ImageImageImageImageImage

The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

GTR11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 995
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#301 » by GTR11 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:44 am

therealbig3 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
Meh, I just try to hold the stars accountable. Kyrie put up nice stats, and he made a strong offensive impact...but we essentially gave everything back on defense when he was on the court as well. Can we say for sure that we can maintain a strong offense with Kyrie without sacrificing the defense? IDK if I can.

Celtics were better without him last year. We've been better without him this year. It's kind of a huge sample size at this point, hand waving it away doesn't really make much sense at this point.

Like I said in a later post, Kemba is like 90% of Kyrie but is actually available. That's what I mean, it's crazy to take Kyrie at this point since he's a guarantee to miss a ton of games, while Kemba has pretty much been an iron man outside of this year and 2015. And he's NEVER involved in off the court drama the way Kyrie is.

I'm also saying that if Kyrie didn't actively ask for Kenny to be fired, he damn sure didn't jump to his defense, and there's no way Kyrie didn't know that it was going down. Kenny wasn't perfect, but he was a really good coach who blatantly overachieved with the talent he's had the last 2 years. Not really sure that having Kyrie is worth losing Kenny.


So what you saying is that teams better without Kyrie and has higher ceiling? I'm really excited to hear how Cavs and Saltics became better team with higher ceiling factually and how their championship expectations grew up.


I'm saying the following:

-Kyrie is an excellent player
-however, he's overrated by his box score numbers, because the impact isn't quite that high
-there's plenty of evidence at this point that Kyrie doesn't automatically help every team situation he's in, as evidenced by last year's Celtics and this year's Nets...kind of ties in to the second point about his impact not being as high as his stat line suggests
-obviously, Kyrie helps a team's ceiling, that's not really debatable...having a really talented player on your team obviously improves your potential
-but Kyrie's actual on-court impact has been unimpressive so far to say the least...we're excusing it as a fanbase because of the occasional 50 point game and the pretty stat line and the fact that he's been injured for most of the year, but at the end of the day, he hasn't added much this year, even when he's played
-he's unreliable as a franchise player even beyond the personality issues...he's injury-prone as hell. That's why an inferior player like Kemba (who's only barely inferior btw) is just a much more valuable player, because he's actually available for the most part
-as for the Celtics and Cavs...how exactly did they do worse without Kyrie? The Cavs went to the Finals and got crushed by the Warriors...again. The Celtics are a really good, 50+ win team that has no real shot at winning a title...again

In retrospect, the only reason why we would still take Kyrie over Kemba is because Durant wouldn't have signed with us without Kyrie. But taking that out of the equation, say Durant just wanted another All-Star, didn't matter who, and we had the freedom to choose between Kyrie or Kemba? I'm taking Kemba every day of the week. He's almost as good, plays way more games, and gives you none of the drama.


This alone tramps entire thing you just wrote. Them Saltic fans got into your head with their hateful narrative. Why you think they hate him so much? You don't get players like Kyrie often, they settled for lesser version and trying to convince themselves he's better.
Kyrie injury issue been there since day one. He missed almost entire Duke season yet went #1 for a good reason. We got Din and now Chiozza to hold things down when we going to load management him. Bottom line here talent wins during playoffs and Kyrie top 3 you can make case best second star to have. He has ring to back that up.
Kyrie home now and on a mission to shut haters down. Unlike most I love to see Saltic, Craptors and Duh Nix fans spit blood behind their screen. This season was a wash. Next three years and hopefully beyond is when we going to make noise, trust me they know that and that's why hate is so strong. I don't give a damn about the hype against Kyrie. He's one of us and I'm happy he's here.
halfHAVOC
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,858
And1: 174
Joined: Jul 19, 2006
Contact:
 

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#302 » by halfHAVOC » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:54 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
halfHAVOC wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:Not to speak for him, but he doesn't post much on here anymore, he's a long time Nets fan and poster on here who's also an emcee. IIrc from JC and/or Edison. He had a video he posted on here recently, I'll try to find it. Never met him in person, but has always been a cool dude on here.


