KD to play this season and still do. A normal recovery time table was March. As long as Kyrie is healthy, and we're a 7 seed or better, we should see a minutes restricted KD.


I would rather let that Achilles heal as much as possible
That's not how it works...


I know, but do we want to really play him now? This season is a wash, we are not even remotely prepared to compete against the Bucks. I'd rather put Durant out there with a roster that is ready to win now. Marks has some work to do in the summer.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,022
And1: 369
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#323 » by gigantes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:27 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:
TheNetsFan wrote:There's minimal flexibility with this roster, and it should be largely similar next year. You need to at least give it a low expectations dry run. I think the dream scenario is getting into the 6/7 spot, and having all of the size in the 1/4/5 (Milwuakee/Toronto/Philly). I'd have some confidence matching up with Boston & Miami if we have a healthy KD & Kyrie.

Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.


Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:

Yes, absolutely, for the multiple reasons I mentioned.

Some PT is better than no PT. If he's ready, he's ready. You're rarely going to have a perfect scenario, so why not?

Next season, something's probably going to be broken as well. Want to call that one a wash and wait for the season after that? When does this thinking end...?

Prokorov wrote:we invested 120 million in KD. he had to miss most of one year. this is probably the best chance we will have to win a title in the next 10-20 years.. I think you go a billion percent cautious and hold him out to next year even if he is 110% ready before the playoffs.

if he got hurt again, his career could be over or he could become a role player. dobt mess around when you for the first time in franchise history have a top 2 player

He could already be a role player, or reduced player, due to post-injury effects and age, and we simply don't know it yet. The penny has to drop at some point.

Even if next season or two are our best chance in the next 10-20yrs (which I don't really believe, anyway), it still doesn't mean it's a great chance. The league is full of beastly, highly-tuned teams just destroying lesser teams. The chances of a healthy KD & Durant, plus the oddball collection of parts that we have rising to that level is only speculative. The chances of both rising to that level and then being a decisive level above the others seems pretty remote at the moment.

We went from young, hard-working, overachieving, egalitarian team built on good fundamentals to a team that everyone's all anxious about playing levels and levels above that, in the space of only a season or two. We're not even as good as last season's team, arguably. If you can't enjoy the process, what's the point?

EDIT: KD could wind up playing for Team USA as well, so there's another opportunity for existential angst. :P
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#324 » by 7footMONSTER » Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:20 pm

gigantes wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.


Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:

Yes, absolutely, for the multiple reasons I mentioned.

Some PT is better than no PT. If he's ready, he's ready. You're rarely going to have a perfect scenario, so why not?

Next season, something's probably going to be broken as well. Want to call that one a wash and wait for the season after that? When does this thinking end...?

Prokorov wrote:we invested 120 million in KD. he had to miss most of one year. this is probably the best chance we will have to win a title in the next 10-20 years.. I think you go a billion percent cautious and hold him out to next year even if he is 110% ready before the playoffs.

if he got hurt again, his career could be over or he could become a role player. dobt mess around when you for the first time in franchise history have a top 2 player

He could already be a role player, or reduced player, due to post-injury effects and age, and we simply don't know it yet. The penny has to drop at some point.

Even if next season or two are our best chance in the next 10-20yrs (which I don't really believe, anyway), it still doesn't mean it's a great chance. The league is full of beastly, highly-tuned teams just destroying lesser teams. The chances of a healthy KD & Durant, plus the oddball collection of parts that we have rising to that level is only speculative. The chances of both rising to that level and then being a decisive level above the others seems pretty remote at the moment.

We went from young, hard-working, overachieving, egalitarian team built on good fundamentals to a team that everyone's all anxious about playing levels and levels above that, in the space of only a season or two. We're not even as good as last season's team, arguably. If you can't enjoy the process, what's the point?

EDIT: KD could wind up playing for Team USA as well, so there's another opportunity for existential angst. :P


So on a team that’s already struggling with consistency, you want to drastically shake up the roster and rotations right before the playoffs just so you can collect some data?
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,022
And1: 369
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#325 » by gigantes » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:53 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:So on a team that’s already struggling with consistency, you want to drastically shake up the roster and rotations right before the playoffs just so you can collect some data?

What's the aim of this season, anyway?

Does this look like a team that can even make it out of the first round?

Who says "drastically shake up the roster and rotations," anyway? Isn't it an option to work in Durant in limited situations?
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#326 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 pm

gigantes wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeah, this is what I'm thinking. If it's possible to safely see how Durant integrates with the roster, I see no reason not to get that useful data.

If Durant is given the go-ahead by medical professionals, and he feels comfortable doing it, there's no legit reason for further rest and rehabilitation. He will already have completed all that. Yes, he could injure himself again of course, but that's true of any player at any time. No point in psyching yourself out over something like that. No point in needlessly building up rust, either.

