ImageImageImageImageImage

KD vs Rapoport

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

xinxin
Senior
Posts: 579
And1: 507
Joined: Jul 01, 2018
   

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#101 » by xinxin » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:29 pm

KD needs to see a shrink. Or get a better manager. Got suckered into this spat with rapaport. Not even worth it.

& the Nets fans who are defending KD, if the guy was a Laker/Clipper / Sixer, would you still say this is nothing?

NBA should not tolerate this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#102 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:51 pm

xinxin wrote:KD needs to see a shrink. Or get a better manager. Got suckered into this spat with rapaport. Not even worth it.

& the Nets fans who are defending KD, if the guy was a Laker/Clipper / Sixer, would you still say this is nothing?

NBA should not tolerate this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does he need to see a shrink ? Lmfaoo! This is who KD is. He’s always going to be sensitive. Just this one time he got caught saying some wild stuff. I’m pretty sure he’ll be more careful who he talks to like that next time but the language he used will always be in him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 37,728
And1: 14,617
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#103 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:30 pm

Prokorov wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:Don’t think he gets it. Wish Grady would have told him that many people are saying it came off as homophobic. Because his response came off as tone deaf to me, like he doesn’t realize why people are making it a big deal...it’s not just because “uh oh, he used bad words”.


I feel like this has a been a massive failure by the Nets front office to sit KD down and educate him on why he, as a beloved athlete and the face of the franchise, needs to be more thoughtful about issues like this.

He clearly was using the rhetoric not to attack the LGBTQA community but to demean Michael Rappaport...yet at the same time, it's clear that he doesn't get why him using homophobic slurs to insult someone is still harmful especially coming from someone of his stature. I don't think what he said with Grady remotely even shows that he even understands that. That's the part that bugs me. There are people within the Nets organization being paid six figures to respond to PR nightmares like this and the best response is to let KD go on TV and say "sorry you had to see that"? Is Joe Tsai okay with that? Sean Marks? Come on now. The Nets can do better.

Saying or releasing a statement like "I now recognize that the words that I used may have offended and are harmful to members of our LGBT community, and I am sorry and did not mean to hurt or offend anyone. I will do better to educate myself going forward regarding the use of certain language and how it is not acceptable regardless of context." would have nipped this in the bud.

The sad part is, I don't think KD is a hateful person, but I think he, like a lot of other people (and you can clearly see this from the type of responses given here), don't realize that insinuating that someone is gay as an insult is even a bad thing to do. It's like learned behavior that he hasn't grown out of.

Full disclosure: I'm not innocent of this stuff either, when I was younger I called people the same word he called Rappaport, or I've said stupid stuff like "yo that's so gay" to describe something negatively. I was never taught that was wrong. However, I learned that what I was saying was wrong, and I was being disrespectful to not only people that i didn't even know, but to my own family members and friends who are gay and lesbian themselves. I didn't want to be that guy hurting people so I took the time to listen and educate myself. Empathy goes a long way, but in this situation here, I am seeing none of it from Kevin Durant and that is frankly disappointing.


This is pretty much spot on with how i feel...

And like, i dont even need the canned generic well polished apology. Even if he was like "i didnt mean that as an insult to LBGT community, its not a word we used like that. i apologize if someone took it that way" would get alot more respect from me... his response was just so cringe worthy. Like the only thing he is sorry about is that it got leaked and went public/he got caught. not for anyone he may have offended

and yeah, the Nets really handling this awful. Imagine the 12 year old gay nets fan who is getting bullied and abused in school, told how he is an awful human, maybe beat up... seeing KD calling others the same word he is called daily (C***Sucker) with the same vitrol and disregard as he get it used again him and then seeing KD say "im just sorry it got out there"

Thats damaging for the kid, for the nets, and enables the bullies who are like well if KD is calling people this and is the victem cause it was leaked im good to keep calling this 12 year old gay kid that word

terrible. sad. awful.


Yeah that's the thing I thought about, young Net fans (or just KD fans in general) who happen to be gay coming across KD saying this kind of stuff. When you use homosexuality as an insult you are implying that something is wrong with people for being that way. This is why it's wrong but people don't get it. Or they do, and don't care. It's depressing.
User avatar
MrDollarBills
RealGM
Posts: 37,728
And1: 14,617
Joined: Feb 15, 2008
     

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#104 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:48 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:How is what KD said homophobic ? It’s like if I call somebody a reetard who isn’t reetarded and somebody saying oh I’m being phobic towards slow people. It’s ridiculous the word police get offended by everything. The N word is different since that word was clearly used to abuse black people.


C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have


I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#105 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:54 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have


I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.


That word is used against guys that are overly defending another man and or trying to placate to another man. An example would be Shannon Sharpe and Lebron.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#106 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:56 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have


I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.


