Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#21 » by ProspectPark » Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:38 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Well it would be nice to know why you feel that way instead of just driving by, really adding nothing.

Pelicans are gearing up for a playoff push around Zion. Holiday is arguable the best 2-way guard in the league.

New Orleans struggles to sign superstar free agents. Why would they trade Jrue Holiday for our role players?
This isn't for this season, it's suggested for summer (next season). Jrue Holiday will be an expiring contract next season (and a free agent in 2020-21), so they lose him regardless. Pelicans also aren't ready to make playoffs and I'll be highly surprised if they make 8th seed this year. Why do they want our role players? I don't see Levert's potential as a role player, whether he ever gets to his potential is a different question. Allen already is a role player with potential for more. The important thing to note here is that Levert is locked in for the next 3 years, and Allen is still on his rookie deal. That is actually huge for small market teams who have trouble attracting talent in free agency. Jrue isn't even technically an all star, let alone superstar, and a player with less than 2 years left on his contract.

LeVert has to show he can stay healthy before he becomes a valuable trade asset.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:45 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
I disagree with this. We've even quietly entered the era of unconventional PGs too (Simmons, Lebron, Doncic, Harden) on playoffs teams. Many of the top teams in the league are huge (Lakers, Bucks, Sixers, etc.). So this notion that the league is smaller than ever is false. If anything we're trending towards size/length with high level skillsets at every position. The Warriors are broken up so contenders don't have to worry about their death lineup anymore. [/quote]

I dont know... i mean some teams are big at PF, but overall thats not the case... and if the worry is Durant will get "worn down" defending bigger guys and "banging" then the league as a whole is more important than a handful of teams.

I would disagree the Bucks are big as well. Giannis is tall, but he isnt some bruiser that would wear down durant inside. The sixers have horford now, but he spends alot of time at center and on the perimeter. but id a agree he does post up and battle on the glass. lets take a look around the league though:

Hawks - Deandre hunter who is more of a wing and not a banger
Boston - Tatum or Hayward, both more of wings and smallish
Charlotte - Washington and Williams. williams is a perimeter guy who shoots from range and washington is 6'7" 228
Bulls - Markanen. i guess you can call him big but he doesnt play a ton inside, more of a stretch
Cleveland - Love. he is a legit big guy who throws his weight around
Dallas - KP. huge, plays inside
Denver - millsap. wing/PF hybrid, smaller and plays outside alot
Detroit - Doumboya, more of a wing

im getting tired but here is the rest:

Green, pj tucker, SABONIS, Kawhi, DAVIS, Crowder, Butler, Giannis, Covington, Gallinari, ZION, RANDLE, Birch, HORFORD, oubre, Carmello, lyrles, BAGLEY, siakim, bogdanovic, Bertans

caps is big bruisers.

thats not exacly making me worry durant will get worn down playing post D or battling for rebounds.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#23 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 26, 2020 1:31 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:imagine if we gave levert the 120 million you suggested :lol:

Touche', and I'm glad we locked him down for less. You admit that most pundits called it one of the biggest bargains of the summer, so I'm not the only one with egg on my face at this point.

I think Caris still has legit potential, but he's not improving where he can achieve it. He's dangerously close to Evan Turner territory, where his immense playmaking gifts are overshadowed by:

-- poor FT rate and %
-- middling 3PT rate and %
-- enormous TO rate, flat AST:TO ratio
-- porous individual and team defense

There's a reason they called him "Evan Turnover". I can already hear the "Careless LeVert" chants if he doesn't correct course. He's GOT to give us something in at least 2 of these categories, for him to advance to the next level and become playable for long stretches with our starters.

I dont see him every being a good defender or good three point shooter... which is ok... IF

he can finish at the rim. he does a pretty good job getting 3 feet and in and attempts at the rim...but he is really poor finishing, especially through contact. for his size and with above avg athleticism there is really no reason he should be at least avg in that area. it is what seperates him from spencer... spencer can finish
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,248

Post#24 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:09 am

Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Haven't watched as many games as I would have liked this year, but Allen is the absolute least of out concerns imho and is a main building block of a championship contending team, at least amd especially as the 3rd or 4th best starter next to KD, Kyrie and a possible 3rd stud depending on how trades shake out.

I like some of the specific players you have targeted, but not for the players and assets you have outbound in each separate deal.

