"The King of Brooklyn": Nets Board 2020-21 Voting thread

Moderators: Rich Rane, NyCeEvO

NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets
And1: 6,082

"The King of Brooklyn": Nets Board 2020-21 Voting thread 

Post#1 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51 pm

As a way to usher in a new era of Nets basketball and pay homage to the borough of Brooklyn (also known as Kings County) the Nets board is starting a new activity called "The King of Brooklyn".

What is "The King of Brooklyn"?
After each Nets win, Nets forum participants can vote for ('give a crown to') their most valuable Net player as "The King" of the game.

Continuing in the spirit of regality, each participant can also nominate a 2nd MVP ("The Knight") as well as a worst performer ("The Court Jester").

Goal
At the end of the season, each participant will tally up their votes, so they have their own personal record of how they voted over the course of the season. We will then aggregate all participants' votes to see who the Nets board crowned as "The King of Brooklyn" for the 2020-21 season and then use the thread for general commentary.

How to Participate
Each participant needs to create a post in this thread and keep voting record.

(I will included my own personal voting table in the post directly below as the OP. Feel free to copy it or use it as a model.)

Miscellanea & Tips
— This is supposed to be a fun, non-scientific activity. You do not have to watch nor give grades for each game in order to participate.

— Since a critical mass of board members voted at the end of the Jan. 18 game against MIL, the voting record will begin with that game.

— While this thread will be used to keep a record of votes for the duration of the season, feel free to talk about who you nominated as King, Knight, and Court Jester in each game thread as many of us have already begun to do.

— To make the tallying process at the end of the season very easy, I recommend utilizing a counting system that is updated regularly so you have an accurate record of how many times you voted for a particular player for each category.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#2 » by NyCeEvO » Wed Jan 20, 2021 7:51 pm

NyCeEvO's "King of Brooklyn" Voting Table

1/18 vs MIL — King: Harden (1) | Knight: Joe (1) | Jester: TLC (1)
1/20 @ CLE — L
1/22 @ CLE — L
1/23 vs MIA — King: Kyrie (1) | Knights: KD (1) / Joe: (2) | Jester: Harden (1)
1/25 vs MIA — King: Harden (2) | Knight: KD (2) | Jester: TLC (2)
1/27 @ ATL — Kings: Harden/KD/Kyrie (3/1/2) | Knights: Brown/Green: (1/1) | Jester: TLC (3)
1/29 @ OKC — Kings: Harden/Kyrie (4/3) | Knight: Joe (3) | Jester: None
1/31 @ WAS — L
2/2 vs LAC — King: Kyrie (4) | Knight: KD (3) | Jester: None
2/5 vs TOR — L
2/6 @ PHI — L
2/9 @ DET — L
2/10 vs IND — King: DJ (1) | Knight: Kyrie (1) | Jester: Brown (1)
2/13 @ GSW — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
2/15 @ SAC — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
2/16 @ PHX — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
2/18 @ LAL — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
2/21 @ LAC — King: Harden () | Knight: Kyrie and/or Brown () | Jester: Shamet ()
2/23 vs SAC — King: Brown (1) | Knight: Harden () | Jester: None
2/25 vs ORL — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
2/27 vs DAL — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/1 @ SAS — King: Harden-Pending() | Knight: Brown-Pending() | Jester: ()
3/3 @ HOU — King: Harden () | Knight: Brown () | Jester: None

————ALLSTAR BREAK————

3/11 vs BOS — King: Kyrie () | Knight: Shamet () | Jester: ()
3/13 vs DET — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/15 vs NYK — King: Kyrie () | Knight: Jeff Green () | Jester: None
3/17 @ IND — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/19 @ ORL — L
3/21 vs WAS — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/23 @ POR — King: Harden () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/24 @ UTA — L
3/26 @ DET — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/29 vs MIN — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
3/31 vs HOU — King: Kyrie () | Knight: Blake () | Jester: ? ()
4/1 vs CHA — King: () | Knight: () | Jester: ()

4/20 @ NOP — King: Kyrie () | Knight: () | Jester: ()
4/21 @ TAM —

King Counter: Harden (1)
Knight Counter:
Jester Counter:
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: "The King of Brooklyn": Nets Board 2020-21 Voting thread 

