ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Extend LeVert ($52.5 million/3 years)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Nets Extend LeVert ($52.5 million/3 years) 

Post#21 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:01 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:See , this is exactly what I've BEEN saying, sign this dude up now before he becomes an All star and we have to full max him out. Marks is a genius. I would of tried to get him for a little cheaper given his injury history and he hasn't been as consistent yet but I can't complain too much about this, I know Levert will break out some time soon and this will be his year. Now we don't have to worry about his contract situation after this year, niceeee. Now extend Allen and Prince.

Well, we can't extend Jarrett until July 1st, 2020.

As for Taurean, I think he'll have to prove himself here before we offer an extension. That means next summer, he'll be an RFA. He needs to improve as a defender and rebounder while keeping his 3PT% high, in order to lock down his role with us. I'm looking forward to Prince in a prove-it year.

i think it still smart to extend prince if you can do so on a team friendly deal. next year KD is back full time. if we have 4 guys (Dinwiddie, harris, levert, prince) all 24-27 and on friendly contracts we can make a push for a 3rd star
Trader_Joe
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 3,948

Post#22 » by Trader_Joe » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:54 pm

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:See , this is exactly what I've BEEN saying, sign this dude up now before he becomes an All star and we have to full max him out. Marks is a genius. I would of tried to get him for a little cheaper given his injury history and he hasn't been as consistent yet but I can't complain too much about this, I know Levert will break out some time soon and this will be his year. Now we don't have to worry about his contract situation after this year, niceeee. Now extend Allen and Prince.

As for Taurean, I think he'll have to prove himself here before we offer an extension. That means next summer, he'll be an RFA. He needs to improve as a defender and rebounder while keeping his 3PT% high, in order to lock down his role with us. I'm looking forward to Prince in a prove-it year.

i think it still smart to extend prince if you can do so on a team friendly deal. next year KD is back full time. if we have 4 guys (Dinwiddie, harris, levert, prince) all 24-27 and on friendly contracts we can make a push for a 3rd star

It would have to be super team friendly considering we haven't even seen him play a game yet in this system and we still have re-sign Harris. Plus we also have to start thinking roster spots as we have a lot of guys already signed and draft picks.

Irving / Dinwiddie / Pinson*
LeVert / Nwaba*
Harris / Musa
Durant / Kurucs
Allen / Jordan / Claxton
*NG
Temple - TO
+
2020 Philly 1st
Maybe 2020 GSW #1
Tax MLE
Mikhail Prokhorov wrote:My posse usually needs another vacation after a vacation with me.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#23 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 pm

Prokorov wrote:i think it still smart to extend prince if you can do so on a team friendly deal. next year KD is back full time. if we have 4 guys (Dinwiddie, harris, levert, prince) all 24-27 and on friendly contracts we can make a push for a 3rd star

I see the benefit in extending guys like Prince on attractive deals. It helps manage the future cap implications, and cost-controlled, established, young, proven veterans are great tradebait just in case a 3rd superstar becomes available. However as we've stated many times, these FOK's are likely staying as long as KD is here.

I too would like to lock up Taurean now, but I don't feel our FO will do so "sight unseen" in our system. There's little to gain in parsing words over what they *should* do; we are in agreement there.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel there is a range that both fits your description as a "team-friendly" deal, AND is something that you expect Prince would accept? If so, what is that range in your opinion?
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#24 » by MGrand15 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:18 pm

Prince will definitely have to wait for his extension. Outside of whether he fits are system fit, the team doesn't know anything about his character. There's a good chance he's shuffled in and out of the starting lineup. He's probably going to play more PF here than he ever did in Atlanta. We need to see how he responds to that. He played most of his minutes next to John Collins and a legit center like Dedmon, Plumlee, or Len. We're going to need him show he can bang with 4s and help rebound.

Glad we locked up LeVert at a reasonable price. I don't really believe in extensions unless it's super team friendly and I think this falls into that category. We've seen what LeVert is capable of. The team knows all about his character and leadership. Maybe injuries end up holding him back but if he's healthy, he's not going to underachieve. Talent, work ethic, BBIQ, effort level, athleticism - it's all there.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#25 » by gigantes » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeap, looks like the Nets are pretty much everything the Knicks ever wanted to be at this point. Maybe time to do a name swap...? :P

Nah, they can keep their weird ass, corny name.

