Kings @ Nets: Tue. 2/23/2021, 7:30 PM ET - YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,833

Re: Kings @ Nets: Tue. 2/23/2021, 7:30 PM ET - YES 

Post#201 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We don't have a good sample size to make any judgments about what Nic can or cannot provide this team right now. That was his 14th game in the NBA and the first floor action he has seen in a year. Everyone needs to be patient to see what role he carves out for himself here.

I think we can make judgements with him the same way we can with perry. he is young hasnt played and who knows, but as of now he certainly is not an NBA center in the rotation for a contender. he fills in that "cant be worse then perry/pelle" category but we need someone like mcgee so he can go back to being in street clothes and doing celebrations on the bench when we hit a 3.

I mean i think it's too soon to write off Perry as well. Both guys are young and need time to figure it out or not.

However, we don't have that kind of time. So I agree, we need another veteran center in the line up.

That being said, I don't think he was bad last night. Nor great. I need to see more rebounds, better screens, and some shots being altered at the rim.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#202 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:56 pm

GTR11 wrote:
All this after one game :lol: . At least admitted he's quick enough to play guards on a perimeter. You and BK man :lol: . All this after one game.

I said like 100 times in this thread im not going to get into criticizing him or anyone for 1 game. 1 game means nothing.

Nic had tough time getting PT because Kenny don't believe in rookies like that. Remember Allen during his first year, yeah right.
DJ will not provide effort games like last night consistently and you know that. 34 yo Jeff surprised us all and hope he'll keep it up. However if you guys think Marks will get any legit 4-5 during buy out or trade deadline let me put your hopes to rest. We have no assets to speak of or cap space. No legit rotation player will look to come here.

We have assets: Dinwiddie, Shamet, Multiple 2nd round picks. Moratoriums have passed on any restrictions trading players
We have Cap: a 5+ million DPE and a 6+ million MLE

Javale McGee can easily be had for that or less.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#203 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:58 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:We don't have a good sample size to make any judgments about what Nic can or cannot provide this team right now. That was his 14th game in the NBA and the first floor action he has seen in a year. Everyone needs to be patient to see what role he carves out for himself here.

I think we can make judgements with him the same way we can with perry. he is young hasnt played and who knows, but as of now he certainly is not an NBA center in the rotation for a contender. he fills in that "cant be worse then perry/pelle" category but we need someone like mcgee so he can go back to being in street clothes and doing celebrations on the bench when we hit a 3.

I mean i think it's too soon to write off Perry as well. Both guys are young and need time to figure it out or not.

However, we don't have that kind of time. So I agree, we need another veteran center in the line up.

That being said, I don't think he was bad last night. Nor great. I need to see more rebounds, better screens, and some shots being altered at the rim.

I dont think he was bad. he was just put out of position. like when Jeff Green is at center i think he is playing bad when its a layup line at the rim. he is just out of postion and not a shot blocker. Same with Claxton. He played hard. And any turnover stuff is expected after a long layoff. To me if we want to play him at the 5 its the same as green or perry. you need to be hitting threes or you need to sit or move to PF. cant afford a non-shot blocking, below avg rebounding 5 if they arent spacing it and making teams pay with the 3-ball

Id like his chances alot better at the 4
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#204 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:25 pm

Read on Twitter

Love Bruce THE BIG MAN Brown. Dude is incredible at being able to work without the ball and Harden finds him every single time. Guys like Claxton and Roberson need to watch how this guy finds holes in the defense. It's almost masterful at this point

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/b/brownbr01.html

^^^This guy is shooting an elite 74% at the rim. If he can get that 3pt % of his into the low 30s that will be huge for us

Prokorov
RealGM

Post#205 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:52 pm

After my second watch, and remembering last weeks matchup, Haliburton looks like he has the make of a really good player. he isnt scared of the moment or opponent. I like his confidence and how he plays winning ball, both ends, uses his teammates. very impressed
GTR11
RealGM
And1: 2,847

Post#206 » by GTR11 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:00 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
All this after one game :lol: . At least admitted he's quick enough to play guards on a perimeter. You and BK man :lol: . All this after one game.

I said like 100 times in this thread im not going to get into criticizing him or anyone for 1 game. 1 game means nothing.

