ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Fans, Is Kenny Atkinson ready for this???

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MikeTheKid
Head Coach
And1: 4,215

Nets Fans, Is Kenny Atkinson ready for this??? 

Post#1 » by MikeTheKid » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:08 pm

Coming in peace and super happy to see some seismic changes in the league but with KD and Kyrie coming is Kenny Atkinson ready for what's about to come or will he be ran over by KD and Kyrie?
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets Fans, Is Kenny Atkinson ready for this??? 

Post#2 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:10 pm

Our players so far have really respected Kenny, he has a great rep with players. The only one who didn't, was Faried, as he complained about his playing time (and then did the same in Houston later). Kenny benched D Lo a lot, especially late in games, but D Lo still has a great relationship with Kenny. Obviously handling Kyrie & KD is a lot different, they're established superstars. But Kenny has always had a great reputation among players, so I think it should be fine.
Nebkreb11
Sophomore
And1: 48

Post#3 » by Nebkreb11 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:12 pm

He's had zero issues with players, and not in a 'sucking up' way. He challenged DLo to be better, and got results. He's respected around the league.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,571

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:16 pm

Kenny makes players better and he also listens to them and communicates. This is a non issue.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#5 » by MGrand15 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:18 pm

MikeTheKid wrote:Coming in peace and super happy to see some seismic changes in the league but with KD and Kyrie coming is Kenny Atkinson ready for what's about to come or will he be ran over by KD and Kyrie?

Kenny is a positive, creative, super hard working coach who everyone loves. Nick Nurse wasn't a guy who you'd expect to be a championship coach but he's similar in style to Kenny. He's willing to experiment. Willing to admit he's wrong. He REALLY cares for the guys on the team. He cried when DLo was named an all star.

With that said, KDs injury significantly lowers expectations. He'll have time to settle into the limelight before people expect us to contend.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#6 » by jbeachboy » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm

kenny , dont blow it!
Mosdefinition
Senior
And1: 116

Post#7 » by Mosdefinition » Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:20 pm

he better be ready

at least he gets a season to figure out kyrie and then figure out kd should make it easier
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#8 » by 3pt_chucker » Mon Jul 1, 2019 5:47 am

Kenny is a very player friendly coach an is in tune with analytics and has coaching staff set up to get the best out of players.

I'm mostly worried about his in game adjustments and defensive set up.

I think he'll be fine. Talent is a much bigger issue in the NBA and we have that now.
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#9 » by jbeachboy » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:03 am

this is the least of our worries for now.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#10 » by kamaze » Mon Jul 1, 2019 6:12 am

He's got plenty of time he'll be fine. He's a good guy.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/MiniatureJealousFlyingfish-size_restricted.gif
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Mon Jul 1, 2019 10:16 am

kenny is an elite coach.... and he is a true leader o men in that he is in it with them not just being demanding of them. he welcomes all personalities and looks to help everyone achieve their goals and be the best he can be.

Kenny should have been coach of the year last season. he will win it soon
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#12 » by GTR11 » Mon Jul 1, 2019 11:36 am

Remember when D.Lo said he challenged player along with him and say what can they provide? That what Doc Rivers did big 3 in Boston. I have great feeling he can challenge them to take next step.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#13 » by gigantes » Tue Jul 2, 2019 1:38 am

MikeTheKid wrote:Coming in peace and super happy to see some seismic changes in the league but with KD and Kyrie coming is Kenny Atkinson ready for what's about to come or will he be ran over by KD and Kyrie?

Other than Durant's achilles, this is the big, honking question for me.

Will the Nets' enviable professionalism from top to bottom (see the recent summer intern's post for examples) be enough to absorb and handle whatever headcasiness these two guys bring?

Will something go wrong no matter what, somewhere along the line, causing hurt feelings and disenchantment on one or both of their parts?

Will all such potential problems be minimized, but at the cost of team unity? I.e., "the rest of us guys are busting our asses to be exemplary players, meanwhile these new hotshots get away with stuff we wouldn't dream of, while still getting treated with kid gloves?"

I have no idea how this will all turn out, and I don't think anyone else does either, but at the very least I trust it will be a rather fascinating experiment and a good, solid test of the system Sean Marks has painstakingly put in to place. Full disclosure-- I'm frankly kind of bitter about the loss of DLo, but I'm getting over it, and warming up to the new potential here, little by little.

In any case, I think as long as you look at the Nets as a dangerous team with lots of possibilities, you'll be in good shape. If there's a way to go wrong, it's probably in assuming that things will work out any particular way, and that the Nets will necessarily accomplish certain goals, like winning the title. I think a better expectation is that the team might get rocked or disappointed here and there, but that they will stay professional, hardworking and positive no matter what happens.

That may be a lot to ask of some orgs, but I have genuine confidence of such with Marks, Atkinson & co. We're blessed in that way, honestly.
Lamak
Assistant Coach
And1: 704

Post#14 » by Lamak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:33 pm

I think he will bring the best out of Kyrie and be the key to not letting chemistry get out of control
Brooklyn Nets

Return to Brooklyn Nets