ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 7,709
And1: 5,636
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2001 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:42 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:The East is ours for the taking next year.
Miami while good, is a not a serious threat I don't see how they match up with Kyrie or KD. They are also are going to save cap space for GA.
The Bucks will be in awkward position next season with GA a FA next off-season and Bud a failure in the POs
Toronto will be going all in on GA but they have a ton of FAs (Lowry, GVV, Gasol, Ibaka)
I think our biggest threat will be Boston TBH. Brown and Tatum will continue to grow and they should be able to make the tweaks needed to be a perennial threat in the East.

It's the West that scares me.
LAL - LBJ and AD
LAC - KL and assume PG with a new coach
DEN - Jokic and Murray are tough match-ups
DAL - healthy KP and Doncic will be a tough duo for years to come.
GSW - Is going to be a force next year with everyone back and their picks to play with
Utah - is such a good team, but the West is so good there is a slight chance they don't even make the PO if they have an injury or two


The East is really looking wide open last year.

-Toronto is basically done
-Philly is a joke
-Miami had a good run but they don't make the Finals without the bubble

Boston is good but Brown/Tatum are just not as good as KD/Kyrie.

The biggest threat to me is still Milwaukee. We have to hope Giannis continues to underperform in the playoffs. If he figures it out he will be a tough matchup.
A whole lot of assumptions there. Our team has just as many question marks if not more. Can KD come back and play at superstar level, returning from the worst injury in sports? Can Kyrie actually stay healthy for most of reg season and playoffs? Can Nash handle high pressure as a rookie head coach? If we don't make any major trades, how are Levert and Dinwiddie going to fit in? How can we be a good defensive team without good perimeter defenders? What will our locker room chemistry be like if we go through a rough stretch?

"Toronto is basically done", and "Philly is a joke", and a good amount of NBA fans out there think that we're a trainwreck waiting to happen. It goes both ways.


What are you talking about?

How is it an assumption that Philly is a joke?

They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.

And Toronto has no true All Star and will be losing Gasol, possibly Van Vleet this off season. How will they get any better?

Why should I assume we will be a train wreck when we have two top 10 players and good pieces around them?

I have faith in Marks in building the team around them. He will add the right pieces. Nash will be fine. KD and Kyrie know how to win.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
DarkXaero
RealGM
Posts: 10,328
And1: 2,932
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
   

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2002 » by DarkXaero » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:56 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
The East is really looking wide open last year.

-Toronto is basically done
-Philly is a joke
-Miami had a good run but they don't make the Finals without the bubble

Boston is good but Brown/Tatum are just not as good as KD/Kyrie.

The biggest threat to me is still Milwaukee. We have to hope Giannis continues to underperform in the playoffs. If he figures it out he will be a tough matchup.
A whole lot of assumptions there. Our team has just as many question marks if not more. Can KD come back and play at superstar level, returning from the worst injury in sports? Can Kyrie actually stay healthy for most of reg season and playoffs? Can Nash handle high pressure as a rookie head coach? If we don't make any major trades, how are Levert and Dinwiddie going to fit in? How can we be a good defensive team without good perimeter defenders? What will our locker room chemistry be like if we go through a rough stretch?

"Toronto is basically done", and "Philly is a joke", and a good amount of NBA fans out there think that we're a trainwreck waiting to happen. It goes both ways.


What are you talking about?

How is it an assumption that Philly is a joke?

They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.

And Toronto has no true All Star and will be losing Gasol, possibly Van Vleet this off season. How will they get any better?

Why should I assume we will be a train wreck when we have two top 10 players and good pieces around them?

I have faith in Marks in building the team around them. He will add the right pieces. Nash will be fine. KD and Kyrie know how to win.
Listen to yourself and look at the stuff you write.

"How is it an assumption that Philly is a joke?" :lol:

They fired their coach, and replaced him with a better one. Yes, Doc Rivers is a very overrated coach, but he's still an upgrade on Brett Brown. They also have maneuverability to make roster moves and be active on the trade market. You're assuming that coaching won't make a difference, and you're assuming that they can't make roster moves. You're also conveniently leaving out the part where Ben Simmons didn't play a single minute in the playoffs this year.

