ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Nets @ Wizards - Sunday, 01/31/21 | 7:30pm EST | NBA TV (Harden - OUT)

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

DarkXaero
RealGM
And1: 5,572

Re: GT: Nets @ Wizards - Sunday, 01/31/21 | 7:30pm EST | NBA TV (Harden - OUT) 

Post#301 » by DarkXaero » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:42 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Who cares if he made one 3. Hes still a very bad shooter who I would live with taking shots.

In any case its a far better option than allowing an automatic 2 points every single time down the floor. That is literally what happened.

Thats really perferable in your view to leaving freaking Rui Hachimura open? Other teams do that regardless.
My preference is for guys on the floor to do a lot better than they did. We didn't do a good job of on ball defense at all, and our positioning/rotations were dreadful throughout the game. Jeff Green, Bruce Brown, KD, Kyrie were all trash defensively, and couldn't do anything to stop the Wizards. DJ isn't some prime version of himself who can shut down the paint with his high effort and athleticism anymore. More than half of the times, he doesn't even contest shots, which is why he gets bashed for being lazy by Nets fans. Yet all of a sudden, he was our solution on defense last night when Wizards are deploying a 5 out defense :lol:

Yeah you're right.

Having literally nobody who can guard the rim or block shots is a terrible strategy because Rui Curry would have killed us from the outside. :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of those guys are rim protectors. Jordan was +14 for a reason. Having an average interior defender would have made a huge difference.

Your takes just get worse and worse. Just stop.
The king of bad hot takes telling me that :lol:

I'll remind you of this post the next you're bitching about DJ's defense. :lol:
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#302 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:49 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Prokorov wrote:Also... it isnt just Nash. The assistants and players need to be on him too. Someone needs to stand up and be like... PUT DJ IN!

I dont care how much you hate Jordan or how down you are on his play. we were getting dominated within 3 feet on both ends. Dandre was a +14 with 4 dunks in 18 minutes. He would have provided some form of resistance and some threat of a lob. you need to at least throw him on the floor for a few possessions to change momentum/look.

Yeah, I’m super hard on DJ but anyone watching that game could’ve seen how useful he could’ve been on the floor at times in the 4th. No excuse.

I'm not a DJ fan at all but Jeff Green being -19 says it all. Our lineup was scoring a LOT of points but it wasn't working. We were trading baskets like it was the last game of the night at LA Fitness. That's awful. The fact that he made no adjustment like the unit was playing well is very concerning.

I knew something about him was off when he said he didn’t need to change anything defensively and the players needed to learn how to “switch” better.

Umm, nobody is going to get better at “switching” if there is no big to contain the switch lol

We’re basically another version of the small-ball Rockets with a sprinkle of size with DJ and KD.

Perry was a PF in college and played his best ball at PF. Nash and the staff are putting him in a whole new role for no reason right now. He’s 6’9 with shoes.

Nash is beyond in over his head. He needs to figure it out real quick.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#303 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:53 pm

DarkXaero wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:
DarkXaero wrote:My preference is for guys on the floor to do a lot better than they did. We didn't do a good job of on ball defense at all, and our positioning/rotations were dreadful throughout the game. Jeff Green, Bruce Brown, KD, Kyrie were all trash defensively, and couldn't do anything to stop the Wizards. DJ isn't some prime version of himself who can shut down the paint with his high effort and athleticism anymore. More than half of the times, he doesn't even contest shots, which is why he gets bashed for being lazy by Nets fans. Yet all of a sudden, he was our solution on defense last night when Wizards are deploying a 5 out defense :lol:

Yeah you're right.

Having literally nobody who can guard the rim or block shots is a terrible strategy because Rui Curry would have killed us from the outside. :lol: :lol: :lol:

None of those guys are rim protectors. Jordan was +14 for a reason. Having an average interior defender would have made a huge difference.

Your takes just get worse and worse. Just stop.
The king of bad hot takes telling me that :lol:

I'll remind you of this post the next you're bitching about DJ's defense. :lol:

I've repeatedly defended Jordan on this board.

Hes no elite defender but hes still a positive for sure.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

GT: Nets @ Wizards - Sunday, 01/31/21 | 7:30pm EST | NBA TV (Harden - OUT) 

Post#304 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 1, 2021 10:59 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Paradise wrote:
Whiskey Slick wrote:Why didn't the Nets call a T,O, after Beal hit the 3?

Why franticly inbound the ball under their own basket like they were out of timeouts?

Because our coach is OVERRATED. I have been said he is WAY in over his head. He is.

How you over rate rookie coach who's only few months into this gig :D

When people are pegging him to be Coach of the Year, comparing him to Steve Kerr and acting like he is flawless in these media takes? Yes, that is overrating him.