Post#3 » by Prokorov » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:04 pm

thanks for doing this.

can jester be an opponent or is it always a net?

no knight/jerster for milwaukee game?

food for thought: should knight just being 2nd most votes for king? or specified knight votes?
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,068

Post#4 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:05 pm

Just wondering, the spirit behind the vote is what, is it purely for the best player in that game? Because I don't see how that's not going to be one of Kyrie, Durant, or Harden like 99% of the time? Or is it more for the player that overachieved the most in that game? Like, if Bruce Brown scores 25 points and hits a few 3s out of nowhere, while KD, Harden, and Kyrie do their typical thing, is the idea to actually vote for Brown, even though one of the big 3 likely still outplayed him?

Or am I taking this whole thing entirely too seriously lol?
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#5 » by therealbig3 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:07 pm

BTW, since Harden won the King award for the Bucks game, I vote for Harris as the Knight in that game.

I vote TLC as the Jester.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,865

Post#6 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:44 pm

Bucks game: King: KD, Knight: Harden, Jester: TLC
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Evalar
Freshman
And1: 52

Post#7 » by Evalar » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:05 pm

I voted
King - Harden
Knight - Brown

I'm new on here so don't want to annoy anyone but I agree with therealbig3 post above. The odds are that the votes are going to be split between three players every game so maybe the knight should be a player who steps up in a game. I don't know how to put it without sounding disrespectful to the other players but I hope you know what I mean.
Shark
Lead Assistant
And1: 980

Post#8 » by Shark » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:09 pm

1/18 v. Bucks: King- Harden, Knight- KD, Jester- TLC
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#9 » by CalamityX12 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:53 pm

1/18 v. Bucks: King- Harden, Knight- KD, Jester- TLC
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#10 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:33 am

Prokorov wrote:thanks for doing this.

can jester be an opponent or is it always a net?

No problem...I just hope this is as fun for us as I think it can be.

That’s a good question/suggestion. I think allowing the jester to be a player from either team (as opposed to only being a Net) is a good idea. I’ll make the change in the OP.

no knight/jerster for milwaukee game?

I was trying to get the post up ASAP, so I just didn’t fill it in yet. I remembered that Harden was my King but I need to go back to my post in the other game thread to remember who I selected as my knight and jester. I’m pretty sure I was deciding between KD and Harris as my Knight and potentially having TLC as the jester.

food for thought: should knight just being 2nd most votes for king? or specified knight votes?

I’d say that the knight should be a specific vote.

I know I initially said the King and Knight should be the best and 2nd best players of the night, but what I really meant is MVP and 2nd MVP, since I don’t consider ‘most valuable’ to be the same as ‘best’.

I don’t want us to always choose between KD, Kyrie, and Harden even though they’re the best players. In fact, your selection of and reasoning behind choosing DJ as King for the first game is a perfect example of what I hope we’ll often do.

While I expect board members will usually put at least one of the big 3 as a King or Knight each game, I certainly don’t want us to limit ourselves to those 3.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#11 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:46 am

therealbig3 wrote:Just wondering, the spirit behind the vote is what, is it purely for the best player in that game? Because I don't see how that's not going to be one of Kyrie, Durant, or Harden like 99% of the time? Or is it more for the player that overachieved the most in that game? Like, if Bruce Brown scores 25 points and hits a few 3s out of nowhere, while KD, Harden, and Kyrie do their typical thing, is the idea to actually vote for Brown, even though one of the big 3 likely still outplayed him?

Thanks for this. I went back and changed the wording in the OP precisely because of what you’re getting at.

I don’t want us to basically just choose between KD, Kyrie, and Harden for king and knight each game. I want there to be more variability.

For me, an MVP is not the same thing as the best player, so I’d prefer if our voting for King and Knights reflected who we thought was the MVP or overachiever for the game as opposed to who was simply the best and compiled the most stats.

So yeah, if Bruce Brown balled out offensively or even played stellar clutch defense that won us the game, I’d hope that would be reflected in our voting for King or Knight even if the Big 3 post their usual numbers.

In short, it’s definitely more of the latter than the former.

