Holiday
57%

Total votes: 14

Papi_swav
General Manager
And1: 4,233

Re: Who'd You Rather? LeVert/Allen/PHI1st for... POLL 

Post#21 » by Papi_swav » Sun Aug 2, 2020 7:34 am

Porter would be perfect if he was healthy, but his injuries seem like they won't go away ever and I don't see him returning to his Wizards play days. I'll go with Holiday, I'd rather go after Lavine though if we're giving up good players.
DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Post#22 » by DarkXaero » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:12 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Oladipo is the clear answer out of these options.

Derozan, Porter and Holiday are not even "stars."

We have already seen Oladipo go toe to toe in a playoff series with LeBron for 7 games. And he fits great with Kyrie in the backcourt.

I would still rather just keep the team as is and pursue Ibaka though.
Yeah but that's assuming that Oladipo returns to that form. Oladipo has only really had one great season in his career. If you can get that version of him, then you 100% take it. But there's a solid chance that Oladipo will never revert back to that form. Dude has only had one season in his entire career where his TS% was above average. Every other season, his efficiency has been below average. You can point to his injury, but even before that injury, he was having a very mediocre season. It would be a huge gamble trading for Oladipo.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#23 » by Hello Brooklyn » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:38 pm

DarkXaero wrote:

We have already seen Oladipo go toe to toe in a playoff series with LeBron for 7 games. And he fits great with Kyrie in the backcourt.

Yeah but that's assuming that Oladipo returns to that form. Oladipo has only really had one great season in his career. If you can get that version of him, then you 100% take it. But there's a solid chance that Oladipo will never revert back to that form. Dude has only had one season in his entire career where his TS% was above average. Every other season, his efficiency has been below average. You can point to his injury, but even before that injury, he was having a very mediocre season. It would be a huge gamble trading for Oladipo.

Oladipo was also great and made the All Star team last year before getting injured. So it wasn't only one season.

But I share your concerns about his injury history. For me its more about him getting injured again then returning to form. Hes a hard enough worker and its a contract year for him next year. If he doesn't play at that level he won't get a max contract.

Still, this is why I've stated multiple times I would rather keep Levert and look for a stretch 4 like Ibaka.

Levert is good enough to be our third "star."
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#24 » by DarkXaero » Sun Aug 2, 2020 9:51 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:

Oladipo was also great and made the All Star team last year before getting injured. So it wasn't only one season.

But I share your concerns about his injury history. For me its more about him getting injured again then returning to form. Hes a hard enough worker and its a contract year for him next year. If he doesn't play at that level he won't get a max contract.

Still, this is why I've stated multiple times I would rather keep Levert and look for a stretch 4 like Ibaka.

Nah, he definitely wasn't great the season he got injured. He only got the all star nod because Pacers record was good, and he was the only recognizable star on that team. But his efficiency had already tanked before injury, his numbers were down in nearly every category.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,571

Post#25 » by MrDollarBills » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:44 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:Yeah but that's assuming that Oladipo returns to that form. Oladipo has only really had one great season in his career. If you can get that version of him, then you 100% take it. But there's a solid chance that Oladipo will never revert back to that form. Dude has only had one season in his entire career where his TS% was above average. Every other season, his efficiency has been below average. You can point to his injury, but even before that injury, he was having a very mediocre season. It would be a huge gamble trading for Oladipo.

Nah, he definitely wasn't great the season he got injured. He only got the all star nod because Pacers record was good, and he was the only recognizable star on that team. But his efficiency had already tanked before injury, his numbers were down in nearly every category.

D'Angelo Russell's numbers were better than Oladipo's at the time of his selection. That entire process was a sham.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#26 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:13 am

The only player on the market I would seriously want to trade LeVert/Allen/picks for is Beal.

But again I don't see why the Wizards would trade him. They have Wall coming back and Beal committed to resigning.

If I'm the Wizards and I'm already paying Wall, I'd rather just hold on to Beal and make a run at the playoffs.

Now if they start out terribly and things go bad quickly then maybe he demands out. But I think the Wizards will make the playoffs with Beal/Wall in a weak East.