Appreciate that bro. Yeah Long time Nets fan, not an insider, but working on building a sports agency so I've been more in the basketball circles of late, just came across Dinwiddie and his people before is all. I check in on realGM when possible, read more stuff than I post. Tough to be as active these days when I'm not on my computer as much.

Interesting. How did you get into building a sports agency? that's impressive.


I'm a lawyer, and my business partner is also a lawyer who is a licensed NBA agent. We're just building it up so we cut the clients we had initially but will be looking for some higher potential ones soon once we get our foundation established.
Stream My New Basketball Anthem "KING": https://ampl.ink/7QwkY
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#303 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:01 pm

GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
So what you saying is that teams better without Kyrie and has higher ceiling? I'm really excited to hear how Cavs and Saltics became better team with higher ceiling factually and how their championship expectations grew up.


I'm saying the following:

-Kyrie is an excellent player
-however, he's overrated by his box score numbers, because the impact isn't quite that high
-there's plenty of evidence at this point that Kyrie doesn't automatically help every team situation he's in, as evidenced by last year's Celtics and this year's Nets...kind of ties in to the second point about his impact not being as high as his stat line suggests
-obviously, Kyrie helps a team's ceiling, that's not really debatable...having a really talented player on your team obviously improves your potential
-but Kyrie's actual on-court impact has been unimpressive so far to say the least...we're excusing it as a fanbase because of the occasional 50 point game and the pretty stat line and the fact that he's been injured for most of the year, but at the end of the day, he hasn't added much this year, even when he's played
-he's unreliable as a franchise player even beyond the personality issues...he's injury-prone as hell. That's why an inferior player like Kemba (who's only barely inferior btw) is just a much more valuable player, because he's actually available for the most part
-as for the Celtics and Cavs...how exactly did they do worse without Kyrie? The Cavs went to the Finals and got crushed by the Warriors...again. The Celtics are a really good, 50+ win team that has no real shot at winning a title...again

In retrospect, the only reason why we would still take Kyrie over Kemba is because Durant wouldn't have signed with us without Kyrie. But taking that out of the equation, say Durant just wanted another All-Star, didn't matter who, and we had the freedom to choose between Kyrie or Kemba? I'm taking Kemba every day of the week. He's almost as good, plays way more games, and gives you none of the drama.


This alone tramps entire thing you just wrote. Them Saltic fans got into your head with their hateful narrative. Why you think they hate him so much? You don't get players like Kyrie often, they settled for lesser version and trying to convince themselves he's better.
Kyrie injury issue been there since day one. He missed almost entire Duke season yet went #1 for a good reason. We got Din and now Chiozza to hold things down when we going to load management him. Bottom line here talent wins during playoffs and Kyrie top 3 you can make case best second star to have. He has ring to back that up.
Kyrie home now and on a mission to shut haters down. Unlike most I love to see Saltic, Craptors and Duh Nix fans spit blood behind their screen. This season was a wash. Next three years and hopefully beyond is when we going to make noise, trust me they know that and that's why hate is so strong. I don't give a damn about the hype against Kyrie. He's one of us and I'm happy he's here.


Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,022
And1: 369
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#304 » by gigantes » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:05 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
gigantes wrote:Huh... well yeah, I can get what you're saying there MDB (and others) about other fans and other fanbases using this situation to try to rake us over the coals. (no one saw that coming, right!?!)

Like-- I'll admit there's an argument out there that Kyrie & KD had major sway in this stuff, yet literally nothing, and no source of any relevance, claims whatsoever that they were significant players in Kenny's departure. Am I right or am I wrong in that? Who said exactly what, huh?

In fact (unless I'm hugely missing something), such a thing was only ever a possibility for lazy theorists, easily convinced of feel-good (or feel-hateful) rubbish.

Yet here these zombies are, with their brainless narratives, piling up outside the city gates, loudly declaiming that the Nets' system and culture is a lie, a fraud, and that we're a bunch of a-hole apologists or whatever for defending our process.

