ImageImageImageImageImage

doom and gloom, no playoffs, bury this team... yada nonsense

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

doom and gloom, no playoffs, bury this team... yada nonsense 

Post#1 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:06 pm

Figured i'd separate this into its own thread instead of responding to people in 3 others. But people here are being overly emotional and pouty, which is ok its is less fun watching when the team is losing... But this trend keeps coming up about this nonsense that we are going to miss the playoffs or if we dont make a run these next 7 games we are buried and the season is over and I'm here to tell you that part (Missing the playoffs) some unadulterated NONSENSE!

Papi_swav wrote:we ain't going anywhere this year so idk what you're talking about. The farthest we'll go is the 2nd round, if we can even make the playoffs.

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Next 7 are against below .500 teams. We have to go 5-2 or at worst 4-3 if we want a chance at staying afloat.

Any worse than that and we probably miss the playoffs.

NyCeEvO wrote:Unless something miraculous happens, it seems like we could actually miss the playoffs. The only silver lining to such a season would be that our draft pick would be the highest Markinson have had.

MrDollarBills wrote:I don't know how anyone can watch this team and have anything positive to say. It's not fun to watch at all. This is a bad basketball team and I don't think Kevin Durant is going to change that. We need to start moving parts. This team could easily miss the playoffs

I don't think people realize the position we are in, they just see loses or watch loses and throw in the towel out of emotion without considering circumstance or the teams behind us.

We are 2.5 up on the pistons
We are 3 up on the bulls
we are 3.5 up on the wizards
we are 4 up on charlotte

The idea we need to "win at least 4 or 5 to have a "chance" to stay afloat is absurd and ignores all forms of Math. If we go 1-6 and the pistons go 1-7 we would be 2.5 back of them with 30+ games to play. You are telling me that 30+ games to erase a 2.5 game deficit to a terrible pistons team is unsurmountable? nonsense. and thats if we lose 6 of 7 and they win 6 of 7 (they havent won 3 of 4 all year let alone 6 of 7

The bulls are not looking to make the playoffs
The hornets have a 7 game losing streak
The wizards are getting their doors blown off nightly and losing to teams like the bulls and cavs

We have a decent cushion on those teams and unlike them we have reason to expect to get better as we have star players/top players returning and they dont.

Don't overract and be emotional, 1-4 in our last 5 is no insult considering:

vs Lakers (#1 in west)
vs. Bucks (#1 in east)
vs. Sixers (no kyrie)
vs. Jazz (18-2 in last 20 games)
vs. Sixers (second of a back to back on the road; kyries second game back)

The sky is not falling. step back from the ledge. its more likely we have a 5 game lead on those teams then we drop in the standings
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: doom and gloom, no playoffs, bury this team... yada nonsense 

Post#2 » by MGrand15 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:25 pm

I don't understand this argument at all. 8 seed in the East is basically missing the playoffs. In no way does it imply that you're even playing DECENT basketball. It's really not anything to praise.

Our projected record by 538 is 36-46. Technically still in the playoffs but that would classify as a really disappointing season. We lose our draft pick, get smoked in the first round by Milwaukee, regress from last year significantly. That might be the worst case scenario outside of Kyrie going nuclear and demanding a trade.

Hopefully we get healthy and the team can really get going but let's not pretend that Chicago, Charlotte, and Washington is our competition. Those are young rebuilding teams.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 3:40 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I don't understand this argument at all. 8 seed in the East is basically missing the playoffs. In no way does it imply that you're even playing DECENT basketball. It's really not anything to praise.

There is no "basically missing the playoffs". You either make it or you dont make it. How much it is or isnt praise worthy is a completely separate argument. People here are overreacting and have us as a terrible lotto team that wont play in the post season. that is extremely unlikely.

Our projected record by 538 is 36-46. Technically still in the playoffs but that would classify as a really disappointing season. We lose our draft pick, get smoked in the first round by Milwaukee, regress from last year significantly. That might be the worst case scenario outside of Kyrie going nuclear and demanding a trade.

1) That projection is invalid. Our entire season has been plagued by injury. forecasting needs to take into accout who we are moving forward. 538 is relyignt oo much on small sample sizes of on/off numbers.

2) We can certainly beat the heat, and we still could be a 7 seed with them as a 2. Tornoto is tough. philyl and boston probably will be 4 and 5 seed.