How is it homophobic if woman can also c*** suck ? You guys make zero sense and are acting very sensitive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 26,551
And1: 12,572
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#107 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:57 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.


That word is used against guys that are overly defending another man and or trying to placate to another man. An example would be Shannon Sharpe and Lebron.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


And you’re REALLY not seeing the homosexuality reference there? Seriously?
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#108 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:01 pm

therealbig3 wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.


That word is used against guys that are overly defending another man and or trying to placate to another man. An example would be Shannon Sharpe and Lebron.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


And you’re REALLY not seeing the homosexuality reference there? Seriously?


Nope because men or woman can overly placate to the same sex. Doesn’t mean they’re gay though.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

KD vs Rapoport 

Post#109 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:03 pm

I hope none of you guys actually play basketball on the street because I wonder if you guys will take your ball and go home when somebody trash talks to you.

At the end of the day , people that want to police what people say in private are setting a bad precedent because I know for sure these people aren’t always saying nice things in private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#110 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:11 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:How is what KD said homophobic ? It’s like if I call somebody a reetard who isn’t reetarded and somebody saying oh I’m being phobic towards slow people. It’s ridiculous the word police get offended by everything. The N word is different since that word was clearly used to abuse black people.


C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have


I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


It doesnt matter. the word still does damage.

What you are saying is the equivolent of being like "it doesnt matter that someone sad N----r, i hear black people use that word amongst themselves more then i hear it as hate speech.

Straight people using it doesnt make all the gay people who are abused with those words daily somehow hurt less when its slurred
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#111 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:13 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:I can't believe you guys are still talking about this.

KD said sorry and its time to move on.

We having bigger issues to deal with in this world than a stupid private convo between KD and some idiot.


But he didnt apologize is the problem... and he is only sorry he got exposed, not sorry that the words he said are homophobic and hateful and harmful. It shows ignorance and a complete lack of empathy.

That would be like if you robbed a bank overnight, thought you got away with it but 4 weeks later the security footage outed you. and then when asked to comment your response was "im sorry the cameras recorded me" instead of "im sorry i robbed the bank"
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#112 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:15 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:KD took shots at Michael Rappoport not an entire community! I mean this is getting ridiculous. This is trash talk , i've heard alot worse. It does'nt make it right but too many people are here trying to be holier then though and the word police. It's pretty amusing.


Words have power. you dont get a free pass because it "was only directed at one person"

If i go down to my local park, and scream the N-word at my white friend, im pretty sure that any black person within ear shot is going to be upset, effected, and angry about it.

KD said it. it went public. he isnt even remotely sorry about it and/or has 0 awareness of his hate speech and how harmful it is
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#113 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:16 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
C***Sucker is used to abuse gays. We even have someone in this thread, who is gay who has confirmed that. Getting called a C***Sucker as a gay person your whole life is extremely abusive. and that group has certainly been targeted with hate and violence.

people shouldnt be using (Please Use More Appropriate Word) as an insult either. even thought that group hasnt been met with the hate and violence gays and minorities have


I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


It doesnt matter. the word still does damage.

What you are saying is the equivolent of being like "it doesnt matter that someone sad N----r, i hear black people use that word amongst themselves more then i hear it as hate speech.

Straight people using it doesnt make all the gay people who are abused with those words daily somehow hurt less when its slurred


The mistake you just made is compare what gay people go through to what black people went through. One group of people were enslaved in this country the other wasn’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#114 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:18 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:KD took shots at Michael Rappoport not an entire community! I mean this is getting ridiculous. This is trash talk , i've heard alot worse. It does'nt make it right but too many people are here trying to be holier then though and the word police. It's pretty amusing.


Words have power. you dont get a free pass because it "was only directed at one person"

If i go down to my local park, and scream the N-word at my white friend, im pretty sure that any black person within ear shot is going to be upset, effected, and angry about it.

KD said it. it went public. he isnt even remotely sorry about it and/or has 0 awareness of his hate speech and how harmful it is


Again you’re comparing the N word to being called a c*** sucker. Tell me how both of these are the same in this country ? N Word has historical backing, cmon man you’re better then that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#115 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:18 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:It’s honestly disappointing seeing so many apologists for KD’s behavior. Like, take the homer goggles off, jeez.

If LeBron did this, you can be damn sure there would be a huge uproar, and many of the same people defending KD would be going after LeBron. SMH.


My thing it was a private conversation that was made public by some bozo comedian. Now we have the word police trying to apply their values & standards over a private convo. It's ridiculous because I know many of you have used not so nice words in the past.


Being hateful and homophobic in private doesnt make it better. the KKK is mostly anonymous members who spout a ton of hate in private. i guess its ok they talk about lynching blacks because "its private conversation"

its also no longer private. everyone in the world can see it now.