Hey, let's be magnanimous, here! They're allowed to call themselves "Nets, Junior" or "WannabeNets" if they get desperate enough. Call it a futures option.

ecuhus1981 wrote:...I too would like to lock up Taurean now, but I don't feel our FO will do so "sight unseen" in our system. There's little to gain in parsing words over what they *should* do; we are in agreement there...

I had to look up the meaning of that little phrase, just now. Some bookish hyperbole, I guess. I rarely hear it, but I think I like it. :)
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#26 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:27 am

Trader_Joe wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Well, we can't extend Jarrett until July 1st, 2020.

It would have to be super team friendly considering we haven't even seen him play a game yet in this system and we still have re-sign Harris. Plus we also have to start thinking roster spots as we have a lot of guys already signed and draft picks.

Irving / Dinwiddie / Pinson*
LeVert / Nwaba*
Harris / Musa
Durant / Kurucs
Allen / Jordan / Claxton
*NG
Temple - TO
+
2020 Philly 1st
Maybe 2020 GSW #1
Tax MLE

prince has a spot... if roster spots are low you look to kick guys like nwamba, pinson, or musa to the curb
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#27 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:28 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:i think it still smart to extend prince if you can do so on a team friendly deal. next year KD is back full time. if we have 4 guys (Dinwiddie, harris, levert, prince) all 24-27 and on friendly contracts we can make a push for a 3rd star

I see the benefit in extending guys like Prince on attractive deals. It helps manage the future cap implications, and cost-controlled, established, young, proven veterans are great tradebait just in case a 3rd superstar becomes available. However as we've stated many times, these FOK's are likely staying as long as KD is here.

I too would like to lock up Taurean now, but I don't feel our FO will do so "sight unseen" in our system. There's little to gain in parsing words over what they *should* do; we are in agreement there.

Just out of curiosity, do you feel there is a range that both fits your description as a "team-friendly" deal, AND is something that you expect Prince would accept? If so, what is that range in your opinion?

3/42 works for me
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,247

Post#28 » by Papi_swav » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:14 am

Prokorov wrote:

i think the 3 years instead of 4 is worth more then saving 2 million or so. In that regards Marks did really well

I would rather it had been 4 years honestly.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#29 » by Papi_swav » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:21 am

Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Levert, Din, Allen, 1sts for KAT or Gobert? :crazy:
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#30 » by kamaze » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:26 am

gigantes wrote:
Karate Diop wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Wow, they got him for peanuts. Unless he gets hurt or bombs out this year, some team was going to max him or damn close. Amazing value.

Given his injury concerns and overall nunbers, you really think so? I'm not so sure... Regardless, I'm happy he's back, on paper he can be the perfect complement to Kyrie.

This is a perfectly reasonable take, indicative of what NBA contracts would typically look like with a higher level of sanity IMO.

LeVert's going to be either a really nice bargain or not, depending on his ability to stay healthy. Kyrie's in a similar place IMO. Hopefully all goes well with them both, but the only guarantee is that they get paid, regardless.

You also have to think that Prokhy helping with the Brooklyn move and stadium, and Marks investing as much as he did in staff and culture are now leading to some serious paybacks in terms of bargain contracts and the league's players wanting to play here. What went around, came back.

Now it's almost an unfair dream scenario, altho of course preceded by years of muddling through a wasteland. (sorry, not sorry)

Yeap, looks like the Nets are pretty much everything the Knicks ever wanted to be at this point. Maybe time to do a name swap...? :P

Are you smoking crack? We are the better team idc about what the people support what matters is who's better and we're the best team in the city now and always will be. Things can stay the same who cares I root for the good team not the more popular one.

