gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Kyrie: We need one or two more pieces 

Post#81 » by gigantes » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
As explained several times in this thread, he didn't. That's such a basic take and if that's the conclusion you came up with after watching/reading/listening to the entire interview, that's more of a you problem, not a Kyrie one.

He's name Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson? Ok than what makes him entitled to say how and what should be done. Like I said guy has no clue how to deliver his message.

By saying the under .500 team needs one or two more pieces to have championship aspirations? Do you need to be Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson to make that observation? I wouldn't have cared if TLC or someone on a 10-day contract made that observation.

However, I think it can be argued that it's a somewhat premature observation to make. Guys like Rodi and Prince were expected to grow in to the roles in question, and instead they've lagged. But they still may be able to reach the goal, not to mention a couple other players on the team may be able to similarly develop in to what the team needs to be elite.

So we're at a 'wait and see' situation, and Kyrie said something that was pretty easily attackable. This is what I meant by him saying something "troubling for his team," not so much "weird."

Again, I don't personally care. It's just Kyrie being Kyrie to me. But I can understand some Nets fans having a problem with it. At the same time, they should know better by now. It's just Kyrie, and what really matters is that his relationships with other players are pretty great individually, and of course he's a maestro on the court.

So... I just have a slightly different way of reaching the conclusion that this stuff is of no import.
azee2890
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#82 » by azee2890 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:38 pm

De..ja...vu

Kyrie says some dumb things that get blown out of proportion. The fan base spends tons of energy psychoanalyzing his comments. Fans agree this is nothing to worry about and hopefully this won’t happen again. Meanwhile the team plays better with Kyrie off the floor, his super stardom is questioned by both fans and teammates. Feeling threatened, he will make more comments, creating a rift between him and his teammates. This will also cause a rift between the fans. Those that preach he is the answer once he can play with a superstar (AD or KD) and those that value team basketball and chemistry.

We’ll see where this leads. You guys have two very talented but very volatile players leading your team. Exciting to watch but drama always follows both of them. It’s like building your house our of dynamite.

One thing is for sure though. It’s not common that a superstar signs onto a team and halfway through the season you already have discontent stirring amongst the fan base. Not a good look.

Signed, an admitted Kyrie hater.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,790

Post#83 » by Rich Rane » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm

LOUiS-D wrote:After watching the full interview... yep this story is cherry picked, clickbait. You can fault him for playing into Tim Bontemps' weasely hands with his wording. That's about it. This is a fking non story. Anyone saying he's stupid, disloyal, a bad leader, etc based on this... stop. Watch the video. Chill.

Back to basketball, everyone.

It's easier to read an excerpt than a full article or watch a cut than an entire video and react solely off that and join the mob.

GTR11 wrote:Feel free to disagree all you want. At this point there's 100 people with different takes out there that will fit their narratives. Also you, me or anyone else have no idea how other players feel about it now. It's a stick with both ends.

Yet, you're the one giving an opinion "as a teammate". Maybe I'm wrong for giving the benefit of the doubt the rest of the team actually read or listened to that entire interview.

gigantes wrote:However, I think it can be argued that it's a somewhat premature observation to make. Guys like Rodi and Prince were expected to grow in to the roles in question, and instead they've lagged. But they still may be able to reach the goal, not to mention a couple other players on the team may be able to similarly develop in to what the team needs to be elite.

So we're at a 'wait and see' situation, and Kyrie said something that was pretty easily attackable. This is what I meant by him saying something "troubling for his team," not so much "weird."

Again, I don't personally care. It's just Kyrie being Kyrie to me. But I can understand some Nets fans having a problem with it. At the same time, they should know better by now. It's just Kyrie, and what really matters is that his relationships with other players are pretty great individually, and of course he's a maestro on the court.

So... I just have a slightly different way of reaching the conclusion that this stuff is of no import.

I'm sorry, but for me, it's simply not enough the guys that have lagged return to last season's forms. We were expecting growth, not a step back and then at best a step forward. The question was about championship aspirations. Simply being as good as last year doesn't do that this year. Adding KD changes lots of things next year, but he alone won't fix simple things like free throw shooting, making open threes, and finishing around the rim.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#84 » by GTR11 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:57 pm

gigantes wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:He's name Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson? Ok than what makes him entitled to say how and what should be done. Like I said guy has no clue how to deliver his message.

By saying the under .500 team needs one or two more pieces to have championship aspirations? Do you need to be Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson to make that observation? I wouldn't have cared if TLC or someone on a 10-day contract made that observation.

However, I think it can be argued that it's a somewhat premature observation to make. Guys like Rodi and Prince were expected to grow in to the roles in question, and instead they've lagged. But they still may be able to reach the goal, not to mention a couple other players on the team may be able to similarly develop in to what the team needs to be elite.

