ImageImageImageImageImage

Hollis-Jefferson

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

RoyceDa59
RealGM
And1: 8,788

Hollis-Jefferson 

Post#1 » by RoyceDa59 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:17 pm

Hey Nets fans, so RHJ has been ballin out for the Raps recently (such a great hustle guy) and so I looked back and noticed he averaged 14 and 6 for you guys 2 years ago. Didn’t realize he had a season like that already.

Reason why I’m here is to ask was there a reason you guys let him go? Is there something we don’t know about him yet? What can we expect over a full season?

P.S Tnx and GL this season, Kyrie looks like he’s hitting his prime, with KD back you guys become favourites in the East I think.
Go Raps!!
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,792

Re: Hollis-Jefferson 

Post#2 » by Rich Rane » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:38 pm

Just sort of regressed last season to the point of falling out of Kenny's rotations. It already hurt him that his shot wasn't developing and he was becoming a liability at the line. Then Kurucs, DeMarre Carroll, Jared Dudley, and Ed Davis just took his minutes. Still saw some talent in there and most here wouldn't have minded had he been brought back for the minimum after signing Kyrie and KD since he gave good minutes in mostly garbage time in the playoffs.

I don't know if he'll play like this when OG comes back, but I'll be happy if it's all clicked and he has it together. He's an easy guy to root for.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#3 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:48 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Hey Nets fans, so RHJ has been ballin out for the Raps recently (such a great hustle guy) and so I looked back and noticed he averaged 14 and 6 for you guys 2 years ago. Didn’t realize he had a season like that already.

Reason why I’m here is to ask was there a reason you guys let him go? Is there something we don’t know about him yet? What can we expect over a full season?

P.S Tnx and GL this season, Kyrie looks like he’s hitting his prime, with KD back you guys become favourites in the East I think.

The season before he was one of our best players. He developed a very good midrange out of nowhere that he hit at a solid clip(48%). It really transformed him as a player, as he's the ultimate hustle guy(think lesser version of a prime gerald wallace) and plays above average defense/can defend 1-5.

However last season he had a lot of niggling injuries and he never really got in rhythm and looked awful bar a few games(@ Sacramento was very memorable). He kind of reverted back to lookie like he did in season's past: wild in the open court, turnover prone and no jumper to speak of)

Given that the Nets acquired KD, Kyrie, Temple and Jordan out the gate in FA, there was just no more space for him to develop and/or cap space. However in the right environment(like Toronto) he can really thrive. Honestly wishing him the best because he was such an easy player to root for and will give 200% every night.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,834

Post#4 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:13 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Hey Nets fans, so RHJ has been ballin out for the Raps recently (such a great hustle guy) and so I looked back and noticed he averaged 14 and 6 for you guys 2 years ago. Didn’t realize he had a season like that already.

First of all, I'm really happy that he's made your rotation. He's a great kid and a hard worker. I wish he was still on the team tbh, but there was no room for him.

Last season he was just beat up and I think also mentally he wasn't completely there (I think he had his first child at the start of the season), plus Rodions Kurucs outplayed him and frankly, the Nets want floor spacing at PF so he really didn't have a role with the team anymore.

Glad to see you guys enjoying him. He may frustrate you at times because he can get out of control but as you see he is a solid defender at multiple positions and he hits the glass like a grown man.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Detective
Head Coach
And1: 24,545

Post#5 » by Detective » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:58 pm

I think a light switch turned on for him in his head in terms of pure defence. Nurse called him out before the season even began, and now this man is playing lockdown D and making hustle plays on O like he has no tomorrow. But the mesmerizing thing is that it all seems like disciplined chaos, if I were to explain it(i.e. The timing of his intensity on both ends of the floor). Did he clamp opposing team's stars to such a degree when he was with your team?

Such an upbeat dude, too.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#6 » by MGrand15 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:07 am

Detective wrote:I think a light switch turned on for him in his head in terms of pure defence. Nurse called him out before the season even began, and now this man is playing lockdown D and making hustle plays on O like he has no tomorrow. But the mesmerizing thing is that it all seems like disciplined chaos, if I were to explain it(i.e. The timing of his intensity on both ends of the floor). Did he clamp opposing team's stars to such a degree when he was with your team?

Such an upbeat dude, too.

Yup. I was shocked Nurse had to call him out. This is who he is. He'd guard anyone 1 through 5. Obviously best against 3/4s or when he could just roam defensively though. His defense and motor are legit.

His chaos isn't always disciplined but maybe Toronto's system will work better for him. Playing next to legit shooters at the 5 should open up his game.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#7 » by Papi_swav » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:38 am

We can really use him right now, our defense is a mess and we don't really have any hustle guys.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#8 » by Claud » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:47 pm

Rondae is a great dude. Kid is a warrior and great person. I'm happy he's contributing in Toronto. He deserves it.

RHJ does not fit Kenny's system since our Centers don't shoot 3s which means we need our PF to be able to shoot it.

It's somewhat of a flawed system but is what it is. RHJ was banging vs 270lbs centers last season since Kenny played him at C instead of his ideal position as a 3/4 that can do a bit of everything. His confidence was destroyed and had a really poor season but he did win us an epic game vs Sacramento.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#9 » by gigantes » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:11 pm

RoyceDa59 wrote:Reason why I’m here is to ask was there a reason you guys let him go? Is there something we don’t know about him yet? What can we expect over a full season?

I think the above assessments have merit, with the caveat that RHJ is still only 24, and likely has some room to grow. I assume his three ball will always be a liability, but he does have some Westbrook-like qualities as a forward, and that might be an area that he can develop further. For example, the season before last, he showed some serious growth as a ball-handler and as a fairly clutch scorer in the realm of broken plays. That surprised a lot of people, since he came in as more of a straight-up D guy with fumble fingers, as a rookie.

