ImageImageImageImageImage

Who would you cut when we have too?

Moderators: NyCeEvO, Rich Rane

Whiskey Slick
Senior
Posts: 541
And1: 195
Joined: Jan 17, 2021
       

Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#1 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:49 am

Even with Dinwiddie on the non-active IL,
we still have 16 active players and will eventually have to cutdown to 15.

That said, who would you release to cut us down to 15?

TLC, Chiozza, Alize, TJ, Shamet, Perry or other (specify)?
WHERE BROOKLYN AT? 8-)

ON A QUEST TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. :nod:
Whiskey Slick
Senior
Posts: 541
And1: 195
Joined: Jan 17, 2021
       

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#2 » by Whiskey Slick » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:54 am

I have a feeling we would regret losing Perry in the future.

Ditto Alize.

And I like all three of the Guards we have on the bench, including Chiozza who is a real PG.

So if we have to lose a player, and I know he doesn't stink, he's had his ups and downs, but I'd have to cut TLC.

How bout you?
WHERE BROOKLYN AT? 8-)

ON A QUEST TO WIN A CHAMPIONSHIP. :nod:
sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 645
And1: 675
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#3 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 5:49 am

At full strength it'll have to be Chiozza, followed by Perry.

Personally I'd choose TLC but he has good size and can hit a 3, that's probably enough to get him across the line.
Kiddlovesnets
Sophomore
Posts: 101
And1: 38
Joined: Mar 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#4 » by Kiddlovesnets » Thu Apr 8, 2021 6:33 am

Chiozza is actually quite decent as a backup PG, he lacks size but hes fine as a playmaker. I'd say we waive Perry, hes nowhere near ready to play even the backup center for a playoffs team, adding on the fact that hes only 6'8''.
Papi_swav
Head Coach
Posts: 6,632
And1: 2,667
Joined: Jan 03, 2016
     

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#5 » by Papi_swav » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:18 am

TLC definitely. But by the looks of it we kind of are in need of a guard/wing body so i think he stays. I think perry is the obvious cut here even though I would like to keep him. We have a enough big men depth, we need another wing or 2. I think cheeze stays as well, he can run the point decent. If it isn't Harden or Kyrie , I wouldn't trust anybody else running the point on this team.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
Posts: 15,343
And1: 848
Joined: Jun 19, 2007
       

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#6 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:50 am

We don't need to cut anyone.

We have 14 guaranteed contracts on our books, 1 10-day (A. Johnson) and 2 2-way contracts (Chiozza and Perry). League rules allow up to 15 guaranteed or 10-day at any given time, plus 2 2-way guys for a total of 17.

Now, we have a decision to make today, the last day of playoff eligibility. Will we keep Alizé, and re-sign him to a guaranteed deal like we did with Cabarrot last year? Or will we swoop in and grab a veteran FA or buyout guy? We'll know soon.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 645
And1: 675
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#7 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:02 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:We don't need to cut anyone.

We have 14 guaranteed contracts on our books, 1 10-day (A. Johnson) and 2 2-way contracts (Chiozza and Perry). League rules allow up to 15 guaranteed or 10-day at any given time, plus 2 2-way guys for a total of 17.

Now, we have a decision to make today, the last day of playoff eligibility. Will we keep Alizé, and re-sign him to a guaranteed deal like we did with Cabarrot last year? Or will we swoop in and grab a veteran FA or buyout guy? We'll know soon.


Are 2 way guys eligible for the playoffs? If that is the case I can't see a move being made. They've invested too much into Perry to swap him out for a random 2 way pickup, and Cheese is needed in the short term with all the backcourt injuries.

If we can get Alize on an economical 3 year contract with some team options that'll be a big win. Will need to ride as is with this roster even if the backcourt is a bit thin. But really the key is getting Kyrie or Harden healthy for the games that matter, we aren't the same team (championship favorite) if either is not out there. No random pickup in April is going to matter compared to that.
British Bulldog
Ballboy
Posts: 20
And1: 15
Joined: Apr 06, 2021
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#8 » by British Bulldog » Thu Apr 8, 2021 1:34 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:We don't need to cut anyone.

We have 14 guaranteed contracts on our books, 1 10-day (A. Johnson) and 2 2-way contracts (Chiozza and Perry). League rules allow up to 15 guaranteed or 10-day at any given time, plus 2 2-way guys for a total of 17.

Now, we have a decision to make today, the last day of playoff eligibility. Will we keep Alizé, and re-sign him to a guaranteed deal like we did with Cabarrot last year? Or will we swoop in and grab a veteran FA or buyout guy? We'll know soon.


My answer to the original question is TLC.

Would have to think that keeping Alize is a priority really obviously depending upon economics.
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,884
And1: 7,045
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#9 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:10 pm

You guys are crazy for cutting Perry. Hes so young and full of potential.

I would for sure cut Chiozza over him. Hes already 25 and can't shoot.

The only reason were playing him is because we literally have no backup PG.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,884
And1: 7,045
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#10 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 8, 2021 2:11 pm

TLC sucks but can be useful on defense. I wouldn't cut him.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
Kiddlovesnets
Sophomore
Posts: 101
And1: 38
Joined: Mar 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#11 » by Kiddlovesnets » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:10 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:You guys are crazy for cutting Perry. Hes so young and full of potential.


