ImageImageImageImageImage

Worst or Best Case Scenario?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Re: Worst or Best Case Scenario? 

Post#21 » by gigantes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:53 am

Prokorov wrote:a settlement is irrelevant in a criminal case. that would pertain only to a civil case. Rodi has alot to worry about

Just noticed your snippet of a reply.

AFAIK a defendant can drop charges, leading to the prosecutor dismissing the case.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#22 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:42 pm

gigantes wrote:
Prokorov wrote:a settlement is irrelevant in a criminal case. that would pertain only to a civil case. Rodi has alot to worry about

Just noticed your snippet of a reply.

AFAIK a defendant can drop charges, leading to the prosecutor dismissing the case.

In a civil case, if a defendant drops charges the case is over.

In a criminal case, the defendant isnt pressing charges. it is the state or the county vs. Kurucs. although if the accuser refuses to testify, then yes the prosecutor may drop the case or the judge may dismisss it.

In either event, the guy has his freedom and his money and maybe his career on the line, at age 20. not to mention, details of the criminal case may be public, and details about that could further tarnish him, making him untouchable to some/many teams.

I get sports are a great distraction, but some things you just cant tune out. especially as a 20 year old. who knows, all speculation. but i just cant imagine thats not a huge factor. Given how much we could use his skillset and how leniant Atkinson has been with scrubs like pinson and musa
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#23 » by gigantes » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:02 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that with a criminal case, the witness (injured party) could indeed drop charges, while behind the scenes a settlement was worked out and an agreement made not to proceed with a civil case.

But "settlement" seems like a word strictly attached to civil cases. So maybe it's not legal to make an arrangement like this in criminal cases, even as an agreement between both party's lawyers? Maybe this is part of why you have to have a civil case, i.e. to settle the money issues.

Btw, I notice charges were finally shared with the defense about 5 weeks ago:
The defense is likely to seek a dismissal of the case at the next court date.

The prosecutor had a Tuesday deadline to turn over his evidence. Neither side discussed what was in the filing but Spiro told the judge that he’d been previously informed the evidence does not include recordings of 911 calls associated with the incident. Nor are there any associated photos or testimony from witnesses, he said. --ND

Somewhere on Reddit I saw a comment talking about how more serious charges were added... maybe Feb 11th or so.

Teetering back and forth between something to be dismissed versus something very serious. I can understand how that could be extra stressful.

Return to Brooklyn Nets