Hopefully we get healthy and the team can really get going but let's not pretend that Chicago, Charlotte, and Washington is our competition. Those are young rebuilding teams.

they are our competition for the last playoff seeds.
clo12345
Freshman
And1: 19

Post#4 » by clo12345 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:05 pm

If you think the team as currently constructed has any shot of winning a championship then you're sorely mistaken. We would get thrashed defensively in the playoffs. The 3 guard lineup of Kyrie, Dinwiddie and Levert isn't good enough to overcome how bad they are defensively. Even with Durant back we need to make a few changes.
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,002

Post#5 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:20 pm

The team has been playing like garbage since December. Almost everyone on the roster looks like they have regressed. Even the all-star buzz Dinwidddie was getting quickly died because he started playing worse.

Yes, injuries have hurt chemistry and continuuity but the team has zero identity right now, especially on offense. THe NEts are the worst 4thQ team in the league. This is inexcusable. THis was a problem even when everyone was healthy.

There is a lot wrong with this team and scraping into the playoffs as an 8th seed, to be embarrassed by Milwaukee is nothing to be celebrated.

THe team has been a disappointment so far, even the biggest Nets homer would agree. If not, you are just being delusional/contrarian.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#6 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:22 pm

clo12345 wrote:If you think the team as currently constructed has any shot of winning a championship then you're sorely mistaken.

Who said anything remotely close to this. Strawman argument of the highest proportions.

We would get thrashed defensively in the playoffs. The 3 guard lineup of Kyrie, Dinwiddie and Levert isn't good enough to overcome how bad they are defensively. Even with Durant back we need to make a few changes.

Of course they would compete. We are a solid matchup with Miami. Beat them already without Kyrie and lost in the final seconds without kyrie and levert. Our defense is good enough to get it done.

Re: Durant, it all depends what durant we get. with a 85-90% durant we dont need to make any changes. He would gaurantee finals at the least
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#7 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:30 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:The team has been playing like garbage since December. Almost everyone on the roster looks like they have regressed. Even the all-star buzz Dinwidddie was getting quickly died because he started playing worse.

We have played our best basketball the past 15 games. The record needs to be taken in context, you can just go by wins and losses without considering who was active and who we played. I think the game vs the Jazz was one of our best all season. The Nets beating the Cavs doesnt mean they played better than when we lost to the Jazz or Sixers. In fact we played really awful in the wins over the Bulls and Cavs. 2 of our worst performances all year.

And dinwiddie didnt "Start playing worse" He ran into bigger competition and teams adjusting. Like the Bucks and Jazz and Sixers are elite defenses, they are gonna fare better vs. you than the kings or knicks or cavs. especially after they realize if they lock you down Musa and Pinson wont be able to beat you

Yes, injuries have hurt chemistry and continuuity but the team has zero identity right now, especially on offense. THe NEts are the worst 4thQ team in the league. This is inexcusable. THis was a problem even when everyone was healthy.

it is 100% excuseable. When you rely on Prince and Temple to carry you in the 4th after diniwddie your not going to have success. Once Kyrie and Levert hit midseason form that will change drastically

and of course we have an identity a gritty super hard working team that plays 48 minutes and moves the ball on offense and feasts on pick and rolls. that just doesnt result in wins when you ask Musa and Prince to shoulder the load.

It is unfathomable that no one gives this team and slack for not having its best players. like if the lakers had no lebron/AD or the clippers had no KAwhi and Pg or the bucks had no Giannis and middleton im sure they wouldnt be where they are now

THe team has been a disappointment so far, even the biggest Nets homer would agree. If not, you are just being delusional/contrarian.

0 disappoinment... only fair weather emotional fans who dont understand basketball or are too emotional to realize that missing your top players and relying on D-leaguers isnt going to work long term.

This season has been nothing but enocuarging. we should be like 8-32 right now. we held the fort. now we are getting healthy and playing normal teams not elite teams

again im goign to call you out hardcore when we are back at .500 and you try and change your tune
clo12345
Freshman

Post#8 » by clo12345 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:41 pm

Prok I just don't see it. Team doesn't have the same confidence, ball movement and chemistry as last years.

Small sample but it hasn't been great with Kyrie on the court either. I'm hoping for things to turn around but its hard to be that optimistic.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,855

Post#9 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 24, 2020 4:57 pm

If we don't put together at least a 5-2 string over these next set of games, I can't say anything but this season has been a disaster. Irving is clearly not healthy, which compounds the problem.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#10 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:12 pm

clo12345 wrote:Prok I just don't see it. Team doesn't have the same confidence, ball movement and chemistry as last years.

It is hard to have confidence with Kyrie on the bench and Pinson on the floor. and id disagree with that anyway, you listen to these guys, there is 0 panic, they know what they have had early and what they have now and are their confidence is not shaken.

Ball movement is better than last year by the numbers, but quite a bit. shooting is down, thats what happens when musa and pinson take a ton of threes and pricne and temple are asked to be go to scorers.

