ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Sixers 1/15/20 7:00pm EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Re: GT: Nets @ Sixers 1/15/20 7:00pm EST 

Post#201 » by GTR11 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:08 am

Paradise wrote:DeAndre left without speaking to reporters.

Damn. That could be a serious hand injury right there.

I hate when injuries happen, however I think Clax can provide energy and offense that we need. I kind of welcome this switch for some reason.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

GT: Nets @ Sixers 1/15/20 7:00pm EST 

Post#202 » by Paradise » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:10 am

Khashbaatar wrote:Where Brooklyn At!

Don't do this.

- Rich

Right here.

Where was PHILLY at?
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Post#203 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:03 am

MGrand15 wrote:Dudley, Carroll, Davis, Graham weren't amazing players but they never made mistakes.

Whoa, I wouldn't go this far. Dudley, Carroll, and Graham more than enough took shots no one wanted them to take with Graham being a facepalm in a Nets uniform. All 4 of those guys have had stretches of losing their man on a boxout as well. We also never really switched defense assignments last season yet a lot of them were prone to losing their man as well.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,902

Post#204 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 am

MGrand15 wrote:Dudley, Carroll, Davis, Graham weren't amazing players but they never made mistakes. They always played hard. Can't say that at all about Prince and DJ. No idea what happened to LeVert and Harris either. Decision making has been terrible recently.

The decision making has been terrible, but I feel like this is revisionist history.

People wanted to run Graham off of this team and Dudley was getting dogged by people on here. DMC was not perfect at all.

I understand the frustration because this was a winnable game but no.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,888

Post#205 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:32 am

I agree that we are missing smart players. Too many dumb mistakes by the young guys.

We just need 1 or 2 more vets. Bring back Shump. Its not like anyone else signed him.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#206 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:34 am

GTR11 wrote:
Paradise wrote:DeAndre left without speaking to reporters.

Damn. That could be a serious hand injury right there.

I hate when injuries happen, however I think Clax can provide energy and offense that we need. I kind of welcome this switch for some reason.

Bucks have serious size. I think this team will be hurt badly by the loss of Jordan.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#207 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:38 am

Rich Rane wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Dudley, Carroll, Davis, Graham weren't amazing players but they never made mistakes.

Whoa, I wouldn't go this far. Dudley, Carroll, and Graham more than enough took shots no one wanted them to take with Graham being a facepalm in a Nets uniform. All 4 of those guys have had stretches of losing their man on a boxout as well. We also never really switched defense assignments last season yet a lot of them were prone to losing their man as well.

This is what I was talking about last night. Every loss sends this board into a panic and things become reactionary.

We've gotta calm down yall. This team is a work in progress. Guys are still figuring out how to play with each other. Kyrie is still trying to acclimate himself and frankly tonight he had no energy in the 4th which says to me that his conditioning finally caught up to him.

Let things play out.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#208 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:41 am

DarkXaero wrote:https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/average-4th-quarter-margin

We're the worst 4th quarter team in the entire NBA...

As Kyrie continues to round into form, this most likely will change as he will have the ball in his hands and we know that when he is in tip top condition he is an elite closer.

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#209 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:23 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I'm tired of making excuses for this team blowing leads in the 4th Q.

Its unacceptable and the blame has to fall on Kenny. This team cannot close games. Its sad.

Unless we turn it around, we will not make the playoffs.

Bingo.

I've been saying this. It doesn't matter who's healthy or hobbled, in or out of the game. It comes down to scheme and attitude. We look shook in the 4th quarter, and the fact that it's happening across the board this far into the season indicates it's a top-down issue. Kenny, fix it. We're bottom of the league is 4th quarter points and 4th quarter differential. We GIVE GAMES AWAY. Fix it.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#210 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:37 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:https://www.teamrankings.com/nba/stat/average-4th-quarter-margin

As Kyrie continues to round into form, this most likely will change as he will have the ball in his hands and we know that when he is in tip top condition he is an elite closer.

We can hope. I feel that even the superstar that Kyrie is at 100% cannot fix this. We're not disciplined enough to complement him well during hero ball moments, and the players you'd like to put around him offensively are the ones hurting him and us the most defensively. Guys need to take a long look in the mirror at the effort they are giving to close out games, I'll freely admit that. But it's WAY overdue to start taking Atkinson to task for mismanagement. That doesn't mean fire him, or anything imminent. Just let him know he's let this go on long enough, and it had better change.

Early in the season, I said the same about his accountability for our defense. Now, we can at least say that that is markedly improved.
-- Steve Martin
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#211 » by Papi_swav » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:55 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

This is what I was talking about last night. Every loss sends this board into a panic and things become reactionary.

We've gotta calm down yall. This team is a work in progress. Guys are still figuring out how to play with each other. Kyrie is still trying to acclimate himself and frankly tonight he had no energy in the 4th which says to me that his conditioning finally caught up to him.

Let things play out.

lol come on guys, he doesn't mean they literally NEVER made mistakes. He's just saying those guys had a higher I.Q. than our current players and he's not lying. Why do ya think Dudley is still in the NBA ? it aint for his unique basketball "skills". He makes the right plays. Prince might have a higher ceiling than DMC but DMC did not make half the not so smart mistakes Prince makes. I think we can all agree on that. Graham was a dub, but he seems to be doing ok in Minny. This was not a good lose though.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,821

Post#212 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:22 am

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

Let things play out.

lol come on guys, he doesn't mean they literally NEVER made mistakes. He's just saying those guys had a higher I.Q. than our current players and he's not lying. Why do ya think Dudley is still in the NBA ? it aint for his unique basketball "skills". He makes the right plays. Prince might have a higher ceiling than DMC but DMC did not make half the not so smart mistakes Prince makes. I think we can all agree on that. Graham was a dub, but he seems to be doing ok in Minny. This was not a good lose though.

