ImageImageImageImageImage

GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 648
And1: 678
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#181 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:32 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:
sashaturiaf wrote:LMA boxing out and contesting shots has been a breath of fresh air. Offense also looks refreshed with no Harden ball.

To be fair, Harden himself prefers not to go "Harden ball." He did it out of necessity, and we wouldn't have won as much as we have over the last month without it. Now that we're getting healthier, I think he'll return to the lower-usage, quick-passing, efficient-shooting superstar we saw when he first arrived.


Agree. Harden is a high IQ player and nobody is more hungry for a title than he is. He can and will adapt to anything that works.

But It was pretty clear to me the team was getting used to that style of play and the ball was sticking rather than moving, with the resulting downsides from that. This was happening even when Kyrie was in the lineup. Due to necessity I think Harden reverted to old habits and it's hard to break when he's carrying the whole team and the team's still winning.

The injury to Harden is a blessing in disguise since it's allows us to ween the guys off that style of play, to me that 4th quarter of the Rockets game and the Hornets game is easily the best the team has looked in a month. High energy and flowing on both ends of the floor.
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,955
And1: 213
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#182 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:47 pm

Best defensive game I think they’ve played this season. Shocking that it all came when DJ didn’t play. Lol

I wonder if the nets would have started the game so well if Jordan was starting. Aldridge contested shots, rebounded and helped on defense. It’s crazy how a little effort to do that makes such a big impact. The nets always seem to start games slow and then come back when DJ sits.
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,955
And1: 213
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#183 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:51 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Blake and LMA are turning back the clock with this team. I don't see how we lose


You dont see how we lose? the 3 games prior to tonight it took eveyrthing we had to hold on to beat 3 of the worst teams in all of basketball.



That’s because DJ started :lol: :lol:
sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 648
And1: 678
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#184 » by sashaturiaf » Fri Apr 2, 2021 12:53 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:Best defensive game I think they’ve played this season. Shocking that it all came when DJ didn’t play. Lol

I wonder if the nets would have started the game so well if Jordan was starting. Aldridge contested shots, rebounded and helped on defense. It’s crazy how a little effort to do that makes such a big impact. The nets always seem to start games slow and then come back when DJ sits.


Yes slow starts have been the norm recently. Feels the Nets are playing from behind every game, and Claxtons outrageously good net ratings support that.

LMA didn't look like a world beater on defense or anything but just the fact he was doing fundamental big man things like challenging shots vertically and boxing out is still an improvement over what we had.
therealbig3
RealGM
Posts: 26,551
And1: 12,572
Joined: Jul 31, 2010

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#185 » by therealbig3 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:18 pm

Sarah Kustok can get it all day.

Or more realistically, 27 seconds.
NetsJets
Pro Prospect
Posts: 978
And1: 187
Joined: Oct 27, 2015
   

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#186 » by NetsJets » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:33 pm

I like that the Nets allow the players to play their game. They didn’t bring in Aldridge and told him he only had to be a rim roller and pick and roll guy and score only on offensive rebounds. They ran plays for him in the post, he posted up and his post ups allowed for guys to get open looks for 3’s this is a dimension this team hasn’t had since Brook Lopez was here.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#187 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:34 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Blake and LMA are turning back the clock with this team. I don't see how we lose


You dont see how we lose? the 3 games prior to tonight it took eveyrthing we had to hold on to beat 3 of the worst teams in all of basketball.



That’s because DJ started :lol: :lol:


I dont know how you can blame DJ playing poor for 12 minutes on us trailing for 44 minutes before we took our first lead
User avatar
Sharcm1
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,955
And1: 213
Joined: Jun 15, 2002

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#188 » by Sharcm1 » Fri Apr 2, 2021 1:45 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
You dont see how we lose? the 3 games prior to tonight it took eveyrthing we had to hold on to beat 3 of the worst teams in all of basketball.