"And Toronto has no true All Star and will be losing Gasol, possibly Van Vleet this off season. How will they get any better?"

Again, assuming that they have no "true All Star" (whatever that means), and that VanVleet can leave this offseason. Maybe he will leave, maybe he won't, we don't know yet, but Toronto are still favorites to retain him. You must also realize that they have arguably the best GM in the league who also excels at finding talent from the bottom of the barrel. Why are you taking it for granted that they're getting worse?

"Why should I assume we will be a train wreck when we have two top 10 players and good pieces around them?"

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about what's literally being said on NBA discussion forums/reddit right now as an example. They're assuming that we'll implode, and you're assuming that those teams won't give us competition. And you still haven't addressed the fact that Kyrie is very injury prone, and KD is coming back from the worst injury in pro sports. I'm optimistic like the majority of Nets fans, but the truth is that we don't know what will happen in regards to their health and playing level, so its pointless to start making these assumptions now.
kamaze
Head Coach
Posts: 7,442
And1: 1,146
Joined: Jul 10, 2005

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2003 » by kamaze » Fri Oct 2, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Trader_Joe wrote:The East is ours for the taking next year.
Miami while good, is a not a serious threat I don't see how they match up with Kyrie or KD. They are also are going to save cap space for GA.
The Bucks will be in awkward position next season with GA a FA next off-season and Bud a failure in the POs
Toronto will be going all in on GA but they have a ton of FAs (Lowry, GVV, Gasol, Ibaka)
I think our biggest threat will be Boston TBH. Brown and Tatum will continue to grow and they should be able to make the tweaks needed to be a perennial threat in the East.

It's the West that scares me.
LAL - LBJ and AD
LAC - KL and assume PG with a new coach
DEN - Jokic and Murray are tough match-ups
DAL - healthy KP and Doncic will be a tough duo for years to come.
GSW - Is going to be a force next year with everyone back and their picks to play with
Utah - is such a good team, but the West is so good there is a slight chance they don't even make the PO if they have an injury or two


The East is really looking wide open last year.

-Toronto is basically done
-Philly is a joke
-Miami had a good run but they don't make the Finals without the bubble

Boston is good but Brown/Tatum are just not as good as KD/Kyrie.

The biggest threat to me is still Milwaukee. We have to hope Giannis continues to underperform in the playoffs. If he figures it out he will be a tough matchup.


In the bubble we beat Milwaukee. Despite a good regular season record of the 4 teams you mentioned they're the easiest to beat.
I got the burner.-Kevin Durant
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 7,709
And1: 5,636
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2004 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Oct 2, 2020 8:29 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:A whole lot of assumptions there. Our team has just as many question marks if not more. Can KD come back and play at superstar level, returning from the worst injury in sports? Can Kyrie actually stay healthy for most of reg season and playoffs? Can Nash handle high pressure as a rookie head coach? If we don't make any major trades, how are Levert and Dinwiddie going to fit in? How can we be a good defensive team without good perimeter defenders? What will our locker room chemistry be like if we go through a rough stretch?

"Toronto is basically done", and "Philly is a joke", and a good amount of NBA fans out there think that we're a trainwreck waiting to happen. It goes both ways.


What are you talking about?

How is it an assumption that Philly is a joke?

They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.

And Toronto has no true All Star and will be losing Gasol, possibly Van Vleet this off season. How will they get any better?

Why should I assume we will be a train wreck when we have two top 10 players and good pieces around them?

I have faith in Marks in building the team around them. He will add the right pieces. Nash will be fine. KD and Kyrie know how to win.
Listen to yourself and look at the stuff you write.

"How is it an assumption that Philly is a joke?" :lol:

They fired their coach, and replaced him with a better one. Yes, Doc Rivers is a very overrated coach, but he's still an upgrade on Brett Brown. They also have maneuverability to make roster moves and be active on the trade market. You're assuming that coaching won't make a difference, and you're assuming that they can't make roster moves. You're also conveniently leaving out the part where Ben Simmons didn't play a single minute in the playoffs this year.

