Nondescript
Pro Prospect
And1: 175

Re: GT: Bucks vs Nets - Saturday, 01/18/20 | 6:00pm EST | NBATV 

Post#101 » by Nondescript » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:01 am

Rich Rane wrote:
Nondescript wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:
I have a lot of Mets friends who tell me this like every offseason, especially after 2015. As a Yankees fan, I hope you're right about the Mets this season.

Well if Im wrong, I'm wrong, playing ball in October is super hard and an actual achievement unlike the NBA. Ceiling is 90ish wins and floor is probably mid 70s. Either way I don't have whole lot of expectations until Steve Cohen takes over so I won't be taking it on the chin unlike this Nets season.

When is Cohen supposed to take over? Could've done some damage this offseason with new money.

2025 is when all aspects of the team are officially vested in him but the deal isn't official yet which I am guessing is why there hasn't been any big FA moves. He is already a minority owner so when the deal gets approved I expect the Mets will start splashing around cash even if it is before 2025, it won't be the Wilpons money so I doubt they will give a ****. If the Steve Cohen deal falls through I am killing myself or changing teams, I refuse to be like one of those Knicks fans slavish following the Knicks while Dolan jerks off in the corner.
NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#102 » by NetsJets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:04 am

This team is bad. That’s all.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#103 » by MGrand15 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 2:20 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:Man, this first half of the season has been a complete disaster. The only positive was when Dinwiddie carried the team against bad teams for that short stretch.

Outside of that we had:

Rodi's DV case
Kyrie breaking his face and missing some training camp + preseason
China debacle
Chandler's PED suspension
Harris playing a ton of off-season minutes in the Olympics
LeVert surgery
Kyrie shoulder impingement
Little to no improvement from LeVert, Allen, Pinson or Musa
Prince playing worse than advertised

Right now we're on par with the Chicago Bulls in Net RTG. Poor execution and effort has been a theme all season. That's just not Nets basketball.

I know some of y'all are gonna cry about this being an overreaction to a loss against the best team in the league. It's been happening all year. Things are gonna have to change QUICKLY if Kenny doesn't want to get on the hot seat. Which IMO is basically the worst case scenario for this season.

Good recap of the season thus far. Yeah, it’s been pretty disappointing.

On day 1, Kyrie showed how much better he was than every other active Net player. I’d forgotten the type of talent a star can have on our team. He’s a A-tier star playing with mostly D-tier players.

I’d put Spencer right on the cusp of B-tier. (He’s a B when he has his head on straight and a C when he’s not. Unfortunately, C-tier Spencer shows up more often than I’d like.) And since Din has a similar yet worse skill set than Kyrie, they don’t complement each other well. As a result, we get diminishing returns when they play together.

I’d put Allen firmly in the C-tier. He plays good defense but he still lacks almost any semblance of an offensive game. Outside of alley-oops and finishing shovel passes when he’s next to the rim, he looks scared or awkward whenever he has the ball and actually decides to make a move.

Joe has been bad overall. It wouldn’t surprise me if playing in China overworked him. I could see him start to pick it back up in the 2nd half though.

It pains me to say that Caris is definitely D-tier. I’ve been adamant since the 2018 offseason that he needed/needs a jumper to take his game to the next level. As a result of not having a reliable jumpshot, teams overload the paint on his drives and he ends up taking tougher than normal shots. His PER and TS% have gone down every season he’s been in the league. In today’s NBA, you must be able to shoot consistently to be a threat, unless you’re insanely talented as a playmaker and defender like Ben Simmons (who could even be much more dominant if he too had a jumpshot).

I think GT is probably the only one who has been (slightly) better than advertised.

I like Clayton too, but he’s a rookie so I won’t judge him that much.

In short, even the core that Kyrie mentioned hasn’t been all that good. If Spencer regresses in any way, this could be an ugly season.

Agree on the first part. That's a positive I forgot to mention. Kyrie offensively is as good as advertised. True star.

Claxton is also a positive. Looks like a very legit player on both ends. If he bulks up like a normal NBA player - not at JA pace - I expect him to be really good.

Caris has been bad - even for his normal inconsistent standards. He's at 60% from the free throw line on decent volume. No longer getting to the rim like he used to. Defense has been worse than usual. Really disappointing start.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,190

Post#104 » by skones » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:03 am

Stone wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Nondescript wrote:Why the **** is Bill Clinton at a Nets game?
He attends Nets-Bucks games because of Brook Lopez, I think.

Bill Clinton was at last seasons game against the Bucks on February 4th. Sitting court side dead center. He got a pretty big round of applause when they put him up on the big screen.

He is friends with one of our owners Marc Lasry.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,885

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:32 am

Despite the fact that this was vs the Bucks, the team validated Kyrie's comments.

This is not a championship roster.

Some pieces will need to be moved.

Don't get mad at Kyrie for speaking the truth.

LeVert and Prince signed extensions and they have been awful. Let's start there before you want to start bitching about Irving.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#106 » by kamaze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:15 am

Nic Claxton played good he's thefuture.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
kamaze
General Manager

Post#107 » by kamaze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:26 am

The Nets are 28th in 3 pointers made despite being close to the top in attempts...The game plan It's not working.

Edit- 7th in 3 point attempts and 30th in 3 point makes.

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 659

Post#108 » by NetsJets » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:00 pm

kamaze wrote:The Nets are 28th in 3 pointers made despite being close to the top in attempts...The game plan It's not working.

But but analytics

But but it’s the system
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#109 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:13 pm

NetsJets wrote:
kamaze wrote:The Nets are 28th in 3 pointers made despite being close to the top in attempts...The game plan It's not working.