Media: “What’s wrong with the Nets? Trade Kyrie! Or Sign Drummond!”

At some point, he needs to hold himself accountable for rookie mistakes and I said the same thing about Kenny Atkinson’s first year but obviously, completely different situation.

Nash is proving to be extremely green right now and he’s also proving that he is poor with in-game situations as the Nets are poor defensively. Both go hand in hand.

I’d love to blame the staff but he makes the final call, he makes the final shots and he is also the one who got them their jobs. How much his own staff holds him accountable, teaches him where he went wrong vs how much of it is them failing as a staff is to be determined. However, I’ve seen nothing of Nash to get this ultimate pass.

The goal is an NBA Finals run. I’m not seeing anything from this man that could beat out Doc Rivers, Brad Steven’s, Nick Nurse or even the new dude in Indiana right now which is scary because D’antoni isn’t exactly a wizard defensively but the Rockets defended way better than this with Harden, Capela over the last few years. He also coached the Knicks with Tyson Chandler, Melo and Amare and they even had a better DRTG than this. D’antoni could atleast make in-game adjustments and get creative when a lead is in doubt.

The defense and the entire momentum of domination disappeared soon as he forgot to stagger the KY and KD rotation. He went with a whole bench lineup and even kept them out there when Westbrook and Beal returned.

He coached the game like it’s a 2K21 video game. It was straight disappointing and he needs to get it together because guys like Durant, Kyrie and Harden will get tired of him real quick if he can’t figure out how to properly coach a damn offensive juggernaut to get some stops.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,833

Post#305 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:47 pm

Paradise wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Yeah, I’m super hard on DJ but anyone watching that game could’ve seen how useful he could’ve been on the floor at times in the 4th. No excuse.

I'm not a DJ fan at all but Jeff Green being -19 says it all. Our lineup was scoring a LOT of points but it wasn't working. We were trading baskets like it was the last game of the night at LA Fitness. That's awful. The fact that he made no adjustment like the unit was playing well is very concerning.

I knew something about him was off when he said he didn’t need to change anything defensively and the players needed to learn how to “switch” better.

Umm, nobody is going to get better at “switching” if there is no big to contain the switch lol

We’re basically another version of the small-ball Rockets with a sprinkle of size with DJ and KD.

Perry was a PF in college and played his best ball at PF. Nash and the staff are putting him in a whole new role for no reason right now. He’s 6’9 with shoes.

Who else is supposed to play back up center right now though?
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#306 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 1, 2021 11:52 pm

I dunno, this whole blame Steve Nash stuff you guys are on is a bit much when this team has some glaring flaws:

-No bench depth

-No reliable inside defensive presence

-No defenders outside of Durant, Brown, and Green (and even he has been sloppy as of late).

Yesterday's loss isn't all on one guy. Nash makes mistakes but guys aren't doing their jobs either or we lack pieces to compliment The Big 3. We'll see if the two new pick ups can address the defensive issues but I am skeptical. Both of these guys were out of the league for a reason, they aren't really that good even in the areas that they are supposed to specialize in.

GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#307 » by GTR11 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:02 am

Paradise wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Paradise wrote:Because our coach is OVERRATED. I have been said he is WAY in over his head. He is.

How you over rate rookie coach who's only few months into this gig :D

When people are pegging him to be Coach of the Year, comparing him to Steve Kerr and acting like he is flawless in these media takes? Yes, that is overrating him.

Media: “What’s wrong with the Nets? Trade Kyrie! Or Sign Drummond!”

At some point, he needs to hold himself accountable for rookie mistakes and I said the same thing about Kenny Atkinson’s first year but obviously, completely different situation.

Nash is proving to be extremely green right now and he’s also proving that he is poor with in-game situations as the Nets are poor defensively. Both go hand in hand.

I’d love to blame the staff but he makes the final call, he makes the final shots and he is also the one who got them their jobs. How much his own staff holds him accountable, teaches him where he went wrong vs how much of it is them failing as a staff is to be determined. However, I’ve seen nothing of Nash to get this ultimate pass.

The goal is an NBA Finals run. I’m not seeing anything from this man that could beat out Doc Rivers, Brad Steven’s, Nick Nurse or even the new dude in Indiana right now which is scary because D’antoni isn’t exactly a wizard defensively but the Rockets defended way better than this with Harden, Capela over the last few years. He also coached the Knicks with Tyson Chandler, Melo and Amare and they even had a better DRTG than this. D’antoni could atleast make in-game adjustments and get creative when a lead is in doubt.

The defense and the entire momentum of domination disappeared soon as he forgot to stagger the KY and KD rotation. He went with a whole bench lineup and even kept them out there when Westbrook and Beal returned.