"And Toronto has no true All Star and will be losing Gasol, possibly Van Vleet this off season. How will they get any better?"

Again, assuming that they have no "true All Star" (whatever that means), and that VanVleet can leave this offseason. Maybe he will leave, maybe he won't, we don't know yet, but Toronto are still favorites to retain him. You must also realize that they have arguably the best GM in the league who also excels at finding talent from the bottom of the barrel. Why are you taking it for granted that they're getting worse?

"Why should I assume we will be a train wreck when we have two top 10 players and good pieces around them?"

I'm not talking about you, I'm talking about what's literally being said on NBA discussion forums/reddit right now as an example. They're assuming that we'll implode, and you're assuming that those teams won't give us competition. And you still haven't addressed the fact that Kyrie is very injury prone, and KD is coming back from the worst injury in pro sports. I'm optimistic like the majority of Nets fans, but the truth is that we don't know what will happen in regards to their health and playing level, so its pointless to start making these assumptions now.


I don't care who the coach is.

Their two best players don't fit together. And their big FA signing Al Horford can't play with Embiid. Their problems are unfixable.

They were a 6 seed with Ben Simmons! What evidence do I have that they are a serious contender?

Toronto is not a serious threat to win the East unless they make a major move. They don't have any high level players who can elevate their play to an elite level in the playoffs. Thats just a fact. And most would agree.

Who cares whats being said? I'm giving my opinion and you're saying its "full of assumptions." Everything I've said is completely reasonable and most Nets fans would agree.

Jalen Rose literally already went on TV and said it will be Nets v Lakers in the Finals next year. We will be the favorites in the East as long as we stay healthy.

Kyrie/KD staying healthy is just an assumption we have to make. You never know whos gonna get hurt. You could say the same thing about any team. Obviously if we face major injuries then were not winning anything.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
stormi
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,613
And1: 1,163
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: howdy
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2005 » by stormi » Fri Oct 2, 2020 9:15 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.


No statistical evidence supports this narrative. This is Steven A Smith tier analysis. Unless you're basing it off of the fact that they regressed heavily the moment Simmons got injured to prove that Embiid played better without him...
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 7,709
And1: 5,636
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2006 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:01 am

stormi wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.


No statistical evidence supports this narrative. This is Steven A Smith tier analysis. Unless you're basing it off of the fact that they regressed heavily the moment Simmons got injured to prove that Embiid played better without him...


They were literally a #6 seed in the weak East, got swept and have no cap space and are saddled with two of the worst contracts in the league.

How is there "no evidence" that the Sixers aren't a serious contender. Its obvious to everyone.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
stormi
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,613
And1: 1,163
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: howdy
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2007 » by stormi » Sat Oct 3, 2020 2:45 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
stormi wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:They flamed out of the playoffs this year and their two best players don't fit together. Its not exactly a "hot take" to say they won't be a serious contender next year.


No statistical evidence supports this narrative. This is Steven A Smith tier analysis. Unless you're basing it off of the fact that they regressed heavily the moment Simmons got injured to prove that Embiid played better without him...


They were literally a #6 seed in the weak East, got swept and have no cap space and are saddled with two of the worst contracts in the league.

How is there "no evidence" that the Sixers aren't a serious contender. Its obvious to everyone.


No evidence of Ben and Embiid "not fitting" which is the most casual Sixers meme in sports and to prove your point you pointed to cap space and Horford and Tobias being obscene wastes of money. They've had elite co net ratings since they've stepped on the floor together in 2018 and won 50+ games and a playoff round immediately, no baby steps. The incompetence in management, horrific asset management and drafting has nothing to do with them.
Papi_swav
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,782
And1: 2,312
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2008 » by Papi_swav » Sat Oct 3, 2020 3:05 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:^
Fair, very fair. However in a tertiary role, I feel that his antics would mean less. He's clearly not a leader, which is fine because we have defined leaders already.