Here is perfect example. Rachel is on point saying less is more sometimes when it comes to media. I'm not disagreeing with Kyrie about his thoughts it's how and what you say. It can and will affect others.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
GTR11
RealGM

Post#85 » by GTR11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:29 am

azee2890 wrote:De..ja...vu

Kyrie says some dumb things that get blown out of proportion. The fan base spends tons of energy psychoanalyzing his comments. Fans agree this is nothing to worry about and hopefully this won’t happen again. Meanwhile the team plays better with Kyrie off the floor, his super stardom is questioned by both fans and teammates. Feeling threatened, he will make more comments, creating a rift between him and his teammates. This will also cause a rift between the fans. Those that preach he is the answer once he can play with a superstar (AD or KD) and those that value team basketball and chemistry.

We’ll see where this leads. You guys have two very talented but very volatile players leading your team. Exciting to watch but drama always follows both of them. It’s like building your house our of dynamite.

One thing is for sure though. It’s not common that a superstar signs onto a team and halfway through the season you already have discontent stirring amongst the fan base. Not a good look.

Yup exactly my problem with him. He keeps feeding clown ass haters like you with (Please Use More Appropriate Word) takes. Any other Net fan was getting banned for saying much less. You here trolling and getting away with murder is sad reality.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#86 » by DarkXaero » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:58 am

As long as Kyrie's teammates don't take anything personally, I really don't care ultimately. But Kyrie is right, we'll likely need to make moves in the summer.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Post#87 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 am

Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
As explained several times in this thread, he didn't. That's such a basic take and if that's the conclusion you came up with after watching/reading/listening to the entire interview, that's more of a you problem, not a Kyrie one.

He's name Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson? Ok than what makes him entitled to say how and what should be done. Like I said guy has no clue how to deliver his message.

The team is 18-22 and people act like what Irving said is appalling. This is not even remotely close to a championship caliber roster.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#88 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:10 am

GTR11 wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
GTR11 wrote:He's name Sean Marks or Kenny Atkinson? Ok than what makes him entitled to say how and what should be done. Like I said guy has no clue how to deliver his message.

A lot of hypocrisy here just to defend a guy who's not willing to learn. Like I said Kyrie needs to think before he say anything and think again how he's going to deliver that message. He might be right but how he does it, is issue. Markinson better get in his head ASAP and let him know that he should've consulted with them first.
At this point I have no doubt he's weak minded and as an opposition I'll exploit it to full advantage. As a teammate I'll act as a pro but he lost me right here.

He didn't even bother to watch the entire interview, you can tell.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#89 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:12 am

azee2890 wrote:De..ja...vu

The team is 18-22. The idea that they are better without him is utterly stupid. Where were you when the Nets dropped 7 straight games without Kyrie, asleep somewhere? Crawl back into your hole.

halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
And1: 176

Post#90 » by halfHAVOC » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:18 am

Prokorov wrote:
halfHAVOC wrote:Just a dumb thing to say publicly by naming people and leaving others out. Also how does he know how this will work when KD hasn't played yet?

you arent going to name all 15 guys, the 2 two-way contracts, the entire g-league roster, and guys whose international rights you own in a post game response. he is just throwing the main guys names out off the cuff. Considering 60 seconds early he praised allen, im sure he isnt trying to throw allen out there like he needs to be traded.

Not the point, he shouldn't even mention the names period. Why even stir the pot when you're midway through a season, after coming off a big stretch of missed games, off a loss where you played poorly? If you're going to lead this team while KD is out, it's just idiotic to say something like that ESPECIALLY when that's not an issue right now because KD isn't back til next season...so say it then if Nets aren't dominating. For someone so smart, he needs to have more awareness than that.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
GTR11
RealGM

Post#91 » by GTR11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:30 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:

The team is 18-22 and people act like what Irving said is appalling. This is not even remotely close to a championship caliber roster.

I did, every team is and will be missing one or two players to be dominant dynasty. That's why we got salary cap. Great players elevate their games to make others around them better. Is he confident in himself? What's his mental state etc will be questioned not only by fans and media but players as well.
There's corporate line's made for a reason. You avoid any scrutiny that can cause issues. If he feels about this team certain way than talk with FO and keep it within org. You take that outside media and fans will twist it anyway they want. Professionalism simple professionalism can go a long way.
I get the fact you guys trying to protect him but when he's going to learn, he just can't be reckless with his mouth like that. He just saw how things can turn out if things will get misunderstood.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,237

Post#92 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:53 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:He just threw half the team under the bus. Not good.

-takes some blame himself early to start the interview
-Gives props to spencer and Allen
-talks about Jordan's injury hurtng, having to go small with chandler (6'7") at center not being ideal
-talks about the potential of the dinwidide/leverlt/irving lineup kenny has talked about and saw action "need more reps together" injury preventing that
-says he wont think about team usa until after the season, focus on the season

then the question that leads to the headline quote is asked... basically asking him, does this loss show how far you are from a title with KD out"

-focus on this last comment/question... when he reiterates "what were missing (KD) is glaring.

he is more saying they need KD back to win a title then saying anyone isnt cutting it. people are making this a shot at Jarrett Allen (but he praises allen) and harris (but he praises harris after the game)

show me where he throws anyone under the bus?