Hes young but I dont see any potential in him. He cant shoot, mediocre finisher at best, plays average defense and hes only 6'8'' so he will be undersized if playing as center(unlike Claxton who is 6'11'').
sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 645
And1: 675
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#12 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 3:53 pm

Perry doesn't look the most talented guy out there but I trust Marks and I think it's pretty clear they see something in him.

Wouldn't be writing off a rookie this early, think Perry is here to stay for another season at least. If he's not showing flashes by next season maybe then you'd think about moving on...
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,884
And1: 7,045
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#13 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:02 pm

Kiddlovesnets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:You guys are crazy for cutting Perry. Hes so young and full of potential.


Hes young but I dont see any potential in him. He cant shoot, mediocre finisher at best, plays average defense and hes only 6'8'' so he will be undersized if playing as center(unlike Claxton who is 6'11'').


Dude hes literally 21. Youre crazy to just give up on him based on a few bad games.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
FlipFlopShot
Pro Prospect
Posts: 981
And1: 329
Joined: Jun 12, 2015
     

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#14 » by FlipFlopShot » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:12 pm

Cut Cheese
Cut Tyler Johnson
Cut TLC

Trade Dinwiddie and Deandre next season
sashaturiaf
Senior
Posts: 645
And1: 675
Joined: Jan 18, 2021
 

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#15 » by sashaturiaf » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:15 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:
Kiddlovesnets wrote:
Hello Brooklyn wrote:You guys are crazy for cutting Perry. Hes so young and full of potential.


Hes young but I dont see any potential in him. He cant shoot, mediocre finisher at best, plays average defense and hes only 6'8'' so he will be undersized if playing as center(unlike Claxton who is 6'11'').


Dude hes literally 21. Youre crazy to just give up on him based on a few bad games.


He looks 41 though. Both the face and physique don't say 21

Maybe that subconsciously makes people less patient with him ..
User avatar
Hello Brooklyn
General Manager
Posts: 9,884
And1: 7,045
Joined: Dec 24, 2012
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#16 » by Hello Brooklyn » Thu Apr 8, 2021 4:22 pm

FlipFlopShot wrote:Cut Cheese
Cut Tyler Johnson
Cut TLC

Trade Dinwiddie and Deandre next season


Dinwiddie is a FA. And nobody wants Deandre lol.

If we could give up Deandre I would do it in a heart beat.

I think Johnson and TLC are great third stringers. IDK why we would cut them tbh.
HEAT33 wrote:Nets not even the best team in NY without Durant
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,306
And1: 12,617
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#17 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:09 pm

Whiskey Slick wrote:Even with Dinwiddie on the non-active IL,
we still have 16 active players and will eventually have to cutdown to 15.

That said, who would you release to cut us down to 15?

TLC, Chiozza, Alize, TJ, Shamet, Perry or other (specify)?


No brainer. Perry.

He provides 0 come playoff time. We already have a tough situation where TWO of the following group will be out of the rotation:

LMA/Blake/Green/DJ/Claxton

We have 2 starting calibur bigs sitting on the bench. depth is not a concern at that point.

TLC is dog trash, but we may at some point need to put him on the floor for a couple minutes with TJ/Shamet coming off injury once they return, Harden with a hammy, and Kyrie not being the most durable. he sucks, but keep the shooter over the big with 0.0% chance to play

Cheese is depth. gotta keep him
Johnson is the only big/athletic wing other then maybe brown, gotta keep him

MY heart says throw TLC in the dumpster and haul it off but my brain says perry
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,306
And1: 12,617
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#18 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:11 pm

Kiddlovesnets wrote:Chiozza is actually quite decent as a backup PG, he lacks size but hes fine as a playmaker. I'd say we waive Perry, hes nowhere near ready to play even the backup center for a playoffs team, adding on the fact that hes only 6'8''.


This.

Chiozza is also really quick. that can come in handy situationally, if only for 1 minute in a pinch to inbound or trap.

If Perry has to play, its not a good sign. it would mean LMA/Blake/DJ/Clax/Green all stunk, got hurt, or couldnt get it done
User avatar
Prokorov
RealGM
Posts: 38,306
And1: 12,617
Joined: Dec 06, 2013
       

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#19 » by Prokorov » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:14 pm

Hello Brooklyn wrote:You guys are crazy for cutting Perry. Hes so young and full of potential.

I would for sure cut Chiozza over him. Hes already 25 and can't shoot.

The only reason were playing him is because we literally have no backup PG.


Cheese 37% from three for his career, which isnt bad considering how in and out his role is. I mean if he goes its whatever but i can actually enviosion some scenarios where he would see the floor in the playoffs.

I dont see the potential with Perry. avg size, avg athleticism, avg shooter, avg defender avg finisher. he works hard. What is his ceiling? Less athletic Anthony Bennet?
DarkXaero
RealGM
Posts: 11,711
And1: 3,932
Joined: Mar 25, 2011
   

Re: Who would you cut when we have too? 

Post#20 » by DarkXaero » Thu Apr 8, 2021 7:25 pm

No one needs to be cut so thread is pointless.

Return to Brooklyn Nets