Just so long as he doesn't go sleeping with his teammate's fiancee again, we'll be good.

Or dating Steve Nash or JV’s relatives...

Fun Fact: PG dated Doc Rivers daughter...then cheated on her with a stripper that he disowned, then married because she was pregnant all before being traded to the Thunder.

So, technically he smashed Doc’s daughter, broke her heart and got him fired.


Paul George **** ed Roy Hibbert's wife when he was on the Pacers. He is not a good teammate, and it was clear that he and Leonard had zero chemistry between them.

Yup I remember that, dude is a home wrecker. Hibbert was never the same after that, i think he must of been going through depression because after that he was terrible. We all remember how good Hibbert was, he was at least close to top 5 center in the NBA and then out of nowhere he became trash and looked like he didn't even care about ball anymore. So sad.

I'm good on PG. I wouldn't be opposed to it if we get him for a steal since his stock is kind of low now but I'm not trading Levert, Din, etc.. and 2 FRPs for him.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2009 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:19 am

stormi wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
stormi wrote:
No statistical evidence supports this narrative. This is Steven A Smith tier analysis. Unless you're basing it off of the fact that they regressed heavily the moment Simmons got injured to prove that Embiid played better without him...


They were literally a #6 seed in the weak East, got swept and have no cap space and are saddled with two of the worst contracts in the league.

How is there "no evidence" that the Sixers aren't a serious contender. Its obvious to everyone.


No evidence of Ben and Embiid "not fitting" which is the most casual Sixers meme in sports and to prove your point you pointed to cap space and Horford and Tobias being obscene wastes of money. They've had elite co net ratings since they've stepped on the floor together in 2018 and won 50+ games and a playoff round immediately, no baby steps. The incompetence in management, horrific asset management and drafting has nothing to do with them.


Outside of Ben being scared to shoot, I agree with you. They aren't the issue. Elton Brand and whoever is enabling him however, has put your team into a tough spot.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
stormi
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,613
And1: 1,163
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: howdy
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2010 » by stormi » Mon Oct 5, 2020 12:57 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
stormi wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
They were literally a #6 seed in the weak East, got swept and have no cap space and are saddled with two of the worst contracts in the league.

How is there "no evidence" that the Sixers aren't a serious contender. Its obvious to everyone.


No evidence of Ben and Embiid "not fitting" which is the most casual Sixers meme in sports and to prove your point you pointed to cap space and Horford and Tobias being obscene wastes of money. They've had elite co net ratings since they've stepped on the floor together in 2018 and won 50+ games and a playoff round immediately, no baby steps. The incompetence in management, horrific asset management and drafting has nothing to do with them.


Outside of Ben being scared to shoot, I agree with you. They aren't the issue. Elton Brand and whoever is enabling him however, has put your team into a tough spot.


Yea I didn't try to hijack this thread anyways. I've done enough grieving about Elton and this entire organization

I came in here to see what ideas y'all had for the team surrounding KD and Kyrie. Y'all want hard working roleplayers like the lakers have? I've seen some PG stuff too lol
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2011 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Oct 5, 2020 1:57 am

stormi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
stormi wrote:
No evidence of Ben and Embiid "not fitting" which is the most casual Sixers meme in sports and to prove your point you pointed to cap space and Horford and Tobias being obscene wastes of money. They've had elite co net ratings since they've stepped on the floor together in 2018 and won 50+ games and a playoff round immediately, no baby steps. The incompetence in management, horrific asset management and drafting has nothing to do with them.


Outside of Ben being scared to shoot, I agree with you. They aren't the issue. Elton Brand and whoever is enabling him however, has put your team into a tough spot.