No, you’re not taking it too seriously lol. I too would find it boring if we just kept choosing between the Big 3.
NyCeEvO
Forum Mod - Nets
Forum Mod - Nets

Post#12 » by NyCeEvO » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:51 am

Evalar wrote:I'm new on here so don't want to annoy anyone but I agree with therealbig3 post above. The odds are that the votes are going to be split between three players every game so maybe the knight should be a player who steps up in a game. I don't know how to put it without sounding disrespectful to the other players but I hope you know what I mean.

No worries...I agree.

I changed the wording in the OP to better reflect the idea that we shouldn’t just choose the best players on the team, but the players who we thought were most valuable to the team that night.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,423

Post#13 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:40 am

therealbig3 wrote:Just wondering, the spirit behind the vote is what, is it purely for the best player in that game? Because I don't see how that's not going to be one of Kyrie, Durant, or Harden like 99% of the time? Or is it more for the player that overachieved the most in that game? Like, if Bruce Brown scores 25 points and hits a few 3s out of nowhere, while KD, Harden, and Kyrie do their typical thing, is the idea to actually vote for Brown, even though one of the big 3 likely still outplayed him?

This is my conclusion as well.

I think that the King award should be for the Big 3, whereas the Knight award should go to the rest of the team. Jester, IMHO, should only be awarded after losses, and it doesn't mean we need a scapegoat for every loss.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Re: 

Post#14 » by CalamityX12 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:50 am

1/20 v Cavs: King - Kyrie; Knight - Durant; Jester - Nash and the staff
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
therealbig3
RealGM

Re: 

Post#15 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:46 am

So I'm going to use the Knight as the player that stepped up or overachieved the most, rather than the actual 2nd best player. I'm going to use King as the actual best player on the court for us. I understand that means it's going to be KD, Harden, or Kyrie most of the time, but is what it is, that'll be a good way to see who the actual best player for us has been most consistently. I'm guessing KD, but Harden is a certified beast as well.

With that in mind, I'm changing my Knight vote for the Bucks game to Joe Harris. Edited my original post as well.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Re: Re: 

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:47 am

CalamityX12 wrote:1/20 v Cavs: King - Kyrie; Knight - Durant; Jester - Nash and the staff

1/20 vs. Cavs (and yeah we should 100% do it after losses too)

King: Kyrie. carried us, kept us aflot, got big stops/shots in 4th/1st OT
Knight: Green. hit some big threes, including what should have been the game winner. held his own at center vs some bigs
Jester: Nash. you HAVE to foul up 3 with 5 seconds left or sub in situaiton defenders to defend a 3.
therealbig3
RealGM

Post#17 » by therealbig3 » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:12 am

If we're doing this after losses too, then:

1/20 @ Cavs:

King: Durant
Knight: Green
Jester: TLC

I personally don't think Nash screwed up that much. He could have been better, but if the bench stepped up more, then he wouldn't have had to play the starters so much. Also, in terms of fouling down 3 with 5 seconds to go...that's tricky, because Sexton was baiting fouls all night, and you don't want him to catch you fouling him as he quickly rises into the shooting motion. I'd rather play it straight up instead of risking giving him 3 FTs, unless you can 100% commit a foul before a player goes into the shooting motion. That's easier said than done. Couldn't have defended that shot better either.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#18 » by Paradise » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:04 am

King: Kyrie

Knight: Green

Jester: Nash & staff

Much like everyone has said, the Nash thing not fouling or even staggering minutes properly is just inexcusable.

The poor defense from the coaching staff is inexcusable. I’m seeing guys going under on good shooters, no zone defense attempts when CLE went small as well and no attempt to do anything but switch. How can anyone win that way?

Kyrie gets this spot for the clutch shots and the offensive rebound layup that got us the spot. I can’t hate on the amount of shots he took if James is constantly going to defer to him in the middle of the game.

If our concept is truly going to be Harden at PG, Kyrie at SG and KD at SF/PF. You can’t really be mad at the output. Everyone wanted him to come in here and chuck with a 4-27 stat line and no effort to win. Didn’t happened. Per usual.
Evalar
Freshman
And1: 52

Re: 

Post#19 » by Evalar » Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:26 pm

Sorry i'm late.
King Kyrie
Knight Green
Jester I feel guilty but TLC
3pt_chucker
Head Coach
And1: 2,001