GT: Bulls vs Bed Stuy - Friday, 01/31/20 | 7:30pm EST

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

NetsJets
Starter
And1: 658

Re: GT: Bulls vs Bed Stuy - Friday, 01/31/20 | 7:30pm EST 

Post#101 » by NetsJets » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:39 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
NetsJets wrote:LeVert had a bad game. He played well in the last game I’m not gonna trip over it too much.

True. I think the issue is that we are expecting to see Caris be the guy we saw in the playoffs. It's just not happening for some reason.

Yeah I agree with you.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#102 » by NetsJets » Sat Feb 1, 2020 4:40 pm

I can’t be the only one that feels this way and let me know if I’m wrong, but as good as Kyrie played last night the fact that it took Kyrie playing out of his mind against a bad Bulls team for us to win is a bit concerning. Or maybe it’s just me.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#103 » by DarkXaero » Sat Feb 1, 2020 6:24 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Lavine is everything we want Caris to be.

Ew. I'm more bear-ish on Zach than most, but I would hope that our desires for Caris are higher than this.
Lavine is slightly younger than Levert and a way better player than Levert right now. Let's be honest if Levert had Lavine's numbers right now, we'd be over the moon.

Sent from my LG-H931 using RealGM mobile app
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#104 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Feb 1, 2020 6:59 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:

Ew. I'm more bear-ish on Zach than most, but I would hope that our desires for Caris are higher than this.
Lavine is slightly younger than Levert and a way better player than Levert right now. Let's be honest if Levert had Lavine's numbers right now, we'd be over the moon.

Most folks probably would be ecstatic with Zach instead of Caris, and BELIEVE ME, I'm frustrated with Levert right now.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that by any statistical measure Levert is better than Lavine right now. I'm saying that our hope for what he can become should be higher than Lavine is currently, which is not difficult even for CLV. All those numbers and dunks mean nothing, when he constantly ruins his team's chances for wins. I rail on Caris all the time for his defense, but Zach's is even worse, and his shooting efficiency is not as good as it looks with surface stats.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,559

Post#105 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:34 pm

NetsJets wrote:I can’t be the only one that feels this way and let me know if I’m wrong, but as good as Kyrie played last night the fact that it took Kyrie playing out of his mind against a bad Bulls team for us to win is a bit concerning. Or maybe it’s just me.

I think it's a valid concern but we also got good play from Spencer, Prince, Temple, and Allen last night. Even though Kyrie was killing them it he had some help.

If Harris and LeVert can get going we can be a lot better post ASB. That starting unit of Allen/Prince/Harris/Temple/Irving is pretty solid.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,559

Post#106 » by MrDollarBills » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:43 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Ew. I'm more bear-ish on Zach than most, but I would hope that our desires for Caris are higher than this.

Most folks probably would be ecstatic with Zach instead of Caris, and BELIEVE ME, I'm frustrated with Levert right now.

Let me be clear, I'm not saying that by any statistical measure Levert is better than Lavine right now. I'm saying that our hope for what he can become should be higher than Lavine is currently, which is not difficult even for CLV. All those numbers and dunks mean nothing, when he constantly ruins his team's chances for wins. I rail on Caris all the time for his defense, but Zach's is even worse, and his shooting efficiency is not as good as it looks with surface stats.

LeVert's TS% is like 46% and he's a negative on both ends of the floor. Lavine is a borderline all star level player, LeVert is barely a rotational player this season...dude is posting a PER of 10. If KD was playing you could make a case for LeVert being benched because he doesn't provide spacing, he has regressed as a ball handler/decision maker, he's an awful defender, and he can't finish.

If LeVert was to reach Lavine's level we would be I'm great shape....but he's not and frankly I'm concerned if he doesn't snap out of it that the Nets made a mistake.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#107 » by DarkXaero » Sat Feb 1, 2020 7:44 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:Ew. I'm more bear-ish on Zach than most, but I would hope that our desires for Caris are higher than this.

Lavine's efficiency is fine, much better than Caris has ever been. He's averaging 25 PPG on 56.5% TS% this season, and he averaged 24 PPG last season on 57.4% TS% last season. So his efficiency is actually slightly above average. I'm not a big Lavine fan, but he's a flat out much better player than Levert has been, and Levert has a long way to go until he reaches Lavine's level. Yes, Lavine is a **** defender, but so is Levert. I'd be delighted if Levert reached Lavine's level anytime soon.
NetsJets
Starter

Post#108 » by NetsJets » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:12 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
NetsJets wrote:I can’t be the only one that feels this way and let me know if I’m wrong, but as good as Kyrie played last night the fact that it took Kyrie playing out of his mind against a bad Bulls team for us to win is a bit concerning. Or maybe it’s just me.

