Shams: Nets sign Noah Vonleh  

Post#1 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:31 pm

Read on Twitter
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Re: Shams: Nets sign Noah Vonleh 

Post#2 » by MGrand15 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 3:56 pm

This is interesting. I think Marks is gonna get more aggressive in the next few weeks to get bigger and better on defense. As constructed we have enough firepower to win the chip but it's so difficult to get it done with this type of inconsistency on defense. We have 2 trade chips - Shamet and Dinwiddie. I expect them both to be moved during this stretch.
Born_Ready
Veteran
And1: 476

Post#3 » by Born_Ready » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:12 pm

I liked Vonleh coming out of college but he definitely underwhelmed and underachieved thus far. I realize right now, at this point, beggars can't be choosers, but he and Peele were unemployed for a reason. The team needs some quality bigs that can help protect the paint, so I won't complain all that much, but I'm not sure if this move makes the team any better. Just my .02 cents worth.
OKC Thunder fan, too.
LloydFree
RealGM
And1: 11,567
Location: Somewhere near the Jersey Turnpike, between exit 4 and 15E

Post#4 » by LloydFree » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:25 pm

This is a good signing for the Nets. He's too good to have been on the streets this late in the season. He'll help this team.
Fischella wrote:I think none of you guys that are pro-Embiid no how basketball works today.. is way easier to win it all with Omer Asik than Olajuwon.
Actually if you ask me which Center I want for my perfect championship caliber team, I will chose Asik hands down
therealbig3
RealGM
And1: 15,067

Post#5 » by therealbig3 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:29 pm

Don't know much about him honestly. Is he any good? What does he do well?
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#6 » by Openheimer » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:33 pm

He was pretty good in Charlotte. Was ok in Portland but fell off the face of the earth after that.Next obvious move should be Shamet and Tyler Johnson with a second rounder for PJ Tucker to shore up perimeter defense. Tucker is a versatile defender who can play switch and guard the smaller nimbler guards or the bigger PF’s
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,174

Post#7 » by Keith Van Horn » Mon Feb 8, 2021 4:39 pm

Don't know much about Vonleh really, other than he's kind of underperformed to this point in his career. And if everything works out with him, he's what we can really use.

At least we know that Marks is acknowledging that we're struggling with our defense and big man rotation. I'm glad he's kicking the tires on guys like Vonleh and Pelle. Are they the solution?? Who knows, but happy to see we're looking at cheap solutions first until the buyouts start to happen.

I'm also not in crazy favor of trading Dinwiddie or Shamet. I'd like to avoid moving either and probably making any trades unless they are really in our favor.

I know that Spencer isn't helping us now.... but from what I understand his rehab is going great and should be back in time for the playoffs. Shamet has been HUGELY underwhelming too, but let the man continue to get some minutes off the bench and keep finding his groove. He looked good in the Philly game and maybe he's taking a turn at this point in the season.
Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#8 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:09 pm

therealbig3 wrote:Don't know much about him honestly. Is he any good? What does he do well?

A very solid rebounding, physical big that can shoot threes. Huge hands.

However, he isn’t a natural shot blocker. I’d say his defense is average to below average despite his physical frame.

Paradise
Nets Forum: Asst. To The RM
And1: 11,875

Post#9 » by Paradise » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:13 pm

Vonleh was signed by Chicago to be a rotation big and was waived due to contracting covid before training camp.

Vonleh vs the Nets:

Suwanee
Junior
And1: 174

Post#10 » by Suwanee » Mon Feb 8, 2021 5:49 pm

From the highlight, he reminds me of Christian Wood: a tall dude with thin frame, good foot work under the basket, can hit the 3, defense has something to be desired...

Of course it’s the highlight. But just saying, don’t write him off just because he’s waived. For all we know, Wood was waived MULTIPLE times , even by a CBA team.

Keep in mind, Harden can make any center that can can catch lobs look like a talented player.
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#11 » by GTR11 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:20 pm

It'll take time for him to get into game shape. Not what we looking for. He had some good stretches while playing for duh nix.

Damn if it's that bad than let's kick tires Noah too.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#12 » by Stone » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:25 pm

[quote="Suwanee"]From the highlight, he reminds me of Christian Wood: a tall dude with thin frame, good foot work under the basket, can hit the 3, defense has something to be desired...

Of course it’s the highlight. But just saying, don’t write him off just because he’s waived. For all we know, Wood was waived MULTIPLE times , even by a CBA team.

Keep in mind, Harden can make any center that can catch lobs look like a talented player

Good point and just to add to that we also have Ky and KD. This is definitely the most talented team he has played with, and it should make it easier on him.

Any details on his contract? Or Shumps?
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#13 » by GTR11 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:27 pm

Suwanee wrote:From the highlight, he reminds me of Christian Wood: a tall dude with thin frame, good foot work under the basket, can hit the 3, defense has something to be desired...

Keep in mind, Harden can make any center that can can catch lobs look like a talented player.

Most of us seen enough of Vonley. He can be really bad on D and that's what I'm more concerned about. We just adding undersized C who won't provide much of rim protection.
Stone
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,445

Post#14 » by Stone » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:33 pm

This singing brings us to I believe 14, This does not included Reggie Perry and Spencer.

Scary Hours
Joe
DJ
Shamet
TLC
Uncle Jeff
Brown
TJ
Cheese
Shump
Pelle
Nic

So we have one more spot available.....
The man who sleeps on the floor can never fall out of bed........Martin Lawrence
CalamityX12
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 2,532

Post#15 » by CalamityX12 » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:50 pm

As long as he's in shape, let's roll with it
The ModFather

My sports teams are currently experiencing suckiness. Please pardon the mess.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#16 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 8, 2021 6:55 pm

I like the singing.

I dont think vonleh is a great defender, maybe not even a good one. be he is tough and physical. and right now we lack that. we need someone to get i peoples face when they knock KD or kyrie to the ground. and Vonleh is that guy.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,837

Post#17 » by MrDollarBills » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:18 pm

Vonleh is a solid rebounder and a big body, so welcome aboard. I don't expect much out of him but some honest hard work.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Openheimer
Sixth Man
And1: 1,100

Post#18 » by Openheimer » Mon Feb 8, 2021 7:27 pm

All these guys are non guaranteed so once the buyout market opens and the vet ring chasers come calling, all these guys can be waived to open up roster spots. Guys like Robin Lopez, McGee and maybe someone like miles Plumlee ( unlikely) could all be buyout candidates
Hello Brooklyn
RealGM
And1: 12,871

Post#19 » by Hello Brooklyn » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:20 pm

I certainly like this signing a lot better than Pelle, who needs to be waived.

Vonleh can definitely play 15 minutes in a game to backup Jordan.
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#20 » by Prokorov » Mon Feb 8, 2021 8:29 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I certainly like this signing a lot better than Pelle, who needs to be waived.

Vonleh can definitely play 15 minutes in a game to backup Jordan.

I'm good with 10 days or so of Pelle. he is better then perry at the very least and if deandge had to miss a game having him for a shift is better then 48 minutes of jeff green at center. He is at leats a guy who will agressively block shots.

keep in mind alot of our losses have been 1 possesion or so. a block or two from pelle could swing a game vs. 5 guys standing and watching.

obviously if someone like mcgee becomes available, peace out pelle. but ill give him some burn for now

Return to Brooklyn Nets