Yea I didn't try to hijack this thread anyways. I've done enough grieving about Elton and this entire organization

I came in here to see what ideas y'all had for the team surrounding KD and Kyrie. Y'all want hard working roleplayers like the lakers have? I've seen some PG stuff too lol


depends on who you ask. Me personally, I want to come back with the full roster we have plus an MLE defensive wing and the #19 pick. I think we have one of the league's better benches if healthy and Irving/LeVert/Harris/KD/Allen are a pretty good five.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
stormi
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,613
And1: 1,163
Joined: Jun 04, 2019
Location: howdy
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2012 » by stormi » Mon Oct 5, 2020 2:07 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
stormi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Outside of Ben being scared to shoot, I agree with you. They aren't the issue. Elton Brand and whoever is enabling him however, has put your team into a tough spot.


Yea I didn't try to hijack this thread anyways. I've done enough grieving about Elton and this entire organization

I came in here to see what ideas y'all had for the team surrounding KD and Kyrie. Y'all want hard working roleplayers like the lakers have? I've seen some PG stuff too lol


depends on who you ask. Me personally, I want to come back with the full roster we have plus an MLE defensive wing and the #19 pick. I think we have one of the league's better benches if healthy and Irving/LeVert/Harris/KD/Allen are a pretty good five.


How you feel about that starting 5 defensively
DarkXaero
RealGM
Posts: 10,328
And1: 2,932
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
   

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2013 » by DarkXaero » Mon Oct 5, 2020 4:35 pm

stormi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
stormi wrote:
No evidence of Ben and Embiid "not fitting" which is the most casual Sixers meme in sports and to prove your point you pointed to cap space and Horford and Tobias being obscene wastes of money. They've had elite co net ratings since they've stepped on the floor together in 2018 and won 50+ games and a playoff round immediately, no baby steps. The incompetence in management, horrific asset management and drafting has nothing to do with them.


Outside of Ben being scared to shoot, I agree with you. They aren't the issue. Elton Brand and whoever is enabling him however, has put your team into a tough spot.


Yea I didn't try to hijack this thread anyways. I've done enough grieving about Elton and this entire organization

I came in here to see what ideas y'all had for the team surrounding KD and Kyrie. Y'all want hard working roleplayers like the lakers have? I've seen some PG stuff too lol
I'm not a fan at all of bringing the same exact roster back. We need to make moves or we'll find out the hard way that we need to make moves.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,530
And1: 1,515
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2014 » by MGrand15 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 5:30 pm

I'm getting more convinced that IF KD 100% buys in on defense, we can get by defensively if we add like 2 Harkless level players. Guys that can hang with Tatum, Jimmy, Simmons, LBJ, Giannis. If you throw Harkless (or a similar Crowder type player) on those stars - with KD + Jarrett Allen protecting the rim, that's A LOT of length and BBIQ that guys need to get through to score. KD is a guy that has really caused havoc defensively in the past at the rim + the perimeter.

It's nice to have elite defenders at guard but I don't think it's that important compared to physical forwards + rim protection. Miami is getting it done with Dragic, Herro, Robinson playing major minutes. Those guys just play hard and the entire team executes the game plan to cover for them. Kyrie, Harris, LeVert, Dinwiddie are competitive enough to be on that level.

The problem comes if KD isn't at 90% of where he was defensively. Or if Kyrie + KD + DJ don't buy in on defense. If they don't, then yes - we need to overhaul the squad and surround them with some really good defenders. Kyrie last year was competitive and physical but I don't think he bought in to the system defensively at all. DJ's effort level was really up and down but when it was up, he's damn good defensively.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
Posts: 14,693
And1: 580
Joined: Jun 19, 2007
       

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2015 » by ecuhus1981 » Mon Oct 5, 2020 6:41 pm

We're building on a shaky defensive foundation.

It would be irresponsible for Sean and Steve to expect Kevin to be our defensive ace, coming back from serious injury. Even the most optimistic sports medicine experts agree that KD's defense will be the most affected part of his game, and least likely to return to form. He may still have the instincts of an All-Defensive 1st-Teamer, but his legs won't put him in position for those plays anymore.

