ImageImageImageImageImage

Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: Nets Going Forward: Planning for Next Season 

Post#81 » by DarkXaero » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:27 am

Paradise wrote:Nets reportedly turned down Prince/Allen + filler for Capela.

Read on Twitter
Insulting offer imo considering Allen is easily worth much more than Capela.
LOUiS-D
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,900

Post#82 » by LOUiS-D » Tue Feb 4, 2020 10:56 am

DarkXaero wrote:

Read on Twitter
Insulting offer imo considering Allen is easily worth much more than Capela.

Look at the per36 numbers. They're basically the same player except Capela's rebound rate is higher and Allen is overall more efficient. And Capela plays with James freaking Harden. Both players have the same usage. Oh and he's 4 years younger and 13M cheaper.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#83 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 4, 2020 12:01 pm

Wonder if we're in the running for Iggy on the cheap?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#84 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:09 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:Right now, these guys are imo the keepers:

KD/Kyrie duh

DJ

Spencer/Joe/GT

I believe these guys are definitely pieces for a championship roster

Jarrett Allen I think is a solid piece but he's probably our most valuable asset so he should definitely be involved in trade talks.

Claxton is definitely a piece that can be an NBA player so i would keep him if Allen is getting moved.

If I had to choose on who I would rather keep between LeVert and Prince, it's probably Prince because his floor spacing will be key for when we have the whole squad intact.

LeVert imo has played his way off of this roster.

id agree with this.

i think for a pre-deadline trade you are likely looking at either:

A) a big trade involving Allen, Spencer, and picks (you wont see prince or levert, without their extensions we can take big salary back)

B) a smaller deal with Allen, Kurucs, Musa Picks to land a covington level player and maybe a backup pg or C

C) and even smaller deal with kurucs, musa, and or picks to land a lame duck like Markieff Morris

I think A would surprise me unless we overpay for someone like Covington. Otherwise id bank on B or C with someone like:

Marvin Williams
Tyler Johnson
Tony Snell
Langston Galloway
Aaron Baynes
Dario Saric
Markief Morris
Alec Burks
Denzel Valentine
Harry Giles
Mike Muscala
Deandry Bembry

From that list id prefer Bembry or Morris who are both guys who can get stops at multiple positions and not kill you on offense. Marvin williams fits but it would be tough to get the matching sallary back. Baynes i love but it would mean allen would go. not sure i love that given allens age. the other dont really fit or are just other teams versions of what already falls short here

I'd be livid if Allen was traded for a so-so player, a Covington or anything like that. You either involve him as the central piece in a blockbuster trade, or you make deals that don't involve him. He's too young, too good, fits too well in the modern NBA and this team, to just throw away on some Billy King $hit for a player like that.

im not advocating for it... im saying those are the deals that work math wise. maybe its kurucs/musa/2 seconds for someone on that list. maybe its pinson and the philly first for someone on that list.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#85 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:13 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
I think its easier to see it when you take an unbias look at him when he isnt bad.

People really went all-time over the top on levert when he was at his best... because it was really all that great. he was like an 18/4/4 player on mediocure efficiency on a sub .500 team. pre-injury last year everyone called him a star yet we were 6-8 and sub 20 points with average shooting. for a #1 option on a losing team, that screams average.

he was always closer to jordan clarkson and those types than an all-star. he has dropped off from there. its not a large a fall as some thing, because he was never as good as they thought

Personally I don't even disagree with this, in fact I almost entirely agree with it. But I also feel like people are prisoners of the moment on the opposite polar. He's still a young, average-ish NBA player on a contract a bit below that and he has the potential to be a lot better, simply off, if he can get more consistent with age, he becomes an average to above average player/starter/stud 6xth man, instead of a guy with maddening swings and overall a lot more games with inefficiency issues.

The bottom line is, you can find a few GM's who will value him as the latter thinking once their staff gets hold of him he's a 16/5/4 guy on solid efficiency with solid D for years you slot in-between your 2 stars or off the bench you unleash him. So I think this summer, he's still a guy with positive value unless he remains a trainwreck the rest of this year.
I mostly agree with what has been said here as well. My hope was that Levert would develop into an all star caliber guard, maybe someone like (a bigger) Oladipo lite. But he's now a 4th year player who has developed, but still has zero consistency. In this modern era of NBA, I don't think its far fetched to say that Levert could still be a 18/5/5 player, or something like 20/5/5 on average-ish efficiency at his peak. But there are still way too many question marks over him, for the situation that we are going to be in (title contention).

So yeah, like you said, there are still going to be GMs out there (especially on rebuilding teams) who will think that they can develop him into that guy, and they wouldn't be wrong to think that. But for us, I just think that unless he takes major leaps here soon, his time as a Net is running out.

The problem is even if he did post something like 17/5/4 on like 54 TS% and turned his D around you still have the issue where he has been injured every single year going back to his sophmore year in college with several different injuries and is going to be 26. His contract isnt bad, but it also isnt really value given his age/shooting/injuries.

I dont think you get anything more than late lotto pick for levert, or anything better than a jordan clarkson level guy for levert.... and both of those things are basically the same as levert
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#86 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:14 pm

Read on Twitter

Hopefully marks reported them for attempted robbery

i wouldnt do allen straight up for capella
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#87 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 2:15 pm

vincecarter4pres wrote:Wonder if we're in the running for Iggy on the cheap?