If Allen is outgoing, a straight up young stud who forms a big 3 needs to be Brooklyn bound, like a Beal this off-season, or CJ McCollum, Jamaal Murray or KAT now. Even with McCollum I pause with his inclusion.

Yeah it doesnt make sense to trade Allen. He fits to well with the core as a guy who can make an impact iwthout needing the ball. He is also a great screener, which shouldnt be overlooked for a team that runs so much action off of them.

I'd love to make a run at mccollum with something like: Levert, Prince, Rodi, Claxton, 1st. If CJ can work wit Lillard he can with Kyrie.

Kyrie | CJ | Harris | Durant | Allen
Spencer | Musa | Temple| Jordan

great core. add shumpert to that team and another ring chasing F/C hybrid.

Klay Thompson is another guy id target if GSW looks to break it up.

No we don't need another undersized guard chucking the ball, we already have Din. CJ is basically the same player as Kyrie but not as great, this is exactly why Portland isn't going anywhere. I mean I know we add KD in this equation which proves even more why we don't need another chucker. We need a defender next to these guys. This is why Draymond Green was so valuable. We need a guy that takes the lead defensively and we need that in a wing player. Klay would be awesome but I dont see that happening.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#25 » by vincecarter4pres » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:23 am

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Haven't watched as many games as I would have liked this year, but Allen is the absolute least of out concerns imho and is a main building block of a championship contending team, at least amd especially as the 3rd or 4th best starter next to KD, Kyrie and a possible 3rd stud depending on how trades shake out.

I like some of the specific players you have targeted, but not for the players and assets you have outbound in each separate deal.

If Allen is outgoing, a straight up young stud who forms a big 3 needs to be Brooklyn bound, like a Beal this off-season, or CJ McCollum, Jamaal Murray or KAT now. Even with McCollum I pause with his inclusion.

Yeah it doesnt make sense to trade Allen. He fits to well with the core as a guy who can make an impact iwthout needing the ball. He is also a great screener, which shouldnt be overlooked for a team that runs so much action off of them.

I'd love to make a run at mccollum with something like: Levert, Prince, Rodi, Claxton, 1st. If CJ can work wit Lillard he can with Kyrie.

No we don't need another undersized guard chucking the ball, we already have Din. CJ is basically the same player as Kyrie but not as great, this is exactly why Portland isn't going anywhere. I mean I know we add KD in this equation which proves even more why we don't need another chucker. We need a defender next to these guys. This is why Draymond Green was so valuable. We need a guy that takes the lead defensively and we need that in a wing player. Klay would be awesome but I dont see that happening.

Calling McCollum a chucker is an absolute disservice to his shooting ability. This guy is a legit 40% shooter from distance for his career, on a high amount of attempts with a ton of attention from opposing defenses.

That said I still wouldn't give up Allen in a CJ deal. But he's a significant amount better then Dinwiddie, even though I understand what you're saying in that his style is similar to Kyrie, yet he's not nearly as good a player.

But if you can get McCollum for something along the lines of Caris/Dinwiddie/1st/Musa and/or Rodi, you do it.

I'd love to see us land someone like Covington for a reasonable asset cost though instead of going star crazy.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#26 » by DarkXaero » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:33 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Calling McCollum a chucker is an absolute disservice to his shooting ability. This guy is a legit 40% shooter from distance for his career, on a high amount of attempts with a ton of attention from opposing defenses.

That said I still wouldn't give up Allen in a CJ deal. But he's a significant amount better then Dinwiddie, even though I understand what you're saying in that his style is similar to Kyrie, yet he's not nearly as good a player.

But if you can get McCollum for something along the lines of Caris/Dinwiddie/1st/Musa and/or Rodi, you do it.

