Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,797

Re: Kyrie: We need one or two more pieces 

Post#121 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:00 am

kamaze wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Who cares about what he does off the court? That has nothing to do with him being a great player...

Kinda like someone naming players off the top of his head during a post game interview that his teammates have not given any hint of having trouble with?

Giving post game interviews is part of their job what a player buys with his contract is his personal business. If you can't see the difference theres nothing to talk about.

How a player spends his money kinda does give insight to a man. Pippen buying a jet without inspecting it kinda tells me what I need to know of him.

GTR11 wrote:He wants to share his knowledge, write a book for all I care.

Leadership Skills by Kyrie Irving. No, that would totally keep the media attention away and not warrant any criticism from anyone whatsoever.

GTR11 wrote:There are corporate lines for a reason. Hate them and want to speak my mind but that's not how it works in today's day. Kyrie needs to be smarter is bottom line here.

Deron used to give corporate lines. All good that did the team (and the fans).
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#122 » by GTR11 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:11 am

Rich Rane wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Kinda like someone naming players off the top of his head during a post game interview that his teammates have not given any hint of having trouble with?

Giving post game interviews is part of their job what a player buys with his contract is his personal business. If you can't see the difference theres nothing to talk about.

How a player spends his money kinda does give insight to a man. Pippen buying a jet without inspecting it kinda tells me what I need to know of him.

GTR11 wrote:He wants to share his knowledge, write a book for all I care.

Leadership Skills by Kyrie Irving. No, that would totally keep the media attention away and not warrant any criticism from anyone whatsoever.

GTR11 wrote:There are corporate lines for a reason. Hate them and want to speak my mind but that's not how it works in today's day. Kyrie needs to be smarter is bottom line here.

Deron used to give corporate lines. All good that did the team (and the fans).

Why not, if he's a true leader and smart like that like he wants to sound... let him write one.
Yeah nice try. Totally good take. Why not J.Kidd?
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#123 » by LondonCeltics » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:25 am

Christ I’m glad his toxic and ill-advised petulance is no longer in our locker room.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#124 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:39 am

LondonCeltics wrote:Christ I’m glad his toxic and ill-advised petulance is no longer in our locker room.

I'm not convinced Kyrie ever really had locker room problems. In fact, his Celtic teammates past and present seem to go out of their way to appreciate him both in interviews and face-to-face.

My take on all this is that Kyrie tends to be wacky in front of a mic or on Twitter, which can sometimes rile up fans and media. It's not the same thing as being a real problem where it counts, i.e. on the court and in the locker room.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#125 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:36 pm

LondonCeltics wrote:Christ I’m glad his toxic and ill-advised petulance is no longer in our locker room.

Thanks. Take that dumb **** over to your own board because Irving doesn't have issues with teammates over here.

He lives rent free in your **** ing head and I find that to be sad and hilarious
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#126 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:37 pm

gigantes wrote:

I'm not convinced Kyrie ever really had locker room problems. In fact, his Celtic teammates past and present seem to go out of their way to appreciate him both in interviews and face-to-face.

My take on all this is that Kyrie tends to be wacky in front of a mic or on Twitter, which can sometimes rile up fans and media. It's not the same thing as being a real problem where it counts, i.e. on the court and in the locker room.

We've seen Irving on the sideline having the time of his life with Spencer, Theo, DJ, KD etc but these idiot Celtics fans have PTSD.

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,797

Post#127 » by Rich Rane » Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:48 pm

GTR11 wrote:Why not, if he's a true leader and smart like that like he wants to sound... let him write one.

The team isn't doing well so instead of telling them immediately along with taking mandatory post game interviews, lead the team by writing a book during the season and let them read about what they should do when it releases. Very good, GTR. Totally the correct path and he wouldn't attract any criticism at all.