He coached the game like it’s a 2K21 video game. It was straight disappointing and he needs to get it together because guys like Durant, Kyrie and Harden will get tired of him real quick if he can’t figure out how to properly coach a damn offensive juggernaut to get some stops.

I get the fact you pissed and all but didn't we discussed all this stuff already. Some giving Nash a free pass here and there is because he's a rookie coach. Let's not forget that.

Of course he won't be better than most top coaches. If you think those coaches has no flaws go check boards of teams they coaching. Saltics fans literally calling for Brad's head second year in a row, Doc just been let go by Logo, Budenholzer is on a hot seat whether it's fair or not. Coaches will get scrutinized no matter what.

This team just lost three players that provided major impact and played significant min. Allen's departure hurts most simply because we have void to fill. DJ is washed up, Perry is undersized rookie and Nic not even practicing yet. We have DPE and mMLE to work with, will Marks be able to get anyone we can be happy with? who knows.

I wouldn't pay attention for hot takes right now simply because they called hot takes for a good reason. Rotations are not set up yet and this roster is clearly incomplete thanks to trade that took place.

You want to take shots at Marks not hiring vet coach or letting Kenny go, go ahead feel free to do so. However keep in mind star players always pick and choose coaches they want to play for no matter what sports it is. Now if you go against their preference than you'll have some bigger issues. If HC can't manage egos than he has no business managing that locker period.

I'm very concerned with the fact we playing D'Antoni small ball right now. It provide explosive offense but literally kills you on the other side of the court. Will Marks and Nash do anything about it is yet to be seen. I'm riding with their flow right now simply because this team is incomplete ( here we go repeating same stuff over again ). Sorry man some times you have to go through process, can't skip steps without knowing what you can work with.
GTR11
RealGM

Post#308 » by GTR11 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 1:08 am

MrDollarBills wrote:
Paradise wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:

Who else is supposed to play back up center right now though?

Well we played Brown some late in games. How tall are you fam :lol: want to get a try out.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#309 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:24 am

MrDollarBills wrote:I dunno, this whole blame Steve Nash stuff you guys are on is a bit much when this team has some glaring flaws:

-No bench depth

-No defenders outside of Durant, Brown, and Green (and even he has been sloppy as of late).

Yesterday's loss isn't all on one guy. Nash makes mistakes but guys aren't doing their jobs either or we lack pieces to compliment The Big 3. We'll see if the two new pick ups can address the defensive issues but I am skeptical. Both of these guys were out of the league for a reason, they aren't really that good even in the areas that they are supposed to specialize in.

I mean to say he has no bench is kind of wrong.... he has 1 superstar top 10 player with his bench at all times. Shamet has struggled but started for a playoff team last year. Bruce Brown started last year. Green is a solid vet backup. Tyler Johnson and TLC were great for baughn last year.

We have no real backup 5. thats a weakness. but there is plenty of depth to not lose to horrible teams consistently.

also, "no inside presnce" could be minimize by playing jordan more. which he seems to refuse to do, even when he is playing well
GTR11
RealGM

Post#310 » by GTR11 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:46 am

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:I dunno, this whole blame Steve Nash stuff you guys are on is a bit much when this team has some glaring flaws:

-No bench depth

I mean to say he has no bench is kind of wrong.... he has 1 superstar top 10 player with his bench at all times. Shamet has struggled but started for a playoff team last year. Bruce Brown started last year. Green is a solid vet backup. Tyler Johnson and TLC were great for baughn last year.

We have no real backup 5. thats a weakness. but there is plenty of depth to not lose to horrible teams consistently.

also, "no inside presnce" could be minimize by playing jordan more. which he seems to refuse to do, even when he is playing well

DJ gets burned every time on a perimeter now days. We had no issue with that because Allen was great covering that. We will have to find someone who can play on a perimeter and being good enough shot blocker. I'm not concerned yet. I'd like to see what Marks will do first before going hard at Nash/D'Antoni combo.

Watching Bucks vs Blazers right now and seeing some good stuff from Bobby Portis. He'll definitely be an upgrade, 3.8 mil only.
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,878

Post#311 » by Hello Brooklyn » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:53 am

We don't have a backup Center but that is no excuse for losing to the **** Wizards when we had a huge lead.

Its not all on Nash, but he doesn't know how to make in game adjustments when necessary. And this team has no concept of team defense.

How can we possibly have the worst defense in league history since the Harden trade? Green, Brown, Jordan, KD are all plus defenders.

We have the players to be at worst a top 20 defense.

Why couldn't Nash instill some type of defensive principles? Is it all just the players being completely inept? Just seems like we have no direction at all on that side of the ball.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#312 » by MrDollarBills » Tue Feb 2, 2021 5:05 am

Prokorov wrote:

-No bench depth

We have no bench. TLC is unreliable. Reggie Perry is a kid. Shamet has lost his game. Brown is ok. Green is OK. After that? We have nothing. We have a 7 man rotation and some G league level talent.

