ImageImageImageImageImage

If Every Net Were a Comedian...

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#1 » by ecuhus1981 » Wed Feb 5, 2020 11:35 pm

As much time as I spend fanboy'-ing out on our team, and as much time as I spend listening to comics, I'm surprised that this synapse has not fired until now!

Some of Spencer Dinwiddie's comments about the Skills challenge reminded me of Rodney Dangerfield (no respect, I tell ya, no respect!"). And I started thinking, maybe the old adage is true that everyone IS a comedian!

I'd like to share my player-comedian comparisons, but I don't want the discussion to end there. I'd really love to hear your suggestions! Maybe you'd like to go in a different direction. Maybe we can go all out and compare comedian's routines to correlated player sound bytes. Or, maybe this thread flames out after 4 views. Either way, here goes:

Kevin Durant = Kevin Hart - classic Napoleon complex, cannot let small slights go, been sidelined for awhile but you know he's gonna go HAM soon, incredibly prolific and endearing but has made some questionable career decisions, privately a great friend and tender soul but puts on a tough-guy public demeanor

Kyrie Irving = Demetri Martin - might be an idiot savant, might just be an idiot, probably underrated, also probably not, you gotta respect the rare talent he displays, could have also gone with Andy Kaufman here

Spencer Dinwiddie = Rodney Dangerfield - as stated above, carries the Rock of Gibraltar on his shoulder, very direct yet charismatic in his craft, self-made and surprisingly versatile but never got the big break he deserved (again, no respect), could have also gone with Bernie Mac here

DeAndre Jordan = Sinbad - Once a superstar, still effective but clearly puts less effort into it these days, will turn back the clock every now and then, seems to be blocking shine for the next generation

Joe Harris = Nick Thune - Is he funny? Or are we all just nervous-chuckling for him? In his element, can look elite. Don't ask him to go outside his comfort zone, it ain't pretty

Garrett Temple = Jon Lovitz - a real player's player, although his industry reputation far exceeds his resume, better in a team setting, super duper outkicked the coverage with his fiancee'

Taurean Prince = DeRay - not very funny overall, mostly loud and demonstrative, but occasionally fall-on-the-floor hilarious

Caris Levert = Martin Lawrence - parlayed a couple of special moments into stardom but doesn't always deliver, finessed some big paychecks and subsequently under-performed, but keeps getting chances, Eurostep is his Shenehneh

Jarrett Allen = Weird Al Yankovic - sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo "white and nerdy" but comfortable with himself, not connected to peers or competitive with rivals, just does his own thing and does it extremely well
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: If Every Net Were a Comedian... 

Post#2 » by gigantes » Thu Feb 6, 2020 12:29 am

Ah, Bernie Mac, Bernie Mac... I'm still kind of gutted, how young he passed. His was one of the rare modern sitcoms I was able to enjoy, kind of brilliantly carrying on the Malcolm in the Middle torch.

Anyway, this is a really interesting premise OP, with some fun comparisons above. Maybe I'll think of something interesting to add in due course, like working in my current fave somewhere (Jim Jefferies).
Love the Durant, Fro / Yankowic and CLV / Martin comparisons in particular.

Seems like classical comedians could work, too. Chico and Harpo Marx, Phil Silvers, Jerry Lewis, Jack Benny and others, perhaps. I'm feeling a little bit of a Dick Van Dyke - Kevin Durant vibe, too. Both lanky and sort of quick-tongued, nimble and yet clumsy at the same time. Something like that.

Pics comparisons might also work for some of these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=separated+at+birth+generator
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Feb 6, 2020 2:38 am

Ah, nice! You've added a whole new dimension to the thread!

I'll have to think about more lookalike comparisons, but this was the first one that jumped to mind:

Jarrett Allen = Josh Jackson

OK, so part of it is the fro, and they do have different complexions, but I think they have some similar features. They also have a similar quirky, dweeby but likeable personality.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#4 » by gigantes » Thu Feb 6, 2020 10:55 pm

Side note-- is it possible we're missing the whole point of this season?

Like... usually at a comedy club, you're supposed to laugh!

Return to Brooklyn Nets