Up and down the roster, we have players with poor defensive track records. Let's explore:

I knew this was a mulligan year for Durant and Irving, so I really hoped that Caris and Taurean took this opportunity show that they could be our defensive anchors. Prince improved his one-on-one defense, but he was an absolute disaster with team schemes. Caris showed little discipline on that end, and even less effort.

Kyrie has always been and probably always will be slightly below average as a defender. He just doesn't care enough to burn energy on D, unless it's against Steph in the Finals. He's an offensive Picasso so you live with it, but you MUST have plus- defenders around him or the system fails.

DeAndre was decent when he was satisfied with his minutes. The problem is, he thinks he needs Jokic PT, when his limitations in the modern game scream 22mpg max. He can't or won't switch screens, he's purely a drop big. But even then, he's a turnstile against even average dribble drive.

Joe? He's improved from putrid to playable. He's still a net negative on D, and he'll be our undoing if he has to face Jimmy, Kawhi or Lebron.

Spencer has morphed his game to suit his teams' needs, but he's never been a solid defender either.

Jarrett is our best defender, but he's not a leader. Garrett and TLC are our only other positive contributors on D, and as team options, it's likely one of both won't have a roster spot with us next season, let alone a rotation spot.

So check... this is the nature of the threat. You can install all of the defensive wizardry you want, an entire group of below average defenders do not morph into a championship defense. We saw our capabilities in the bubble, when we brought multiple actual plus defenders into the rotation. The problem is, none of our big salaries bring that. If we don't bring in at least one truly transcendent stopper, it won't matter how gifted we are offensively. You can hope to find another Nwaba in FA, that's highly unlikely and everyone is searching for that next diamond in the rough 3&D stud. You can draft defender for the long term, but very few prospects are positive on that end until year 2. Even a savant like Matias Thybulle wasn't an overall plus defenders as rookie, and we cannot afford to burn a year searching and developing defense. That was this year. Next year is go time, and it's going to necessitate some more roster changes. The solution can't be to freeze $40mil in payroll on the bench; we need to trade those guys for guys who don't need the ball, who simply want to do the dirty work to support our two stars.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2016 » by Paradise » Mon Oct 5, 2020 11:52 pm

Nets are the betting favorites to win the East. 3rd best odds to win the 2021 title.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,530
And1: 1,515
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2017 » by MGrand15 » Tue Oct 6, 2020 1:01 am

ecuhus1981 wrote:We're building on a shaky defensive foundation.

It would be irresponsible for Sean and Steve to expect Kevin to be our defensive ace, coming back from serious injury. Even the most optimistic sports medicine experts agree that KD's defense will be the most affected part of his game, and least likely to return to form. He may still have the instincts of an All-Defensive 1st-Teamer, but his legs won't put him in position for those plays anymore.

Up and down the roster, we have players with poor defensive track records. Let's explore:

I knew this was a mulligan year for Durant and Irving, so I really hoped that Caris and Taurean took this opportunity show that they could be our defensive anchors. Prince improved his one-on-one defense, but he was an absolute disaster with team schemes. Caris showed little discipline on that end, and even less effort.

Kyrie has always been and probably always will be slightly below average as a defender. He just doesn't care enough to burn energy on D, unless it's against Steph in the Finals. He's an offensive Picasso so you live with it, but you MUST have plus- defenders around him or the system fails.

DeAndre was decent when he was satisfied with his minutes. The problem is, he thinks he needs Jokic PT, when his limitations in the modern game scream 22mpg max. He can't or won't switch screens, he's purely a drop big. But even then, he's a turnstile against even average dribble drive.

Joe? He's improved from putrid to playable. He's still a net negative on D, and he'll be our undoing if he has to face Jimmy, Kawhi or Lebron.

Spencer has morphed his game to suit his teams' needs, but he's never been a solid defender either.

Jarrett is our best defender, but he's not a leader. Garrett and TLC are our only other positive contributors on D, and as team options, it's likely one of both won't have a roster spot with us next season, let alone a rotation spot.