Small sample but it hasn't been great with Kyrie on the court either. I'm hoping for things to turn around but its hard to be that optimistic.

our offense is elite this year when kyrie is on the floor. i think 5th or 6th in points per possesson. it was 3rd before we ran into milwaukee, utah, and philly back to back to back
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#11 » by Prokorov » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:13 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If we don't put together at least a 5-2 string over these next set of games, I can't say anything but this season has been a disaster. Irving is clearly not healthy, which compounds the problem.

so if we go 4-3 in this stretch, finish the year 44-38 and beat miami in the first round and take agame from the bucks that would be a disaster?
clo12345
Freshman

Post#12 » by clo12345 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:17 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:If we don't put together at least a 5-2 string over these next set of games, I can't say anything but this season has been a disaster. Irving is clearly not healthy, which compounds the problem.

If he's not healthy then why is he playing regular minutes? It's weird how our team treats him, seems like he gets treated differently.

Last night early in the game Kyrie gets called for a foul and motions to the coaching staff that he wants it challenged. It's normally a terrible spot to challenge it and way to close. But Kenny decides to immediately challenge it because...its Kyrie? I thought Kenny wasn't the type to give preferential treatment.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#13 » by drchaos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:26 pm

Going into this season I think we were all expecting Levert, Prince, and Kurucs to improve while hoping that either Musa or Pinson could take a couple more steps in the right direction.

Even Harris who looked good in the beginning of the year does not seem like the same player now.

Kyrie and his big mouth take a lot of heat of this team's failure but aside from Dinwiddie, Allen, and Claxton not much has gone right this season.

Nwaba and Shumpert gave us a boost but neither player is suiting up for us any time soon.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#14 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:

so if we go 4-3 in this stretch, finish the year 44-38 and beat miami in the first round and take agame from the bucks that would be a disaster?

No. But we have to seriously capitalize on this stretch vs non playoff teams. the hole that we've dug for ourselves is becoming really bad.

MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#15 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 24, 2020 5:28 pm

drchaos wrote:Going into this season I think we were all expecting Levert, Prince, and Kurucs to improve while hoping that either Musa or Pinson could take a couple more steps in the right direction.

Even Harris who looked good in the beginning of the year does not seem like the same player now.

Kyrie and his big mouth take a lot of heat of this team's failure but aside from Dinwiddie, Allen, and Claxton not much has gone right this season.

Nwaba and Shumpert gave us a boost but neither player is suiting up for us any time soon.

It's not a coincidence that when we lost both Nwaba and Shump the team's energy fell into the toilet.

But I think the lack of improvement from Levert, Kurucs and Prince has been a huge blow along with the injuries.

drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#16 » by drchaos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 6:22 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
drchaos wrote:Going into this season I think we were all expecting Levert, Prince, and Kurucs to improve while hoping that either Musa or Pinson could take a couple more steps in the right direction.

It's not a coincidence that when we lost both Nwaba and Shump the team's energy fell into the toilet.

But I think the lack of improvement from Levert, Kurucs and Prince has been a huge blow along with the injuries.

It is not just a lack of improvement but all three players seem to have greatly regressed from the flashes all three showed last year.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,467

Post#17 » by Stone » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:11 pm

.[/quote]

.[/quote]

The loss of Nwaba really hurt us. IMO he went from our biggest surprise of the season to the biggest disappointment. After watching the Lakers last night you could see how their role players fit so well together. If you took away some of those players it would not work as well.

So when I look at us as a team. I can't blame our struggles on Kenny or Kyrie or Joe or whatever....It's more like death from a thousand cuts. Nwaba was just one example.
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#18 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:22 pm

drchaos wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

It is not just a lack of improvement but all three players seem to have greatly regressed from the flashes all three showed last year.

Look at their advanced numbers

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/BRK/2020.html

Are these the guys we want in the line up when KD returns next season? Right now it's hard to trust all three of them. Look at LeVert's TS%.

All of them are at a PER of 10 and below. That's fringe level basketball. I don't know how the rest of this season will play out but we expected a lot more from these guys. Not all star level ball, but good rotational pieces and they aren't cutting it.

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#19 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:24 pm

Bro what are you not understanding ? Who cares if we make the playoffs, the point is WE ARE NOT GOING ANYWHERE. Yea it's such a joy to make the playoffs to get swept in the 1st round. You just wasted your time trying to convince us that we're making the playoffs but it doesn't even matter at this point. We suck !
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#20 » by Papi_swav » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:27 pm

Prokorov wrote:

If we go 4-3 in the next 7, we are not finishing 44-38 at all. That would mean we only lose 10 games the rest of the year and yea, that ain't happening. We have to go 6-1 at the very least.

Return to Brooklyn Nets