ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,750
And1: 1,679
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#261 » by MGrand15 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 7:15 am

I really don't care much about spacing with KD + Kyrie on the floor to start games. We can adjust if necessary with Joe Harris or TLC. KD + Ky are elite shooters. They also command doubles and score from everywhere. That's all the spacing you need.

I really liked Brown's playmaking and effort this game. He works in the Dinwiddie role. Green has just been super solid all year. If we start him and KD together, I wouldn't be mad at all. He's already earned my trust.
User avatar
StepBackCrack
Starter
Posts: 2,358
And1: 3,029
Joined: Jul 11, 2016
 

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#262 » by StepBackCrack » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:56 am

Finally Nash started Allen! Was about time. This is what I'm talking about! Allen and Brown were great. Kyrie was MVP obviously. But the fit of Kyrie and Brown looks super good and honestly, I would be quite tempted to try starting Brown with him and see if they can continue playing this well together. It seems like a perfect fit.

This is my ideal starting line-up for now. Would at least try it if I were Nash and see how it goes.

Kyrie
Brown
KD
Green
Allen

I still stand by the idea that KD at the 3 is the best KD. That's his original position. I've watched him almost his whole career. He should only play the 4 occasionally imo. Also maybe try Harris as a sub perhaps (unless spacing becomes a big issue which I doubt tbh). Defensively and IQ-wise this line-up is the best by far imo. Also Levert would have better options to pass the ball to with Harris out there in the 2nd unit.

This line-up below can be awesome too but I just prefer the above line-up more due to the big defensive/rebounding potential and KD at the 3 is extremely deadly.

Kyrie
Brown
Harris
KD
Allen

One thing for sure tho: Allen MUST start from now on. There is no debate about this imo. We have been saying this from the very start. He has so much more potential.
Khashbaatar
Sophomore
Posts: 218
And1: 99
Joined: Jul 07, 2019
 

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#263 » by Khashbaatar » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:18 am

Instant chemistry between Kyrie and Bruce Brown was very telling as to how much work the guys put in.
Reminds me of Usain Bolt's quote "Work is behind the scene. Competition is the easy part ".
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#264 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:38 am

MGrand15 wrote:I really don't care much about spacing with KD + Kyrie on the floor to start games. We can adjust if necessary with Joe Harris or TLC. KD + Ky are elite shooters. They also command doubles and score from everywhere. That's all the spacing you need.

I really liked Brown's playmaking and effort this game. He works in the Dinwiddie role. Green has just been super solid all year. If we start him and KD together, I wouldn't be mad at all. He's already earned my trust.


Agreed about Green. If he starts at PF I have no issues, he is a sturdy veteran
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#265 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 10:40 am

StepBackCrack wrote:Finally Nash started Allen! Was about time. This is what I'm talking about! Allen and Brown were great. Kyrie was MVP obviously. But the fit of Kyrie and Brown looks super good and honestly, I would be quite tempted to try starting Brown with him and see if they can continue playing this well together. It seems like a perfect fit.

This is my ideal starting line-up for now. Would at least try it if I were Nash and see how it goes.

Kyrie
Brown
KD
Green
Allen

I still stand by the idea that KD at the 3 is the best KD. That's his original position. I've watched him almost his whole career. He should only play the 4 occasionally imo. Also maybe try Harris as a sub perhaps (unless spacing becomes a big issue which I doubt tbh). Defensively and IQ-wise this line-up is the best by far imo. Also Levert would have better options to pass the ball to with Harris out there in the 2nd unit.

This line-up below can be awesome too but I just prefer the above line-up more due to the big defensive/rebounding potential and KD at the 3 is extremely deadly.

Kyrie
Brown
Harris
KD
Allen

One thing for sure tho: Allen MUST start from now on. There is no debate about this imo. We have been saying this from the very start. He has so much more potential.


I agree with you, I would not be upset if Nash goes to the bigger line up to help with our rebounding issues
User avatar
Stone
Starter
Posts: 2,231
And1: 431
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Jersey
 

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#266 » by Stone » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:10 pm

Quick takeaways....

Nash changed things up and we were no longer the predictable team that substituted players like clockwork. There was no way for the Jazz to scout what we threw at them last night. Hats off to him and the coaching staff.