I didn't take that as saying they literally never made mistakes. All those things I listed were over the course of all of last season. Saying they never made mistakes is still a bad statement to make even if not at literal value.
Nondescript
Pro Prospect
And1: 175

Post#213 » by Nondescript » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:11 am

Well after watching this game I am going to throw out what might be an unpopular opinion; this team does not contend for a title even with a 100% Durant. The Nets don't have the talent to make up for the team's systemic flaws and I don't anticipate that those flaws will ever truly dealt with. Only thing that can change this is a major infusion of talent somewhere.
brook
Senior
And1: 115

Post#214 » by brook » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:26 am

Carroll don't necessarely was smarter than Prince. He has just more experience, I remember the ability to take everytime two free throws when the clock expires. but Taurean is the perfect, younger 2.0 DMC version. He needs time.
Davis was good but I'd take Jordan 1000 times over him, for multiple reasons.
Chandler also can provide what Dudley brings in energy, threes and experience.
In the meantime we add a game changer like Nwaba but unfortunately he's got injured. Also his substitute, TLC seems better than Graham.
Temple is worst than Crabbe right now? I don't believe at all.
Like third string center last year we used RHJ, I'really love him but he's not a center at all. Claxton is.
The only swap we really lose is the third string PG, Shabazz was awesome last year in that role, provide some instant offense when we needed.
AND we add Durant.
I think if we remain healty, we'll make the playoffs with the 7th seed and we'll be a bad opponent for whatever team which is not the Bucks.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#215 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:52 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

We can hope. I feel that even the superstar that Kyrie is at 100% cannot fix this. We're not disciplined enough to complement him well during hero ball moments, and the players you'd like to put around him offensively are the ones hurting him and us the most defensively. Guys need to take a long look in the mirror at the effort they are giving to close out games, I'll freely admit that. But it's WAY overdue to start taking Atkinson to task for mismanagement. That doesn't mean fire him, or anything imminent. Just let him know he's let this go on long enough, and it had better change.

Early in the season, I said the same about his accountability for our defense. Now, we can at least say that that is markedly improved.

Guys need to start hitting their FTs and executing better in the 4th. One of the biggest culprits of this is Spencer Dinwiddie, but it's a team thing in general. Kenny needs to start expecting more from certain guys who have been here for awhile.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:53 pm

Nondescript wrote:Well after watching this game I am going to throw out what might be an unpopular opinion; this team does not contend for a title even with a 100% Durant. The Nets don't have the talent to make up for the team's systemic flaws and I don't anticipate that those flaws will ever truly dealt with. Only thing that can change this is a major infusion of talent somewhere.

It's interesting that you say this (I agree with you btw), but in the other thread you seem upset that Kyrie said this in public. What gives?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#217 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:55 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Let things play out.

I didn't take that as saying they literally never made mistakes. All those things I listed were over the course of all of last season. Saying they never made mistakes is still a bad statement to make even if not at literal value.

It's also grossly overrating those players and overstating their impact imo. Last year's team was fun but to even include Graham in that statement was romanticizing last season. Graham was horrible.

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#218 » by NetsJets » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:08 pm

In a weird way I’m not upset about the loss, was it a bad loss? Yes. But I’m not upset. These mistakes are what defines this team at this point. Hopefully it gets straightened out in the offseason. Hopefully Jordan is okay. And maybe we can sign a big that can actually knock down a jumper.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#219 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:10 pm

It's a tough loss against a tough divisional opponent. You can't win 'em all, but the way in which we're losing concerns me.

It's VERY encouraging to see Kyrie play in a back-to-back, and he didn't seem affected or limited by the shoulder. He has a right to state that we are "one or two pieces away", but he also needs to find a way to impact the end of games when his shot isn't falling.

It's good to see Spencer, Joe and Taurean shoot better. I'm going to attribute it to lower usage and dribbling, better spacing and looks due to Irving's return.

I'm sad to see DJ injured. And while I am loathe to kick a man while he's down, it may be the best for him and us in the short term. He was lifeless out there: not challenging at the rim, not sliding his feet, not stopping ball in transition, not jumping to close out. As if that weren't enough, he points fingers after blown defensive assignments, instead of taking responsibility. Get healthy, Deandre, and come back with a bounce in your step. In the meantime, our dreamboat rookie Nic should get his minutes.

What's the frequency, Kenneth? We need you to train us in the following areas:

-- taking charges to discourage dribble drives and assist our rim protectors
-- drawing fouls on 3-point shots (Joe and Taurean: stop dribbling when defenders fly at you! Shoot your shot and take the contact!)
-- staying home defensively (for GOD'S SAKE, why are our worst defenders the ones always caught half-helping while leaving their man wide open!)
-- hi-low big-to-big passing, when defenses overload our playmakers
-- training, tracking and coaching higher jumps and harder drives to the rim to get to the FT line
-- interior pocket passing (learn from Caris)

I know that this sounds like a nitpicking laundry list. It's my sincere desire for the team, to progress to the next step and go from quitters to closers. I wish only the best for our Nets.
-- Steve Martin
jbeachboy
Assistant Coach
And1: 359

Post#220 » by jbeachboy » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:11 pm

anyone think we can fall into the draft lottery the way we are playing for this year?

Return to Brooklyn Nets