Side note-- one thing in particular that still sort of mystifies me about the Nets is that for a team with allegedly such high priorities upon defense and shooting, we don't always get the best out of players in those areas, to put it mildly. Now RHJ is not a perfect example of such, but he really should have been a solid fit as a "swiss army knife" rotation player. Yet after a single mediocre season, we gave up on him. What's up?

As I said in another thread, outside of politicking, we could theoretically have hung on to RHJ, Ed Davis and Dudley for the same yearly price as Jordan. Notwithstanding the fact that DJ's contract is a complete albatross, unlike those other three guys, all on short contracts, currently.

Papi_swav wrote:We can really use him right now, our defense is a mess and we don't really have any hustle guys.

I agree for the most part, although I've been pleasantly surprised by Temple. That guy has been really bringing it, unlike some on the team.

Again, it kinda seems like there's a dichotomy on this team that isn't working very well-- i.e, Atkinson seems to value defense highly, but Marks hasn't necessarily been signing many rotation-level guys with a defensive backbone.

Either way, I agree that we could definitely use a healthy RHJ right about now.
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#10 » by CalamityX12 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:39 pm

No coincidence when he left our defense left too.....
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Detective
Head Coach

Post#11 » by Detective » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:48 pm

I just wanted to update this thread to say that I cannot believe the intangibles this dude provides. Hustle Jefferson is legit.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,238

Post#12 » by Papi_swav » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:06 pm

Miss this dude so much, we can sure use his spark off the bench right now. RHJ>Musa
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#13 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Dec 1, 2019 3:28 am

Detective wrote:I just wanted to update this thread to say that I cannot believe the intangibles this dude provides. Hustle Jefferson is legit.

Glad to hear this. Please keep us updated on his progress if you don't mind, I'm so happy that he's doing well with you guys.

Detective
Head Coach

Post#14 » by Detective » Sun Dec 1, 2019 4:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Detective wrote:I just wanted to update this thread to say that I cannot believe the intangibles this dude provides. Hustle Jefferson is legit.

Glad to hear this. Please keep us updated on his progress if you don't mind, I'm so happy that he's doing well with you guys.

No worries, fam. Will do

He was recently featured in our Open Gym season documentary series.

And also here is a preview of how we use him, including him fitting right into our 5 Out style, even if he hasn't hit a 3 yet. He has mastered the Dunkers' Spot per Nick Nurse's instructions.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#15 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Dec 1, 2019 7:02 pm

RHJ just needed a new situation. He had his moments with the Nets, but was just really bad last year.

I'm happy he's doing well.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Hollis-Jefferson 

Post#16 » by Paradise » Sun Dec 1, 2019 8:43 pm

He peaked in the season we had Jeremy Lin but won 28 games and It was definitely the best season he’s had in the league as a two way player and he’s capable of being a mid-range threat.

We thought he was on his way to a be so our season but it turned out being Russell and Caris last year. I think he will eventually get back to being that in Toronto. Very happy to hear that he’s doing well.
Detective
Head Coach

Post#17 » by Detective » Sun Dec 1, 2019 11:59 pm

OMG, he is just destroying everyone on the Jazz during this game on D.

Eyes in the back of his head type **** and just straight up stealing, deflecting and sealing everyone off when the Jazz try to drive.

EDIT: Crossover + Fadeaway with nice seperation. That is consecutive games now this has been working for him.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Dec 2, 2019 3:39 am

Detective wrote:OMG, he is just destroying everyone on the Jazz during this game on D.

Eyes in the back of his head type **** and just straight up stealing, deflecting and sealing everyone off when the Jazz try to drive.

EDIT: Crossover + Fadeaway with nice seperation. That is consecutive games now this has been working for him.

RHJ can defend every position on the floor.

Check his numbers from the season prior to last year. RHJ averaged 14ppg 7rpg 3apg on decent efficiency from the field (47%, raw FG 55% TS) and he was doing a lot of it in the midrange with pull up jumpers. None of what you're saying is surprising, last year I think he had a lot going on that impacted his play, he seems to have returned to form with you guys which is great.

When you guys visit Barclay's you'd better believe that he will receive a huge ovation when he checks into the game

LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#19 » by LOUiS-D » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:05 am

Rondae is such a high energy and character guy. I had to double take when I saw Nurse questioning his effort. That's Stanley Johnson talk. I really wanted to keep him. I know we play 4 out down hill basketball and he doesn't really fit with that. But MDB isn't kidding when he's saying he can defend 1-5. I've got a lot of fond memories of the guy. Love seeing him fired up.
Detective
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Detective » Mon Dec 2, 2019 4:05 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Detective wrote:OMG, he is just destroying everyone on the Jazz during this game on D.

RHJ can defend every position on the floor.

Check his numbers from the season prior to last year. RHJ averaged 14ppg 7rpg 3apg on decent efficiency from the field (47%, raw FG 55% TS) and he was doing a lot of it in the midrange with pull up jumpers. None of what you're saying is surprising, last year I think he had a lot going on that impacted his play, he seems to have returned to form with you guys which is great.

When you guys visit Barclay's you'd better believe that he will receive a huge ovation when he checks into the game

You know what surprised us? We were up 40 against the Jazz, and had a weird 3rd quarter. I mean, it's difficult to maintain intensity when you are up 40, and we let the Jazz cut the lead down to 23. They had a 49 point 3rd Q, and were still down 23. RHJ was absolutely pissed at himself for allowing some of those runs, so much so that Nurse benched him because he was getting very heated/emotional at himself. And he went into the tunnel, got calmed down by our big man coach Jamal Magloire, FVV, Norm and OG, and then returned to the bench.

Return to Brooklyn Nets