Kidd the player was amazing, but even Kidd the drunk driving, domestic abusing, power grabber left the team on bad terms twice. You want things to stay within the team? How did his "migraines" go with the media, the fans, the front office, and his teammates?
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#128 » by kamaze » Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:55 pm

gigantes wrote:

Denial in full effect.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
r_obinkim
Ballboy
And1: 49

Post#129 » by r_obinkim » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:23 pm

kamaze wrote:
gigantes wrote:

Denial in full effect.
I agree with London Celtics - did anyone catch the last 20 minutes of the No Chill podcast (Ep64)? Gilbert Arenas goes into detail about how everything coaches want from their players - "make every possession count" is embodied in Kyrie's play style. He says Kyrie plays every game like it's the playoffs. Every shot matters, every rotation matters - it's a shame that he's allows himself to be open with his thoughts to the media ... From what we've seen from him (boasting and then shooting like 22% the next game), you'd think he'd realize his thoughts are.. fleeting at best. Why share them to begin with?? Discretion and respect goes a long way in any field and I think that's where Kyrie struggles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using RealGM mobile app
PG: J. Wall | I. Thomas| M. Dellavedova
SG: B. McLemore | J. Fredette | J. Lamb
SF: J. Parker | J. Lamb
PF: B. Ingram | L. Samanic
C: Z. Collins | M. Chriss
gigantes
Starter

Post#130 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:59 pm

r_obinkim wrote:
kamaze wrote:
gigantes wrote:I'm not convinced Kyrie ever really had locker room problems. In fact, his Celtic teammates past and present seem to go out of their way to appreciate him both in interviews and face-to-face.

Denial in full effect.
I agree with London Celtics - did anyone catch the last 20 minutes of the No Chill podcast (Ep64)? Gilbert Arenas goes into detail about how everything coaches want from their players - "make every possession count" is embodied in Kyrie's play style. He says Kyrie plays every game like it's the playoffs. Every shot matters, every rotation matters - it's a shame that he's allows himself to be open with his thoughts to the media ... From what we've seen from him (boasting and then shooting like 22% the next game), you'd think he'd realize his thoughts are.. fleeting at best. Why share them to begin with?? Discretion and respect goes a long way in any field and I think that's where Kyrie struggles.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using RealGM mobile app

LondonCeltics was talking about him being a toxic locker room presence, though. I don't see how the podcast actually supports that idea.

My point above was that no matter how awkward Kyrie might be with his words at times, he does indeed bring it on the court and does get along well with his colleagues. What you wrote actually seems to confirm that.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#131 » by vincecarter4pres » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:40 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Why not, if he's a true leader and smart like that like he wants to sound... let him write one.

The team isn't doing well so instead of telling them immediately along with taking mandatory post game interviews, lead the team by writing a book during the season and let them read about what they should do when it releases. Very good, GTR. Totally the correct path and he wouldn't attract any criticism at all.

Kidd the player was amazing, but even Kidd the drunk driving, domestic abusing, power grabber left the team on bad terms twice. You want things to stay within the team? How did his "migraines" go with the media, the fans, the front office, and his teammates?

I always tend to thought Kidd would have been crucified by the media if we weren't their rag to riches, media darlings, the little brother Nets, risen up from the ashes. Like if the Nets were the now Brooklyn Nets, or the then New York Knicks, after the first 3 or 4 seasons of extreme success and that transition, miracle to make the playoffs year with half a season of VC added, they would have been torn to shreds by the media and the fans, especially Kidd's best kept secret, bus driver, **** attitude. Kidd was a great leader of wide eyed, naive, dumb youngin's. He was a God to them. He was great on the court with certain style of play and players. But butted heads with management, coaches and other star and just older, actual men players, or any players when he was the same young age as his teammates and in every stop before was a problem and had to play second fiddle and stay in line in Dallas his second go round.

Add to that the stuff you're talking about, DUI's, beating women, trying to get others traded, faking migraines, yelling at players, going into silent treatment with management and teammates, he didn't even lead by example most of the time.

We caught lightening in a bottle with him for about 5 seasons because he had to try something different off the court in his life and dedicate and to his credit he toed the line for awhile and because Rod helped build the perfect fit for his and his team's success around him on an unfair budget Katz and then Ratner, gave him.

But this M.O. that he was always this amazing natural born leader who treated everyone with respect, etc., is basically BS.

Some Nets fans have this unhealthy obsession with the man.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
gigantes
Starter

Post#132 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:25 pm

Btw, to me it just makes Nets fans look petty and obsessed when they drag Kidd's name through the mud in these situations. It's just so unnecessary, not to mention, only complicates things.

Now, I do have a more neutral position on Kidd than some some here do, which contributes to why I say that above. But even if I had a more negative view, I don't think the Kidd-bashing would still be a good look for the franchise and fans.