Kyrie was on fire, he took the leadership role to the next level. He set the tone and everyone else followed.

Big Jay had one of his top five NBA games last night. He should be starting and playing 30+ minutes. Even though his numbers were outstanding it the intangibles that also have a big impact.

Caris started out slow and then turned the corner and you could just see from his body language his balance and footwork that he was not forcing it.

Bruce Brown another unsung hero. Like MDB said if he can us that kind of production he will be a major asset.

Our defense was the difference maker. If you have the team rebound mentality good things happen. I like having Green and Brown in there giving Jay the backup we need underneath. We have seen opponents drive, get challenged by Jay and just pass to someone for an easy look. We are not going to stop everything but lets make sure we make our opponents work for it.

pet peeve of the night for me, was the play where we had 3.3 seconds and we inbounded the ball to Jay and he was open from 15 feet. I was shouting SHOOT, instead he passed to Joe who tried to go baseline and gave it up. Jay should be taking those shots, maybe not every time but when you're up what's the point in passing it to someone else who is going to be forced into taking a low percentage shot?
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#267 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:46 pm

Stone wrote:Quick takeaways....

Nash changed things up and we were no longer the predictable team that substituted players like clockwork. There was no way for the Jazz to scout what we threw at them last night. Hats off to him and the coaching staff.

Kyrie was on fire, he took the leadership role to the next level. He set the tone and everyone else followed.

Big Jay had one of his top five NBA games last night. He should be starting and playing 30+ minutes. Even though his numbers were outstanding it the intangibles that also have a big impact.

Caris started out slow and then turned the corner and you could just see from his body language his balance and footwork that he was not forcing it.

Bruce Brown another unsung hero. Like MDB said if he can us that kind of production he will be a major asset.

Our defense was the difference maker. If you have the team rebound mentality good things happen. I like having Green and Brown in there giving Jay the backup we need underneath. We have seen opponents drive, get challenged by Jay and just pass to someone for an easy look. We are not going to stop everything but lets make sure we make our opponents work for it.

pet peeve of the night for me, was the play where we had 3.3 seconds and we inbounded the ball to Jay and he was open from 15 feet. I was shouting SHOOT, instead he passed to Joe who tried to go baseline and gave it up. Jay should be taking those shots, maybe not every time but when you're up what's the point in passing it to someone else who is going to be forced into taking a low percentage shot?


Kyrie and KD need to get on Jarrett about that. If you're within 12 feet-15 feet and your man is slacking off, take the jumper.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 35,681
And1: 13,668
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#268 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 6, 2021 2:49 pm

So I'm thinking:

Kyrie/Brown/Harris/KD/Allen. As much as I want Green in there for size, we are still going to need to have another shooter out there with 7-11. Harris will need to man up and start rebounding more.

Johnson/TLC/LeVert/Prince/Green as the next set, with Jordan playing spot mins to give Allen rest. Allen should be clocking in 32 minutes minimum. I think Jordan has successfully played himself into a towel waver role because we should be able to go small in the 2nd unit most nights and have Green at the 5.
User avatar
Stone
Starter
Posts: 2,231
And1: 431
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Jersey
 

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#269 » by Stone » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:22 pm

I could definitely live with Ky/ Brown/ Harris/ KD and Jay. But I still believe with the depth we have, we should change it from time to time. For the next three games with KD out, it is a good time to experiment.

Also like to see Tyler Johnson get more minutes if possible.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#270 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:46 pm

Papi_swav wrote:
Prokorov wrote:This was a great game and great response by the team. Was really suprised Nash changed it up so much, but with KD out i guess that is a good opportunity to play with things.

-Allen finally played like the Allen we saw in the bubble and did so vs. a tough matchup. Glad to see him start to win that starting spot. needs to keep it up.

-Levert another guy who finally played like he was in the bubble. hopefully a turning point for both of those guys.

-Love the dynamic of brown/green defensively. i worry how it looks in a small sample. Brown/Green/Allen next to Kyrie/KD isnt much spacing. One can start, i dont think both can. but i wouldnt be against more brown until someone decides to step up and take it from him

-Kyrie continues to play like an MVP. the offense was obviously super elite, but defensively again he continued to shine. steals, deflections, rebounds, running the floor, high iq play. he really stepped up with KD out and reminded everyone he was still the best player on the floor. 29 points so easily in 3 quarters without breaking a sweat.