I also think they will probably want a monster haul and can field better offers from teams like Miami or Golden State.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect
And1: 700

Post#27 » by ProspectPark » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:05 am

Hello Brooklyn wrote:The only player on the market I would seriously want to trade LeVert/Allen/picks for is Beal.

But again I don't see why the Wizards would trade him. They have Wall coming back and Beal committed to resigning.

If I'm the Wizards and I'm already paying Wall, I'd rather just hold on to Beal and make a run at the playoffs.

Now if they start out terribly and things go bad quickly then maybe he demands out. But I think the Wizards will make the playoffs with Beal/Wall in a weak East.

I also think they will probably want a monster haul and can field better offers from teams like Miami or Golden State.

I’d rather just keep our depth and keep everyone’s minutes down in the regular season. Trading for a 3rd star, would mean heavy minutes for KD and Kyrie.

When we have KD and Kyrie, we can handle LeVert’s inconsistencies. There won’t any pressure on him to bring it every night. If he’s off, it’s not going to cost us the game.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#28 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Aug 3, 2020 6:36 am

7footMONSTER wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:The only player on the market I would seriously want to trade LeVert/Allen/picks for is Beal.

I’d rather just keep our depth and keep everyone’s minutes down in the regular season. Trading for a 3rd star, would mean heavy minutes for KD and Kyrie.

When we have KD and Kyrie, we can handle LeVert’s inconsistencies. There won’t any pressure on him to bring it every night. If he’s off, it’s not going to cost us the game.

Yeah I mean thats why I said consider.

I'm not sure giving up all our assets for Beal makes sense either. Especially with injury prone players like KD and Kyrie.

My ideal scenario is to just acquire Aaron Gordon or Serge Ibaka and keep our key players.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#29 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:31 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:

How would our depth really suffer?

Jordan starts and you can get a solid backup center for less than the exception. Between Claxton and an exception singing, we are fine at center. Jordan has always been durable.

If you move levert, he would be replaced 1 to 1 with a better player (Beal, Holiday, whomever...). so you dont lose depth there.

The only depth you lose is dinwiddie. Who would be replaced by a combination of Tyler Johnson, Jamal Crawford and/or the mid level exception.

Going from levert to beal is an enormous upgrade. you can live with replacing spencer with Johnson/Crawford.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#30 » by ProspectPark » Mon Aug 3, 2020 5:12 pm

Prokorov wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Jordan starts and you can get a solid backup center for less than the exception. Between Claxton and an exception singing, we are fine at center. Jordan has always been durable.

If you move levert, he would be replaced 1 to 1 with a better player (Beal, Holiday, whomever...). so you dont lose depth there.

The only depth you lose is dinwiddie. Who would be replaced by a combination of Tyler Johnson, Jamal Crawford and/or the mid level exception.

Going from levert to beal is an enormous upgrade. you can live with replacing spencer with Johnson/Crawford.

Ok first off, J. Crossover will not be on the team after this season.

Second, when KD and Kyrie are going off, we need playmakers who can make pin point passes and get them the ball or take advantage of a 4 on 3 situation in the half court. I don’t really trust LaVine to do that. Beal is not happening. Jrue’s contract situation would add more uncertainty and stress during our championship window. We trade for Jrue and he walks in free agency would mean we lost LeVert for nothing.

I say let the team grow. Don’t chase stars like the Knicks and then have to blow it up every 2 years. The backup 4 market is weak. Even if we just get Jeff Green, our depth would be nice.

Kyrie / LeVert / Harris / KD / DJ
Dinwiddie / TJ / Prince / Green / Allen

Chiozza / TLC / Musa / Rodi / Claxton

That’s a solid 10 man rotation. Plus we have the Philly 1st and the MLE.

Also, even if LaVine or Beal became available, teams can do much better than our package. Dinwiddie isn’t young enough to build around and expiring. LeVert is injury prone and inconsistent. Allen is a rim running big who can’t shoot. No one is getting excited about that.
Godsplan
Freshman
And1: 71

Post#31 » by Godsplan » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:14 pm

I rather just let everything play out up until the next trade deadline. Let’s see how things go. With everyone healthy together. I think we are a deep roster. I do have a strange thought though, if KD can somehow convince Ibaka to take the MLE(this is a gmhuge stretch but stranger things have happened in 2020) we put him at the 4 and let KD stay at the 3 with DJ starting. We’d be a hell of a team
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#32 » by Prokorov » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:45 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:

Second, when KD and Kyrie are going off, we need playmakers who can make pin point passes and get them the ball or take advantage of a 4 on 3 situation in the half court. I don’t really trust LaVine to do that. Beal is not happening. Jrue’s contract situation would add more uncertainty and stress during our championship window. We trade for Jrue and he walks in free agency would mean we lost LeVert for nothing.

