ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Sixers vs NETS - Sunday, 12/15/19 | 6:00 PM EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: GT: Sixers vs NETS - Sunday, 12/15/19 | 6:00 PM EST 

Post#161 » by gigantes » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Prokorov wrote:Cant compare to last years playoffs. completely different team. they had more depth and Butler/Reddick. they miss both a ton.

Can't compare them, I agree to a certain extent, but that also cuts both ways. As in-- can't take credit for last season's wins against a different team, as some were doing earlier.

Also, in terms of being "completely different," the core two players are still there, and the depth is arguably much greater this year.

Jimmy is certainly a loss, but Redick... I don't really see it. Sure, the guy averaged around 41% 3pt shooting on 7+ apg for the Sixers. That's great.

But Redick historically gives a lot of that back on the defensive end, and the Sixers are arguably better off without him at this point. Like, decisively so. Because nowadays their 3pt-shooting is spread around more, they have better defenders at the spots he was playing, and guess what...

...as a team, the Sixers' 3pt shooting jumped all the way from 33% last year to 36.5% this year. That's a pretty massive improvement as I see it. Not to mention, their defense in terms of opponents pts is decisively better this year.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#162 » by Prokorov » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:12 pm

gigantes wrote:Jimmy is certainly a loss, but Redick... I don't really see it. Sure, the guy averaged around 41% 3pt shooting on 7+ apg for the Sixers. That's great.

I'd argue Reddick is a bigger loss than Butler because what he did is harder to replace. Butler is a beast, but you can get65-85% of him with another player and more volume for Embiid/Simmons. still a big loss. but you can find guys who do what he does.

Reddick is a different animal. there arent many guys who do what he does or put that kind of pressure on your TEAM defense. You cant defend reddick with 1 guy. you need 2 to 3 guys eyes on him always. anytime he comes off a screen your are forced to hedge or switch OFF-BALL. not many guys force an off-ball switch. he is one of maybe 5 or 6 guys in the entire league who is deadley with no space, off balance, on the move off a screen. Similar to what harris provides us only better.

The sixers are much easier to guard without reddick. you can now have 10 eyes on embiid at all times. people think of double teams on embiid likes its the playground, like someone doubles down and his guy is open. thats not how it works. there is a rotation... but you cant "help the helper" or rotate with reddick on the floor.

if you are 1 pass away from reddick, you cant help or rotate. now, you can double embiid and easily rotate, because even though they have shooters, they dont have guys who are automatic off balance off screens with no space. so you can rotate and run them off the line. there is no real running reddick off the line because he isnt a stationary shooter.

Go re-watch the regular season games and playoffs vs. them plus last nights game. it is night and day how well we defend them when reddick sits.

But Redick historically gives a lot of that back on the defensive end, and the Sixers are arguably better off without him at this point. Like, decisively so. Because nowadays their 3pt-shooting is spread around more, they have better defenders at the spots he was playing, and guess what...

Reddicks defense doesnt matter. he was surrounded by 4 good ot great defenders including simmons at PG. you could easily hide reddick on your worst offensive guy, and while he is poor defensively its not like he was bogs level bad defensively

...as a team, the Sixers' 3pt shooting jumped all the way from 33% last year to 36.5% this year. That's a pretty massive improvement as I see it. Not to mention, their defense in terms of opponents pts is decisively better this year.

There offense is worse than last season.... 108 points per 100 possesions this year vs 112.9 last year. from 8th overall to 14th. And while their 3 point percentage is higher, their spacing is much worse. because teams know they can rotate and arent pressured to switch off ball or worry about an elite shooter like reddick.

Phillys offense has reverted to a 1980s game of posting up mismatch and iso from their big players. they arent going to consistently beat teams over .500 with that. Certainly not well coached modern teams like us.
clo12345
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#163 » by clo12345 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:22 pm

Yea the loss of JJ really hurt them, they definitely need some shooting. I'm convinced Elton Brand is not a good GM and he didn't do a great job with their roster.
gigantes
Starter

Post#164 » by gigantes » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:34 pm

Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:Jimmy is certainly a loss, but Redick... I don't really see it. Sure, the guy averaged around 41% 3pt shooting on 7+ apg for the Sixers. That's great.

I'd argue Reddick is a bigger loss than Butler because what he did is harder to replace. Butler is a beast, but you can get65-85% of him with another player and more volume for Embiid/Simmons. still a big loss. but you can find guys who do what he does.