-Mitchel is such a chucker and he does so much flopping and throwing his head back like a chicken. 0 respect for that guys game.

-We were up big early and never looked back. interested to see how these lineups and players look in a closer game and when they cant rely on Kyrie to shoot 80% from the field and need to contribute. good test coming up with philly and a back 2 back vs. memphis.

back to .500. next 3 games are all very winnable if Allen/Levert play like the bubble versions and our role players dont go back to shooting 0-100 form three

Just admit you were wrong. I told you Nash needed to open up his rotations and give other guys some minutes so we can ignite some energy into the team, and your response was very teenager like. Calling Brown and Tyler Johnson d leaguers but now you changed your tone lol classic Prok


1) i never called brown or tyler johnosn D-leaguers. I called Perry and Chiozza d-leaguers. People were calling for them after allen/DJ/levert had awful games. I've been a big johnson fan. I like brown too, i just didnt think he would play much.

2) I think the move by Nash had alot to do with KD being out. I dont think he would have swapped 3 starters otherwise. Maybe brown would have taken TLC's spot, which id be fine with. Since TLC hasnt really grabbed the reigns.

3) I'ce said the entire time i want allen to start. my point was always he has yet to really earn it with his play. DJ has been poor, allen has more talent.... but he simply hadnt outplayed (or overwhemlingly so (through 7 games). If the allen who showed up in the bubble (the 14/10/2 guy) then he would have had the job by the end of the first week. but he didnt do that. Everyone keeps making it out like KD/Kyrie were the only reason allen didnt start. and while they may prefer him thats simply not the whole truth. Last year allen lost his starting spot and DJ outplayed him to earn it. Allen wasnt the bubble allen to start the year.

Like the memphis game, this was a great opporuntity for role guys to be foreced into bigger roles and to step up. Nash certainly shook things up quite a bit. i dont know if that happens if KD plays. in either even, lets not make it out like Reggie perry and chiozza were playing real minutes. or that we made some panic trade. Hell if DJ isnt in foul trouble he probably still gets 22ish minutes.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#271 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:50 pm

NetsJets wrote:Bruce Brown gave this team what it needed. He was a welcomed addition to the rotation. His defense and grittiness and toughness was something we lacked.

Good to see Allen back in the starting lineup where he belongs. And he outplayed Gobert too. Hopefully he keeps playing like that.

Nice to see Levert have himself a good game. We just need to figure a way for him to be that effective with KD and Kyrie.


I dont think KD/Kyrie has an effect on leverts effectiveness (maybe mentally?) Because he has been just as bad when those guys are not on the floor and he had a bad shooting night vs memphis when they both sat. but maybe its mental.

In either event we have been waiting 4+ years for levert to show health and consistency. hopefully this is a jumping off point.

Allen was the bubble allen. we need that guy every night. He ate Gobert's lunch.

Trying not to get too high after just 1 game. Kyrie basically gave them a first round TKO. I think a bigger test will be a game that is clsoe or we are behind early. When Kyrie isnt looking like peak kobe and the other guys need to make shots to keep us in it instead of it being low pressure
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#272 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:53 pm

MGrand15 wrote:I really don't care much about spacing with KD + Kyrie on the floor to start games. We can adjust if necessary with Joe Harris or TLC. KD + Ky are elite shooters. They also command doubles and score from everywhere. That's all the spacing you need.

I really liked Brown's playmaking and effort this game. He works in the Dinwiddie role. Green has just been super solid all year. If we start him and KD together, I wouldn't be mad at all. He's already earned my trust.


Yeah i like brown alot. not just the D but he adds athleticism that our other SGs just dont have. I like green alot too. i dont know about both of them plus allen. maybe both with green at the 5 and Harris/Shamet. i mean it could work but smart teams will force allen and brown to be jump shooters and green to create offense on the backdown or dribble.

but as mentioned, its easy to just sub and adjust on the fly to that.

TLC didnt get a ton of time to prove himself as a starter, but he didnt really go out and gran the opprotunity either
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#273 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:56 pm

StepBackCrack wrote:Finally Nash started Allen! Was about time. This is what I'm talking about! Allen and Brown were great. Kyrie was MVP obviously. But the fit of Kyrie and Brown looks super good and honestly, I would be quite tempted to try starting Brown with him and see if they can continue playing this well together. It seems like a perfect fit.

