Moderators: jerseyjac, Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 4,795

Re: Around the NBA 2019-20 Official Thread 

Post#21 » by NyCeEvO » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:12 am

Prokorov wrote:
Claud wrote:Anybody else feel people are overrating Philly?

They overpaid Harris 5/180 and Horford 4/109 while not adding a closer to their roster since they lost Jimmy Butler.

They are asking Simmons to be THAT guy that brings you home during the last 3 minutes of a game but my man shoots FT worse than Shaq and doesn't even look to shoot the ball. Those guys are easy to guard in today's NBA. We've just seen during the last playoffs where Butler was the one handling the ball for Philly and Simmons was told to clear out and now he's your closer?

Also losing JJ kills their spacing even more since Simmons/Horford/Embiid aren't exactly good shooters. Everyone's acting like Horford is Dirk when the stats says he's just an average shooter overall.

Josh Richardson is a solid 2 way wing that can do a bit everything but he's not the closer Butler is and definitely not as good as JJ creating space in the offense.

Don't get me wrong, they still have a lot of talent and expect them to be one of the better teams of the conference but they aren't built for a championship IMO.

reddick was a huge loss and i love tobias but at SF he has a ton less value. butler to richardson is a big downgrade and horford helps defensively but hurts on offense. they could be an elite defensive team but i think durability and shooting are both big concerns now

I agree 100%, especially with the last sentence.

What makes that team dangerous is their potential on the defensive end. On paper, they look quite formidable. They have the tools to be a very strong half court defense. But even then, I think an uptempo team with multiple scorers (ahem) could give them trouble.

Losing Redick is a big deal offensively. He’s a floor spacer and mini-microwave. It doesn’t matter what offensive set you run; just have Redick run around a few screens and he’ll probably get a good look at the basket half of the time.

Kawhi is the best 2-way player in the game and on his own level, but Jimmy is on the tier just below that. We saw in the playoffs how badly his scoring ability was needed alongside Embiid’s interior play.

Unless Tobias really improves his ISO ability, consistent, reliable scoring could be hard to come by in the playoffs.

Kyrie/Horford PnRs were lethal since you couldn’t leave Kyrie on the drive and Al is a more than capable 3pt shooting big. Until Simmons develops a jumper, you can funnel him to the paint and still have time to contest a Horford jumpshot should Ben pass it back to him.

Embiid doesn’t like taking 3s, but for the sake of his game, he needs to become more proficient. The more of a threat he is from 3, the more free and deadly he can be on the inside.

I wouldn’t put them as title contenders yet but I could see them potentially making the conference finals.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 10,102

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Tue Jul 9, 2019 10:16 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Claud wrote:Anybody else feel people are overrating Philly?

They overpaid Harris 5/180 and Horford 4/109 while not adding a closer to their roster since they lost Jimmy Butler.

They are asking Simmons to be THAT guy that brings you home during the last 3 minutes of a game but my man shoots FT worse than Shaq and doesn't even look to shoot the ball. Those guys are easy to guard in today's NBA. We've just seen during the last playoffs where Butler was the one handling the ball for Philly and Simmons was told to clear out and now he's your closer?

Also losing JJ kills their spacing even more since Simmons/Horford/Embiid aren't exactly good shooters. Everyone's acting like Horford is Dirk when the stats says he's just an average shooter overall.

Josh Richardson is a solid 2 way wing that can do a bit everything but he's not the closer Butler is and definitely not as good as JJ creating space in the offense.

Don't get me wrong, they still have a lot of talent and expect them to be one of the better teams of the conference but they aren't built for a championship IMO.

reddick was a huge loss and i love tobias but at SF he has a ton less value. butler to richardson is a big downgrade and horford helps defensively but hurts on offense. they could be an elite defensive team but i think durability and shooting are both big concerns now

I agree 100%, especially with the last sentence.

What makes that team dangerous is their potential on the defensive end. On paper, they look quite formidable. They have the tools to be a very strong half court defense. But even then, I think an uptempo team with multiple scorers (ahem) could give them trouble.

Losing Redick is a big deal offensively. He’s a floor spacer and mini-microwave. It doesn’t matter what offensive set you run; just have Redick run around a few screens and he’ll probably get a good look at the basket half of the time.

Kawhi is the best 2-way player in the game and on his own level, but Jimmy is on the tier just below that. We saw in the playoffs how badly his scoring ability was needed alongside Embiid’s interior play.

Unless Tobias really improves his ISO ability, consistent, reliable scoring could be hard to come by in the playoffs.

Kyrie/Horford PnRs were lethal since you couldn’t leave Kyrie on the drive and Al is a more than capable 3pt shooting big. Until Simmons develops a jumper, you can funnel him to the paint and still have time to contest a Horford jumpshot should Ben pass it back to him.

Embiid doesn’t like taking 3s, but for the sake of his game, he needs to become more proficient. The more of a threat he is from 3, the more free and deadly he can be on the inside.

I wouldn’t put them as title contenders yet but I could see them potentially making the conference finals.

the sixers only won 51 games last year. i dont see them as some 55-60 win team and think its more likely they win 45 then 55. they arent built for the regular season. simmons and embiid sitll have that tanking "iDGAF" type aura to them especially in the regular season. losing butler wont help with that edge. horford doesnt fit as well as butler/reddick. and embiid will surely be managed.

id say the nets, with health, should finish with a better record
Kswiss wrote:Go watch a D'Angelo Russell highlight tape and tell me with a straight face the kid looks like a NBA prospect. I just can't see him in the league in three years.

Timestamp: July 21, 2017
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 937

Post#23 » by Keith Van Horn » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:40 am

Russ and Harden back together whaaaat!

Interested to see how they play off each other

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
nycefnl wrote: Summer league is proving how little they have in Jarrett Allen too....he's a wasted pick.

July 2018
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 2,149

Post#24 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:02 am

Wow, what is Houston doing?
PD28 wrote:Retirement Bod Dudley FTW!
3pt_chucker
Analyst
And1: 449

Post#25 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:40 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:Wow, what is Houston doing?

Rockets are handcuffed on getting better.

Westbrook is an upgrade over CP3 at this point in their careers. CP3 also wanted out.

Morey loves making moves for stars and doesn't give a f*** about draft picks.
Yearning for more 3's
DarkXaero
General Manager
And1: 1,801

Post#26 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:31 am

Terrible move for Houston.
Papi_swav
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,582

Post#27 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 am

DarkXaero wrote:Terrible move for Houston.

I don't hate the move. CP3 is old and him and Harden didn't end on good terms, it's all down hill for CP now at his age. Westbrook still in his prime and besties with Harden, played good together back in OKC. I don't like the fit much but 2 top players together and with all the dynamic duos in the league now, I think you have to take the chance because they not winning anything with CP. I just don't think D'Antoni knows what to do with both of them. WB has to change his whole game and become more of a slasher.
Lamak
Analyst
And1: 517

Post#28 » by Lamak » Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:27 pm

I'm interested to see how much injuries and load management play a part for teams this seasons since a lot of "stars" are getting older.
Brooklyn Nets

Return to Brooklyn Nets