Meh. At some point I guess I could start a discussion thread addressing the list of reputational charges against the guy, but I'm not sure this is the right time, either. Nets fans are already divided enough at the moment IMO, and there's already enough current ammunition for outside trouble-makers to use.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#133 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:02 pm

gigantes wrote:Btw, to me it just makes Nets fans look petty and obsessed when they drag Kidd's name through the mud in these situations. It's just so unnecessary, not to mention, only complicates things.

Now, I do have a more neutral position on Kidd than some some here do, which contributes to why I say that above. But even if I had a more negative view, I don't think the Kidd-bashing would still be a good look for the franchise and fans.

Meh. At some point I guess I could start a discussion thread addressing the list of reputational charges against the guy, but I'm not sure this is the right time, either. Nets fans are already divided enough at the moment IMO, and there's already enough current ammunition for outside trouble-makers to use.

I think that Kidd was brought up because we've got a few folks on here, one of whom is a blatant troll that does nothing but spew negativity about Nets players and rarely acts like he's a fan of of the team, that are acting like Kyrie did something horrible and egregious when he did nothing of the sort.

This entire thing is ridiculous and I'm so embarrassed by the behavior of Nets fans who continue to push this narrative about Irving when the complete video of his remarks is available which puts things into context and doesn't have anything bad said about any player on the team. I've really had to keep myself in check because I really want to start unloading on certain people on here but I don't want to cause trouble for Rich and Nyce, but some folks are pushing it big time with this Anti Kyrie bull.

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#134 » by DarkXaero » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:30 pm

gigantes wrote:Btw, to me it just makes Nets fans look petty and obsessed when they drag Kidd's name through the mud in these situations. It's just so unnecessary, not to mention, only complicates things.

It isn't about dragging Kidd's name through the mud, its the truth and a comparison of the completely different perceptions of two star PGs. No one knows for sure for how it's going to turn out long-term with Kyrie, but I don't see any alarming signs yet, contrary to what the rest of the league/media would have us believe.
gigantes
Starter

Post#135 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 9:46 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:I think that Kidd was brought up because we've got a few folks on here, one of whom is a blatant troll that does nothing but spew negativity about Nets players and rarely acts like he's a fan of of the team, that are acting like Kyrie did something horrible and egregious when he did nothing of the sort.

This entire thing is ridiculous and I'm so embarrassed by the behavior of Nets fans who continue to push this narrative about Irving when the complete video of his remarks is available which puts things into context and doesn't have anything bad said about any player on the team. I've really had to keep myself in check because I really want to start unloading on certain people on here but I don't want to cause trouble for Rich and Nyce, but some folks are pushing it big time with this Anti Kyrie bull.

Yeah, I have him on ignore aside from the occasional post I unwisely click on and peek at. I don't know how you and some others can stand that constant low-effort negativity & bone-headedness.

Btw, I was just musing to myself earlier that loads of people are in fact doing a downright horrible job of accurately evaluating Kyrie. I mean, if you started by fairly evaluating his character, and nevertheless decide that his PR issues and whatnot make him too much of a headache, then fine. I can understand that.

But to start from the premise that he's a malcontent, trouble-making sh-t-stirrer as a human being, and that everything flows out of that, is such absolute, complete nonsense IMO. As someone who didn't care for him, this is something I had to figure out myself when he first signed here. But on the contrary, as I see it he's got a genuinely sweet personality. Over and over I notice his words, gestures and actions radiating friendliness, goodwill, respectfulness, a desire for peace on earth and a brotherhood of man. That area of person.

Now sure, he can layer on stubbornness, a weakness for conspiracy theories, and an over-earnestness in sharing his thoughts and beliefs, but that stuff is resting on the core IMO. Yes, he can be moody at times, uncooperative, and what have you, but as I see it, his intentions are consistently honest, sincere, and good-natured. I'm not sure how many other athletes at this level you can really say that about.

Bonus pts:When the Celtics inevitably crash and burn this postseason, I wonder who the NEXT whipping boy will be. Hayward, or someone else...? :P
gigantes
Starter

Post#136 » by gigantes » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:15 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

It isn't about dragging Kidd's name through the mud, its the truth and a comparison of the completely different perceptions of two star PGs. No one knows for sure for how it's going to turn out long-term with Kyrie, but I don't see any alarming signs yet, contrary to what the rest of the league/media would have us believe.