But but analytics

But but it’s the system

We need to learn how to take some darn mid range shots, sometimes we have those wide open all day long but like you said... analytics. The only one that takes mid range are Kyrie. Din can be taking those all day but don't for some reason.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#110 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:16 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:Despite the fact that this was vs the Bucks, the team validated Kyrie's comments.

LeVert and Prince signed extensions and they have been awful. Let's start there before you want to start bitching about Irving.

I don't think we're that far off tho. We signed 2 max star level guys, so we got the hard part out of the way. Now it's just getting the right complimentary pieces obviously. We need that tough wing defender (Covington maybe) .. and another one of those. Levert and Prince extensions are looking bad though, but I don't have any doubt Levert will turn it up. Prince only does one thing.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#111 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:14 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Despite the fact that this was vs the Bucks, the team validated Kyrie's comments.

I don't think we're that far off tho. We signed 2 max star level guys, so we got the hard part out of the way. Now it's just getting the right complimentary pieces obviously. We need that tough wing defender (Covington maybe) .. and another one of those. Levert and Prince extensions are looking bad though, but I don't have any doubt Levert will turn it up. Prince only does one thing.

I'm hoping I'm wrong about both of them but right now this isn't looking good. Their advanced numbers are putrid.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#112 » by kamaze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:04 pm

Papi_swav wrote:

Prince does a little something just not enough he is playing out of position. LeVert is just booty.

Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#113 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:07 pm

kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:

Prince does a little something just not enough he is playing out of position. LeVert is just booty.

No I think you got it the other way around. Prince is pretty much just a shooter, so when his shot isn't falling then he's almost useless. Levert can at least create for himself and others, he's just off to a slow start. We have to give him until the end of the season at least. Prince is who he is at this point. We don't need one dimensional players. We should of gave that contract to Joe.
kamaze
General Manager

Post#114 » by kamaze » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:I don't think we're that far off tho. We signed 2 max star level guys, so we got the hard part out of the way. Now it's just getting the right complimentary pieces obviously. We need that tough wing defender (Covington maybe) .. and another one of those. Levert and Prince extensions are looking bad though, but I don't have any doubt Levert will turn it up. Prince only does one thing.

No I think you got it the other way around. Prince is pretty much just a shooter, so when his shot isn't falling then he's almost useless. Levert can at least create for himself and others, he's just off to a slow start. We have to give him until the end of the season at least. Prince is who he is at this point. We don't need one dimensional players. We should of gave that contract to Joe.

LeVert is garbage there's a lack of accountability on this team. And some of you act like you are scared to be honest about players and coaches.

Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#115 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:33 pm

kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
kamaze wrote:

LeVert is garbage there's a lack of accountability on this team. And some of you act like you are scared to be honest about players and coaches.

I know you're not talking to me, I'm one of the harshest critiques around here. Talk to your boy MDB lol he's the one that gets defensive when you call a player out. You definitely know Levert is not garbage, we've seen him grow as a player. He is just injury prone. He'll have a breakout game soon then he'll find his rhythm. But I do question his fit on this team when KD comes back.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#116 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:10 am

Papi_swav wrote:
kamaze wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:No I think you got it the other way around. Prince is pretty much just a shooter, so when his shot isn't falling then he's almost useless. Levert can at least create for himself and others, he's just off to a slow start. We have to give him until the end of the season at least. Prince is who he is at this point. We don't need one dimensional players. We should of gave that contract to Joe.

I know you're not talking to me, I'm one of the harshest critiques around here. Talk to your boy MDB lol he's the one that gets defensive when you call a player out. You definitely know Levert is not garbage, we've seen him grow as a player. He is just injury prone. He'll have a breakout game soon then he'll find his rhythm. But I do question his fit on this team when KD comes back.

Dude, I literally called out LeVert and Prince in this thread.

And I find it hilarious that kamaze is talking about bring honest about players when he was one of the people clutching pearls about Kyrie correctly stating that the roster needs work.

kamaze
General Manager

Post#117 » by kamaze » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:50 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
kamaze wrote:

Dude, I literally called out LeVert and Prince in this thread.

And I find it hilarious that kamaze is talking about bring honest about players when he was one of the people clutching pearls about Kyrie correctly stating that the roster needs work.

And MDB would have you waiting for this team to get better waiting for nothing. The team is 1-3 in their last 4 games they're 18-23 but wait the team is going to get better somehow lol. You are what your record is.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#118 » by GTR11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:22 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Want to see more Clax to push Allen to be more aggressive. Good healthy competition here.

I agree with you, but at the same time unless you’re rookie LBJ or MJ, a rookie shouldn’t be inspiring you. You should already be self-motivated.

See that's the thing with Allen he will be scared of the moment. Clax on the other hand looking to step up. I'm high on him because tools there just need to craft it. Want him to get some playing time because he provides that energy as well.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#119 » by GTR11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:29 am

I have all the faith in Markinson. Unlike previous years we got competent FO this time around. I think smart move be to ride this thing out and make moves if necessary during off-season. I'm among the others should keep myself calm and avoid hot takes. Be hard though with the way team underperforming, lack of effort is just a killer.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#120 » by GTR11 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:33 am

DarkXaero wrote:
NyCeEvO wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Want to see more Clax to push Allen to be more aggressive. Good healthy competition here.

I agree with you, but at the same time unless you’re rookie LBJ or MJ, a rookie shouldn’t be inspiring you. You should already be self-motivated.
In fairness, Allen was our best starter tonight. Didn't score but made plays on the defensive end.

He needs to expend his game. He's not dominant as Rudy to be just a rim runner. More of than not we playing 5 on 4 when it comes to offensive side. Results as we can see desire for better. It's on Kenny as well to expend his playbook.

Return to Brooklyn Nets