Ya can't be serious. He name dropped KD, DJ, Levert, Din and excluded everybody else. Saying we need a piece or 2, as to say we can move the other guys for a better piece than them. That's definitely throwing his teammates under the bus, like Prince and Temple etc.. Saying they're not good enough pieces to compliment him and KD and the others he name dropped. I don't know what his intentions were but you CANNOT say things like that, even if he didn't mean it in that way. Him and KD are Max players, what else does he need? I get that we do need a wing defender but that's really our only glaring need. He's acting like we're one star away from a chip with KD.

This is why I respected Westbrook so much because once KD left everybody knew OKC was not going anywhere even if they were playoff bound. And the media would always try to set him up saying stuff like , "you had a triple double but your teammates missed alot of shots etc.. they weren't so good tonight, do you think you need another star here?" things like that, and he would always say "no we have what we need and my teammates are perfect for me ".. he rides and die with his teammates. You can say alot about Westbrook but that always stood out to me.
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#93 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:57 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

-takes some blame himself early to start the interview
-Gives props to spencer and Allen
-talks about Jordan's injury hurtng, having to go small with chandler (6'7") at center not being ideal
-talks about the potential of the dinwidide/leverlt/irving lineup kenny has talked about and saw action "need more reps together" injury preventing that
-says he wont think about team usa until after the season, focus on the season

then the question that leads to the headline quote is asked... basically asking him, does this loss show how far you are from a title with KD out"

-focus on this last comment/question... when he reiterates "what were missing (KD) is glaring.

he is more saying they need KD back to win a title then saying anyone isnt cutting it. people are making this a shot at Jarrett Allen (but he praises allen) and harris (but he praises harris after the game)

show me where he throws anyone under the bus?

Ya can't be serious. He name dropped KD, DJ, Levert, Din and excluded everybody else. Saying we need a piece or 2, as to say we can move the other guys for a better piece than them. That's definitely throwing his teammates under the bus, like Prince and Temple etc.. Saying they're not good enough pieces to compliment him and KD and the others he name dropped. I don't know what his intentions were but you CANNOT say things like that, even if he didn't mean it in that way. Him and KD are Max players, what else does he need? I get that we do need a wing defender but that's really our only glaring need. He's acting like we're one star away from a chip with KD.

It was a post game interview, not some press conference or off day demand. He literally talks about having "great complimentary young guys, as well, that have done a great job the last three years" before he name drops off the top of his head. Did you even read the quote, let alone the entire interview? One of the players he listed, was Temple.

This is why I respected Westbrook so much because once KD left everybody knew OKC was not going anywhere even if they were playoff bound. And the media would always try to set him up saying stuff like , "you had a triple double but your teammates missed alot of shots etc.. they weren't so good tonight, do you think you need another star here?" things like that, and he would always say "no we have what we need and my teammates are perfect for me ".. he rides and die with his teammates. You can say alot about Westbrook but that always stood out to me.

It's because of quotes like that is the reason Westbrook's reputation around the league is a stat padder even at the cost of wins and teammates' numbers. I'm not saying that he is a stat padder, but you could see people react so easily to quotes.

And does he ride or die with his teammates? If that was the case, wouldn't he still be in a Thunder uniform instead of being traded to a "preferred" destination. There was also rumors he demanded a trade not long after the Blazers series.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#94 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:34 pm

Nets fans all season:

"Jarrett Allen is soft and offensively limited!"

"Caris LeVert is injury prone and can't shoot!"

"DeAndre Jordan is lazy af!!!"

"Spencer can't shoot threes and makes poor decisions in the 4th!!"

"Taurean Prince is a moron!!"

"Musa is not an NBA player!!"

"We need a 3rd PG, Theo sucks ASS!!"

Kyrie Irving:

"Yeah I think we'll need to add a few more pieces this summer."

Nets fans:

This fanbase is an embarrassment.

Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#95 » by Claud » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:57 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Nets fans all season:

Kyrie Irving:

Nets fans:

Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets

Post#96 » by Rich Rane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:03 pm

Claud wrote:

"I can be bought. If they paid me enough, I'd work for the Klan."
- Charles Barkley
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Kyrie: We need one or two more pieces  

Post#97 » by Paradise » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:01 pm

Rich Rane wrote:
Claud wrote:

- Charles Barkley

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

GTR11
RealGM

Post#98 » by GTR11 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=20
:lol:
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#99 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Claud wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Nets fans all season:

Kyrie Irving:

Nets fans:

Do you think this roster right now is fit for a championship run?

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#100 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:29 pm

Paradise wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
Claud wrote:

- Charles Barkley

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

I'm glad he said this. He said nothing wrong. He's living rent free in a lot of people's heads right now and it's disgusting.

And to Nets fans who are clutching their pearls over this, these are the words of a guy that wants to win. He actually gives a ****.

Yall have short memories because I'll take this mindset over someone like Deron Williams who came here and didn't give a damn

Return to Brooklyn Nets