I disagree, which is why I added what I did at the end. Regardless, have fun with that; I don't intend to address it at the present time.
GYK
General Manager
And1: 2,627

Post#137 » by GYK » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:22 pm

nothing he said was wrong. my only complaint would be he didn't acknowledge how he is percieved in the media. he has to know he specifically will have his words twisted to fit the negative narrative they want to push with him and KD.
with that said, again, he's completely right. defensively we, from Brownsville, aren't good defensively. middle of the pack. offensively, even with Durant I don't see overwhelming offense. Prince has been bad and his conract has to be moved on from, packaged with the young end of the bench and picks for another player.
Nets have 10 future 1st in the next 8 seasons
13 for certain and a possible 18 2nd round picks.
to play GM for a bit I would see if Bogdanovic/Bjelcia from the Kings for Musa/Kurcus/Claxton/Pinsen/Temple and a slew fof 2nd rounders.
also trade Spencer for Robert Covington straight up.
lastley wait for the offseason to see what Carvis/Prince on their new contracts with Allen/1st can net us. ideally a third star.
of course resigning Bogdanovic/Joe.
Kyrie
Bogdanovic/Joe
Covington
Durant/Bjelica
Jordan
with whatever Allen/Caris/Prince/whatever rules allow of the 10 future 1st in 8 seasons.
center/point depth is lacking but on a contender you can fill that with FA ring chasers(quality players taking less to win a ring).
the front office can't be the fanbase and obsess over 42 wins when they plan to be a champion. moves need to be made. shooting and defense are lacking and won't improve just because Durant returns, actually the best we ever seen Durant was when shooting was around him. we won't get the quality of Steph and Klay but Kyrie/Joe/Bogdanovic/Bjelicia would be a great volume replacement. Robert is desperately needed for the wing matchups and who knows what a combined 30 million + picks + a young big can net us(pipedream Giannis offseason but more than likely 2 players ready for chmpionship contention).
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#138 » by GTR11 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:15 am

Some people here take stuff to personal. Chill out everyone has its opinion, time will tell who's right. There is no point to start civil war here, not worth it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#139 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:02 am

gigantes wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I think that Kidd was brought up because we've got a few folks on here, one of whom is a blatant troll that does nothing but spew negativity about Nets players and rarely acts like he's a fan of of the team, that are acting like Kyrie did something horrible and egregious when he did nothing of the sort.

Yeah, I have him on ignore aside from the occasional post I unwisely click on and peek at. I don't know how you and some others can stand that constant low-effort negativity & bone-headedness.

Btw, I was just musing to myself earlier that loads of people are in fact doing a downright horrible job of accurately evaluating Kyrie. I mean, if you started by fairly evaluating his character, and nevertheless decide that his PR issues and whatnot make him too much of a headache, then fine. I can understand that.

But to start from the premise that he's a malcontent, trouble-making sh-t-stirrer as a human being, and that everything flows out of that, is such absolute, complete nonsense IMO. As someone who didn't care for him, this is something I had to figure out myself when he first signed here. But on the contrary, as I see it he's got a genuinely sweet personality. Over and over I notice his words, gestures and actions radiating friendliness, goodwill, respectfulness, a desire for peace on earth and a brotherhood of man. That area of person.

Now sure, he can layer on stubbornness, a weakness for conspiracy theories, and an over-earnestness in sharing his thoughts and beliefs, but that stuff is resting on the core IMO. Yes, he can be moody at times, uncooperative, and what have you, but as I see it, his intentions are consistently honest, sincere, and good-natured. I'm not sure how many other athletes at this level you can really say that about.

Bonus pts:When the Celtics inevitably crash and burn this postseason, I wonder who the next whipping boy will be. Hayward, or someone else...? :P

All of the negativity regarding Kyrie is external. The main issue is right now the team is struggling and can't stay healthy. That is the bigger problem. We need to get back to winning games consistently

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#140 » by Prokorov » Mon Jan 20, 2020 5:16 am

kamaze wrote:
Paradise wrote:The name excluded are guys who are struggling to even keep up on a win now team. Youth or not. Allen, Rodi, Musa, Pinson.

I don’t think it was meant to throw an entire team under the bus but rather motivate some guys who are clearly a little too soft out there.

Jarret Allen played better than Kyrie that night. Kyrie was -29 plus minus :noway:

he praised jarret allen

"JA had a great game for us"

but dont let the facts get in the way of hating a nets player

Return to Brooklyn Nets