Spoiler:
They've been the worst team in the league the past decade they've lost 50 games for 5 seasons straight and you want to be called that?
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
gigantes
Starter

Post#31 » by gigantes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:45 am

kamaze wrote:
gigantes wrote:Yeap, looks like the Nets are pretty much everything the Knicks ever wanted to be at this point. Maybe time to do a name swap...? :P

Are you smoking crack? We are the better team idc about what the people support what matters is who's better and we're the best team in the city now and always will be. Things can stay the same who cares I root for the good team not the more popular one.

Spoiler:
They've been the worst team in the league the past decade they've lost 50 games for 5 seasons straight and you want to be called that?

Er... my dude, I recommend you take a couple deep breaths, be like Big Daddy and slow down.

The premise of my quip was the idea that Knicks fans seem to talk a lot of smaque and consider themselves the superior NYC team no matter what the on-court results. It's always "water under the bridge," and "just wait til next year!," you feel me?

Given that, I 100% meant that as a taunt towards Knicks fans, not something I'd ever personally be interested in. Then, posting this in our own forums as I did, I also meant it as a kind of inside joke. Because I don't have any real interest in wandering over to Mos Eisley (Star Wars reference) and getting in to pointless battles over there.

Finally, I added the little ":P" in an attempt to indicate jocularity.

I didn't really think I'd need to explain the quip, but here we are.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#32 » by kamaze » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:08 pm

The back and forth with Knix fans needs to stop we're the better team. There's no need to battle with them especially on the NETS board. If you want to argue with them take it to the source their board. They're fans are not here why are they on your mind? GO NETS!!
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#33 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

i think the 3 years instead of 4 is worth more then saving 2 million or so. In that regards Marks did really well

I would rather it had been 4 years honestly.

nah... too much risk. you are better off just matching a max deal on a new contract if in 3 years he is an all-star. having 18M in dead hurts alot more then 3 years of a vlue contract followed by giving him market value as an all-star.

much more risk if he gets hurt or underpefroms vs. if he becomes an all-star.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#34 » by Prokorov » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:17 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Well, we can't extend Jarrett until July 1st, 2020.

oh man....

Kyrie | Harris | Prince | KD | Gobert.

2 elite offensive players, 2 lights out wing shooters (4 shooters overall) and a defensive monster who also is great in pnr?

where do i sign? that team wins a title
gigantes
Starter

Post#35 » by gigantes » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:27 pm

kamaze wrote:The back and forth with Knix fans needs to stop we're the better team. There's no need to battle with them especially on the NETS board. If you want to argue with them take it to the source their board. They're fans are not here why are they on your mind? GO NETS!!

Did you read/comprehend anything above?

I feel like you're the one Nets fan who needs a special tutor at this point to explain each and every little detail to you.

But you know what? Here's a better solution-- welcome to List B.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#36 » by Papi_swav » Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:00 am

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

oh man....

2 elite offensive players, 2 lights out wing shooters (4 shooters overall) and a defensive monster who also is great in pnr?

Big facts . Man we had a chance to grab Gobert in the draft years back but I believe we took Plumlee instead SMH. That team at least goes back2back .
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#37 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:07 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Levert, Din, Allen, 1sts for KAT or Gobert? :crazy:

oh man....

Big facts . Man we had a chance to grab Gobert in the draft years back but I believe we took Plumlee instead SMH. That team at least goes back2back .

yeah someone here was super high on him too... i forget.

we also missed on montrez harrell, who i was all in on and wanted to trade up for. still irks me, one of my all time favorites.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#38 » by DarkXaero » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:32 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
oh man....

yeah someone here was super high on him too... i forget.

we also missed on montrez harrell, who i was all in on and wanted to trade up for. still irks me, one of my all time favorites.
I wanted us to draft Gobert at the time. For me, it was always amazing how Gobert managed to fall so far in that draft. He was mocked as a lotto talent for most of pre-draft, and ended up sliding to end of round. I was pissed off when we drafted Plumlee while Gobert was still available. But genius Billy King wanted a more NBA ready player (along with his Duke bias) to fit in that team, rather than a project in Gobert. Sad part is that Gobert wasn't even much of a project and was ready to contribute positively from year 2.

Return to Brooklyn Nets