So check... this is the nature of the threat. You can install all of the defensive wizardry you want, an entire group of below average defenders do not morph into a championship defense. We saw our capabilities in the bubble, when we brought multiple actual plus defenders into the rotation. The problem is, none of our big salaries bring that. If we don't bring in at least one truly transcendent stopper, it won't matter how gifted we are offensively. You can hope to find another Nwaba in FA, that's highly unlikely and everyone is searching for that next diamond in the rough 3&D stud. You can draft defender for the long term, but very few prospects are positive on that end until year 2. Even a savant like Matias Thybulle wasn't an overall plus defenders as rookie, and we cannot afford to burn a year searching and developing defense. That was this year. Next year is go time, and it's going to necessitate some more roster changes. The solution can't be to freeze $40mil in payroll on the bench; we need to trade those guys for guys who don't need the ball, who simply want to do the dirty work to support our two stars.


Sounds like you don't believe in this team as even a fringe contender at all unless we make multiple major moves. You don't think anyone in our rotation is even average on defense except Jarrett and maybe KD? That puts us basically in the bottom 10 defensive teams.

Yeah, I don't really see that at all. At worst, I think this is an average defense (as we've been the last 2 years) with an elite offense. A transcendent stopper would be awesome but who's out there? What will they cost? And even if we get him, we're definitely giving up our best defender - JA - so that's another hole to fill. I agree we need to get better but I think we can get there without a bunch of big moves.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2018 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:36 am

stormi wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
stormi wrote:
Yea I didn't try to hijack this thread anyways. I've done enough grieving about Elton and this entire organization

I came in here to see what ideas y'all had for the team surrounding KD and Kyrie. Y'all want hard working roleplayers like the lakers have? I've seen some PG stuff too lol


depends on who you ask. Me personally, I want to come back with the full roster we have plus an MLE defensive wing and the #19 pick. I think we have one of the league's better benches if healthy and Irving/LeVert/Harris/KD/Allen are a pretty good five.


How you feel about that starting 5 defensively


Not highly on the perimeter. But if we can land a MLE player that can defend on the wing and can reliably hit open threes, we can shift LeVert to the 2nd unit.

Either way, the onus will be on our opponents being able to stop our offense. What will you try to take away to stop the Nets, assuming KD is 100%? Especially on roster with guards like Kyrie, Spencer Dinwiddie, and Caris LeVert and an elite 3 point shooter like Joe Harris waiting for catch and shoot ops? And two rim runner bigs in Allen and Jordan? I think this roster next season will be explosive offensively, if we can shore up the defensive personnel i feel very confident
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2019 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:38 am

Paradise wrote:Nets are the betting favorites to win the East. 3rd best odds to win the 2021 title.

Read on Twitter


Read on Twitter


Vegas took one look at the roster and knew.

Barring injury, we should be an elite offensive ball club.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#2020 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Oct 6, 2020 2:40 am

MGrand15 wrote:I'm getting more convinced that IF KD 100% buys in on defense, we can get by defensively if we add like 2 Harkless level players. Guys that can hang with Tatum, Jimmy, Simmons, LBJ, Giannis. If you throw Harkless (or a similar Crowder type player) on those stars - with KD + Jarrett Allen protecting the rim, that's A LOT of length and BBIQ that guys need to get through to score. KD is a guy that has really caused havoc defensively in the past at the rim + the perimeter.

It's nice to have elite defenders at guard but I don't think it's that important compared to physical forwards + rim protection. Miami is getting it done with Dragic, Herro, Robinson playing major minutes. Those guys just play hard and the entire team executes the game plan to cover for them. Kyrie, Harris, LeVert, Dinwiddie are competitive enough to be on that level.

The problem comes if KD isn't at 90% of where he was defensively. Or if Kyrie + KD + DJ don't buy in on defense. If they don't, then yes - we need to overhaul the squad and surround them with some really good defenders. Kyrie last year was competitive and physical but I don't think he bought in to the system defensively at all. DJ's effort level was really up and down but when it was up, he's damn good defensively.


I think that defense can be addressed with the MLE, #19 and vet mins.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like

Return to Brooklyn Nets