ImageImageImageImageImage

***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach*****

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Godsplan
Freshman
Posts: 80
And1: 71
Joined: Aug 03, 2020

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#41 » by Godsplan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:59 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=21
Read on Twitter
?s=21
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#42 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:20 pm

Read on Twitter


No more respect for SAS for me and it wasn’t like I had much of it either. He’s a classic example of the type of black men I despise in our communities: The old head Coon. Stephen Uncle Ruckus.

1. You went at Kyrie for wanting to boycott the season and called the man out of his name for speaking up on black injustice issues.

2. Nets are white privileged for not hiring guys who ESPN would laugh at us for hiring...”You should’ve hired Vaughn because he’s black!!!”

3. Nets hire Vaughn as HC - SAS be like: “How can you hire a guy who allowed 100 bench points and 150 points to the same Torontoooo Raptors about to be swept! How!”


Clown ass negro who still had nothing to say when the Knicks hired Thibs and put former HV Woodson as assistant who helped lead the Knicks to their best run in 20 years.
User avatar
Stone
Starter
Posts: 2,117
And1: 346
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Picking dimes up off the floor
 

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#43 » by Stone » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:27 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.


Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#44 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:54 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.


Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?

Yes.

He was in over his head and has shown while calling games he is still a dinosaur of a mind. He was a figurehead in Golden State who couldn’t draw his own plays, so he hired Mike Malone (DEN) as his lead assistant, found ways to alienate his coaching staff, players and the staff employees.

Jason Kidd’s embarrassing power move on Prokhrhov got him nothing but a one way ticket to being unemployed indefinitely after getting exposed with Giannis, Middleton not developing. He was forcefully hired by GM LeBron for the Lakers bench. Same with Lionel Hollins.

Steve Kerr has Mike Brown currently as his lead assistant after how many jobs with LeBron in Cleveland, LAL, etc?
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,530
And1: 1,515
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#45 » by MGrand15 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 4:57 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.


Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?


Man, Mark Jackson has a laundry list of "mistakes" that include being homophobic, alienating his team from front office + ownership (one of the best in the league), pushing away his own assistant coaches, pitting teammates against each other, forcing his religion on players, kicking JERRY WEST out of practice. The Warriors had the same exact core as they did with Kerr and they were the 12th best offense in the league.

And yes, you should absolutely be excluded from being a coach in New York if you don't think gay people belong on your team.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#46 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:08 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.


Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?


Man, Mark Jackson has a laundry list of "mistakes" that include being homophobic, alienating his team from front office + ownership (one of the best in the league), pushing away his own assistant coaches, pitting teammates against each other, forcing his religion on players, kicking JERRY WEST out of practice. The Warriors had the same exact core as they did with Kerr and they were the 12th best offense in the league.

And yes, you should absolutely be excluded from being a coach in New York if you don't think gay people belong on your team.

His LEAD assistant in GS is currently coaching the Nuggets and he’s watching from the sidelines with no other opportunities. What does that say?

You made your backup center cry in front his entire teammates. You are coaching a group of young players. Who does that?

They also continued to flourish with Luke Walton over Kerr when he was hurt which is what got him that Sacramento job and look how that’s turning out for Luke.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,530
And1: 1,515
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#47 » by MGrand15 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:21 pm

I'm not surprised the race discussion is happening but I wish it wasn't being thrown out there by people who have no idea what they're talking about.

Mark Jackson got the Warriors job with no experience. Derek Fisher got the Knicks job as soon as he retired. This happens.
gambakupu
Ballboy
Posts: 25
And1: 10
Joined: Jul 18, 2017
 

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#48 » by gambakupu » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:49 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?s=20


MAY!!!!!!!!!??? :o :o :o

Marks runs a tight ship. I like it


I'm done listening to rumors about the Nets
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,682
And1: 75
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#49 » by Sharcm1 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:54 pm

I don’t like this move. I don’t think hiring a coach with zero experience actually coaching was a good idea. I do not understand why they pursued him so much. Am I the only one who is disappointed with this completely. I really thought we had a chance at Pop. I hope this was because we couldn’t get him and not that we didn’t even try. This team needs a Pop type coach. A guy to coach the players and keep them together. A guy to make them play defense. Idk what this is.

