GT: Hornets vs Nets - Wednesday, 12/11/19 | 7:30pm EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Re: GT: Hornets vs Nets - Wednesday, 12/11/19 | 7:30pm EST 

Post#201 » by Papi_swav » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:40 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:I'm gonna go watch Gerrit Cole highlights to get my mind off this one.

I have a love-hate relationship with the Yankees.

They are my childhood team, but I absolutely loathe the way that they've recklessly splurged cash on players.

I've always believed that position players should never get 7-year or longer contracts. I'd much rather inflate their per season salary over 5 seasons than handout 6+ year contracts.

Everyone knows this contracts never work out in the long run.

Look at A-Rod. Miguel Cabrera was a machine and deserving of monster money the first few years of his contract. Now he's simply terrible and is still getting paid tens of millions per year.

But to give $36mil per season to a pitcher FOR 9 YEARS!?!? That's insane!

Pitchers are so volatile. Some are excellent for a season or two, and then drop off. Even the very best have trouble sustaining dominance for long periods of time. Even if he was very good for the first 3 seasons, he still has 2/3 of the contract left to play. This is crazy...

Well to be fair I think Arods first 10 year contract was definitely worth it, his 2nd one was hard to swallow. And Texiera contract was worth it too IMO even though his last couple of years were bad. Yea 9 years is way too much but thats the price they had to pay to get the top pitcher here. If hes good for at least 7 years of that deal then I'll be ok with it.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#202 » by LOUiS-D » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:45 am

Had to duck out in the middle of the third and we were up 14. Came back with 14 seconds left down 4. Time to sift through the game thread to find out wtf happened.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,795

Post#203 » by Rich Rane » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:45 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:I'm gonna go watch Gerrit Cole highlights to get my mind off this one.

They are my childhood team, but I absolutely loathe the way that they've recklessly splurged cash on players.

I've always believed that position players should never get 7-year or longer contracts. I'd much rather inflate their per season salary over 5 seasons than handout 6+ year contracts.

Look at A-Rod. Miguel Cabrera was a machine and deserving of monster money the first few years of his contract. Now he's simply terrible and is still getting paid tens of millions per year.

Pitchers are so volatile. Some are excellent for a season or two, and then drop off. Even the very best have trouble sustaining dominance for long periods of time. Even if he was very good for the first 3 seasons, he still has 2/3 of the contract left to play. This is crazy...

At least with A-Rod, the team did win a World Series, which should be every Yankees fan's expectation year in, year out. The contract did end up biting the Yankees in the ass, but him getting caught up in every steroid scandal pissed me off more.

Now for Cole's contract, here's why I don't care at all what they gave:

1.) He's pretty much the final puzzle of a contending team. Yankees needed an ace. His numbers prove that he is one. He is one of the best pitchers to hit free agency in history.

2.) His injury history is pretty clean.

3.) He's only 29. Yankees are paying for the same age seasons Nationals are paying Strasburg.

4.) His secondary stuff is also electric. Unlike CC, Cole will have multiple weapons when his fastball breaks down towards the end of his contract. His slider, curve, and change all can generate whiffs.

5.) Signing him weakens the team that's eliminated Yankees the last 2 ALCS series.

Try not to think of it as someone who only plays once every 5 days. Cole pitches deep into games, saving a lot of bullpen arms. He's obviously not gonna be asked to pitch 7-8 innings every start during the season, but he will get some bullpen arms some rest and he should be able to do so in the playoffs.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#204 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:53 am

Papi_swav wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:

Well to be fair I think Arods first 10 year contract was definitely worth it, his 2nd one was hard to swallow. And Texiera contract was worth it too IMO even though his last couple of years were bad. Yea 9 years is way too much but thats the price they had to pay to get the top pitcher here. If hes good for at least 7 years of that deal then I'll be ok with it.

Don't get me started on ARod. After he opted out, the Yankees said that they weren't going to sign him. Then both sides made up and they STILL offered him another 10 year deal when no other team was offering anything close in terms of length of years and total salary. They literally bid against themselves and got burned. They should've never offered that kind of contract.

Sabathia was given 8 years, right? He wasn't that good for much of it.

The only move I agree with is the one where the Yanks let Seattle sign Cano to his 8 year deal. He should've known that he wasn't good enough to be on his own. He needed us as much as we needed him. I'll never hate on a player for getting his money, but I wonder if Cano regrets leaving.

If Cole is great for 7 years, of course he's worth it. The problem is no pitcher is truly that dominant for that long. All of them either end up struggling with injuries or just can't sustain their play for that length of time. My (pessimistic) gut feeling is that the Yankees will be lucky to get 4 full dominant seasons out of him. He's already 29. Yankees, what are you thinking? :noway: :nonono: :crazy:
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,241

Post#205 » by Papi_swav » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:24 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:I have a love-hate relationship with the Yankees.

Don't get me started on ARod. After he opted out, the Yankees said that they weren't going to sign him. Then both sides made up and they STILL offered him another 10 year deal when no other team was offering anything close in terms of length of years and total salary. They literally bid against themselves and got burned. They should've never offered that kind of contract.

Sabathia was given 8 years, right? He wasn't that good for much of it.

The only move I agree with is the one where the Yanks let Seattle sign Cano to his 8 year deal. He should've known that he wasn't good enough to be on his own. He needed us as much as we needed him. I'll never hate on a player for getting his money, but I wonder if Cano regrets leaving.