We need help.

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#313 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:12 am

GTR11 wrote:Russ wanted to win this game bad, all props to him. He also been super motivated after Wall and Rondo stuff. Boy will be fantasy God from now on.

Props to Westbrook for sure, he wanted a game so badly, his hunger was palpable and he laid his body on the line.

HOWEVER, I would not suggest anyone to pick him up on fantasy, or proclaim that he's "back". Russ is still washed up, and only truly awful defenses will allow him to catch enough rhythm to turn back the clock anymore. We are one of those truly awful defenses, in rare company with Sacramento and Washington themselves in most effort stats. 2nd chance points surrendered, turnovers forced, loose balls recovered, we're at the bottom of the barrel.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#314 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 8:19 am

DarkXaero wrote:How are people blaming Nash for Joe Harris blunder? Why should Nash take a timeout there when Joe Harris should first survey the floor for options to pass to, and if there's no one available, THAT'S when you take a timeout...

Instead Joe Harris makes a dumb **** pass to a Wizards player right away, rushing it, even though we have two timeouts left. It's 100% on Joe, and no one else. You don't need to try to rush, especially in a game like where we already **** up couple times before, because Westbrook is always lurking to try to steal the ball. For all our awful defense and everything, this loss comes down to a Joe Harris mistake. TLC also missed an easy layup but that's not as bad as what Joe did.

It's on Joe for the stupid, scared inbounds pass. It's on Steve for doubling down on the mistake, calling for Joe to inbounds it again. It was a good thought for Harris to pocket pass it to Kevin on the move, but it wasn't quick or accurate enough, that's why Russ picked it off.

THEN, he tripled down on the inbounds tactical blunders, by mahjong Kyrie the passer under the basket. Skiles is one of the worst tactical coaches in the league, but Nash made him look like friggin John Wooden. Deploying Bonga to defend the inbounds against Irving was bound to put us in a bad spot, I'm not looking on hindsight, I knew it before it happened.

Nash is hurting our chances.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#315 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Feb 2, 2021 12:17 pm

As I've said elsewhere, 2nd in the East midway through the season is nothing to scoff at. No one looks polished, but the advanced statistics tell us that we're a more vulnerable contender than most. The heart of our vulnerability is our physicality, our lack thereof.
-- Steve Martin
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#316 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:40 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

-No bench depth

We have no bench. TLC is unreliable. Reggie Perry is a kid. Shamet has lost his game. Brown is ok. Green is OK. After that? We have nothing. We have a 7 man rotation and some G league level talent.

We need help.

As mentioned, our bench is playing with a star 100% of the time. we basically have the 6th man of the year on the team as one of Harden/Kyrie/KD is on the floor with our bench at basically all times. so its:

Harden (or other star)
Brown
Shamet/TLC
Green
Perry ---->sucks/weakness/big issue with roster

We all know perry sucks. hopefully pelle does ok or we end up with someone like mcgee. but outside of that, our bench is right there with any other contenders bench.

I think the reason for our struggles is more that nash insists on going small, and insists on going with shooters over extending browns minutes. My fear is he will glue pelle and shumpert to the bench.

Honestly the big 3 should start with Jordan and the either brown or Shump. We should play with shump/brown together when one of the big 3 sits. if we go small it should be shump/brown/green and 2 of the big 3 or the big 3, brown or shump and green:

Starters:
Kyrie | Brown | Harden | KD | Jordan

1st Sub:
Kyrie | Shumpert | Brown | KD | Jordan

2nd sub:

Harden | Harris | Shumpert | Green | Pelle

3rd sub:

Kyrie | Harden | KD |Brown | Green

4th sub:

Shamet or TLC | Harris | Brown | KD | Green

Thats a standard 9 man rotation. Add TLC/Shamet to make it 10 if you want to rest the stars more.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#317 » by Prokorov » Tue Feb 2, 2021 2:48 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:As I've said elsewhere, 2nd in the East midway through the season is nothing to scoff at. No one looks polished, but the advanced statistics tell us that we're a more vulnerable contender than most. The heart of our vulnerability is our physicality, our lack thereof.

This is good perspective. this isnt "panic mode". we can sleep walk our way to a top 4 seed. It is more coming to the conclusion that we have some flaws that make our chances to contended quesitonable.

As far as "being physical", thats hard to do when you go small so often, and play harris over a defender for as long as we do. Don't get me wrong. Harris needs to play and play alot. he is one of our better players. but playing him 26 minutes instead of 32 in games where we are getting sliced up is crucial.

also, you cant have it both ways:

-Play big and play harris
-Play small and play brown

Return to Brooklyn Nets