That’s because DJ started :lol: :lol:


I dont know how you can blame DJ playing poor for 12 minutes on us trailing for 44 minutes before we took our first lead


It’s about setting a tone. Any one of these nba teams can get hot shooting. It’s much easier if you let them have wide open shots. Too many teams that are considered the worst at offense seem to do very well in the beginning of games against the nets. Hard to cool a team off when they are allowed to get hot in the first place. The hornets last night never had a chance to get hot and that’s because the nets started well and maintained it. And no this isn’t all on DJ. But too often in the first quarters of games they give up open threes on missed rotations and offensive rebounds and put backs because he doesn’t rebound.

I know you want to defend the guy. He hasn’t been horrible all the time of us. But his lack of effort is causing them to constantly fall behind in games. He is a -1.7 in the plus minus stat for the season. If he just put in some effort it would help. But until he does that all the nets need is a big man who plays a big man game. Like Aldridge did last night. Get rebounds, set screens, block out, contest shots. Aldridge isn’t an all nba defender but he doesn’t have to be. He just has to be decent. And look at the impact it made. Hope it continues.
NetsJets
Pro Prospect
Posts: 978
And1: 187
Joined: Oct 27, 2015
   

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#189 » by NetsJets » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:04 pm

NetsJets wrote:I like that the Nets allow the players to play their game. They didn’t bring in Aldridge and told him he only had to be a rim roller and pick and roll guy and score only on offensive rebounds. They ran plays for him in the post, he posted up and his post ups allowed for guys to get open looks for 3’s this is a dimension this team hasn’t had since Brook Lopez was here.

Look at all these open looks guys got based on his post ups.

Read on Twitter
?s=21
User avatar
Stone
Veteran
Posts: 2,506
And1: 513
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Jersey
 

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#190 » by Stone » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:29 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:Hey guys!

Remember that annoyingly optimistic dude who used to pop up in game threads after losses with a ray of sunshine? You know, the guy who used to say stuff like, "we're 5 missed free throws away from being undefeated at home" (not an actual quote, but you get the drift). Like, we were on the verge of greatness, and his entire message was to chill and enjoy the ride. Now we're there, we're in that nirvana of really really good basketball.

Where did that guy go, I wonder?


Speedy ?......He's been MIA
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#191 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 2:41 pm

NetsJets wrote:I like that the Nets allow the players to play their game. They didn’t bring in Aldridge and told him he only had to be a rim roller and pick and roll guy and score only on offensive rebounds. They ran plays for him in the post, he posted up and his post ups allowed for guys to get open looks for 3’s this is a dimension this team hasn’t had since Brook Lopez was here.


We have an unreal amount of offensive talent. there is basically no one in the rotation who cant shoot besides brown/claxton/DJ and they all rim roll and only 1 of them is typically on the floor at 1 time
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#192 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:08 pm

Sharcm1 wrote:
Prokorov wrote:
Sharcm1 wrote:

That’s because DJ started :lol: :lol:


I dont know how you can blame DJ playing poor for 12 minutes on us trailing for 44 minutes before we took our first lead


It’s about setting a tone. Any one of these nba teams can get hot shooting. It’s much easier if you let them have wide open shots. Too many teams that are considered the worst at offense seem to do very well in the beginning of games against the nets. Hard to cool a team off when they are allowed to get hot in the first place. The hornets last night never had a chance to get hot and that’s because the nets started well and maintained it. And no this isn’t all on DJ. But too often in the first quarters of games they give up open threes on missed rotations and offensive rebounds and put backs because he doesn’t rebound.

I know you want to defend the guy. He hasn’t been horrible all the time of us. But his lack of effort is causing them to constantly fall behind in games. He is a -1.7 in the plus minus stat for the season. If he just put in some effort it would help. But until he does that all the nets need is a big man who plays a big man game. Like Aldridge did last night. Get rebounds, set screens, block out, contest shots. Aldridge isn’t an all nba defender but he doesn’t have to be. He just has to be decent. And look at the impact it made. Hope it continues.


I mean, the first quarter the hornets got a TON of open three point looks. they just didnt fall early. when they did we were already up 25. But go back and look. they had open look after open look.

I get everyone hates DJ. but saying he is the cause for 3 straight down to the wire near losses to awful teams is absurd given his minutes played and how poorly so many other guys player when he was off the floor. Like is DJ the reason we couldnt inbound the ball 2 straight games when he was on the sideline?
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,950
And1: 7,110
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#193 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 2, 2021 3:46 pm

Its obvious to everyone else that Jordan is awful.