For my part, it's not just a "fluff them" moment contra other fanbases, it's also a reminder to Nets fans in general to please get over the fact that Kenny basically burned out, here. Yeah... it happened, it's happened before, and it will happen again.

Meanwhile, if you bought in to Sean Marks as a good GM in the first place, and as strengthened through the 'middle-period,' I would hope you realise that he and Kenny did basically everything right, here.


Even if you don't believe the reports that Irving and Durant didn't buy in, if they wanted Kenny to be the coach here, he would be. Simple as.

Conversely, if Kenny was burnt out and feeling resistance from too many players for too long, KD & Kyrie may not have had any real chance to persuade him to stay.
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#305 » by 7footMONSTER » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:33 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:
I'm saying the following:

-Kyrie is an excellent player
-however, he's overrated by his box score numbers, because the impact isn't quite that high
-there's plenty of evidence at this point that Kyrie doesn't automatically help every team situation he's in, as evidenced by last year's Celtics and this year's Nets...kind of ties in to the second point about his impact not being as high as his stat line suggests
-obviously, Kyrie helps a team's ceiling, that's not really debatable...having a really talented player on your team obviously improves your potential
-but Kyrie's actual on-court impact has been unimpressive so far to say the least...we're excusing it as a fanbase because of the occasional 50 point game and the pretty stat line and the fact that he's been injured for most of the year, but at the end of the day, he hasn't added much this year, even when he's played
-he's unreliable as a franchise player even beyond the personality issues...he's injury-prone as hell. That's why an inferior player like Kemba (who's only barely inferior btw) is just a much more valuable player, because he's actually available for the most part
-as for the Celtics and Cavs...how exactly did they do worse without Kyrie? The Cavs went to the Finals and got crushed by the Warriors...again. The Celtics are a really good, 50+ win team that has no real shot at winning a title...again

In retrospect, the only reason why we would still take Kyrie over Kemba is because Durant wouldn't have signed with us without Kyrie. But taking that out of the equation, say Durant just wanted another All-Star, didn't matter who, and we had the freedom to choose between Kyrie or Kemba? I'm taking Kemba every day of the week. He's almost as good, plays way more games, and gives you none of the drama.


This alone tramps entire thing you just wrote. Them Saltic fans got into your head with their hateful narrative. Why you think they hate him so much? You don't get players like Kyrie often, they settled for lesser version and trying to convince themselves he's better.
Kyrie injury issue been there since day one. He missed almost entire Duke season yet went #1 for a good reason. We got Din and now Chiozza to hold things down when we going to load management him. Bottom line here talent wins during playoffs and Kyrie top 3 you can make case best second star to have. He has ring to back that up.
Kyrie home now and on a mission to shut haters down. Unlike most I love to see Saltic, Craptors and Duh Nix fans spit blood behind their screen. This season was a wash. Next three years and hopefully beyond is when we going to make noise, trust me they know that and that's why hate is so strong. I don't give a damn about the hype against Kyrie. He's one of us and I'm happy he's here.


Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.


Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#306 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:25 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
This alone tramps entire thing you just wrote. Them Saltic fans got into your head with their hateful narrative. Why you think they hate him so much? You don't get players like Kyrie often, they settled for lesser version and trying to convince themselves he's better.
Kyrie injury issue been there since day one. He missed almost entire Duke season yet went #1 for a good reason. We got Din and now Chiozza to hold things down when we going to load management him. Bottom line here talent wins during playoffs and Kyrie top 3 you can make case best second star to have. He has ring to back that up.
Kyrie home now and on a mission to shut haters down. Unlike most I love to see Saltic, Craptors and Duh Nix fans spit blood behind their screen. This season was a wash. Next three years and hopefully beyond is when we going to make noise, trust me they know that and that's why hate is so strong. I don't give a damn about the hype against Kyrie. He's one of us and I'm happy he's here.


Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.


Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?