Given how bad it is in memphis im not sure id want him here. he is also 35, declining and hasnt really had a good season in 2 years
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#88 » by MGrand15 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:15 pm

I think if Marks could turn Allen/Musa/Rodi + draft pick for Capela and a big strong wing - he'd do it in a heart beat. I like Allen a lot but I don't think the playoff concerns can be ignored. Wing defense is also a clear issue. That's 100% necessary in today's NBA.

I don't think the math is gonna work out for this deadline. Things will be easier in the off-season when Prince and LeVert's extensions kick in.

Also I think Dinwiddie is basically untouchable with Kyrie's injury history.
drchaos
Rookie
And1: 409

Post#89 » by drchaos » Tue Feb 4, 2020 3:26 pm

If we cobbled together the following assets in an attempt to get one better player what is the best we could hope for?

Garrett Temple
Wilson Chandler
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot
Sixers 2020 first round pick
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#90 » by MGrand15 » Tue Feb 4, 2020 4:30 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I think if Marks could turn Allen/Musa/Rodi + draft pick for Capela and a big strong wing - he'd do it in a heart beat. I like Allen a lot but I don't think the playoff concerns can be ignored. Wing defense is also a clear issue. That's 100% necessary in today's NBA.

I don't think the math is gonna work out for this deadline. Things will be easier in the off-season when Prince and LeVert's extensions kick in.

Just to be fair to Allen, outside of his lack of strength, I don't think this is all on him. He's always playing next to undersized PFs who can't do too much to help him out. Our scheme doesn't really use his speed at all. We don't trap or blitz PNRs at all. Something I think he'd be really good at. And we rarely double when he's being posted up. Kind of a shame. With our speed, we could probably force a ton of turnovers if we tried playing this way.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#91 » by Paradise » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:09 pm

drchaos wrote:If we cobbled together the following assets in an attempt to get one better player what is the best we could hope for?

Garrett Temple
Wilson Chandler
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot

Maybe Markieff Morris.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Post#92 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:27 pm

You guys think Allen is better than Capella?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,436

Post#93 » by vincecarter4pres » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:30 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:I think if Marks could turn Allen/Musa/Rodi + draft pick for Capela and a big strong wing - he'd do it in a heart beat. I like Allen a lot but I don't think the playoff concerns can be ignored. Wing defense is also a clear issue. That's 100% necessary in today's NBA.

Just to be fair to Allen, outside of his lack of strength, I don't think this is all on him. He's always playing next to undersized PFs who can't do too much to help him out. Our scheme doesn't really use his speed at all. We don't trap or blitz PNRs at all. Something I think he'd be really good at. And we rarely double when he's being posted up. Kind of a shame. With our speed, we could probably force a ton of turnovers if we tried playing this way.

Yeah I just don't get the concern with Allen. I'm excited he's on this roster.

If he isn't the main piece in bringing back a guy like KAT, or maybe Beal, or a Paul George or something, why deal him?
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
Claud
Sixth Man
And1: 872

Post#94 » by Claud » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:You guys think Allen is better than Capella?

Capela is slightly better currently but the fro is way younger and on a rookie deal.

Their stats/metric are essentially the same.

In other words, Marks was correct to turn down such move.

Capela has peaked while Allen is still 21 and can improve his game as he gets stronger and more experienced.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,829

Post#95 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 4, 2020 5:48 pm

Claud wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:You guys think Allen is better than Capella?

Capela is slightly better currently but the fro is way younger and on a rookie deal.

Their stats/metric are essentially the same.

In other words, Marks was correct to turn down such move.

Capela has peaked while Allen is still 21 and can improve his game as he gets stronger and more experienced.

I agree. I am just curious because Allen was getting dogged after the Washington game so I am kind of surprised guys would prefer to have him over Capella.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#96 » by ProspectPark » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:01 pm

If we traded for Capela, we’d literally be spending $30 million per year on 2 Centers who can’t shoot.

No chance in hell Marks would trade Allen for Capela.
Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,237

Post#97 » by Papi_swav » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:19 pm

Ofcourse we declined that Capella trade, it makes no sense. Allen is basically Capella already at just 21 years old. Prince seems to be playing better lately too . I don't think we make any major moves, maybe a cheap bench guy. We need a wing defender.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#98 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:49 pm

What playoff concerns? Allen has been better than Capella this year, despite capella having no attention on him and 0 pressure to have to play strong defense.

id need Capella, 2 firsts, and PJ tucker to evenc onsider it. and probably still a no since capella is 4 years older and more expensive
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#99 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:50 pm

drchaos wrote:If we cobbled together the following assets in an attempt to get one better player what is the best we could hope for?

Garrett Temple
Wilson Chandler
Timothe Luwawu-Cabarrot

that probably doesnt get you anyone much better than Temple. A bad team wont value the vets and a 2nd round pick and 2-way guy doesnt help their rebuild.

a contender wont want to turn their key role guy into 2 lesser role guys
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#100 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 4, 2020 6:51 pm

MGrand15 wrote:

What lack of strength? he has gone toe to toe with everyone this year and come out favorably. he just outplayed drummond in back to back games

Return to Brooklyn Nets