I'd love to see us land someone like Covington for a reasonable asset cost though instead of going star crazy.
I don't think CJ is a significant amount better than Dinwiddie, they're similar caliber players. Yes, CJ is a much better shooter, and that is a big plus, but Dinwiddie is better driving and gets to the line a lot more, which can actually give him an edge in efficiency. I would also take Dinwiddie's playmaking abilities over CJ's. The package you're suggesting there for CJ is absurd. I like CJ a lot (drafted him on my fantasy team this year too :lol: ) but he ain't what you think he is.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#27 » by Papi_swav » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:38 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

WHAT? HELL NO !!!! All that for CJ?! thats a package you give up for a legit star player. CJ is not that much better than Din.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#28 » by GTR11 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:44 am

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:No we don't need another undersized guard chucking the ball, we already have Din. CJ is basically the same player as Kyrie but not as great, this is exactly why Portland isn't going anywhere. I mean I know we add KD in this equation which proves even more why we don't need another chucker. We need a defender next to these guys. This is why Draymond Green was so valuable. We need a guy that takes the lead defensively and we need that in a wing player. Klay would be awesome but I dont see that happening.

WHAT? HELL NO !!!! All that for CJ?! thats a package you give up for a legit star player. CJ is not that much better than Din.

I was punching air reading these trade proposals :lol: .
Before anyone will start telling me bring up one, I offered few. 1- Allen, Harris and first for KAT. Caris, Harris and first for Beal. No way you give up Din with brittle Kyrie as your 35+ mil starter. Also let's not forget that AD might bounce. Caris, Prince or Harris and Allen with few first rounders will give LA trade assets and competitive product. Much better than losing him for nothing. Yeah I said it because this is not your Dr Buss led Lakers with Logo out there.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#29 » by GTR11 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:51 am

]Prokorov
I disagree with this. We've even quietly entered the era of unconventional PGs too (Simmons, Lebron, Doncic, Harden) on playoffs teams. Many of the top teams in the league are huge (Lakers, Bucks, Sixers, etc.). So this notion that the league is smaller than ever is false. If anything we're trending towards size/length with high level skillsets at every position. The Warriors are broken up so contenders don't have to worry about their death lineup anymore.
I dont know... i mean some teams are big at PF, but overall thats not the case... and if the worry is Durant will get "worn down" defending bigger guys and "banging" then the league as a whole is more important than a handful of teams.

I would disagree the Bucks are big as well. Giannis is tall, but he isnt some bruiser that would wear down durant inside. The sixers have horford now, but he spends alot of time at center and on the perimeter. but id a agree he does post up and battle on the glass. lets take a look around the league though:

Hawks - Deandre hunter who is more of a wing and not a banger
Boston - Tatum or Hayward, both more of wings and smallish
Charlotte - Washington and Williams. williams is a perimeter guy who shoots from range and washington is 6'7" 228
Bulls - Markanen. i guess you can call him big but he doesnt play a ton inside, more of a stretch
Cleveland - Love. he is a legit big guy who throws his weight around
Dallas - KP. huge, plays inside
Denver - millsap. wing/PF hybrid, smaller and plays outside alot
Detroit - Doumboya, more of a wing

im getting tired but here is the rest:

Green, pj tucker, SABONIS, Kawhi, DAVIS, Crowder, Butler, Giannis, Covington, Gallinari, ZION, RANDLE, Birch, HORFORD, oubre, Carmello, lyrles, BAGLEY, siakim, bogdanovic, Bertans

caps is big bruisers.

thats not exacly making me worry durant will get worn down playing post D or battling for rebounds.

I really tend to believe you trolling because of post like this. I mean c'mon man.
1- you brought up lottery teams. 6's, Bucks ( top two EC teams ) have big line ups and constantly kill us on boards and physically. They bully us and if you haven't seen it past week I'm not sure what you've seen. There is also Indy ( probably third best team ) and Raps that also play big and also killing us in the painted area. That's not an opinion that's a fact. Our counter weapons ( 3pt shooting and drive to the basket ) haven't been successful due to Allen being none offensive threat ( there are video evidence by few bball breakdown guys on YouTube ) and teams take full advantage of that.
2- this system require versatile big who can either shoot or being able to create offense. Neither Allen, DJ, Prince, Rodi or Chandler can do that. We sub 500 for a reason.
I mean you can pick on a lot that you've said past few days. I really have hard time comprehending and seeing stuff you talking about. No offense but most here disheartened because of lack of execution and effort for different reasons and therefore opinions vary.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#30 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:59 pm

GTR11 wrote:
I really tend to believe you trolling because of post like this. I mean c'mon man.
1- you brought up lottery teams. 6's, Bucks ( top two EC teams ) have big line ups and constantly kill us on boards and physically. They bully us and if you haven't seen it past week I'm not sure what you've seen. There is also Indy ( probably third best team ) and Raps that also play big and also killing us in the painted area. That's not an opinion that's a fact. Our counter weapons ( 3pt shooting and drive to the basket ) haven't been successful due to Allen being none offensive threat ( there are video evidence by few bball breakdown guys on YouTube ) and teams take full advantage of that.

i brought up all 29 teams... because the implication was that durant would get "worn down" by having to "bang with big players" all season. so of course i brought up lotto teams and all tea,s to prove that no, he wont have to deal with bruisers every night.