If Cole is great for 7 years, of course he's worth it. The problem is no pitcher is truly that dominant for that long. All of them either end up struggling with injuries or just can't sustain their play for that length of time. My (pessimistic) gut feeling is that the Yankees will be lucky to get 4 full dominant seasons out of him. He's already 29. Yankees, what are you thinking? :noway: :nonono: :crazy:

If I remember correctly I think the Angels were in on giving Arod a big contract , I can't really remember though.

I mean Verlander just won the Cy Young at 36 years old, I don't think it's impossible. Cole is a very smart pitcher and he has a lot of off speed stuff. Some fans say if we win just 1 World Series then it'll be worth it. I think we have to win at least 3, one is just not enough. If we didn't give him this big contract then he would of easily went somewhere else and we would of kind of got screwed. We wasn't getting another ace any other way. Let's just hope he can be dominant for 5 years atleast and good for the remainder of the contract.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#206 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:31 am

This was a horrible horrible loss on so many levels...

1) Charlotte, trash team on the road on a second of a back to back missing 2 rotation players

2) 20 point lead

3) Atkinson inexcusably letting graham get wide open three after wide open three as we go over the screen with no help. pathetic.

4) Nets take quick early shot sin the shot clock playing hero ball when we could score at will anytime we made a couple passes.

5) awful horrific unforced turnovers

Ive been a net fan for nearly 35 years. this is one of the 5 worst losses i can remember. Nets should refund everyone who was in attendance.

Teams owes the fans an apology for this one.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#207 » by Prokorov » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:33 am

therealbig3 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:We're likely going to be on a 3 game losing streak soon, with back to back losses to Toronto & Philly.

I wouldn't go that far. I think we have a puncher's chance versus both teams, especially Toronto.

I mean, we likely ARE going to be on a 3 game losing streak now. Toronto and Philly are just flat out better teams than us, even if we were fully healthy this year.

Could we win? Sure. But we're definitely big underdogs in both games. Gotta win the games you're supposed to, especially when you're up 20 against a bad team at home.

we are a better team than philly with or without kyrie. they are vastly overrated. I expect us to clown them
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#208 » by gigantes » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:54 am

MGrand15 wrote:Have we had one legit blowout win this year?

Looks like the closest case was Friday, Nov 22 vs Sacramento, a 116-97 win.

Not really a classical blowout either, more of a slow steady pulling away:
https://www.espn.com/nba/game?gameId=401160859#score-flow-container

therealbig3 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I wouldn't go that far. I think we have a puncher's chance versus both teams, especially Toronto.

I mean, we likely ARE going to be on a 3 game losing streak now. Toronto and Philly are just flat out better teams than us, even if we were fully healthy this year.

Agreed. Since stumbling to a 7-5 start, the Sixers have gone 11-2, knocking off decent teams such as Miami, Indy, Utah, Toronto and Denver along the way. They also blew out the Cavs by almost 50 points the other day. I mean, sure... it's the Cavs. But still.

They're also loaded with really good players, including their new rookie sensation Matisse Thybulle, arguably the NBA's top defensive wing after only 25 games(!) If anything, they're probably underperforming while working in their new players and figuring out how to play together, similar to the Nets' situation, but more extreme in their case.

Despite all their 'struggles,' they're still 18-7, long, tall and defensively very formidable.

Beating them in a 6PM game after catching a late flight from Canada the night before would be a significant upset IMO.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#209 » by NetsJets » Thu Dec 12, 2019 1:46 pm

Horrible loss.

Prince was building a house out there last night. Missed free throws and our lack of ability to defend the 3 point line killed us smh.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,843

Post#210 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:15 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
If that beard is the reason for his numbers, Hal better ease the :censored: up on that. :lol:

I think Hal needs to dead that ****. His father isn't here anymore. It's his team, he should run it how he sees it. The whole "no long hair, no facial hair" is some straight up Boomer ****. Hal is Gen X. he needs to let that **** go the Yankees are probably legit the best team in the AL right now.

I don't know if it's a strict Boomer thing. The whole "no long hair, no facial hair" thing is still big with white collars. Not as a rule out policy, but it just seems that way.

I think it's just so outdated. Let guys be themselves
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#211 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:16 pm

NyCeEvO wrote:

If the Yankees win two championships in the 2020s no one will care about the contract imo

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#212 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:18 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Thank you, at least somebody gets it. These guys in here talking about they don't care about seeding. Well you would care at the end of the season if we are 2-3 games out of getting a home court advantage . Then they're going to look back at ALL the games we blew and this is just one of like 5 or 6 already in just 25 games. Imagine how much it's going to be after 82 games.

Our starting backcourt hasn't played in weeks. Yall need to calm down fam.

The Nets blew this lead. is it a reason to panic? no.

we've won 3 games in a row prior to this but only after a loss do you guys start **** ing your pants.

Dude, we literally blew away games like these about 6 times in a 25 game sample? How much is it going to be when the season ends? We have every reason to complain about this crap. It's annoying as hell at this point. There is no reason why we give up a whole 20 point lead no matter how many ppl are injured. We clearly had what it takes to win this game .

The effort was poor in the 2nd half, and the loss is inexcusable, but this isn't going to make or break our season is what I'm getting at.

Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#213 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:02 pm

I just want Kyrie-Caris back.

Our "win streak" has been filled with close wins that we got by the skin of our teeth.

I don't believe we can be a consistently good team till we got those 2 back.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#214 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I just want Kyrie-Caris back.

Our "win streak" has been filled with close wins that we got by the skin of our teeth.

I don't believe we can be a consistently good team till we got those 2 back.

Considering the fact Pinson and Musa won't be playing when they do return, we should see a much better performance from the team in general.

Return to Brooklyn Nets