He is constantly targeted defensively because he can't move. He doesn't protect the rim at all anymore. Just stands there and looks stupid.

This guy was getting man handled by Alex Len.

Aldridge is already a better rim protector.

Beyond that hes a zero offensively. They never guard him and they don't have to.

LMA requires constant defense and even doubles which opens up the floor for everyone else.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
3pt_chucker
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,118
And1: 968
Joined: Apr 23, 2013
Location: Practicing my 3's
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#194 » by 3pt_chucker » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:17 pm

Missed the game last night but got to watch a replay this morning and I brook out laughing several times. This team is just a joy to watch offensively. The amount of versatility, unselfishness and skill on display (11 Players deep?!!) might just be unprecedented.

Hopefully in 2 weeks we can get the Big3 together, so they can build chemistry and they don't have to play 40+ mins every night.

King: Kyrie
Knight: Green/Shamet/TJ
Jester: n/a
Reverend X wrote:Kai aka kaire... aka Kyrie is a celestial being, a prophet of sorts...taking many shapes and forms. Currently in the form of a black guy dribbling an orange sphere.
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#195 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:45 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its obvious to everyone else that Jordan is awful.

He is constantly targeted defensively because he can't move. He doesn't protect the rim at all anymore. Just stands there and looks stupid.

This guy was getting man handled by Alex Len.

Aldridge is already a better rim protector.

Beyond that hes a zero offensively. They never guard him and they don't have to.

LMA requires constant defense and even doubles which opens up the floor for everyone else.



DJ:

positive DBPM
positive DRPM
positive DRAPM
above league avg at center in PPP allowed/Drtg, DWS, blocker per36

somehow thats "negative defensively"

he absolutely cant be ignored on offense. you cant ignore someone screening you. and if you ignore him post screen he is still a good finisher on lobs.

LMA:
negative DBPM
negative DRPM
negative DRAPM

but is somehow some amazing defender now because we blew out charlotte and they missed a billion open shots in a game that was never close. it being a 1 game sample doesnt matter and spurs fans who all love and rave about the guy still said in the buyout threads he is a god awful defender.

Cody zeller not being able to stop him and zeller or biyombo needing help isnt a feather in anyones cap.

The idea DJ is awful is not based in reality. the idea LMA is not a bad defender is not based in reality.
DarkXaero
RealGM
Posts: 11,781
And1: 3,964
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
   

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#196 » by DarkXaero » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:52 pm

Lol at using flawed stats to show DJ being a positive defensively.
Papi_swav
Head Coach
Posts: 6,657
And1: 2,670
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#197 » by Papi_swav » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:55 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Papi_swav wrote:Bro what are these cheap shots u speak of? You just mad because I shut u down all the time. You try to pick a fight with me then I bite your head off and leave you stuck. tell them why u really mad son. And cry to the mods? Please tell me when and where? please do. You tried to report me one time like a girl so cut it out. I speak facts all the time and u tight cuz I keeps it a stack. You are very delusional bro you need to see somebody. Or lay off the addy


I reported you for cursing and throwing our profanities after the mods told me to report you isntead of coming at you.

And yea sometimes I disappear because I have important things to do in the real world. Like a job and a business to run and family. I don't always have time to be on here arguing with u because I know this is a hobby of yours trying to pick a fight with ppl over the internet. Now you're calling me delusional lol. I'm pretty sure 99% of the guys in this thread knows who the delu-lu one here.


you leave after taking your cheap shots like always. see you in a month after this one

So why are you over here saying that I cry to the mods when you are the one running to them ? bro are you ok? do u actually here yourself or do you even proof read your crap? U make no sense. How are u going to try to come at me for "crying to the mods" when you're the one crying to them? something is really wrong with u.

I don't take cheap shots, I speak the truth and come direct and it hits a nerve with u, that's why u really mad. I don't sugar coat nothing. U came at me, so I strike back and u get your little feelings hurt. You always trying to say something slick at the end of your sentences and when I slap u up for it you play victim. You are thee worst type of person. You act just like a Karen :lol: carry on. I will be here since I got time this month cuz
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#198 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 6:59 pm

3pt_chucker wrote:Missed the game last night but got to watch a replay this morning and I brook out laughing several times. This team is just a joy to watch offensively. The amount of versatility, unselfishness and skill on display (11 Players deep?!!) might just be unprecedented.