And who exactly is going to bully durant" he is 6'11" 240 pounds and has great wingspan. show my where guys have bullied him the last few years?

2- this system require versatile big who can either shoot or being able to create offense. Neither Allen, DJ, Prince, Rodi or Chandler can do that.

no it doesnt. it doesnt even require a PF. it requires a big who can screen and finish off the pick and roll., we have 2 good ones in DJ and allen

We sub 500 for a reason.

Yes because our 3 best players have missed 90% of the season. we are doing GREAT considering that. The warriors are missing their 2 best guys, look how they are doing

I mean you can pick on a lot that you've said past few days. I really have hard time comprehending and seeing stuff you talking about. No offense but most here disheartened because of lack of execution and effort for different reasons and therefore opinions vary.

if you cant follow basketball discussions due to a lack of knowledge thats ok, you cans till root for and follow the team
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#31 » by Prokorov » Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:00 pm

I love Dinwiddie, but McCollum is better and better off ball. i woudlnt add a ton to dinwiddie but if i can turn him into CJ id do it for sure
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#32 » by Claud » Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:32 pm

Feels too early to start making decisions for next season already.

We all knew this was a gap year and should be treated as such without overreaction.

We won't know what we need until KD is in uniform and we can see the areas where we are lacking.. until then it's pointless.

I hope we can salvage this season and Kyrie can stay healthy.

Guys like Dinwiddie, Harris, Levert, Prince, Fro, etc all need to continue to improve that way we'll have a clearer picture next year.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#33 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:47 am

GTR11 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Calling McCollum a chucker is an absolute disservice to his shooting ability. This guy is a legit 40% shooter from distance for his career, on a high amount of attempts with a ton of attention from opposing defenses.

Before anyone will start telling me bring up one, I offered few. 1- Allen, Harris and first for KAT. Caris, Harris and first for Beal. No way you give up Din with brittle Kyrie as your 35+ mil starter. Also let's not forget that AD might bounce. Caris, Prince or Harris and Allen with few first rounders will give LA trade assets and competitive product. Much better than losing him for nothing. Yeah I said it because this is not your Dr Buss led Lakers with Logo out there.

Lol, none of those offers are close to realistic. You could take your offers and just add Dinwiddie to them and they probably still aren't there. Dinwiddie/Caris/1st/meh B-rate Euro prospect, just isn't a lot to give up for a guy like McCollum. Is he world's better than Dinwiddie? Nah. But he is a healthy amount better, fits this team better and truthfully is on a tier above Dinwiddie overall. He's 28 and locked into a long contract.
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM

Post#34 » by vincecarter4pres » Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:55 am

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:No we don't need another undersized guard chucking the ball, we already have Din. CJ is basically the same player as Kyrie but not as great, this is exactly why Portland isn't going anywhere. I mean I know we add KD in this equation which proves even more why we don't need another chucker. We need a defender next to these guys. This is why Draymond Green was so valuable. We need a guy that takes the lead defensively and we need that in a wing player. Klay would be awesome but I dont see that happening.

I don't think CJ is a significant amount better than Dinwiddie, they're similar caliber players. Yes, CJ is a much better shooter, and that is a big plus, but Dinwiddie is better driving and gets to the line a lot more, which can actually give him an edge in efficiency. I would also take Dinwiddie's playmaking abilities over CJ's. The package you're suggesting there for CJ is absurd. I like CJ a lot (drafted him on my fantasy team this year too :lol: ) but he ain't what you think he is.