I disagree with Steven A Smith on the race thing. Many coaches don’t get opportunities they deserve in the league black or white. I agree with him on this. Nash shouldn’t have been able to get this coaching job. His first coaching job should have been the knicks or something. A bad young team in need of development. A guy who can mold the players and help them learn. No one is molding Irving and Durant. We needed someone to mesh them into the team. I don’t think that Nash is that person. We needed an experienced head coach.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#50 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:00 pm

Steve Nash tried to recruit Dirk as an assistant coach?

Read on Twitter
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,037
And1: 374
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#51 » by gigantes » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:01 pm

I agree that the lack of prior coaching experience is a big concern. Because you can be the most talented future coach in the world, but IMO it's going to take you time to fully translate your philosophy, personality & effectiveness to the head coach's seat. I recall Kenny talking about how it took him a couple years to do that, and he'd already been lead asst in Atlanta for a few years.

Besides retaining Vaughn (*phew* lordy that would have sucked if it was either / or), the Nets at least have a more open-ended future due to not having had to trade a million assets for KD & Kyrie. So even if this doesn't work out as quickly and as well as people hope, the Nets still have an encouraging future IMO.

Apart from all that, my biggest (probably irrational) concern is that Nash is too friendly and easy-going, and that players may not fully respect him on certain levels. Still, this Nets org is probably better-built in terms of professionalism and personality than most other teams, so Nash being a 'softy' probably isn't that much of an issue here. Which is all just dumbass fan speculation, anyway... :P
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
Posts: 34,977
And1: 8,959
Joined: Aug 16, 2012
Location: NYC
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#52 » by Paradise » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:09 pm

Here we go.


Read on Twitter



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Papi_swav
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,782
And1: 2,312
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#53 » by Papi_swav » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:11 pm

Wow this is a balsy move ! I trust Marks wholeheartedly so I guess I'm ok with this. Was never a fan of Lue or Kidd . I have no worries about Nash and the teams offensive abilities , I just wonder how well we'll do on the defensive side. I'm glad we kept Vaughn, he earned it to stay. I would of gave Nash a 2 yr deal first.
User avatar
3pt_chucker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,222
And1: 702
Joined: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Practicing my 3's
       

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#54 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:11 pm

Total surprise that Nash was the hire but reading more about the details of the hire, I like it!

We knew that the hire needed to command the respect of KD and Kyrie, and we know at the very least KD loves him. Add to that(in no order of importance) the connections with Sean, members of the coaching staff, familiarity with Caris, he spends time in NYC/Brooklyn, genius/HOF PG, intelligent, great communicator, BLM advocate, spent time with great organizations/innovative team systems... he checks a LOT of boxes.

The biggest downside is the lack of experience as a coach beyond player development/consultant but given that we kept JC and we have tons of experience on the coaching staff and good mix of vets...I actually feel really comfortable about this.

Obviously there will/might be a learning curve and there might be rough patches but I think things will be ok and feel miles better about him than the dreaded Ty Lue, Mark Jackson hires which in all honesty was puke inducing.
Yearning for more 3's
User avatar
gigantes
Rookie
Posts: 1,037
And1: 374
Joined: Dec 11, 2008
 

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#55 » by gigantes » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:12 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:...I really thought we had a chance at Pop. I hope this was because we couldn’t get him and not that we didn’t even try. This team needs a Pop type coach. A guy to coach the players and keep them together. A guy to make them play defense. Idk what this is....

Pop coming to BRK never made much sense to me. It all seemed like stuff to push clicks & copy, especially the louder and more persistent the 'rumors' got.

Why would a guy past retirement age already, with roots that deep to his team and community, move across country to start all over again with a new team? If I'm him, I'm looking to enjoy life and enjoy teaching a bit more before savoring a long series of vacations, down time and fun activities in his final years. Plus, isn't he already committed to coach next year's USA team?

The whole thing just seemed like a fantasy, and I think even Marks tweeted the other day that it was a fun idea but unlikely to really happen.
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 24,668
And1: 10,828
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#56 » by therealbig3 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:13 pm

I love Nash, I’m excited for the move. Nobody knows how it will work, but I have a good feeling about this. Time will tell.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#57 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:14 pm

Stone wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Read on Twitter


It amazes me when Stephen A wants to pull this stuff out of his ass.

Mark Jackson got himself black balled by his behavior in Golden State. His race is not the reason why he isn't getting jobs, it's because he's a homophobic ass hole.