Hopefully in 2 weeks we can get the Big3 together, so they can build chemistry and they don't have to play 40+ mins every night.

King: Kyrie
Knight: Green/Shamet/TJ
Jester: n/a


Offense is top 1 all-time. even if one of the big 3 are missing
Shooting and shooting depth is top 1 all-time
Cumulative bbiq is top 1 all-time

Defense, coaching, injuries. those are the landmines we need to avoid. We struggled post all-star break to stop some of the worst teams/offenses. im interested to see how we look vs. philly and some top end offensive players. Who do we put in as stoppers when we need a stop.

IS brown/Green/Claxton enough? i think it probably is. id feel better with an MKG/RHJ/Shump on this roster. sometimes its 90 seconds and 2 or 3 stops that win or lose you a playoff game. whose that guy we bring in for those stops?

When you're tied or ahead we have the guns to go point for point. but if we are down 5 late, you need to get a stop... you can just out score at that point
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,404
And1: 12,682
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#199 » by Prokorov » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:02 pm

Papi_swav wrote:So why are you over here saying that I cry to the mods when you are the one running to them ? bro are you ok? do u actually here yourself or do you even proof read your crap? U make no sense. How are u going to try to come at me for "crying to the mods" when you're the one crying to them? something is really wrong with u.


I'm not crying to them. they have told me to report you for cursing and insults instead of going back and forth with you. You go to them because you cant stand me and i get under your skin and have some weird obsession with me.

I don't take cheap shots, I speak the truth and come direct and it hits a nerve with u, that's why u really mad. I don't sugar coat nothing. U came at me, so I strike back and u get your little feelings hurt. You always trying to say something slick at the end of your sentences and when I slap u up for it you play victim. You are thee worst type of person. You act just like a Karen :lol: carry on. I will be here since I got time this month cuz


Exactly... you take you cheap shots. you name call. then you go into hiding. this is the exact type of thing I was saying. you cant just put me on ignore. you need to take your shots. if that makes you feel big, then i guess do you.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,950
And1: 7,110
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: GT: Hornets @ The Evil Empire (Nets) - Thursday, 04/01/21 | 7:30pm | TNT & YES 

Post#200 » by Hello Brooklyn » Fri Apr 2, 2021 7:03 pm

Prokorov wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:Its obvious to everyone else that Jordan is awful.

He is constantly targeted defensively because he can't move. He doesn't protect the rim at all anymore. Just stands there and looks stupid.

This guy was getting man handled by Alex Len.

Aldridge is already a better rim protector.

Beyond that hes a zero offensively. They never guard him and they don't have to.

LMA requires constant defense and even doubles which opens up the floor for everyone else.



DJ:

positive DBPM
positive DRPM
positive DRAPM
above league avg at center in PPP allowed/Drtg, DWS, blocker per36

somehow thats "negative defensively"

he absolutely cant be ignored on offense. you cant ignore someone screening you. and if you ignore him post screen he is still a good finisher on lobs.

LMA:
negative DBPM
negative DRPM
negative DRAPM

but is somehow some amazing defender now because we blew out charlotte and they missed a billion open shots in a game that was never close. it being a 1 game sample doesnt matter and spurs fans who all love and rave about the guy still said in the buyout threads he is a god awful defender.

Cody zeller not being able to stop him and zeller or biyombo needing help isnt a feather in anyones cap.

The idea DJ is awful is not based in reality. the idea LMA is not a bad defender is not based in reality.


Again I don't care about all these useless defensive stats.

I've watched Jordan play with my eyes and he is constantly targeted. He does not protect the rim. Players have a field day with him there.

Nobody is calling Aldridge an amazing defender so stop with the strawmans. But hes certainly better than Jordan.

Your crush on Jordan is seriously getting old. Everyone else is sick of him on this board and I'm glad Nash finally has another option.

We will be a better team without him. Just wait and see.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant

Return to Brooklyn Nets