This is my ideal starting line-up for now. Would at least try it if I were Nash and see how it goes.

Kyrie
Brown
KD
Green
Allen

I still stand by the idea that KD at the 3 is the best KD. That's his original position. I've watched him almost his whole career. He should only play the 4 occasionally imo. Also maybe try Harris as a sub perhaps (unless spacing becomes a big issue which I doubt tbh). Defensively and IQ-wise this line-up is the best by far imo. Also Levert would have better options to pass the ball to with Harris out there in the 2nd unit.

This line-up below can be awesome too but I just prefer the above line-up more due to the big defensive/rebounding potential and KD at the 3 is extremely deadly.

Kyrie
Brown
Harris
KD
Allen

One thing for sure tho: Allen MUST start from now on. There is no debate about this imo. We have been saying this from the very start. He has so much more potential.


There is really no such thing as KD at the 3 or 4. He is going to play the same offensively and teams are still going to guard him with a 4 and put their 3 on green. or put whomever their best 6'7"+ defender happens to be on him and the other guy on green.

Defensively you can put green on their 4, although i dont think he is a better rebounder or defender then KD. maybe it put smore overall size on the floor, but i think that its less value with that then it is value with a shooter on the floor.

I think Prince/KD probably works better. Prince with green did ok. prince with KD would likely be alot better since KD > Green as a defender and rebounder.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 36,566
And1: 12,085
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#274 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 6, 2021 3:57 pm

Stone wrote:Quick takeaways....

Nash changed things up and we were no longer the predictable team that substituted players like clockwork. There was no way for the Jazz to scout what we threw at them last night. Hats off to him and the coaching staff.

Kyrie was on fire, he took the leadership role to the next level. He set the tone and everyone else followed.

Big Jay had one of his top five NBA games last night. He should be starting and playing 30+ minutes. Even though his numbers were outstanding it the intangibles that also have a big impact.

Caris started out slow and then turned the corner and you could just see from his body language his balance and footwork that he was not forcing it.

Bruce Brown another unsung hero. Like MDB said if he can us that kind of production he will be a major asset.

Our defense was the difference maker. If you have the team rebound mentality good things happen. I like having Green and Brown in there giving Jay the backup we need underneath. We have seen opponents drive, get challenged by Jay and just pass to someone for an easy look. We are not going to stop everything but lets make sure we make our opponents work for it.

pet peeve of the night for me, was the play where we had 3.3 seconds and we inbounded the ball to Jay and he was open from 15 feet. I was shouting SHOOT, instead he passed to Joe who tried to go baseline and gave it up. Jay should be taking those shots, maybe not every time but when you're up what's the point in passing it to someone else who is going to be forced into taking a low percentage shot?


Allen taking a 15 footer is a low percentage shot. id rather joe force it and allen crash the glass. if you want allen to start taking threes, lets try it. i dont need him trying to be Kyrie or kd
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
Posts: 12,980
And1: 1,515
Joined: Mar 15, 2012
         

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#275 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 6, 2021 5:33 pm

TJ needs to play point along with Caris... it'll be much better for both 2nd unit and Caris
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 8,433
And1: 6,255
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#276 » by Hello Brooklyn » Wed Jan 6, 2021 8:36 pm

Excellent win.

I never understood why Bruce Brown wasn't playing when we desperately needed defense.

I think he needs to start from now on. KD/Kyrie/Harris are all elite shooters so defense is a much larger concern for me than spacing right now.

And its not like Dinwiddie was a better shooter than Brown anyway. He was awful in his few games from 3.

Allen has also earned his starting spot and I hope he keeps this up.