I say let the team grow. Don’t chase stars like the Knicks and then have to blow it up every 2 years. The backup 4 market is weak. Even if we just get Jeff Green, our depth would be nice.

Also, even if LaVine or Beal became available, teams can do much better than our package. Dinwiddie isn’t young enough to build around and expiring. LeVert is injury prone and inconsistent. Allen is a rim running big who can’t shoot. No one is getting excited about that.

Lavine is much better at evertything than levert. whatever KD/Kyrie need lavine provides more of it. off ball he is a better shooter. on ball a better scorer/passer.

"build" for what? we have a 2 year title window. save "building for when KD's prime is over.

Holiday isnt walking from a title contender at 30+ years old.

Losing levert for "nothing" is wrong. it would be losing levert for a 1 year rental of holiday. which i do 101 times out of 100.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#33 » by ProspectPark » Tue Aug 4, 2020 4:55 am

Prokorov wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Lavine is much better at evertything than levert. whatever KD/Kyrie need lavine provides more of it. off ball he is a better shooter. on ball a better scorer/passer.

"build" for what? we have a 2 year title window. save "building for when KD's prime is over.

Holiday isnt walking from a title contender at 30+ years old.

Losing levert for "nothing" is wrong. it would be losing levert for a 1 year rental of holiday. which i do 101 times out of 100.

LeVert is a better playmaker and has a higher ceiling defensively.

Team has good chemistry. They’ve battled through a lot of adversity this year. When Kyrie was being vilified, the team went out of their way to defend him. I know LeVert, Dinwiddie, Harris, Allen, Prince, and DJ are all team players who understand their role. I don’t want to bring in a wild card who may destroy the locker room.

We already have enough scoring (conservative estimates PPG):

KD - 23
Kyrie - 20
LeVert - 15
Dinwiddie - 13
Harris - 11
Prince - 10
DJ - 10
Allen - 8

That’s 110 points right there. LaVine or no LaVine, our offense will be fine. LeVert and Dinwiddie are better at throwing lobs, finding open shooters, and they already have a good relationship with KD and Kyrie. Allen is also extremely important to this team. The combination of DJ and Allen give us a solid 48 minutes of rim protection and rebounding. We will need this to get past the Bucks, 76ers, and Raptors.

The era of big 3’s is over. It’s all about dynamic duos with good depth now.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#34 » by Prokorov » Wed Aug 5, 2020 1:10 pm

7footMONSTER wrote:LeVert is a better playmaker and has a higher ceiling defensively.

I don't see how anyone who is being honest with themselves can claim either of these. especially the defensive ceiling. I dont know how you can say Caris defensive ceiling is higher when he has gotten worse on that end each year (while lavine has improved), Lavine is 10 times the athelete, younger, and already better on D and more versatile on D.

Team has good chemistry. They’ve battled through a lot of adversity this year. When Kyrie was being vilified, the team went out of their way to defend him. I know LeVert, Dinwiddie, Harris, Allen, Prince, and DJ are all team players who understand their role. I don’t want to bring in a wild card who may destroy the locker room.

The same locker room that was split, got their coach fired and was upset about roles? Next year is so different. Kyrie/KD back. We need chemistry with our stars. not with the role guys.