I'm not siding with coaches. I'm pointing out that the guy doesn't buy into any coach that he's played under. That's a legit problem.

Look at what the Celtics are doing this year without him? Kemba brought in. Tatum brought in. Look at how good they are.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief that Irving is the one constant problem in all of this. He didn't even give Kenny a chance!
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#307 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:30 am

We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 24,634
And1: 10,791
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#308 » by therealbig3 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:26 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
This alone tramps entire thing you just wrote. Them Saltic fans got into your head with their hateful narrative. Why you think they hate him so much? You don't get players like Kyrie often, they settled for lesser version and trying to convince themselves he's better.
Kyrie injury issue been there since day one. He missed almost entire Duke season yet went #1 for a good reason. We got Din and now Chiozza to hold things down when we going to load management him. Bottom line here talent wins during playoffs and Kyrie top 3 you can make case best second star to have. He has ring to back that up.
Kyrie home now and on a mission to shut haters down. Unlike most I love to see Saltic, Craptors and Duh Nix fans spit blood behind their screen. This season was a wash. Next three years and hopefully beyond is when we going to make noise, trust me they know that and that's why hate is so strong. I don't give a damn about the hype against Kyrie. He's one of us and I'm happy he's here.


Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.


Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?


And what about Brad Stevens and Kenny Atkinson?

Whether they're good or bad, Kyrie hasn't bought into anyone as a head coach so far. Why this isn't a huge cause of concern for the fanbase is beyond me. That Kyrie Kool Aid must be awesome.
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#309 » by 7footMONSTER » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:29 am

MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


A lot of that is on Kenny. Kenny refused to be flexible. It was always his way or the highway. That type of drill sergeant attitude works with young players who don’t know any better, but I can’t fault KD, Kyrie, and all our vets to get turned off by that.

That’s how you lose a locker room.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#310 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:42 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.


Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?


I'm not siding with coaches. I'm pointing out that the guy doesn't buy into any coach that he's played under. That's a legit problem.

Look at what the Celtics are doing this year without him? Kemba brought in. Tatum brought in. Look at how good they are.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief that Irving is the one constant problem in all of this. He didn't even give Kenny a chance!


The celtics have a much better record when Kemba doesnt play (.715 vs. .650). The celtics were a mess last year and not just kyrie. the entire team had issues. morris, horford, rozier, kyrie, brown, heyward.... they had to gut half the team to sort it out.

every shred of evicence is that this had nothing to do with Kyrie and that the team pretty much unanimously turned on kenny.

the hate on irving is the most riddiculous thing ive ever seen on this forum, and that is saying alot.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#311 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 am

MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


We will win with kyrie because he and KD are elite talents and elite talent wins.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#312 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:44 am

therealbig3 wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Even though the Kenny situation doesn't sit well with me, I'm not buying the narrative that the Nets are better without Kyrie.

Boston won 55 games and Kyrie led them in win shares his first year there. If he was healthy I'd have no doubts that we'd be contending for seeds 4-6 instead of being locked in at 7 or 8.

That being said, his lack of availability is a concern to the point where we may have to sink serious cash into the PG position just as a precaution, and I worry that he may not just buy into what ANY coach is selling. He didn't buy into Mike Brown, David Blatt, Tyrone Lue, Brad Stevens, and now Kenny. Who the hell would it take for us to bring in here who this guy won't be a problem for? Kyrie chose the Nets because it's the hometown team and he liked what the team was doing...and in 5 months Kenny Atkinson is out.

Good luck to the next coach. Irving seems to be uncoachable. My last remaining hope is that Durant comes back, takes the reins as the alpha dog and everyone else falls in line behind KD.


Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?


And what about Brad Stevens and Kenny Atkinson?

Whether they're good or bad, Kyrie hasn't bought into anyone as a head coach so far. Why this isn't a huge cause of concern for the fanbase is beyond me. That Kyrie Kool Aid must be awesome.