Reddick is a different animal. there arent many guys who do what he does or put that kind of pressure on your TEAM defense. You cant defend reddick with 1 guy. you need 2 to 3 guys eyes on him always. anytime he comes off a screen your are forced to hedge or switch OFF-BALL. not many guys force an off-ball switch. he is one of maybe 5 or 6 guys in the entire league who is deadley with no space, off balance, on the move off a screen. Similar to what harris provides us only better.

The sixers are much easier to guard without reddick. you can now have 10 eyes on embiid at all times. people think of double teams on embiid likes its the playground, like someone doubles down and his guy is open. thats not how it works. there is a rotation... but you cant "help the helper" or rotate with reddick on the floor.

if you are 1 pass away from reddick, you cant help or rotate. now, you can double embiid and easily rotate, because even though they have shooters, they dont have guys who are automatic off balance off screens with no space. so you can rotate and run them off the line. there is no real running reddick off the line because he isnt a stationary shooter.

Go re-watch the regular season games and playoffs vs. them plus last nights game. it is night and day how well we defend them when reddick sits.

Reddicks defense doesnt matter. he was surrounded by 4 good ot great defenders including simmons at PG. you could easily hide reddick on your worst offensive guy, and while he is poor defensively its not like he was bogs level bad defensively

There offense is worse than last season.... 108 points per 100 possesions this year vs 112.9 last year. from 8th overall to 14th. And while their 3 point percentage is higher, their spacing is much worse. because teams know they can rotate and arent pressured to switch off ball or worry about an elite shooter like reddick.

Phillys offense has reverted to a 1980s game of posting up mismatch and iso from their big players. they arent going to consistently beat teams over .500 with that. Certainly not well coached modern teams like us.

Overall the Sixers are way better, though.

Their offense has suffered, while their defense has MORE than compensated. (look at their numbers)

I.e., you're plain wrong.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#165 » by DarkXaero » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:03 pm

SpeedyG wrote:You guys are nuts not to look at Toronto as legit threats in the East vs us.

-Siakam is Giannis-lite. We have no one (unless #7 comes back healthy) who can check him.

- They have two bigs who can give us fits with size AND spread our defense with their outside shot

- they have two pesky guards who can defend AND rain threes on us

-they are not afraid to take mids. The kind of shots we leave wide open will be our undoing vs them.

-we take a lot of threes = long rebounds = Siakam on the break = points for them + fouls for us

Sent from my SM-G925T using RealGM mobile app
I agree that Toronto are a tough team, but let's not overrate Siakam. Guy is nowhere near Giannis in terms of being difficult to stop. Sure he can shoot the 3 much better than Giannis, but his driving game is extremely predictable, and we definitely do have personnel to guard him. The game we just played against Toronto, we gave Siakam a lot of space to respect the drive, and unfortunately for us, his jumper was on that night, so he made us pay. But even then he went 10-26 FG, scoring 30 pts (after having like 25 in the first half).

I would take Dinwiddie and Kyrie over Lowry & FVV easily. Our PGs aren't as good defensively, but they're much bigger threats offensively. The biggest problem playing Toronto is that they have excellent defensive bigs (specifically Marc), who defend the paint so well that it neutralizes our P&R threat.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#166 » by Prokorov » Tue Dec 17, 2019 2:48 am

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Their offense has suffered, while their defense has MORE than compensated. (look at their numbers)

they arent better though... come playoffs they are getting 1 and done most likely. they dont have the horses. they are too easy to defend and dont have depth. 2 of their 3 best players need load management. and they dont have a guy who can take over on the wing with butler gone.

Defense is great but in the playoffs you dont get to play trash teams. they will need to score
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#167 » by GTR11 » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:59 am

How come there is no Pelicans game thread.
gigantes
Starter

Post#168 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 4, 2020 4:36 am

Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

they arent better though... come playoffs they are getting 1 and done most likely. they dont have the horses. they are too easy to defend and dont have depth. 2 of their 3 best players need load management. and they dont have a guy who can take over on the wing with butler gone.

Defense is great but in the playoffs you dont get to play trash teams. they will need to score

Getting back to this argument (bleh), I think you were pretty much exactly right, and I was wrong.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#169 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 4, 2020 7:46 pm

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
gigantes wrote:Overall the Sixers are way better, though.

Getting back to this argument (bleh), I think you were pretty much exactly right, and I was wrong.

takes a big person to admit that (not saying ill be right but either way) hopefulyl i can admit the same the times im wrong

Return to Brooklyn Nets