KD - 23
Kyrie - 20
LeVert - 15
Dinwiddie - 13
Harris - 11
Prince - 10
DJ - 10
Allen - 8

Levert wont score 15 next year. he barely scores 15 now as the #1 he wont do it off the bench as the 4th option. And Kyrie/KD will miss a ton of games. we need guys who can step in when they sit and be a star. levert has proven he cant do that as the leagues least efficient scorer and our awful record when he leads our team in FGA

That’s 110 points right there. LaVine or no LaVine, our offense will be fine. LeVert and Dinwiddie are better at throwing lobs, finding open shooters, and they already have a good relationship with KD and Kyrie. Allen is also extremely important to this team. The combination of DJ and Allen give us a solid 48 minutes of rim protection and rebounding. We will need this to get past the Bucks, 76ers, and Raptors.

we still have a ton of depth without those guys. and lavine is 10000 times better than levert. we would be much better.
ProspectPark
Pro Prospect

Post#35 » by ProspectPark » Wed Aug 5, 2020 5:41 pm

Prokorov wrote:
7footMONSTER wrote:LeVert is a better playmaker and has a higher ceiling defensively.

I don't see how anyone who is being honest with themselves can claim either of these. especially the defensive ceiling. I dont know how you can say Caris defensive ceiling is higher when he has gotten worse on that end each year (while lavine has improved), Lavine is 10 times the athelete, younger, and already better on D and more versatile on D.

The same locker room that was split, got their coach fired and was upset about roles? Next year is so different. Kyrie/KD back. We need chemistry with our stars. not with the role guys.

KD - 23
Kyrie - 20
LeVert - 15
Dinwiddie - 13
Harris - 11
Prince - 10
DJ - 10
Allen - 8

Levert wont score 15 next year. he barely scores 15 now as the #1 he wont do it off the bench as the 4th option. And Kyrie/KD will miss a ton of games. we need guys who can step in when they sit and be a star. levert has proven he cant do that as the leagues least efficient scorer and our awful record when he leads our team in FGA

we still have a ton of depth without those guys. and lavine is 10000 times better than levert. we would be much better.

Ok tell me what you think the most realistic trade proposal for LaVine would be.

Be honest tho, because you said LaVine is “10000 times better” than LeVert.

And what’s our depth chart after the trade.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

Post#36 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Aug 5, 2020 6:16 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:I would take Harris for Levert and Prince, but only if they included Thybulle as sweetener. I'm really not feeling Tobias' inefficient offense, mediocre defense and gargantuan contract.

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:A name I don't recall being brought up recently, who I can definitely see mutual interest in being moved is... Tobias Harris.

This is depending on how the playoffs go for Philly and his asset cost for us, but I could definitely see something like Dinwiddie/Prince/Rodi or Musa and a 1st or 2 with reasonable protections exchanged for him.
I ain't giving up Dinwiddie for Tobias Harris' terrible contract, let alone picks. We need to aim higher and think smarter.

We'd be paying Tobias max dollars to be a spot up shooter. I'll pass

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
vincecarter4pres wrote:A name I don't recall being brought up recently, who I can definitely see mutual interest in being moved is... Tobias Harris.

This is depending on how the playoffs go for Philly and his asset cost for us, but I could definitely see something like Dinwiddie/Prince/Rodi or Musa and a 1st or 2 with reasonable protections exchanged for him.

Are you serious?

Have you seen that contract?

Max money for a player who has never even made an All Star team.

I wouldn't go near that awful contract.

What Tobias makes doesn't concern me in the slightest. We already have KD and Kyrie taking up 2 max spots of our total team salary cap. Any player who is better than above-average would have us meet the salary cap, so the contract in itself doesn't worry me.

The only issue of concern is the fit of that 3rd player. In other words, whomever we trade CLV/Allen/PHI1st for ought to be the final piece of a genuine Big 3 nucleus.

The question is Tobias a good enough complementary piece to be a 3rd star, not how much money he makes.

On offense, we need as much spot-up shooting as we can afford considering the fact that we have two of the best elite creators in the league. On defense, we also need athleticism and length.

Tobias gives us spot up shooting and a little bit of offensive creativity, but is just meh on defense.

Considering that we'd be giving up an elite rim protector in Allen and a solid point forward who seems to be improving his 3pt shot in Levert, Tobias (or whichever player we decided to trade for) needs to be good enough to replace the impact of what we lost and then some.

So I would say no to the Harris trade, because I don't think his talent level/impact eclipses the combined talent level of Levert and Allen as much as other players do.