KD needs to man up. frankly, so do the nets.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#116 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:20 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
xinxin wrote:KD needs to see a shrink. Or get a better manager. Got suckered into this spat with rapaport. Not even worth it.

& the Nets fans who are defending KD, if the guy was a Laker/Clipper / Sixer, would you still say this is nothing?

NBA should not tolerate this.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does he need to see a shrink ? Lmfaoo! This is who KD is. He’s always going to be sensitive. Just this one time he got caught saying some wild stuff. I’m pretty sure he’ll be more careful who he talks to like that next time but the language he used will always be in him.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


If that language is always in him and he is so easily triggered he probably has some deep rooted insecurities. and a psychologist can certainly help with that.

there is also nothing wrong with seeing a psychiatrist or psychologist. mental health is important and like 99% of the population ignores it
Sprewell4Three
General Manager
Posts: 8,395
And1: 3,731
Joined: Apr 08, 2011

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#117 » by Sprewell4Three » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:21 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
therealbig3 wrote:It’s honestly disappointing seeing so many apologists for KD’s behavior. Like, take the homer goggles off, jeez.

If LeBron did this, you can be damn sure there would be a huge uproar, and many of the same people defending KD would be going after LeBron. SMH.


My thing it was a private conversation that was made public by some bozo comedian. Now we have the word police trying to apply their values & standards over a private convo. It's ridiculous because I know many of you have used not so nice words in the past.


Being hateful and homophobic in private doesnt make it better. the KKK is mostly anonymous members who spout a ton of hate in private. i guess its ok they talk about lynching blacks because "its private conversation"

its also no longer private. everyone in the world can see it now.

KD needs to man up. frankly, so do the nets.


How is lynching blacks the same as someone calling somebody else a c*** sucker ? Dude you’re digging yourself into a hole. Just quit while you still can.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#118 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:22 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
MrDollarBills wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


Sigh. I know this will be a waste of time but:

Okay, I am going to assume you are a straight male like me, right? Ok.

So if I call you c*** sucker, I am saying that you suck dick and therefore you're gay. I am using that to insult you.

The fact that I am using homosexuality to insult you implies that there is something wrong with homosexuality, and I am attempting to offend you by calling you a guy that likes to suck dick. That is literally homophobic rhetoric.

Also, just because you have seen only straight people being called that doesn't matter. You're not gay nor are you privy to what kind of abuse gay people endure.

And...the fact that you've admitted that you have only seen straight people called this speaks volumes.


How is it homophobic if woman can also c*** suck ? You guys make zero sense and are acting very sensitive.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


You are 100% right. It is not homophobic because it applies to women to.

It is homophobic AND sexist.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#119 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:26 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:I hope none of you guys actually play basketball on the street because I wonder if you guys will take your ball and go home when somebody trash talks to you.

At the end of the day , people that want to police what people say in private are setting a bad precedent because I know for sure these people aren’t always saying nice things in private.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I hear stuff all the time at the courts. hell even at work. No one is naive that there isnt hate in the world. but it is a problem. if im at the courts and someone is calling me a C***sucker or N***r or something like that were stopping the game and im addressing them and if there are not apologies then one of us is leaving. thats not tolerated by me, not by my friends i play ball with, not at the Y i go to and not with any decent human.

most of the times its others being like "stop with that nonsense" and then "lets all shut up and play ball"

The fact that his hate speech is happening so much in private is an issue. we live in a racist, sexist, bigoted country, and trump fanned those flames
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: KD vs Rapoport 

Post#120 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:29 pm

Sprewell4Three wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sprewell4Three wrote:
I seen that word used against straight people more though. It's not homophobic. Its like me calling another man a b*tch and then somebody saying i'm being sexist to woman.


It doesnt matter. the word still does damage.

What you are saying is the equivolent of being like "it doesnt matter that someone sad N----r, i hear black people use that word amongst themselves more then i hear it as hate speech.

Straight people using it doesnt make all the gay people who are abused with those words daily somehow hurt less when its slurred


The mistake you just made is compare what gay people go through to what black people went through. One group of people were enslaved in this country the other wasn’t.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


Not being a slave doesnt mean that you have not suffered through oppression and torture. "gay bashing" was an acceptable ting in the 50s and 60s. what religions do to gay men, forcing them to take wives, have kids with women, and "pray the gay away". people urging gays to commit suicide. gays being beaten and murdered for their sexuality.

these things still count despite "gays never being slaves".

There is a standard for oppression and gays certainly meet it. US laws cover sexual orientation in anti-discrimination laws. and thats for a reason. because they are discriminated against

Return to Brooklyn Nets