Nic had tough time getting PT because Kenny don't believe in rookies like that. Remember Allen during his first year, yeah right.
DJ will not provide effort games like last night consistently and you know that. 34 yo Jeff surprised us all and hope he'll keep it up. However if you guys think Marks will get any legit 4-5 during buy out or trade deadline let me put your hopes to rest. We have no assets to speak of or cap space. No legit rotation player will look to come here.

We have assets: Dinwiddie, Shamet, Multiple 2nd round picks. Moratoriums have passed on any restrictions trading players

Now look at what you said and think again. In what world does expiring contract became an asset. Even if some team might be interested, guy is hurt and won't be suiting up. It's salary filler with nothing to attach to. Also :lol: those 2nd round picks can be had for cash, and most likely higher than were we'd be picking.
Shamet might fetch Hassan, Holmes and Bagley healthy right now. McGee is a primary back up for Allen. So that's not happening.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#207 » by Prokorov » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:07 pm

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:

Now look at what you said and think again. In what world does expiring contract became an asset. Even if some team might be interested, guy is hurt and won't be suiting up. It's salary filler with nothing to attach to. Also :lol: those 2nd round picks can be had for cash, and most likely higher than were we'd be picking.
Shamet might fetch Hassan, Holmes and Bagley healthy right now. McGee is a primary back up for Allen. So that's not happening.

Dinwiddie is a coveted asset. especially for teams who are over the cap and would need his rights to sign him in the offseason. a playoff team interested in dinwiddie would be limited to the MLE or less. Trading for him allows them to give more and have a real chance at sgining him. that is typically worth a role playing backup big.

2nd rounders have value. teams typically take that over the buyout route since they are off the hook for the players salary completely.

I see you ignored the part about the DPE and MLE, which give us an advantage vs other playoff teams who mostly used their MLE this offseason already

We arent talking about trading for Gobert or Jokic here. the guys we would target and buyout candidates come cheap.

we will 100% get a big to backup deandre via buyout or small trade
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#208 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:After my second watch, and remembering last weeks matchup, Haliburton looks like he has the make of a really good player. he isnt scared of the moment or opponent. I like his confidence and how he plays winning ball, both ends, uses his teammates. very impressed

Both Kyrie and Harden went up to him after the game and talked to him at length. He was out there doing us dirty I'm not gonna lie :lol:

if I was a Knick fan i would be sick right now.

GTR11
RealGM

Post#209 » by GTR11 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:44 pm

Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

Dinwiddie is a coveted asset. especially for teams who are over the cap and would need his rights to sign him in the offseason. a playoff team interested in dinwiddie would be limited to the MLE or less. Trading for him allows them to give more and have a real chance at sgining him. that is typically worth a role playing backup big.

2nd rounders have value. teams typically take that over the buyout route since they are off the hook for the players salary completely.

I see you ignored the part about the DPE and MLE, which give us an advantage vs other playoff teams who mostly used their MLE this offseason already

We arent talking about trading for Gobert or Jokic here. the guys we would target and buyout candidates come cheap.

I didn't ignore DPE or mMLE, I already said there are no players worth using it.
No team losing assets for nothing and shedding 11 ain't problem, over ten teams can absorb 10+ mil right now, they also have assets to offer. As I said, we have nothing to work with, we also have competition from both LA teams if we looking into buy outs.
You and BK as Nets fans better hope and pray Nic is everything we need instead bashing him and calling him trash after one game. He showed potentially for Marks to believe in him. I'm not going to question him with that. I like Nic as a prospect and think he can start one's he get into game shape.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#210 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:50 am

GTR11 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
GTR11 wrote:Now look at what you said and think again. In what world does expiring contract became an asset. Even if some team might be interested, guy is hurt and won't be suiting up. It's salary filler with nothing to attach to. Also :lol: those 2nd round picks can be had for cash, and most likely higher than were we'd be picking.

I didn't ignore DPE or mMLE, I already said there are no players worth using it.
No team losing assets for nothing and shedding 11 ain't problem, over ten teams can absorb 10+ mil right now, they also have assets to offer. As I said, we have nothing to work with, we also have competition from both LA teams if we looking into buy outs.
You and BK as Nets fans better hope and pray Nic is everything we need instead bashing him and calling him trash after one game. He showed potentially for Marks to believe in him. I'm not going to question him with that. I like Nic as a prospect and think he can start one's he get into game shape.

you say the DPE/MLE dont matter but then say we have competition for buyouts. we could pay a buyout player significantly more then either LA team because of those exceptions. and yeah, someone like McGee would be worth it for sure.