I also think that KD (like Irving) has the potential to set an example and help teach younger players about the finer points of the game. That's probably a whole lot easier when you're actually playing. This has been a frustrating season, sure, but there's still some opportunities to test some things out, learn from what's not working, and get a jump on next season. KD coming back early could assist with all that.

Not to mention, there's probably a solid chance that next season presents unexpected problems and frustrations as well. Might as well make the best of whatever we have, when we can.


Does it make sense to you have KD come back and play in a playoff series against the Raptors, Celtics, or Heat?

So you want your star player recovering from an Achilles injury whose been out a whole year to get maybe 10-15 games with his new teammates and then go straight into playing in the playoffs facing the best defensive teams in the league so that you can “collect some data”? :roll:

Yes, absolutely, for the multiple reasons I mentioned.

Some PT is better than no PT. If he's ready, he's ready. You're rarely going to have a perfect scenario, so why not?

Next season, something's probably going to be broken as well. Want to call that one a wash and wait for the season after that? When does this thinking end...?

Prokorov wrote:we invested 120 million in KD. he had to miss most of one year. this is probably the best chance we will have to win a title in the next 10-20 years.. I think you go a billion percent cautious and hold him out to next year even if he is 110% ready before the playoffs.

if he got hurt again, his career could be over or he could become a role player. dobt mess around when you for the first time in franchise history have a top 2 player

He could already be a role player, or reduced player, due to post-injury effects and age, and we simply don't know it yet. The penny has to drop at some point.

Even if next season or two are our best chance in the next 10-20yrs (which I don't really believe, anyway), it still doesn't mean it's a great chance. The league is full of beastly, highly-tuned teams just destroying lesser teams. The chances of a healthy KD & Durant, plus the oddball collection of parts that we have rising to that level is only speculative. The chances of both rising to that level and then being a decisive level above the others seems pretty remote at the moment.

We went from young, hard-working, overachieving, egalitarian team built on good fundamentals to a team that everyone's all anxious about playing levels and levels above that, in the space of only a season or two. We're not even as good as last season's team, arguably. If you can't enjoy the process, what's the point?

EDIT: KD could wind up playing for Team USA as well, so there's another opportunity for existential angst. :P


I will be livid if either Irving or Durant play for team usa this summer. Absolutely not.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
GTR11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 995
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#327 » by GTR11 » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:00 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20
On the bright side he's doing some work.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#328 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:19 pm

Read on Twitter


ahem
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#329 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:46 pm

I can not wait for the KD era
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#330 » by 7footMONSTER » Wed Feb 19, 2020 5:48 pm

Read on Twitter
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#331 » by 7footMONSTER » Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:10 pm

User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#332 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:32 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter


That's not important.

the name of the interviewer, is what we need to know.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
3pt_chucker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,221
And1: 702
Joined: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Practicing my 3's
       

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#333 » by 3pt_chucker » Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter


That's not important.

the name of the interviewer, is what we need to know.


Ahhhh, a man of exquisite taste. Taylor Rooks is her name.
Yearning for more 3's
User avatar
Stone
Starter
Posts: 2,115
And1: 345
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Picking dimes up off the floor
 

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#334 » by Stone » Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:52 pm

Whoa, ...she is amazing. There clearly is chemistry or a connection between them. Good on you KD. Don't get friend zoned!!!
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#335 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:12 am

3pt_chucker wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter


That's not important.

the name of the interviewer, is what we need to know.


Ahhhh, a man of exquisite taste. Taylor Rooks is her name.


lord have mercy. :o
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#336 » by 7footMONSTER » Thu Mar 5, 2020 11:43 am

User avatar
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
Posts: 20,596
And1: 4,992
Joined: Jul 14, 2010

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#337 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Mar 5, 2020 5:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Read on Twitter


That's not important.

the name of the interviewer, is what we need to know.

There was a twinkle in his eye. :lol:
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,960
And1: 8,942
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#338 » by Paradise » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm

Read on Twitter
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#339 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:04 pm

Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter


That first step looks crisp. Nic better get used to that punishment.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
Posts: 33,820
And1: 11,546
Joined: Jun 29, 2005
       

Re: Welcome KD!!! 

Post#340 » by Rich Rane » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:30 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Read on Twitter


That first step looks crisp. Nic better get used to that punishment.


Just saw this. It's tough to look for the pull up, the first step and drive then pull up, or the blow by. Kinda rough defensive assignment for anyone, especially with a lot of room for Durant to work with in a 4-on-4, especially for a rookie.

While it's nice to see Durant progressing very well after that injury, it's also encouraging that Nic is getting tested hard.

Return to Brooklyn Nets