The celtics were outstanding with Kyrie. nearly a .700 win percentage.

the entire team was a mess for boston last year. not just kyrie.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#313 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


A lot of that is on Kenny. Kenny refused to be flexible. It was always his way or the highway. That type of drill sergeant attitude works with young players who don’t know any better, but I can’t fault KD, Kyrie, and all our vets to get turned off by that.

That’s how you lose a locker room.


So the narrative now is that Kenny was a drill sergeant? Since when?

You're basically trying to say that it's not Kyrie, but everyone else. I'm not buying that.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#314 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


We will win with kyrie because he and KD are elite talents and elite talent wins.


Elite talent wins when it buys in.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,243
And1: 12,856
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#315 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:20 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Why do we always side with the coaches?

What was Kyrie going to learn from coaches like Mike Brown, David Blatt, or Ty Lue?


I'm not siding with coaches. I'm pointing out that the guy doesn't buy into any coach that he's played under. That's a legit problem.

Look at what the Celtics are doing this year without him? Kemba brought in. Tatum brought in. Look at how good they are.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief that Irving is the one constant problem in all of this. He didn't even give Kenny a chance!


The celtics have a much better record when Kemba doesnt play (.715 vs. .650). The celtics were a mess last year and not just kyrie. the entire team had issues. morris, horford, rozier, kyrie, brown, heyward.... they had to gut half the team to sort it out.

every shred of evicence is that this had nothing to do with Kyrie and that the team pretty much unanimously turned on kenny.

the hate on irving is the most riddiculous thing ive ever seen on this forum, and that is saying alot.


We literally have reports stating that Irving didn't want to play for Kenny, a guy who you called an elite top 5 coach.

This year's Celtics are cruising right now with two all stars, one of whom may get an MVP vote or two if the season ever resumes.

I'm not hating on Kyrie, I've said before that he gets dumped on unfairly but the fact that he didn't even want to give it a chance with Atkinson mixed with his past history makes me think the guy is uncoachable.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
GTR11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 995
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#316 » by GTR11 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:49 pm

Handy is the wild card, under-the-radar choice in this search. Currently serving as an assistant coach with the Lakers, he’s a two-time NBA champion — with Irving and the Cavaliers in 2016 and the Raptors last season. He’s well respected around the league as a skills trainer and for what he brings as a coach — KD and Kyrie both follow him on Instagram. While in Cleveland, Handy was assigned to be Irving’s personal coach, going through workouts with him before each game. Many reports suggest that Handy was the coach Irving was closest with while in Cleveland — not Lue. If Irving and Durant truly have their way as decision makers in the Nets organization, it would make a whole lot of sense to see Handy in Brooklyn next season...


https://www.netsdaily.com/2020/3/12/21176190/is-phil-handy-the-big-sleeper-in-nets-coaching-search

Seems like some did their homework.
7footMONSTER
Pro Prospect
Posts: 879
And1: 674
Joined: Jul 17, 2019
     

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#317 » by 7footMONSTER » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:11 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm not siding with coaches. I'm pointing out that the guy doesn't buy into any coach that he's played under. That's a legit problem.

Look at what the Celtics are doing this year without him? Kemba brought in. Tatum brought in. Look at how good they are.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief that Irving is the one constant problem in all of this. He didn't even give Kenny a chance!


The celtics have a much better record when Kemba doesnt play (.715 vs. .650). The celtics were a mess last year and not just kyrie. the entire team had issues. morris, horford, rozier, kyrie, brown, heyward.... they had to gut half the team to sort it out.

every shred of evicence is that this had nothing to do with Kyrie and that the team pretty much unanimously turned on kenny.

the hate on irving is the most riddiculous thing ive ever seen on this forum, and that is saying alot.


We literally have reports stating that Irving didn't want to play for Kenny, a guy who you called an elite top 5 coach.

This year's Celtics are cruising right now with two all stars, one of whom may get an MVP vote or two if the season ever resumes.

I'm not hating on Kyrie, I've said before that he gets dumped on unfairly but the fact that he didn't even want to give it a chance with Atkinson mixed with his past history makes me think the guy is uncoachable.