I'm hoping we can go Kyrie/Brown/Harris/KD/Allen

I also want to see more of Johnson off the bench. If Shamet can't shoot hes basically useless out there anyway.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
OneZilion
Ballboy
Posts: 19
And1: 20
Joined: Dec 06, 2020
         

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#277 » by OneZilion » Wed Jan 6, 2021 11:15 pm

I do really like Brown, was wanting him from fhe start of season especially after Din injury... he brings that DOG mentality that this team needa most, he brings man who will leave his heart on the floor every night and know his role, dont try to do much more... percect combination with Irving at backcourt

JA is a grown Man! Maybe we have a third star in making... That was nasty last night againts Gober

Levert finnaly looks like himself we need that boy. I think that he needs more Harris in second unit than KD&KY needs him start... I see closing lineup in the close games and playoffs KY Levert Harris KD Allen and that is the best five we have, but starting for me with KY Brown Prince KD Allen is perfect combination

I see Prince as second Hustle man next to KD in starting lineup who can hit open 3’s and defend... I think that KD is in todays NBA more of 4 than a 3... Green in second unit is ok... Also I like minutes for Tyler...

That was a great game... Kyries talent is off charts that is unreal...

KD not playing is maybe the best thing that could have happen. Nash and stuff has a chance to try more options, to see who deserve minutes more and who is capable of doing good things for team... when you have KD everyone little stand aside watching him operate... of course if want nba tittle it will come down to KD, but the way is long to there and we need to find out asnwers on many questions about rotations rebouinding issues and other problems that this team has...
NetsJets
Pro Prospect
Posts: 812
And1: 146
Joined: Oct 27, 2015
   

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#278 » by NetsJets » Thu Jan 7, 2021 3:57 pm

Prokorov wrote:
NetsJets wrote:Bruce Brown gave this team what it needed. He was a welcomed addition to the rotation. His defense and grittiness and toughness was something we lacked.

Good to see Allen back in the starting lineup where he belongs. And he outplayed Gobert too. Hopefully he keeps playing like that.

Nice to see Levert have himself a good game. We just need to figure a way for him to be that effective with KD and Kyrie.


I dont think KD/Kyrie has an effect on leverts effectiveness (maybe mentally?) Because he has been just as bad when those guys are not on the floor and he had a bad shooting night vs memphis when they both sat. but maybe its mental.

In either event we have been waiting 4+ years for levert to show health and consistency. hopefully this is a jumping off point.

Allen was the bubble allen. we need that guy every night. He ate Gobert's lunch.

Trying not to get too high after just 1 game. Kyrie basically gave them a first round TKO. I think a bigger test will be a game that is clsoe or we are behind early. When Kyrie isnt looking like peak kobe and the other guys need to make shots to keep us in it instead of it being low pressure

KD not playing gave him a few extra shots that he normally wouldn’t get.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
Posts: 4,750
And1: 1,679
Joined: Nov 17, 2009

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#279 » by MGrand15 » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:21 pm

I've never really bought the idea that LeVert needs high usage or a ton of shots to be effective. When he hits these ugly slumps, they're happening whether he's off ball, lead ball handler, taking 2 shots or taking 15. Like the 1st 5 games or whatever, he was throwing up straight bricks. Bunch of air balls mixed in there. That has nothing to do with lineups or role or whatever.

I think it's all about finding the balance between aggression and playmaking / making the right play. He's at a career low in FTA. That includes his rookie year. That should say it all about his shot selection. Hopefully the Jazz game is a turning point in scoring because I do think his playmaking has been GOOD and not just a product of usage. And this switching scheme plays to his strengths a lot more defensively.
User avatar
Claud
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,738
And1: 642
Joined: May 16, 2015
Location: Austin, TX
   

Re: GT: Utah Jazz vs Nets - Tues, 1/5/21 | 7:30pm | YES 

Post#280 » by Claud » Thu Jan 7, 2021 5:22 pm

SUPER HAPPY we won on my birthday! I was certainly not expecting it but it was a wonderful gift!

The one thing I like so far about Nash is that he isn't afraid to switch things quickly. I'm still skeptical but I see improvements already.

Green, Allen and Brown are all + defenders so it isn't so surprising we were a lot better on that end. I hope Nash remembers this experiment.

JA absolutely DESTROYED Gobert. Ky was fantastic and Caris finally had an efficient game. I hope this trends continues vs. Philly.

I can see Kyrie/Brown/KD/Green/Fro starting lineup as one we might want to try.

Maybe replace Green with Harris also to see which one works better.

At this point of the season it's all about finding the correct scheme/rotations to maximize our top 8-9 players going into the playoffs.

Losing Spencer sucks but I'm still hopeful this will be a special season.

Return to Brooklyn Nets