I didnt call claxton trash after 1 game. i called him trash prior to that after 0 games. he is not an NBA center. we need a shot blocking rebounder, not a small ball forward who doesnt shoot as well as green. claxton may find his way in a 10 man rotation some day as a 3/4 hyibrid. not as a center on a championship team.
Keith Van Horn
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,177

Post#211 » by Keith Van Horn » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:54 pm

Prokorov wrote:After my second watch, and remembering last weeks matchup, Haliburton looks like he has the make of a really good player. he isnt scared of the moment or opponent. I like his confidence and how he plays winning ball, both ends, uses his teammates. very impressed

My buddy, who's a Suns fan, reminds me almost every time we text that he's super pissed Phoenix passed on him last year.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#212 » by MGrand15 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

I dont think he was bad. he was just put out of position. like when Jeff Green is at center i think he is playing bad when its a layup line at the rim. he is just out of postion and not a shot blocker. Same with Claxton. He played hard. And any turnover stuff is expected after a long layoff. To me if we want to play him at the 5 its the same as green or perry. you need to be hitting threes or you need to sit or move to PF. cant afford a non-shot blocking, below avg rebounding 5 if they arent spacing it and making teams pay with the 3-ball

Of all things to keep harping on, you keep going off on his shotblocking. He has plenty of potential there. Dude has a 7'3 wingspan with crazy speed, hops, and good timing. Had a few 3 block games last year. Had a nice block at the rim against Sacramento even though he was mostly on the perimeter.

The idea of someone that can rim run + catch lobs like DJ and switch onto guards on the perimeter sounds good to me. Inexperience is the biggest factor though. He basically has the same amount of games played as Reggie Perry. He looked slower than normal yesterday which is hopefully due to conditioning and not the knee issues.
Prokorov
RealGM

Post#213 » by Prokorov » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:42 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Of all things to keep harping on, you keep going off on his shotblocking. He has plenty of potential there. Dude has a 7'3 wingspan with crazy speed, hops, and good timing. Had a few 3 block games last year. Had a nice block at the rim against Sacramento even though he was mostly on the perimeter.

The idea of someone that can rim run + catch lobs like DJ and switch onto guards on the perimeter sounds good to me. Inexperience is the biggest factor though. He basically has the same amount of games played as Reggie Perry. He looked slower than normal yesterday which is hopefully due to conditioning and not the knee issues.

shotblocking isnt just winspan and quickness. its a skill. and he doesnt have it. He isnt a big, or at least certainly isnt a 5, even in this league. and really doesnt give us what DJ does or Allen did. We need a legit shot blocker. doesnt need to be mcgee, but someone.

there may be a spot on this team somwhere for claxton, its not backup center
GTR11
RealGM

Post#214 » by GTR11 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:20 pm

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:

Nic will have chance to show us his potential from now on. Here's the video Matt broke down ( inice guy, asked him and he did make film break down ) how Nic performed. A lot of good stuff for even Prok to admit he can defend perimeter.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
One's he get into game shape, bet he'll feast with Harden making him look a lot better.
MGrand15
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,758

Post#215 » by MGrand15 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:11 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:

shotblocking isnt just winspan and quickness. its a skill. and he doesnt have it. He isnt a big, or at least certainly isnt a 5, even in this league. and really doesnt give us what DJ does or Allen did. We need a legit shot blocker. doesnt need to be mcgee, but someone.

I'm not even arguing. Just confused. Claxton is a shot blocker. He averaged 2.5 blocks a game in college. Last year he averaged the same amount of blocks as DJ did per 36. He had a bunch of blocks in the G League too.
MrDollarBills
RealGM

Post#216 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:09 am

MGrand15 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
MGrand15 wrote:

I'm not even arguing. Just confused. Claxton is a shot blocker. He averaged 2.5 blocks a game in college. Last year he averaged the same amount of blocks as DJ did per 36. He had a bunch of blocks in the G League too.

he had a block in the last game too :lol:

Return to Brooklyn Nets