Now, if you told me that Harris would be the best player available to the Nets via trade over the next few seasons, I'd have to think much harder about it, since despite losing Allen and Levert, I think we could probably find some pretty agile defenders on the cheap (like what the Raptors have done), and the spacing Harris would get in Brooklyn compared to Philly should allow him to be more efficient on offense and possibly allow him to have more energy to a consistent, better defensive effort than he currently provides for PHI.
DarkXaero
RealGM

Post#37 » by DarkXaero » Wed Aug 5, 2020 6:31 pm

Normally, I don't care too much either about what a player makes, as long as they're good. But in this case, Tobias' ridiculous contract runs 5 years, and he'll be making near $40 mill in 2023-24 season, which is ridiculous. KD and Kyrie will likely be off the roster, and we'll still be stuck with Tobias Harris contract. He's an average efficiency scorer who doesn't excel at anything, and is generally subpar defensively despite his size.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM

Post#38 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Aug 6, 2020 2:34 am

NyCeEvO wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:I would take Harris for Levert and Prince, but only if they included Thybulle as sweetener. I'm really not feeling Tobias' inefficient offense, mediocre defense and gargantuan contract.

MrDollarBills wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:I ain't giving up Dinwiddie for Tobias Harris' terrible contract, let alone picks. We need to aim higher and think smarter.

We'd be paying Tobias max dollars to be a spot up shooter. I'll pass

Hello Brooklyn wrote:

Are you serious?

Have you seen that contract?

Max money for a player who has never even made an All Star team.

I wouldn't go near that awful contract.

What Tobias makes doesn't concern me in the slightest. We already have KD and Kyrie taking up 2 max spots of our total team salary cap. Any player who is better than above-average would have us meet the salary cap, so the contract in itself doesn't worry me.

The only issue of concern is the fit of that 3rd player. In other words, whomever we trade CLV/Allen/PHI1st for ought to be the final piece of a genuine Big 3 nucleus.

The question is Tobias a good enough complementary piece to be a 3rd star, not how much money he makes.

On offense, we need as much spot-up shooting as we can afford considering the fact that we have two of the best elite creators in the league. On defense, we also need athleticism and length.

Tobias gives us spot up shooting and a little bit of offensive creativity, but is just meh on defense.

Considering that we'd be giving up an elite rim protector in Allen and a solid point forward who seems to be improving his 3pt shot in Levert, Tobias (or whichever player we decided to trade for) needs to be good enough to replace the impact of what we lost and then some.

So I would say no to the Harris trade, because I don't think his talent level/impact eclipses the combined talent level of Levert and Allen as much as other players do.

Now, if you told me that Harris would be the best player available to the Nets via trade over the next few seasons, I'd have to think much harder about it, since despite losing Allen and Levert, I think we could probably find some pretty agile defenders on the cheap (like what the Raptors have done), and the spacing Harris would get in Brooklyn compared to Philly should allow him to be more efficient on offense and possibly allow him to have more energy to a consistent, better defensive effort than he currently provides for PHI.

I disagree. Having a huge immovable contract hampers out ability to make trades and resign our current players.

Even if we just eat the contract it might come at the cost of not resigning Harris or Dinwiddie in the future.

We may not care about things like the luxury tax. But every owner has a limit on how much they want to spend.

It also stops us from making a better trade when the next all star becomes unhappy and wants to come to Brooklyn.

Harris has not been very good in his stint with Philadelphia and LAC was just as good if not better without him last year.

I'm generally opposed to having bad contracts on the roster. We already have one bad contract with Deandre Jordan. I don't want another one.
vincecarter4pres
RealGM
And1: 3,433

Post#39 » by vincecarter4pres » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:27 am

How about this one?

Dinwiddie/Prince/Rodi or Musa/76ers pick/‘21 BK 1st

For

Otto Porter/Chicago ‘20 1st
Rich Rane wrote:I think we're all missing the point here. vc4pres needs to stop watching games.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#40 » by kamaze » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:18 am

Out of the players listed I voted for DeRozan but they need a power forward and better defense more than they need an upgrade on LeVert/Harris.

They can add Dario Saric I think he's a free agent.
As far as adding defensive players that's the GM's job but he doesn't seem to value tough defensive players. He had Shump who brought championship experience and defense to the team and chose to keep Pinson...
A change needs to be made Vaughn's philosophies don't cut it I'm all in on hiring Ty Lou. Maybe get a new GM as well.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton

Return to Brooklyn Nets