I think it's a valid concern but we also got good play from Spencer, Prince, Temple, and Allen last night. Even though Kyrie was killing them it he had some help.

If Harris and LeVert can get going we can be a lot better post ASB. That starting unit of Allen/Prince/Harris/Temple/Irving is pretty solid.

The Bulls came back when Kyrie was on the bench
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#109 » by Born_Ready » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:26 pm

I'm wondering if Caris is still not 100% and is only playing due to the team being in a playoff push. If the Nets weren't hovering at the bottom of the east for a lower seed (not having anything to play for) would Caris even be out there?

I'm not ready to give up on him and with the extension he received prior to the season I don't think the franchise is ready to just give up on him either. I would be surprised to see LeVert be the one traded if there were a trade . Just my . 02 cents worth.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#110 » by gigantes » Sat Feb 1, 2020 9:47 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Lavine is slightly younger than Levert and a way better player than Levert right now. Let's be honest if Levert had Lavine's numbers right now, we'd be over the moon.

LeVert's TS% is like 46% and he's a negative on both ends of the floor. Lavine is a borderline all star level player, LeVert is barely a rotational player this season...dude is posting a PER of 10. If KD was playing you could make a case for LeVert being benched because he doesn't provide spacing, he has regressed as a ball handler/decision maker, he's an awful defender, and he can't finish.

If LeVert was to reach Lavine's level we would be I'm great shape....but he's not and frankly I'm concerned if he doesn't snap out of it that the Nets made a mistake.

Believe it or not, Caris' defensive RAPTOR is actually -1.1, which is pretty good for a scoring, ball-handling guard. By comparison, Spencer's and Kyrie's d-RAPTOR are -3.1 and -3.5 respectively, and obviously they're still hugely valuable players, particularly Irving, whose offense rating matches Trae Young's at 7.3, behind only Harden, Lillard and Doncic in the whole league(!)

All of this suggests that if CLV can shake off his post-injury malaise and turn his offensive game around, it would make a pretty hefty contribution to the team's bottom line. So at least there's reasonable hope.

Also, despite his woes, LeVert's "Wins Above Replacement" is only -.3, not nearly as terrible as one might suspect. In fact, one thing that kinda stands out about the roster is that his WAR represents the low point of the whole team's. Pretty much everyone is either neutral or positive, which seems like it's an achievement of some particular value, and maybe reflects that individually, the players are bringing it. FWIW.

(Note: stats pulled from Nate Silver's site:
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-ratings/)
Rich Rane
Senior Mod - Nets
Senior Mod - Nets
And1: 13,752

Post#111 » by Rich Rane » Sun Feb 2, 2020 12:31 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Rich Rane wrote:I got a kick out of one play in the 4th quarter where Allen had a huge block to kickstart a fast break that Kyrie finished with an And-1 and the first thing he did was to hype up Allen for that block.

That sequence to end the first half was pretty ridiculous.

A small thing I've noticed. The last two games at the end or when he's about to check out of the game for good, Kyrie goes over and hugs Kenny.

Kenny was with Kyrie last Sunday when the news broke (Kenny confirmed it in a presser after the Knicks game) and spent time with him before he left the arena. Whatever happened, it seems that they're a bit closer for it.

I remember that. On a lighter note, he hugged Common after Kenny. Common was there for the Bulls, but I think he wanted to cheer Kyrie on. Didn't clap for us one play, but he did a nice lean back and kick on Kyrie's halftime buzzer beater.

I mentioned the Allen thing earlier and I think I got a kick out of it because we're only a few weeks removed from so many people saying he was horrible teammate and how he threw his teammates under the bus, including Allen.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#112 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:50 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:

higher than levine?

Levine is a 25/5/4 player who shoots 38% from three, is unselfish, busts his hump on D and is an elite finisher

Higher than levine is like luka doncic
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#113 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 3, 2020 12:52 pm

kamaze wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
NetsJets wrote:LeVert had a bad game. He played well in the last game I’m not gonna trip over it too much.

True. I think the issue is that we are expecting to see Caris be the guy we saw in the playoffs. It's just not happening for some reason.

The team now is totally different than last year's squad. There's not as much ball movement now.

there is actually more ball movement, and less isolation (3% less) and more pick and roll (2% more)

Return to Brooklyn Nets