I still wouldn't call them similar caliber players. To me CJ is a tier above him and a guy you can more reliably rely on for long stretches to carry a team and fits in much better on this roster when it's fully healthy. I don't see anything about this package which is absurd. I love LeVert, he's a fan favorite and one of my favorite players personally, but the facts are he isn't all that good. He has some great stretches that wow you, but he's more Larry Hughes or Derek Anderson then many like to admit. A late 1st. A B-rate Euro. It's basically Dinwiddie and a bunch of nice on paper fluff for a consistent top 35-40 player in his prime locked in for 4 more seasons including this one.
Papi_swav
General Manager

Post#35 » by Papi_swav » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 am

vincecarter4pres wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:WHAT? HELL NO !!!! All that for CJ?! thats a package you give up for a legit star player. CJ is not that much better than Din.

Lol, none of those offers are close to realistic. You could take your offers and just add Dinwiddie to them and they probably still aren't there. Dinwiddie/Caris/1st/meh B-rate Euro prospect, just isn't a lot to give up for a guy like McCollum. Is he world's better than Dinwiddie? Nah. But he is a healthy amount better, fits this team better and truthfully is on a tier above Dinwiddie overall. He's 28 and locked into a long contract.

Bro, you're buggin ! Din/Levert/1st is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much for CJ. Maybe Din and something else but putting Levert and a 1st is overkill.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#36 » by Prokorov » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:38 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
GTR11 wrote:I was punching air reading these trade proposals :lol: .

Bro, you're buggin ! Din/Levert/1st is WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too much for CJ. Maybe Din and something else but putting Levert and a 1st is overkill.

Levert has 0 trade value. his contract isnt awful but he will be 26 next year, is always injured, is a poor shooter, poor finisher, and poor defender.

being a high iq versatile guy only goes so far.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#37 » by DarkXaero » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:41 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Calling McCollum a chucker is an absolute disservice to his shooting ability. This guy is a legit 40% shooter from distance for his career, on a high amount of attempts with a ton of attention from opposing defenses.

I still wouldn't call them similar caliber players. To me CJ is a tier above him and a guy you can more reliably rely on for long stretches to carry a team and fits in much better on this roster when it's fully healthy. I don't see anything about this package which is absurd. I love LeVert, he's a fan favorite and one of my favorite players personally, but the facts are he isn't all that good. He has some great stretches that wow you, but he's more Larry Hughes or Derek Anderson then many like to admit. A late 1st. A B-rate Euro. It's basically Dinwiddie and a bunch of nice on paper fluff for a consistent top 35-40 player in his prime locked in for 4 more seasons including this one.
CJ is very good but he has never been a very efficient scorer, and that's despite playing next to a superstar in Dame, and what has generally been a very strong supporting cast in Portland. I agree that CJ is the better fit due to his shooting ability. But you have to look at the other factors here. Dinwiddie is 2 years younger, makes $15 mill less per year on average than CJ (!), and metrics rank Dinwiddie as the better defender.

Dinwiddie averages this season: 21.2 PPG, 6.5 APG in 31.2 MPG, on 53.5% TS%
CJ averages this season: 21.6 PPG, 3.8 APG in 35.6 MPG, on 54.3 TS%

If Dinwiddie is the better defender, two years younger, and makes $15 mill less per year, there is a legitimate argument for keeping Dinwiddie over CJ, which makes the potential trade package of Dinwiddie/Caris/1st/Musa etc. look absurd. I'd rather look for a guy who isn't just a scorer, and can add positive value defense to this team, and CJ isn't that dude or the difference maker that you think he is.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#38 » by Prokorov » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
GTR11 wrote:I was punching air reading these trade proposals :lol: .

it isnt overkill. the Pick is mid to late 20's and Levert doesnt have much value as a player over 25, often hurt who doesnt shoot or defend well. he is no longer young or healthy enough for teams to trade for potential.

That may even be light for CJ. I love spencer, but you guys are drastically underrating CJ

21/4/4 on 56 TS% and career 40% from three while being a plus defender who can play on and off the ball
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,853

Post#39 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:31 pm

I'm not really comfortable trading Spencer considering the fact that Kyrie's availability is always an uncertainty. I'd rather trade LeVert

McCollum would be an immediate impact player in this system.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#40 » by ProspectPark » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:51 pm

CJ has 4 years left on his contract after this season and is owed more than $120 million.

The last you want is to give that kind of money to a player who provides zero defensive versatility and can’t even guard his own position especially when you already have Kyrie.

When Giannis, Simmons, or Siakam is going downhill in transition is CJ McCollum going to provide any resistance?

Return to Brooklyn Nets