Whether you agree or disagree with Steven A, I give him credit for having the balls to start the conversation. I'm sure he knew he was going to catch flak but he said it anyway.

I just want to touch on Mark Jackson and our Brooklyn Nets culture also. Is this who we are? Are we the culture that says if you make a mistake or have a belief we disagree with we will exclude you?


I don't have an issue with Stephen A pointing out the disparity in hirings. I think it kind of sucks that the Nets really didn't give Vaughn a chance to earn the job. However, this hiring is being done with the blessing of Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving....this isn't a racial discrimination issue, this is who the team from ownership, the GM, and the franchise players, wanted.

What I do have an issue with is people trying to force feed a job to Mark Jackson. Especially the Nets job.

He hasn't shown any remorse for his homophobia, and that is one part of the issue. Compare this to Tim Hardaway Sr., who many years ago when former Orlando Magic center John Amechi came out of the closet. Since then, he has publicly apologized for his behavior and has actually become an ally to the LGBTQ community.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2019/03/28/tim-hardaway-says-past-comments-about-gay-people-are-keeping-him-out-hall-fame/

“I opened my eyes and went to counseling,” he told the El Paso Times then, and Hardaway followed it up in 2013 by becoming the first to add his name to a petition demanding that Florida legalize same-sex marriage. Shortly before doing that, he made a point of calling Jason Collins with a message of support after the latter came out as the first openly gay active male player in major U.S. professional sports.

Collins told The Washington Post in 2017 that while he was surprised to be contacted by the likes of then-president Barack Obama and Oprah Winfrey after coming out, “Getting a call from Tim Hardaway is right up there, because I didn’t know he had changed as a human being, as far as being what happened with his comments when John came out, and now becoming an ally.”

“I’ve turned a wrong into a right,” Hardaway said in the HoopsHype interview. “I’m trying to do what’s right, supporting gay people and transgender people. I want people to understand [what they go through] and understand them as people.”

“Life is too short to be out here hating one another and trying to hurt one another. I understand that,” he added.


and yet, Tim is still being held out of the Hall of Fame because of it, and he publicly stated that he accepts it. I hope he gets in because he actually realized he was hurting people and changed his behavior.

The Nets are an inclusive organization. There is a large LGBTQ community in Brooklyn. It's bad optics hiring a bigot like Mark Jackson. This isn't a mere disagreement on beliefs, this is about discrimination against other human beings. That's a non starter.

Also, I implore you to do the research on what kind of madhouse Jackson was operating when he was the coach of Golden State. There is a reason why no one is calling for him. He's an ass hole, and kind of nutty to boot.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
3pt_chucker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,222
And1: 702
Joined: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Practicing my 3's
       

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#58 » by 3pt_chucker » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:16 pm

Just saw that Marks joined Woj on his podcast. Will give it a listen.
Yearning for more 3's
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#59 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:16 pm

gigantes wrote:I agree that the lack of prior coaching experience is a big concern. Because you can be the most talented future coach in the world, but IMO it's going to take you time to fully translate your philosophy, personality & effectiveness to the head coach's seat. I recall Kenny talking about how it took him a couple years to do that, and he'd already been lead asst in Atlanta for a few years.

Besides retaining Vaughn (*phew* lordy that would have sucked if it was either / or), the Nets at least have a more open-ended future due to not having had to trade a million assets for KD & Kyrie. So even if this doesn't work out as quickly and as well as people hope, the Nets still have an encouraging future IMO.

Apart from all that, my biggest (probably irrational) concern is that Nash is too friendly and easy-going, and that players may not fully respect him on certain levels. Still, this Nets org is probably better-built in terms of professionalism and personality than most other teams, so Nash being a 'softy' probably isn't that much of an issue here. Which is all just dumbass fan speculation, anyway... :P


Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving respect him. The rest will either fall in line, or will be dealt with.
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 34,272
And1: 12,867
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: ***BREAKING: Nets Hire Steve Nash as Head Coach***** 

Post#60 » by MrDollarBills » Thu Sep 3, 2020 6:19 pm

Paradise wrote:Steve Nash tried to recruit Dirk as an assistant coach?

Read on Twitter


Goddamn imagine having Dirk being in some of these young players' ears giving them tutelage? Like Nic Claxton especially who seems to be more of a 4 than a 5? whew :oops: :oops:
Wear your insides...on the outside,
Show your enemy...what you look like

Return to Brooklyn Nets