In Cleveland he bought in under Blatt and Lue. Asking a young point guard with elite handles who is trying to grow his game to play off ball isn’t easy. He did it for 3 years.

In Boston, there was a lot of bs that had nothing to do with him. 8 players who all believed they should be starting and playing significant minutes (Kyrie, Rozier, Smart, Brown, Tatum, Hayward, Morris, Horford). Stevens struggled creating a hierarchy. Danny Ainge was dangling the entire team in trade talks. It’s amazing Kyrie even got them as far as he did. Magic was trying to get AD to the Lakers and their entire season blew up.

In Brooklyn, we have a 2 year championship window. I think the front office and players loved Kenny, but they also recognized that he was still a few years away from being a legit championship caliber coach. Kenny himself probably knew that. It wasn’t just Kyrie.

At the end of the day, I’m happy that we finally have players that care and are willing to voice their opinions to light a fire under everyone’s ass. For over 2 decades we’ve had players like J-Kidd, D-Will, Joe Johnson, K-Mart, RJ, Vince, Joe Johnson, Brook Lopez, and Gerald Wallace, who in all seriousness, seemed like they were content with getting paid and going home in the 1st round. At least we have players now that demand greatness from each other, the coaching staff, the front office, and the owner.
GTR11
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,095
And1: 995
Joined: Jan 17, 2019
   

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#318 » by GTR11 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:38 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


Wondering why not critical on Tsai as much. He's the one who fired Kenny after all. Also it's clearly Marks who bumped heads with Kenny not Kyrie. Both KD and Kyrie wanted Melo, how did that worked out... we got Wilson Chandler instead. That's Kenny's boy, Prince was he's guy as well.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#319 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:43 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We're not going anywhere with Irving if he doesn't be a leader and buy in. It seems like once he didn't buy in to Kenny other guys followed suit.

Iman Shumpert was on the radio today raving about Kenny and how much he helped him and how great a coach he is for guards...and yet Kyrie wasn't feeling him.

Who the hell is going to coach this guy? Serious question.


We will win with kyrie because he and KD are elite talents and elite talent wins.


Elite talent wins when it buys in.


and i see no indicaiton he hasnt.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 35,736
And1: 11,535
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: The Nets and Kenny Atkinson part ways 

Post#320 » by Prokorov » Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:45 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
I'm not siding with coaches. I'm pointing out that the guy doesn't buy into any coach that he's played under. That's a legit problem.

Look at what the Celtics are doing this year without him? Kemba brought in. Tatum brought in. Look at how good they are.

I'm sorry, but I'm of the belief that Irving is the one constant problem in all of this. He didn't even give Kenny a chance!


The celtics have a much better record when Kemba doesnt play (.715 vs. .650). The celtics were a mess last year and not just kyrie. the entire team had issues. morris, horford, rozier, kyrie, brown, heyward.... they had to gut half the team to sort it out.

every shred of evicence is that this had nothing to do with Kyrie and that the team pretty much unanimously turned on kenny.

the hate on irving is the most riddiculous thing ive ever seen on this forum, and that is saying alot.


We literally have reports stating that Irving didn't want to play for Kenny, a guy who you called an elite top 5 coach.

This year's Celtics are cruising right now with two all stars, one of whom may get an MVP vote or two if the season ever resumes.

I'm not hating on Kyrie, I've said before that he gets dumped on unfairly but the fact that he didn't even want to give it a chance with Atkinson mixed with his past history makes me think the guy is uncoachable.


i see nothing to indicate Kyrie wasnt going to give it a shot with kenny... it seems that others/the team as a whole was unwilling.

what exactly has Kyrie done again that is so wrong? He came here, balled his ass off, got hurt, played through injury, rested and got a shot to avoid surgery, came back, balle dout agian, injury didnt get better. now he needs surgery

all i see is maybe he didnt love a coach at most of the team also didnt seem to love.

Return to Brooklyn Nets